A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:20 pm

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:He's sending a group of battleships against bombers in a harbor.

And we all know how that went the first time they tried it. ;)
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Asami Sato » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:45 pm

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:And we all know how that went the first time they tried it. ;)

Nothing beats the epic fail of the Spanish Armada, my friend.

But when you have someone called Iroh commanding your Spanish Armada, you know you will kick serious butt. :cool:

:salute:
Avatar: Princess Azula, the sociopathic badass sexy bitch that will kill you by just glaring at your face.
When I get a boyfriend: "Together, we will be the strongest couple in the world! We will DOMINATE THE EARTH!"
"Zuzu! You don't look so good!"
"I support the shipping of TDSA and Aiko Heiwa." - Defectron

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:33 am

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:He's sending a group of battleships against bombers in a harbor. That is quite literally the second worse naval situation out there. The only way it could be worse is if the harbor was mined.

Subs, we haven't seen any of those yet. All technology seen in AtLA have shown up in one form or another, we're overdue for something submersible.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Asami Sato » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:10 pm

They should make U-Boats now that we're at it.

Has anyone mentioned how Amon tanked blood bending like a boss? :lol:

I hope Amon goes insane and spares us from any more Mako.
Avatar: Princess Azula, the sociopathic badass sexy bitch that will kill you by just glaring at your face.
When I get a boyfriend: "Together, we will be the strongest couple in the world! We will DOMINATE THE EARTH!"

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:07 am

So, uh...that was not a very good season.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:20 am

^I kind of wish now that I'd been following it based on how mad /co/'s getting. Damn. Was it really that awful?

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:42 am

Oh dude, you should see the SA megathread right now. They've begun to feed on each other.

It wasn't awful but it definitely had difficulties - it definitely feels like a 20-episode storyline jammed up a 12-episode ass at times - and the finale winds up bearing the load of all the backed-up plot and alternates between infodumping and leaving hueg plotholes before saving the day with a rather literal deus ex machina that feels tacky as fuck. The fundamentals of a decent show are there, but I'd say that the format and the channel together kind of ruined whatever the creators had in mind.

SPOILER: Show
How did Amon take away anyone's bending?
Also, poor Asami, jesus. I don't expect a Nickelodeon show to have like nuanced romantic interaction or anything but damn, son.

e:
some goon, who is right, except about the 'self-imposed' bit wrote:Yesterday my problem with the show was that they were pushing so hard to fit this whole story into the (apparently self-imposed) 12 episode limit that they left themselves without time to let the viewers establish any sort of connection with the heroes or the villains.

I feel like not only did the finale not have much to show for all that rushing, it rushed even harder. None of the things that happened were necessarily bad, but they needed way more time to let the impact of all these plot points sink in. Instead they were rushing so hard to cram it all in that it verged on self-parody.

The 14 episode order and the fact that, again, there wasn't a guarantee of a follow-up season when production started has me worried that they're going to use the same type of storytelling next season too, and that would be a shame.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:48 am

On a technical level it was excellent. Truly amazing television.

On a storytelling level? Yeah, very much a disappointment. This felt like a regular anime series - 26 episodes - squeezed into 12. All the right beats were there for a grand moving story but EVERYTHING was rushed & all real character beats were just glossed over. Unlike the original show which allowed the characters to grow and become surprisingly complex for an American animation, in this series everyone pretty much stayed at one dimension. A lot of important beats - like Korra actually practicing Airbending which she only did in Episode 2 - were pushed aside for plot developments. These storytelling gaps become especially prevalent in the finale when at her darkest point Korra immediately knows how to Airbend even though she has not shown any affinity for it or even shown trying to practice the art. The show (Avatar included) has always suffered from Deus Ex Machina-itis but there were a few too many in the finale for my taste.

I'm personally kind've bummed they ended the Amon storyline in this season. Once I heard the creators had added a second season I was hoping for something truly special, that this season could end with Amon in power & next season is when the heroes go on a journey to retake the city & in turn grow as people. Alas, it seems adding a second season is just that, they added a second stand alone season.

I'd recommend watching the show. The animation is superb and it has a few fun elements - love the PolarBearDog. But it is truly a MINIseries. Take away all the commercial breaks and the whole thing should only be about 4 hours long. A good afternoon watch.

But in the end, stripping away all the good character building moments leaves you with a story that once it's over just leaves you unfulfilled. You watched a story & when it ends you just go "That's it. Okay, what's on next." You don't really grow to love the characters (Can't get the love for Asami. On paper she has a character arch but nothing is done with it in the show, it just kinda happens for plot convenience & in the end she just comes off as a nice piece of character design) so there's nothing to latch onto once it's finished. Which is a shame cause I'd say the first half offered such promise with setting up the story, alas the second half just couldn't follow up on such promise.

'The Legend of Korra' is a fun watch but 'Avatar: The Last Airbender" with it's far slower pace, grander story, & much richer character development is the true find.

I'll be back for Season 2 but they better actually allow these characters to grow. I mean to me Mako has no character, he's still a tired Zuko knockoff.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Ok, well that certainly wasn't bad though not as good as the first series. Yeah like everyone said, the first series had better characters and pacing though I do think Korra had a more interesting concept to go off of, it just wasn't allowed to develope. One thing I did like better in Korra was the main villain as Amon was more interesting then Ozai was. Too bad he's done like dinner in the 12th episode I was kind of hoping we would see more of him in the next season.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:54 pm

We should probably tell the producers about this if we think it was too rushed. They'll listen to their fans; Nick has been pretty good about that (from what I've seen).
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Yeah I do think some more development would do a lot of good, if you compare the characters at the end of korra with how the atla characters were at the end of season 1, the gap in development really isn't huge. So I think more time is what this needs to get up to par with the first series.

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Asami Sato » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:31 pm

This series, and this particular season, should've been longer. While I love this show, it did lack more development.

So General Sexy was Gallipoli'd, Amon was disappointing, and not enough Irosami. :ehh:

I still love it. :toothy:

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:40 pm

There's balls, there's brass balls, and then there's unambiguously depicting a murder-suicide on a TV-Y7 rated show that airs on Nickelodeon at 11 AM on Saturdays.

Shine on, you wonderful crazy bastards.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Personally, I loved the finale, so I don't see where all the flak is coming from.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:00 pm

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:Personally, I loved the finale, so I don't see where all the flak is coming from.

I liked it too, what I didn't like was how overall the story was kind of compressed, this should have been stretched across both seasons.

But yeah the finnally was cool and I still think Amon was a more intersting villain then Ozai even though some parts of his story got rushed.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:26 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:I liked it too, what I didn't like was how overall the story was kind of compressed, this should have been stretched across both seasons.

If you really wanted the story to be decompressed you didn't need an entire 'nother season. At most you only would need two more episodes. Coincidentally, the second season is going to be 2 episodes longer than the first.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

BDSMftw
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BDSMftw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:38 am

So... I made this post. About Legend Of Korra (duh, right?) buuut about 2 minutes after I uploaded it, it got deleted.

.........I have no idea why.........

so being the everlasting optimist..........here it is.

[url]http://jaytodd-1129.tumblr.com/[/url]

try and delete it now.
THinGs WIll aLwAyS wOrK OUt SoMeHOw::RELAX::most important thing is to have a heart

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:45 am

^My bandwidth aches just by hovering over that link.

Ah, wait. Judging by the gifs and images, I'm assuming this all boils down to some kind of shipping issue.

BDSMftw
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BDSMftw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:45 am

You´re right, it does, because the one and only beef I have with Legend Of Korra is that love triangle or rectangle or whatever the hell it turned into during the show. That and the way Mako plays with Asami´s feelings.

Having said that, I thought it was great, and I was really impressed since I was a Last Airbender fan first, and was kind of reluctant to trying this one out. I was pleasently surprised, though.

Sorry about your bandwidth, btw uo_o

I hope it didn´t lag too much.
THinGs WIll aLwAyS wOrK OUt SoMeHOw::RELAX::most important thing is to have a heart

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:34 pm

'The Legend of Korra' is no longer a mini-series. Korra had a showing at ComicCon & lots of talk was on about BOOK TWO: SPIRITS & apparently Nickelodeon has just picked up the show for a total of 52 EPISODES SPREAD OVER FOUR BOOKS!!!

So fellas there are at least three more grandscale adventures with Korra & Co coming along over the next few years. For now. Whew.

Anywho, according to the crew at ComicCon Book Two is going to dive heavily into the spirit world & the Spirits themselves may actually be the big baddies of the next season. And to all those complaining about the lack of the Avatar State so far, seems Korra is going to abuse that power in Book Two.

Some Animatics/Scenes shown from ComicCon:
*Bolin gives a rousing speech to the Fire Ferrets, who are on a losing streak. Then we see that he’s talking to two new Fire Ferrets that we don’t know. Where are Mako and Korra?
*Well, Mako is a cop now. Cut to him chasing a criminal on his bike. He takes a ramp to jump over the truck, turn around in mid-air, and throw fire at the windshield to stop them before tossing off a one-line and sending them to jail.
*Asami lands a plane wearing and hops out wearing these great Amelia Earhart duds. Her new mission: “putting Future Industries back on top.”
*Korra races the airbender kids on Aang’s patented whirling orb of air. They are neck and neck until Korra goes into the Avatar state and speeds ahead. Tenzin properly scolds her: “The Avatar state is not to be used as a booster rocket.”
*The best sequence showed the “first of many” spirits rising out of the ground. The ethereal spirit pins Korra against the wall, so she goes into the Avatar state, kicking off a great fight. I can’t wait for more of the spirit world.

Anywho, as I've said before I enjoyed the first season of 'Korra' a great deal up to a point but felt they REALLY dropped the ball on the finale with a rushed climax & some shoddy characterization. I still hate how several of the characters we had followed over the course of the season (coughBolincough) were shafted aside in the final episodes to make room for General Zuko, I mean Iroh, a character we had never met before, just so he could have a big action set piece. It was bad storytelling.

Still, this news is pretty great & actually gives the creators a chance to explore some unique areas of this universe with smaller story arches & hopefully in some of the following seasons they'll have a much better mix between character & plot. I certainly hope we won't have to deal with much more romance malaise now that Mako & Korra are a couple.

Collider Article:
http://collider.com/comic-con-legend-of-korra/178642/

Live Blogging with Lots of New Character & Location Artwork - Season 2 seems like it will especially focus on the Northern & Southern Water Tribe regions of this universe-
http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/sdcc-2012-korra-panel-information/

An 'Evil' Spirit:
Image[/img]

Return to “Film and Video”