What are you currently playing? [2]

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Yeah. It's better by a long chalk than the new Fallout, but...playing Dark Souls for a while will really illuminate the weaknesses of TES melee combat, which is a real pity. Every time I get knocked sky fucking high by a giant I keep thinking, "WELL DAMN IF I WAS JUST ALLOWED TO ROLL IN THIS GAME I WOULD HAVE HAD THAT".

I'm waiting for someone to make a perfect hybrid of the two, a vast open-world with multiple cities, factions, cool lore; and out in the wilderness preposterously unforgiving multi-level dungeons to crawl...and trollarious invasions of course.

Skyrim's dungeons are kind of hard so far, though - certainly more so than Oblivion. They've rebalanced the level scaling, and it's definitely balanced against you to start with. There's this Dwemer centurion who just will not stop killing the shit out of my poor Nord twohander...
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:20 pm

I dunno about rolling in heavy armors on angled and uneven stoney grounds,
but that stuff should stay in Monster Hunter and Souls games where some blows can bring instant fatalities and blocking is sometimes just not possible.
Skyrim's melee is okay as it is from what I've seen, IMO.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Currently playing, in no real order:

SNES' Earthbound (just started it the other day), PSP Me and My Katamari (I beat it a few days after getting it last month, replaying when I feel like it) and the old Sierra classic from my childhood on PC: Quest For Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness. It's so nostalgic playing that again! I found the full-voiced version too. I also managed to find Quest For Glory V which should be interesting. (I'll probably play QFGV once I finish QFGIV.)

After I finish Earthbound I'm going to finish up Chrono Trigger and then FF6. (I'm somewhere in those, I don't think it's exactly in the middle though.) Now I know that PSN has both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross up for download, but seeing as I have my PS1 copy of Chrono Cross (and the memory card for it) still, I'd prefer to finish it that way. I know CC and CT are only loosely connected at best with some of the characters but that's okay, both are entertaining, IMO.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:43 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I dunno about rolling in heavy armors on angled and uneven stoney grounds,
but that stuff should stay in Monster Hunter and Souls games where some blows can bring instant fatalities and blocking is sometimes just not possible.

There are actually quite a few enemies I've seen in Skyrim that can one-hit. Giants being the most obvious - even if you block with a shield they can two-hit - but fucking Krosis and his fireballs, etc. I've certainly felt the desire for a dedicated dodge ability while playing, particularly because DS has gotten me used to it.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Just beat Batman Arkham City, decided to get Odin Sphere. The dialogue in that is so bad it warped around to being unironically good. They accidentally made Shakespeare out of wooden JRPG talk.
I won.

LoCooLaidman
Lilith

Postby LoCooLaidman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:33 am

BEWARE THE BLUE BIRD Themaninblack, BEWARE THE BLUE BIRD FOR IT SHALL LEAD YOU ASTRAY!

(I'm talking about the little blue bird that Gweyndolyn talks to... I for one believe it is madness given form)

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:05 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I know CC and CT are only loosely connected at best with some of the characters but that's okay, both are entertaining, IMO.

Don't listen to the haters, the connection between the two games is hugely significant. Anyone who beat the game and did not pick this up was clearly not even paying attention. Chrono Cross just isn't Chrono Trigger 2, and some people can't handle that.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Skyrim.

Fuck calculus, I have giants to kill.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:54 pm

So Sachi, how is your game-playing at college going?
Voluntary Illusion.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:13 am

I finally finished Dead Space after an exactly 3-year hiatus (rented it Halloween '08, re-rented it Halloween '11), then got and beat Dead Space 2 to get ready for Dead Space 3.

Why the 3 year gap? Back then, I had horrible hand pains that made running by holding LB searingly painful. Then, after the pains went away... well, I guess I just didn't feel like it till recently. Helps that Blockbuster now has a daily rate, too. Actually, I would name that as the deciding factor in my recent uptick of game rentals from twice a year to now a fairly regular basis.

Also, as much as I hated Isaac's pointless silence in Dead Space 1, his pointless noisiness in Dead Space 2 is far, far worse. Every time there's a "holy shit" moment, Isaac's going of "holy shit" totally ruins it by distracting me from my own reaction to the event. The entire Dead Space series is laughably amateur when it come to the whole horror thing. (Or for that manner, any kind of emotional involvement in its presentation.)

By contrast, observe the (early) Silent Hill franchise. The protagonist's reactions are limited so that you are not distracted from your own. The scariest moments in the series are ones the protagonist does not react to at all. I remember my reaction to that first time seeing Pyramid Head just standing there in that particular hallway. I don't remember James Sunderland's. There's a reason for that.

This applies to horror movies as well. The absolute scariest things I've seen in horror movies did not have the protagonist in-frame at all. In fact, I just did a youtube search on "ju-on scariest" and I saw images that sent a genuine fucking chill down my spine and I closed the tab and now I regret doing that and I am totally going to have nightmares oh fuck what was I thinking I didn't even remember that part.

*hugs knees, shivering*

Well, no, probably not. I get nightmares frequently but randomly, and never as any kind of immediate result of a horror thing I've seen. The only time I ever had a nightmare that was actually based on a horror product was one influenced by the ghosts in Silent Hill 4, which I was not even actually scared of at the time I played the game (nor does the nightmare actually even seem scary to me now when I recall it).
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Felt a bit nostalgic so I dug up my old gameboy color to play pokemon crystal.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:09 pm

Skyrim

Sadly, it's only a rental copy. But the next bit of spare cash I get, you're damned right I'll own it.

Also, because of the discussion about them a few pages back, I revisited all three Castlevanias for DS (Dawn of Sorrow/Portrait of Ruin/Order of Ecclesia).
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Played Gran Turismo 2 (on an emulator) till 1 in the morning.

Nivek
Embryo

Postby Nivek » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 pm

Occasionally play some Crysis on xbox. Counter-Strike (1.6) has been consuming most of my time, game-wise. I am thinking about nabbing skyrim eventually.
Where there is love, there are babies.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:49 pm

After finishing Dead Space then Dead Space 2 then Gears of War (which I own and was on the next-to-last chapter of), I've re-re-re-resumed Final Fantasy 13.

It's better than I expected. Certainly gets better as it goes on. Vanille made me cringe at first but that one part where she shows her first bit of emotional frailty is very endearing. But the biggest surprise is Sazh. He is the reason to play this game when it comes to characters. I thought he was going to be the designated goofball but he's actually the most sensible, sensitive, and credible character in the cast. And so far it actually feels like he's more the main character than Lightning is.
Last edited by Monk Ed on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:20 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Also, because of the discussion about them a few pages back, I revisited all three Castlevanias for DS (Dawn of Sorrow/Portrait of Ruin/Order of Ecclesia).

I've continued my Castlevania journey as well, finishing Rondo of Blood (Maria is crazy awesome) and Adventure Rebirth as Wii downloads and doing a run through my old ps1 copy of SotN (rune sword x2 + sword familiar + royal cloak = Jochim cosplay fun :P). Sadly I don't have Bloodlines and -not- sadly I've sold back or simply never owned most of the 3D games or the crappy GB games, so I've gone on to working on the GBA titles.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:39 am

Does anyone know of any free online multiplayer fps games with the ability to look down iron sights?

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:07 am

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Does anyone know of any free online multiplayer fps games with the ability to look down iron sights?

I think Operation7 is still around; most of the weapons are customizable, and you can use iron sights.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:15 pm

SKYRIIIM

How immersion-breaking is committing crimes thay wrong the Imperials deeply(stopped stormcloak execution in Solitude and killed a captain) and you can just sit your time off and get all your stuff back because you're not a thieving bastard?

Such is life as a heavy one-hander block orc, I guess.

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Spud » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:22 pm

SKYRIM!!!

I tried saying hello to a giant ....

Didnt end too well
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”