Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:37 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:the next best thing to seeing the play in person
And since you're never going to see a full text production in any case...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:18 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Cute picture, where'd you get it?

Danbooru

View Original PostXard wrote:I also have the courage to deny I'm a lolicon for snails

That doesn´t sound kakkoii at all
:lol:

Edit:Fixed link, derp
Last edited by InstrumentalityOne on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Danbooru doesn't allow you to link images directly, you have to link to the page. And yes, I know, ads, but it's the only way.

Hmm, I think the last movie I actually saw all the way through is still Back to the Future Part 3. :V
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:13 am

View Original PostXard wrote: I also have the courage to deny I'm a lolicon for snails

You can't reach Snail level in Nise... (despite having used "the courage") ;p
Might as well have the courage to admit you want to be like Koyomi in losing to Mayoi Snail...

BTW, got "403 Forbidden" when I clicked the Danbooru link in InstrumentalityOne's post.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:28 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:You can't reach Snail level in Nise... (despite having used "the courage") ;p
Might as well have the courage to admit you want to be like Koyomi in losing to Mayoi Snail...

BTW, got "403 Forbidden" when I clicked the Danbooru link in InstrumentalityOne's post.

They don't like a direct link to the pic itself.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:43 am

I'm still not sure that I would consider Troll 2 to be the "best" worst movie ever, but Best Worst Movie is probably the best documentary about one of the worst movies ever made. Anyone know of any documentaries about Manos by chance?
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Midway(1976) I thought I would enjoy the movie more than I ended up enjoying it, average war movie only good this in this movie is Charlton Heston.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:54 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:
View Original Postsymbv wrote:You can't reach Snail level in Nise... (despite having used "the courage") ;p

They don't like a direct link to the pic itself.

Fixed.

Today I saw An Inconvenient Truth in Geography class AGAIN.
When I came home I sat through the first half hour of D.W. Griffin´s Intolerance(1916) because I felt pretentious as fuck.

Wikipedia wrote:This complex film consists of four distinct, but parallel, stories—intercut with increasing frequency as the film builds to a climax—that demonstrate mankind's persistent intolerance throughout the ages. The film sets up moral and psychological connections among the different stories. The timeline covers approximately 2,500 years

It´s pretty interesting.
Were films of that era always 4 hours long?
(But then again, the film´s budget was 2 Million Dollars, which must´ve been a lot more in 1916.)

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Real Steel last night. Atom represents the return of the 'human touch' in robot boxing, and he became very potent through 'shadow boxing' system control if voice commands don't work.

Damn good.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:59 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:When I came home I sat through the first half hour of D.W. Griffin´s Intolerance(1916) because I felt pretentious as fuck.

That is pretentious? That is really nothing -- I watched the whole D.W. Griffin´s Birth of a Nation and then, curious, moved to Intolerance.

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Were films of that era always 4 hours long?

No, four-reels seemed to be more the norm (which amounted to slightly less than one hour in silent film days) and one to two reels were also common. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_film#Film_history_from_1914_to_1919
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_film#Film_history_from_1906_to_1914
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:49 am

Kind of curious, has anyone here seen Kim Ji-Woon's A Tale of Two Sisters? I know I'm considered to be "the Korean film guy" here, but it is one of the more readily available Korean films in the west. But yeah, I'm quite fond of it myself.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:38 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Kind of curious, has anyone here seen Kim Ji-Woon's A Tale of Two Sisters?

Only the trailer. I did not know it was based on a traditional Korean tale Janghwa Hongryeon-jeon but it seems that the "twist" was new to this moive. Problem is I was spoiled about the plot after that. Not sure how much that would affect how I feel about this movie when I finally come to see it...

BTW, the name of the movie is different in English, Korean and Japanese:

English; A Tale of Two Sisters (apparently the same name is used in French, German and Spanish)
Korean: 장화, 홍련 (or in kanja 薔花, 紅蓮 which means Rose Flower, Red Lotus)
Japanese: たんす (or in kanji 箪笥 which means Closet)

Apparently the Hollywood remake "the Uninvited" (2009) got really bad reviews.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:46 am

Hirokazu Koreeda's Nobody Knows: On the second time Nobody Knows was even more saddening, haunting and powerful. Sadness lingers on long after the credits have rolled because the tragedy that Koreeda tells doesn't avoid the toughest moments. Each cheerful scene has a haunting undertone or is even juxtaposed with something ominous. The tragedy is tangibly present in every shot and melody. This is by far the best film made about children and parental irresponsibility. It hits all the right notes without feeling forced or pretentious. Only Koreeda can do a film like this thanks to his immaculate direction of acting and documentary-like approach.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Hellboy II - weak ass shit
A Dangerous Method - good but no real conflict to resolve
A History of Violence - average story but horrible acting
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Election

The 2005 Johnny To film. It was pretty good and I really enjoyed it. Ending was the highpoint, really didn't see that coming.

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby ONIAgent150 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:45 am

Book of Eli

Ending was spoiled for me. Still, I loved Denzel and Oldman's dynamic. Another great look at the post-apocalyptic world.
AVATAR: Zer0 from Borderlands 2.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Sang-il Lee's Villain: Japanese melodrama done right. Villain features theatricality that is so rare in films these days. Especially in Japan. The sweeping cinematography, the grand musical score, the precisely controlled sound editing and the melodramatic performances come together delightfully. The pacing seems effortless and the entire film seems so … professional, full of confidence. Storywise I don't have much to add to what I said about it when I saw it for the first time. I love its honest treatment of crime and criminals. Even though the victim is portrayed as a spoiled, selfish brat and the killer is revealed to be quite human the story never forgets to remind the viewer of how wrong it is to commit a murder and how devastating its consequences are to everyone involved. Furthermore, the film's depiction of loneliness is very striking and I love how that theme fits to all of the characters in a way and the film explores the theme profoundly and very thoroughly during its 140-minute running time.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:30 pm

^ 李相日(Lee Sang-il) 悪人(Villain) 2010
Great to see that an ethnic Korean born in Japan is getting proper recognition in Japan. I think it won all 4 of the acting prizes and the prize for music (done by Joe Hisaishi) in last year's Japan Academy Award. Heard that the original novel was also very popular. The film locations were in various locations in north-west Kyushuu island around Fukuoka and Nagasaki -- they look really beautiful from the trailer I've seen.

Interesting that you are watching yet another movie with Hikari Mitsushima in it..

For Hirokazu Koreeda (是枝裕和)'s Nobody Knows (誰も知らない), I remember the gasps of disbelief that the then 14-year old Yuuya Yagira won the Best Actor in the 2004 Cannes Film Festival. Do you think his acting was award-winningly good? I have not seen the film and I am curious.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:08 pm

The last movies that I watch where:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) - Great looking visuals, nothing else really. The plot was nothing special and the movie is so slow. It's dated since it was made 32 and half years ago but the movie has a good feel to it when watching it on TV. Not bad but it could have been better 6.5/10.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - I haven't seen this movie in a long time and it's still a good movie even nearly 20 years later. The acting was good, the cinematography was great and the set pieces looks amazing as well. Some of the effects like when Dracula was in his Bat monster form does still look good even nearly 20 years later (Not as good as T2 or JP though). I never any of the changes that where done in the movie and the ending could have been so much better. Not the best Dracula movie but still a good film 7.5/10

Underworld Awakening (2012) - It was alright, it had some great 3D effects and some cool action scenes but that's about it. The story was nothing that special, the characters where forgettable and the movie didn't seem to be any different then the last few movies. Just like with Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon, I felt bored when watching the movie since the action scenes feel rather dry. If they do a 5th movie then I hope they do something new and different, or at least do a TV series. 6/10

I plan to watch Super tonight since I rented it off from Netflix.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:29 pm

http://www.robertmorganfilms.com
This guys Stop-motion animation is very interesting. Like a more modern day The Quay Brothers laced with Adam Jones from Tool.

edit: he also has some liveaction work too.
Last edited by backseatjesus on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Film and Video”