Eva Action Figures [2]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:21 pm

View Original PostArchaiel wrote:Hmmm, interesting angel figures.

SO I bought a second Revo Unit 02 so I could paint the pylons for use with my 04. I don't know if it is the paints I bought or just the task of trying to cover up a previous paint job but its not going so well. The normal pylons look horrible and the s-type pylons dont look much better. Only the s-type forearms came out decently and thats in comparison with the pylons. Seriously how the hell does kaiyodo get the paint so neat! Grahhhh! Perhaps luck shall be on my side with painting an uncolored resin pylon...

On the topic of resin casting these figures I have also hit a massive dead end. Just about every part can be replicated with the exception of the pelvis, abdomen and any part that is of the rubber consistency. At the moment my enthusiasm has been shot dead. -_-

On a brighter note for my birthday my brother bought me the Arch Gurren Lagann and Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann Revoltech figures! :D I never realized just how large the Eva Evo line was until I opened my Gurrens!

dude always use base colour before you repaint something, i recomend white since goes with anything,then try again, you can either do it with white color or buy one of those base paint apps.

]For the rubber part, just use silicone as a cast, but the process must be reverted, you must have a mold made out of resin or any other hard material like pvc and then pour the silicon to make the cast. You could also buy a polysomething that is rubbery but honstly, its TOO EXPENSIVE for a single cast of a toy part.
ANATA BAKA !?

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:29 pm

ZERUEL LOOKS AWESOME !!! always wanted one to diorama with unit 02, i just hope they are not very expensive, i'm already being butched by banditai cloth myth EXs.
Anyone knows the range price of these monster line ?

edit: oh good grief, i saw simlar figures on this line and they are the price of a cloth myth ex, for a bunch of plastic ? god damn it !!
ANATA BAKA !?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Rebuild of Evangelion PORTRAITS 8

Kaji figure included!!!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10180573
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:37 pm

More pictures of the moster arts angels !!

http://www.estatuaslimitededition.com/t10137-bandai-tamashii-features-03-monsters-arts
ANATA BAKA !?

insomniac
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby insomniac » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:00 pm

View Original PostArchaiel wrote:Hmmm, interesting angel figures.

SO I bought a second Revo Unit 02 so I could paint the pylons for use with my 04. I don't know if it is the paints I bought or just the task of trying to cover up a previous paint job but its not going so well. The normal pylons look horrible and the s-type pylons dont look much better. Only the s-type forearms came out decently and thats in comparison with the pylons. Seriously how the hell does kaiyodo get the paint so neat! Grahhhh! Perhaps luck shall be on my side with painting an uncolored resin pylon...

Are you hand painting these? If you're having trouble spreading out the paint evenly, you might need to thin it a tad bit.

On the topic of applying a coat of primer (base colour) as bladerj suggested, I find that a light grey actually makes it easier for paint to apply to than a white one. Gunze Sangyo makes a 500 primer, with a slight grainy texture, which makes the paint adhere to the parts better than the smoother, 1000 or 1500 Base Coat.

Might want to give masking a shot too, if you want to paint some of the details neatly, if you find it tough just being steady with the hand.

Painting is no easy task, and not a cheap one at that to do well! That's why I've stopped building kits. It's too time consuming, and often the cost of the painting material exceeds that of the kit itself!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Man... I don't recall having that much trouble with any of the figures I painted...
Are you considering that the normally criticized glossy finish of the Revos will make any type of paint harder to adhere?
You have to waste it away first...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:43 pm

View Original Postshaneva002 wrote:Hes probably not gonna be a day 1 preorder for me but I do plan on picking him up when I got more money to spare.

i doubt it, if you dont preorder you will never have it, NEVER
ANATA BAKA !?

Archaiel
Lilith

Postby Archaiel » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:56 pm

First off I'd like to thank you two, bladerj and insomniac, for taking the time to give me some advice. It is MUCH appreciated :)

Perhaps I should have elaborated more, the paints - other than the black - just do not seem to cover anything. If I apply it evenly the color does not dry opaquely enough so I have to apply numerous coats. On the other hand if I apply the paint without spreading it too much it dries unevenly creating a bumpy surface. My dad has been giving me advice and I trust his opinion as he used to paint model kits like it was his job however I think he is assuming that I started off with an uncolored piece instead of repainting one.

Oh and yes I am hand painting these.
I am using Testors brand acrylic model paints by the way. It could be the paint, I don't know. Honestly I have no clue about a lot of this stuff...

So at this point should I try to salvage the ruined parts by applying a base coat and starting over, or should I make resin duplicates and paint those?

If my 04 wasn't defective I wouldn't be forced to do this.... *sigh*...
Avatar: Eva Unit 6.66 LCFL (My original design)

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:44 pm

View Original PostArchaiel wrote:First off I'd like to thank you two, bladerj and insomniac, for taking the time to give me some advice. It is MUCH appreciated :)

Perhaps I should have elaborated more, the paints - other than the black - just do not seem to cover anything. If I apply it evenly the color does not dry opaquely enough so I have to apply numerous coats. On the other hand if I apply the paint without spreading it too much it dries unevenly creating a bumpy surface. My dad has been giving me advice and I trust his opinion as he used to paint model kits like it was his job however I think he is assuming that I started off with an uncolored piece instead of repainting one.

Oh and yes I am hand painting these.
I am using Testors brand acrylic model paints by the way. It could be the paint, I don't know. Honestly I have no clue about a lot of this stuff...

So at this point should I try to salvage the ruined parts by applying a base coat and starting over, or should I make resin duplicates and paint those?

stupid question, are you using the right type of paint ? not all paint adhere to plastic, also take in consideration revoltech has a gloss finish, that may interfere in what type of paints sticks to it,thats why i said to use a primer. since revoltech are glossy i would personally paint the whole figure to be evenly in the same colour and use vernice ink.
ANATA BAKA !?

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:04 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:stupid question, are you using the right type of paint ? not all paint adhere to plastic, also take in consideration revoltech has a gloss finish, that may interfere in what type of paints sticks to it,thats why i said to use a primer. since revoltech are glossy i would personally paint the whole figure to be evenly in the same colour and use vernice ink.

I said that 3 posts ago ¬¬

I mentioned that you have to wear it out...
I used nail polish remover with one of those cotton things you use to clean your ears (dunno how they're called in English) to remove the glossy finish, after that, the new paint (which IS nail polish) adhered easily and evenly...
After that I added a new gloss (nail polish again) to cover everything, the reflected light will make the brush lines harder to see, making the color look even...

insomniac
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby insomniac » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:37 am

If you have the ability to make duplicates you might as well. Saving unevenly painted pieces are difficult. I'm not sure if you are going to be left with any panel line details after you prime over the painted piece AND paint it again.

Not too familiar with resin, but you must wash the parts with hot/warm water and soap, AND prime the pieces before painting them.

Many people use Testors, so they should be okay, although I don't have any experience with them myself.

I would also suggest making sure that you are using a soft bristle brush (usually light beige or white) for hand painting, one with a brush width of about 1 cm should be good enough to cover a Revoltech size figure without brush strokes showing if done properly. The hard-bristle ones (yellow-ish bristles) are impossible to work with, as they simply don't spread the paint around evenly. If you're using one of those, ditch them immediately!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Week post!
Took me 2 hours, so it can't be as bad as usual /:D

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:57 pm

i don't know if this can be considered action figure but !! the vtol

http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYKP-182
ANATA BAKA !?

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:08 am

It's strictly speaking not an action figure, but have some glorious Lego Eva Unit 78.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Week post!

Now making custom images for your cellphone!

Well... Just cancelled my MP Eva Order...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 am

More Shinji and Kaworu RAH figures -- This time the school uniform version!

http://17th-angel.tumblr.com/post/21704871946/finally-more-shinji-kaworu-action-figures-and

I'm still holding out hope for eventual Figma of Shinji and Kaworu.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dekabreak
Embryo

Postby Dekabreak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Definitely need to pick up the Shinji RAH, haven't gotten an RAH in a while

macrochaos
Lilith

Postby macrochaos » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:11 pm

View Original PostArchaiel wrote:Oh and yes I am hand painting these.

If you want to try to salvage the parts try using a hobby knife (of the flat kind) to scratch the paint off by sliding it along the surface of the part at an angle of 45 - 90 degrees

OR

If you used acrylics you could try dipping the part in alcohol, of the kind that´s used to clean stuff, and rub the paint off with some kitchen paper

And to actually paint you need to prime the part first with white or
grey and then paint over it with the colors you want
I highly suggest you use spray paint, it will look much smoother in the end

ronri
Embryo

Postby ronri » Thu May 10, 2012 9:07 am

Hi guys!

I'm just new to this forum so please bear with me here, but can I ask what you guys think (in your opinion) are arguably the most "definitive" figures of the 3 main Evas (Unit 00, 01, and 02)?

In particular, I'm specifically talking about the Revoltech figures as those are the ones I'm planning to collect them all in one scale. I saw the #100 Unit 01 figure with Sachiel and that instantly caught my eye as I always considered that segment with Sachiel as one of the most iconic scenes for Unit 01. Then I thought about it, found out there were earlier versions of all the main Evas with more weapons sans Angel accessories and I just don't know which are better anymore. I don't know well enough if there are some quality defects/improvements or things I should know about before buying any of them and it has really given me a headache now.

I would like to ask if you guys can recommend me which are the "best" figures if I want to get Revoltech figures based on both the TV series and the Rebuild designs of each 3 Evas? It'd be great if you could provide me with your preferred figure for both the TV and Rebuild designs (though it's ok if you guys can tell me the 'definitive' one for each Eva). I'd greatly appreciate it if you all could possibly share your opinions on this and help me out! ^_^

Been finally getting back into the Evangelion franchise since I'm a fairly old fan myself, and recently ordered the more "complete" Revoltech MP-Eva as my first ever Eva figure (I absolutely love its design and the role it played in EoE). :harpy_liplick:
April 1995. I met her.

shaneva002
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby shaneva002 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Welcome!

As for your questions, get the EvaEvo evas because all the previously released revo evas are pretty bad in every way except the accessorie count.
So I'd get Revo #100(01),#102(02) and #104(00). And if you ever decide to get the rest you can get them all in this line with unit 04 being the hardest to get.
The angel stuff that comes with them are nice but you'll probably will want to get the full angels themselves in the S.H.Monsterarts line that'll be released later this year.So far Sachiel and Zeruel will be released and will be in scaled with even the revo EvaEvo evas.
Internet elitists suck,ya you know who you are.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”