Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 pm

I just saw In Time.
The premise is kind of cool I guess but wow, this film was pretty shit.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with my dad yesterday. The film has an appealingly noirish atmosphere, but at times it can be a bit difficult to follow. The main problem, however, was the digital projection: As many of you may have noticed, digital projection is very dim and lifeless. For a film that already has a desaturated color scheme and relatively dark look, the dim digital projection just made it depressing to look at. Adding even more insult to my eyes was that it appears to have been shot on film. Projected digitally. On the bright side, my dad now agrees with me on the film vs digital debate.

Also watched Akira last night. Really, the animation in this film is spectacular. My friends are douches and had no clue what was going on.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Watched hall pass, I did not care for the movie but I usually dislike humour such as the one in this movie so it was to be expected I suppose.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:31 pm

HOLY HELL GULLIVER'S TRAVELS (2010) IS BAD.

I mean, it gets to a point where you think it can't get any worse, but then somehow this film manages to surprise you by becoming even more terrible. I think the writers got half way through writing this thing and just said, "wow, this is really shit", and then decided to just go all out and make it as shit as possible, or possibly just get drunk in order to write the rest.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Seven

Just as fucked up as I remember it being. Given that I've seen a lot of his stuff later, I might call Morgan Freeman the best actor of the 90s.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Quirky Guys and Quirky Gals: As with other omnibus films the problem is the inconsistency of quality between different segments. Each segment is quite quirky indeed, but the humor is quite often hit-or-miss. I was disappointed with Yosuke Fujita's segment (since I liked his Fine, Totally Fine) because for the most part its deadpan humor was too forced and unfunny. It was only the conclusion that showed his brilliance. Matsunashi's segment was funny because it reminded me of Love Exposure in a good way. Boy has a crush on girl, but can't build up the courage to talk to her without dressing up like a girl. The lead performances made the segment stick together and I was certainly in stitches, but the abrupt non-sensical ending was a letdown, though. Mipo O's section had an absolutely hilarious scenario, but in the end I felt like it would have needed a little more subtlety to have a bigger impact. The final segment, directed by the famous Gen Sekiguchi, was my favorite. In case someone ends up watching the film I don't want to spoil it more than just reveal that the title is "The House Full of Abandoned Businessmen". Kyoko Koizumi's performance was top notch as usual. The build-up to the ending's laughing riot was very polished and I would have loved to see how the story could have been expanded into a longer form, but it works perfectly as it is.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:46 pm

^ You picked it because of Nanami Sakuraba?

I kind of like the Japanese title サビ男サビ女 (sabi-otoko sabi-onna) - that like people who are so compelled to skip the "more boring" melody of a song and jump right into singing the chorus (sabi/サビ) right away, these people are also so of compulson to do what came high in their mind. I also feel it could be a play of word as サビ can also mean "rust" in Japanese too, perhaps hinting these people are not really considered useful in the society although they are only natural occurence?
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Date Movie

Came on TV some days ago. Didn't actually watch it to the end because I DROPPED IT so hard it went through the floor. Sweet mother of god what the hell was that shit!?!?!?!!?

Worst 15 minutes of any film I've seen in a long time.

Disgusting

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Ran.
I remember watching it as a kid but couldn't recall much of it, re-watched it the other day and well, not so special. Has some pretty good quotes and inner-thinking unfolding but jesus, some moments were too, too fucking dragged. (or maybe felt it was like that and it actually had to do with the fact, that I watched it after studying endless pages of Kant's philosophy, meh maybe.)

Anyhow, average +.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:25 pm

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:or maybe felt it was like that and it actually had to do with the fact, that I watched it after studying endless pages of Kant's philosophy, meh maybe.

hhaahahah oh wow

I sympathize

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:30 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:hhaahahah oh wow

I sympathize

Wait, are you into a philosophy department of some sort too? I was under the impression you studied something else.

Tomorrow I'm gonna watch the girl with the dragon tattoo in the theaters, heard mixed reviews about it, anyone here watched this one yet?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Rewatched Sion Sono's Suicide Circle. Suicide Circle is basically a good student film: full of good ideas, but lacks the discipline to really come together as a whole. I do really wish Sono would have made things come together more in the end and provided a few more answers. Noriko's Dinner Table is a far superior film.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:50 pm

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:Wait, are you into a philosophy department of some sort too? I was under the impression you studied something else.

I'm currently studying moonrunes but who knows what I'll be doing next fall. I cursed so hard for not taking the philosophy entrance test this spring when I saw how much easier the exam was than the political history one (for me, anyway)...

I do have, however, read Kant enough to know what pain in the ass he is to read...

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:Tomorrow I'm gonna watch the girl with the dragon tattoo in the theaters, heard mixed reviews about it, anyone here watched this one yet?

all films reviews I saw were positive :shrug:

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:56 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I'm currently studying moonrunes but who knows what I'll be doing next fall. I cursed so hard for not taking the philosophy entrance test this spring when I saw how much easier the exam was than the political history one (for me, anyway)...

I do have, however, read Kant enough to know what pain in the ass he is to read...

all films reviews I saw were positive :shrug:

lol, wait so you're saying to me that you read Kant in your leisure time? That's...a first. I've never met anyone else doing that.

-a few were complaining that it was too graphic or something but I haven't read the books to see if their arguments hold any valid ground. Anyway, I guess I'll have to see it myself and decide in the end. /obviously

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:49 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:^ You picked it because of Nanami Sakuraba?

I kind of like the Japanese title サビ男サビ女 (sabi-otoko sabi-onna)

No, I didn't watch it for Nanami. Neither did I buy it for Fujita's or Sekiguchi's direction. I bought it because Japan Times' Mark Schilling gave it a glowing review: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/ff20110107a3.html

And yeah, the title is neat. It was explained in the opening credits sequence.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:56 am

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:lol, wait so you're saying to me that you read Kant in your leisure time? That's...a first. I've never met anyone else doing that.

gahh it feels like I'm being judged as a man here... orz

when did I turn into Koyomi...

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:19 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:gahh it feels like I'm being judged as a man here... orz

when did I turn into Koyomi...

The courage to read Kant in your leisure time~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Movies I've watched in the last week:

RED TAILS- Crap. I won't remember anything about this two weeks from now.

HAYWIRE- A decent new Soderbergh feature. Not a great film by any means but it is sure damn fun to watch Gina Carano kick the shit out of her male co-stars. This movie also continues my belief that Michael Fassbender is the best actor working today.

25TH HOUR- Why isn't this Spike Lee film on Bluray yet? I truly love this film & find myself taking it out for a view once a year or so. I connect with it a lot more now that I actually find myself able to visit the locations in the film.

CLOCKERS - Another damn fine Spike Lee film. Love the color scheme in the film.

SOLARIS 2002- Soderbergh's version. Not as captivating a work as Tarkovsky's BUT this does connect with me more on an emotional level. It's a cleaner film than Tarkovsky's (and half the running time) and is probably the last truly memorable thing James Cameron had a hand in.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:13 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:The courage to read Kant in your leisure time~

I was kinda expecting that, still hilarious (and true...) :lol: :lol:

Cute picture, where'd you get it?

I also have the courage to deny I'm a lolicon for snails

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:24 pm

Hamlet (1996)

Kenneth Branagh kicks ass and it even has a pre-Titanic Kate Winslet. This is probably the next best thing to seeing the play in person, so any Shakespeare fans owe it to themselves to see this.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Return to “Film and Video”