Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:50 am

Tetsuya Nakashima's Kamikaze Girls: My opinion of the film didn't change at all on the second time. Either the novel should have never been adapted into a film or that Nakashima is the wrong director for the job. I appreciate his in-your-face form, but it doesn't work with a disastrously imbalanced script. The gap between the humor and the drama is too huge and the result is messy to say the least. However, Nakashima is restrained here in comparison to Memories of Matsuko and that way the film is enjoyable despite its shortcomings. Later he proved with Confessions that he's one heck of a director and I hope he veers away from dramedies like Kamikaze Girls in future so that he can focus on making much better films.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Song of the Thin Man.

Well, that was it. The last one. I loved how whipped Nick is all of a sudden, and Nora trying to comprehend Jazz lingo that even I can't follow was simply hilarious. The film does highlight one of the fundamental shifts in focus, though. The whole murder is taking backseat to the witty banter and, in retrospect, it's been that way for awhile, but it's only really noticeable here. The routine big reveal of the killer almost seems to be done in passing. Then again, I could be going about this the wrong way. I felt like the solutions to a few of the previous films were over-explained and the brevity here could have meant a more involving mystery that I just wasn't paying attention to. Oh well. I'll find out when I re-watch it in a few years and can't remember anything of it anymore.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Blood Simple

M. Emmett Walsh is amazing but the rest of the film has a very uneven feel to it, which is to be expected since the Coens were just starting their career. Worth a look if you're a fan of their work.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Watched I am legend staring Will Smith. The movie did not really impress mewas kinda bored while watching it. And I have to say will Smith's character can not aim for crap.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Bunraku. Wow. It's not the best action movie ever made, but it is the greatest since the original Matrix. Even Gackt is pretty charming.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Yosuke Fujita's Fine, Totally Fine: A mysterious film. Eccentric, socially awkward characters living their not-so-conventional but mundane daily life. The story's simplicity is deceptive since it feels like there's a LOT going on an abstract level and I find it to put it into concrete words. Fujita's style is quite baffling but very clever: it is 100% deadpan, but nevertheless it is not as still as, say, Kaurismäki's or Jarmusch's. Somehow by the end of the film there's a strong sense of resolution even though it never seems like anything necessarily begun and the conflicts are kept constantly hidden. The film's greatest strength is that it always manages to be downright hilarious and I had a great time watching it.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:06 pm

The Lives of Others was ridiculously Oscary. No surprise it won an Oscar. I would say that it's an insult that it beat The Host, but The Host wasn't even South Korea's submission. I mean, I enjoyed The Lives of Others, but it just felt so... typical.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Hirokazu Koreeda's I Wish: When regarded as a part of the director's filmography, this film is a tad questionable. Some say it's a sell out, others say it's full of compromises. While I don't necessarily disagree with that notion I believe the nay-sayers are overlooking something. Despite its more commercial nature and overt sappiness, this film has more heart and sophistication than any other average feel-good blockbuster out there. Koreeda is still Koreeda. His sublime form hasn't gone anywhere and his ability to direct actors (especially children) is impeccable. The soundtrack provided by Quruli was also great - I'm going to listen to it a lot from now on.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:16 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:The Lives of Others was ridiculously Oscary. No surprise it won an Oscar. I would say that it's an insult that it beat The Host, but The Host wasn't even South Korea's submission. I mean, I enjoyed The Lives of Others, but it just felt so... typical.

Everyone knows the academy picks the award for Best Foreign Film out a hat; you're hardly the first person to notice how many better films have been snubbed over the years.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Oh, I've noticed for a long time. My special nickname for it has always been "The Academy Award for the European Film that Most Resembles an American Drama." Though non-European countries have been winning more often recently.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:20 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Bunraku. Wow. It's not the best action movie ever made, but it is the greatest since the original Matrix. Even Gackt is pretty charming.

I'm sorry but: NOPE.jpg

Meanwhile, however, I rewatched Some Like It Hot on film course and yes, it is quite probably the best comedy ever made. Has anyone written better dialogue than Wilder did, ever, anyway?

For whatever reason it was only on this viewing (I have no idea how many times I've seen the film all in all) that I came to realize just how frighteningly, transfixingly hot Marilyn Monroe was in her prime. I mean.... damn.

That final performance outfit of hers also makes many animu fanservice outfits look fairly classy.

I don't mind that at all.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:35 pm

The sexiest thing about Marilyn Monroe(well, at least I find it the sexiest thing) is that she was smarter than she led people into believing.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:45 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:The sexiest thing about Marilyn Monroe(well, at least I find it the sexiest thing) is that she was smarter than she led people into believing.

yeah, she was smarter than her roles would have you think.

Which certainly doesn't hurt her hotness.

but really, it's that body line and all. She's pretty much perfect but there's nothing plastic about her

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:02 pm

I consider "Some Like it Hot" to be the best Marilyn Monroe movie.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:10 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I consider "Some Like it Hot" to be the best Marilyn Monroe movie.

I definetly haven't seen them all but I doubt I'll ever disagree with this

but really, the film is Lemmon show

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:21 am

Tatsuya Mori's A: This film has rightfully earned its place in the history of Japanese cinema. It is an intimate behind-the-scenes documentary of the Aum Shinrikyo cult that is responsible for the Tokyo sarin attack. Who is responsible? Why does the cult still have members? How should the cult be treated? What methods are the police and media allowed to use? These are only a few of the questions which this documentary brings forth. Mori does his best to take a neutral stance to his subject even though he followed the key members of the cult over a year. Even though the documentary lacks solid structure (apart from its chronological order) it's a powerful piece of cinema. A is important because it also exposes the uglier sides of reaction to the attack while maintaining proper distance to the madness and naivety of the cult members themselves.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:32 am

^ I guess you will check out "A2" as well then?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:33 am

Whenever I get around to buying it on DVD, yes.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:36 am

^ You watched "A" in DVD you bought? And it has English subtitles?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:43 am

Yeah. The Japanese DVD releases of A and A2 have English subtitles.

Return to “Film and Video”