[LAEM] Director?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon May 11, 2009 10:30 am

Guyver Spawn wrote:David Lynch would be another amazing choice to.

But only if we want Evangelion to go from mindfuck to nigh incomprehensible. (although with totally sweet imagery)
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon May 11, 2009 2:20 pm

I wonder how Takashi Miike would execute this film? He always seems to stay close to the source material, but I don't think he'd ever be able to gather a budget for something as big as Evangelion.

etjusticepourtous
Adam

Postby etjusticepourtous » Mon May 11, 2009 10:44 pm

David Fincher

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 12, 2009 2:31 am

Miike doesn't have the maturity to handle a story like this.

Besides, he has a horrible track record, a common problem when you make 5 movies a year. For every film that's good theres about 6 you don't hear about because they're incredibly bad.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue May 12, 2009 4:56 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Miike doesn't have the maturity to handle a story like this.

WAT?

I admit, some of his movies are fairly mediocre, but they're still enjoyable. He's a better director than a writer. A lot of his movies that are disappointing are because the writing to begin with was terrible.

I don't think you really need someone mature to direct a Evangelion movie, but someone open minded. Hideki Anno and Takashi Miike are both that way.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue May 12, 2009 5:47 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Asuka (Alice) and Shinji (Sean) shipping be damned.

Still Asuka and Shinji according to Richard Taylor.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:As for Cloverfield being Eva like...well, when you're a huge fan of something you see it everywhere. Especially in places people didn't intend it to be.

... Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, relating Jim Carrey as Shinji was just disturbing in ways I never wish to dwell on ever again...

backseatjesus wrote:I don't think you really need someone mature to direct a Evangelion movie.

Lack of maturity (and financial needs) is what gave us the mangas. The film needs someone whose not afraid to think, and portray characters whom they quite possibly won't like. :smokin:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Tue May 12, 2009 10:47 am

Alaska Slim wrote:Lack of maturity (and financial needs) is what gave us the mangas. The film needs someone whose not afraid to think, and portray characters whom they quite possibly won't like. :smokin:

Something I've been pondering for a while is the fact that every time Evangelion has changed mediums, it's gone under some pretty significant changes, but for the most part the fans have been fine with it. I don't really see why the movie should be an exception-- stuff will change, and it's going to offer a different POV than the show, but I think that fans will come to like it.

Anyway, back on topic, I've toyed with the idea of Michael Gondry directing the film for a while. He can definitely handle some of the nuttier and more cerebral elements of Evangelion, and he's got a lot of visual style. The only two things I'd be worried about is 1) I've never seen him do action, and 2) I'd be afraid he'd suffer the "big budget curse." There's been more than one blockbuster in recent years that was directed by someone with indie street cred, but they didn't know how to handle a massive budget. However, there's plenty of examples of the opposite, as well. Gondry is directing the upcoming Green Hornet movie with Seth Rogen, and since that's going to have a fair sized budget I suppose we'll get to see just what Gondry is made of in terms of big budget stuff.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue May 12, 2009 1:26 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
Guyver Spawn wrote:David Lynch would be another amazing choice to.

But only if we want Evangelion to go from mindfuck to nigh incomprehensible. (although with totally sweet imagery)

David is good when it comes to mind fuck and tripy movies like Easerhead and Lost Highway. I wounder if he likes the series or not?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

trkk-KAAN
Lilith

What if Michael Bay directed The Live-Action EVA movie?

Postby trkk-KAAN » Thu May 24, 2012 4:06 pm

If Michael bay had directed evangelion I don't know whether it would be good or not because Shinji would be less emo and the plot would be terrible and it would be just explosives and fighting, what do you think?

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: What if Michael Bay directed The Live-Action EVA movie?

Postby SenorSquiid » Fri May 25, 2012 7:07 am

View Original Posttrkk-KAAN wrote:If Michael bay had directed evangelion I don't know whether it would be good or not because Shinji would be less emo and the plot would be terrible and it would be just explosives and fighting, what do you think?

I think if you would even consider Michael bay's Evangelion anything less than an idea so bad it's already the worst thing ever, in the theater of the mind, then you should take your brain to the shop and have then fix it asap.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 pm

While I mostly just hope this project will die, I'm gonna mention Josh Trank (Chronicle) as a strapping young director who "gets" teen angst and has a healthy appreciation for good anime.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:46 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:While I mostly just hope this project will die, I'm gonna mention Josh Trank (Chronicle) as a strapping young director who "gets" teen angst and has a healthy appreciation for good anime.

How was Chronicle? The trailer for it looped three or four times during every. single. commercial. break while I watched The Daily Show online, and I came to hate the thing's existence.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:42 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:David is good when it comes to mind fuck and tripy movies like Easerhead and Lost Highway. I wounder if he likes the series or not?

Old as fuck comment, but David is fully capable of carrying a straightforward story, considering that he's directed The Straight Story and Elephant Man

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:50 pm

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:How was Chronicle? The trailer for it looped three or four times during every. single. commercial. break while I watched The Daily Show online, and I came to hate the thing's existence.

Flawed, but I liked it quite a bit. IMO probably the biggest pleasant surprise to come along this year, cinema-wise.

Wrote about it here.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby SenorSquiid » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:20 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Old as fuck comment, but David is fully capable of carrying a straightforward story, considering that he's directed The Straight Story and Elephant Man

I love Lynch but I do not trust him to make big money scifi ever again ever ever. And that's coming from a guy who cherishes his Dune VHS.

But it would almost be worth it if he gets Kyle McLaughlin to play Gendo.
fnord

---
Ever.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:54 am

I don't think David Lynch would do big-budget sci-fi again if you paid him a million bucks.

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:12 pm

Ridley Scott or Zack Snyder.

I've said this before, but I think it'd be best for it to be a television series since you could pace the story better. And you could have multiple directors, too.
In Heaven everything is fine.
2% of people on internet forums are impressionable n

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:02 am

Aww hell naww, not Zack Snyder, he's a fucking terrible director.

If I had to make some serious suggestions, maybe Alfonso Cuarón, Ang Lee, Alex Proyas, Christopher Nolan, Duncan Jones, Danny Boyle, Steven Soderbergh or Apichatpong Weerasethakul. (Haha, not Weerasethakul, he would make the weirdest film imaginable)
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby SenorSquiid » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:27 am

View Original PostHenry Spencer wrote:
I've said this before, but I think it'd be best for it to be a television series since you could pace the story better. And you could have multiple directors, too.

They already did that. It's a show called Neon Genesis Evangelion. Apparently it did pretty well.
fnord

---
Ever.

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:28 pm

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:They already did that. It's a show called Neon Genesis Evangelion. Apparently it did pretty well.

LAETV, numbnuts. I'd still want Weta Workshop to be involved, though. Because that would be radder than a Rubik's Cube, yo.
In Heaven everything is fine.
2% of people on internet forums are impressionable n

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”