What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:36 am

Episodes 28 and 29 of Revolutionary Girl Utena were fantastic. It's a shame about Ruka, he brought so much in such a short time span, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Voluntary Illusion.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:37 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Usagi Drop ... I can't think of a single thing wrong with, other then it being over. Kind of hoping for more.

Live action movie! Although that isn't the same..
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:27 am

Re: SKU: 28 and 29 are indeed excellent. There are some tiny little bits in 37 and 39 that reference those two and tie things up nicely, too.

Re: Usagi Drop: Thank the gods they didn't go the route of the manga. I'd hoped they'd do something, though; as is I don't feel much different than I did after the first ep. I'm like "yeah, that was cute, but we haven't really gotten anywhere so . . . okay I guess?" Same problem with YuruYuri, actually; it's cute, but it'd be a lot more enjoyable if I felt like it was going somewhere rather than just doing random bits that don't really amount to anything.

Re: Penguindrum: NGE aside I'm not a fan of mindscrews. It's fine when you know it's gonna be like that from the outset, but I feel like ep 9 wound up being a bit of a bait and switch. I want plot, damn it! I know that's a silly thing to say when talking about a show full of penguin familiars and memory-stealing slingshots and magic hats that induce multiple personalities in dead people and such, but still.

Those last two comments look like complaints, but I don't mean them that way. I still enjoy both shows immensely. It's just a bit frustrating.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:03 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Re: Penguindrum: NGE aside I'm not a fan of mindscrews. It's fine when you know it's gonna be like that from the outset, but I feel like ep 9 wound up being a bit of a bait and switch.

But we did know that, it's Ikuhara ffs. There won't be plot when psychedelic chaos could do as well...
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:31 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:But we did know that, it's Ikuhara ffs. There won't be plot when psychedelic chaos could do as well...

But there was a plot, that's the problem. For eight episodes things were nice and coherent, if a bit odd. Then Shoma gets hit by a car and whammo! Everything's off the rails.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:31 pm

If by "coherent" you mean "they go about their everyday business of trying to steal a deeply delusional girl's diary because the foul-mouthed purple-eyed penguin princess alter ego of their sister told them to do so in the technicolor space-construct after they came out of the gigantic mecha teddy bears but before she dumped one of them down an infinite hole in the floor and pulled the other one's soul out in a sexual fashion" then sure, the first eight episodes were coherent. But really I think it's just that the show was always nuts and it's only now that the insanity is seeping through to the main characters. We already couldn't tell what's real: now they can't tell what's real either.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:42 pm

Saw Patlabor The Movie.

It was interesting enough.
The end was kind of weird though.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:32 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Saw Patlabor The Movie.

It was interesting enough.
The end was kind of weird though.
SEAGULLS

The Patlabor films are awesome. But if you dig Oshii in general, watch the sequel as soon as possible;it's one of the best films he's ever done and my personal favorite. Plus there are more seagulls. And blimps. And Goto.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:06 pm

^
Should I watch the TV series first?

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:21 pm

NO. 6 Finale

to sum it and series up

What a steaming pile this show ended up being. The ending is worst of the worst kind of Bones ending and honestly challenged Fractale for the title of worst ending of the year so far. WOW.

4/10

Mawaru Penguindrum ep 10

As far as reasonably notable animators go this episode was my first proper contact with Keiji Gotoh's work.

If this episode (which was directed, storyboarded, animation directed and key animated all by himself, just like ep 9 was one-man show by the SHAFT guy) is any indication he is crappy. Animation itself is reasonably fluid but the character designs etc. are completely butchered and most frames look like crappy inbetweens by newbs. Atrocious key animation when it comes to characters.

SAKUGA HOKAI
SAKUGA HOKAI
SAKUGA HOKAI
SAKUGA HOKAI
SAKUGA HOKAI
SAKUGA HOKAI
SAKUGA HOKAI

This episode is the first major blunder Penguindrum has committed. The plot elements etc. aren't bad on their own, Kanba's travel through that wonderfully designed maze is amazing with fucked up version of Dvorak's Going Home playing in the background (another Kenji Miyazawa/Night at the Galactic Railroad allusion going on here...) but the messed up look of everything made me unable to enjoy most of the episode in the least.

I don't care if he's your fuckbuddy or something Ikuhara, do not let this happen again.

Would post and reply moar but no time

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:00 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:Live action movie! Although that isn't the same..
Need to keep an eye on this.

Kanba's travel through that wonderfully designed maze is amazing with fucked up version of Dvorak's Going Home playing in the background (another Kenji Miyazawa/Night at the Galactic Railroad allusion going on here...)
^This! Only really good part of the episode.

Watched Dantalian no Shoka and Mawaru Penguindrum.

Dantalian no Shoka was mediocre. Just another story of a stupid fool taken advantage of by a cartoon villain. Extra lame.

As for MP, Xard pretty much already wrote my post for me. Though I'll add that Ringo was somehow worse then usual.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Just saw the finale of Tiger&Bunny through a livestream.

SPOILER: Show
Obvious anti-cimatic finale for 2nd season is super obvious.

After-credit scene made it worth it though

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:29 pm

Watched Princess Mononoke, and did a rewatch with C.A.P (did it over mic, so no funny today).

Man, it still the masterpiece I remember it to be (I last watched it in '06).
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:33 pm

This was the first time I watched Mononoke at such length, and to be honest, I don't consider it to be Miyasaki's strongest movie, but certainly not on a professional level.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Watching Berserk on my own time, Moribito, Samurai Champloo and Witch Hunter Robin with anime club. They're also watching Ano Hana and Angel Beats, but... nah.

After Berserk, planning to rewatch Eva and/or finally watch Gurren Lagann.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:59 am

Watched Kami-sama no Memo-chou. Easily the best episode so far, even if the fake-out in the beginning really pissed me off. Though I'm sure they'll piss it all away come next week.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Alice should have Type 2 diabetes by 15. B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:42 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Watched Kami-sama no Memo-chou. Easily the best episode so far, even if the fake-out in the beginning really pissed me off.

Yeah, what the hell is that about? The plots themselves are never quite that difficult to figure out, but it's always a guessing game as to how much the characters know.

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Though I'm sure they'll piss it all away come next week.

I really wish the show had been more episodic, or at the very least had done a story to spotlight each member of the NEET detectives. 11 episodes in, and I still feel like I barely know them.

I'm personally not hating this show, just hoping it does better with what the story has to offer, either with a reboot, or another season.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Re: Alice should have Type 2 diabetes by 15. B/

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:33 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Yeah, what the hell is that about?
I think they just didn't have the guts to go all the way.

11 episodes in, and I still feel like I barely know them.
Agreed. All those episodes, and yet they found no time to develop the characters to the point we'd actually care about them.

I'm personally not hating this show, just hoping it does better with what the story has to offer, either with a reboot, or another season.
I'm feeling pretty meh towards it. As for second season, I wouldn't hold out much hope. I heard this show isn't doing too well so a chance for more isn't likely.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Alice should have Type 2 diabetes by 15. B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:59 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I think they just didn't have the guts to go all the way.

... Wait, are we talking about the same thing? I'm just noticing the way Alice articulates herself is confusing as hell, and that I'm always left wondering how much she actually knows, or if what she knows has any real relevance.

This episode she outright stated she "already knew" what Narumi wanted, yet, that wasn't true, that still took another 10 minutes of investigation.

I had the feeling this may have been done to demonstrate she's a NEET, and thus, kind of lacking on the social skills. But now, I'm thinking that's a little too subtle for this show, and at best, it might have been the intent in the manga and they're just awkwardly translating it here.

SPOILER: Show
Is it Ayaka's lack of dying you're talking about? That didn't surprise me, as I read the short summery of her character on Wikipedia, which mentions details from the manga. It stated she lives, but... well, I won't say the rest, suffice to say though, there's still a price to pay.

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I'm feeling pretty meh towards it. As for second season, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Regardless, I think that's how the show will end, with the immediate crisis resolved, but with important strings left untied to leave it open for a second season.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:33 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Magic Girl Lyric (seriously?) Nanoha.
魔法少女リリカルなのは (Mahou Shoujo Ririkaru Nanoha) Another Shinbo directed mahou shoujo series, as was Madoka.

In series 1, episodes 1-3 kick mahou shoujo clichés to the kerb; 4-6 introduce the rival figure, and then from the halfway point it swaps genres and it's "Atashi wa Gundam!" and friendship imposed through superior firepower from then on in (though you don't get the full White Devil deal until midway through the second season).

Given your reaction to Madoka, you will undoubtedly have difficulty with the significant characters being 9 year old girls, the regular panchira, and the henshin sequences. It would be nice to think that you could overlook those aspects and come to realize that Takamachi Nanoha is one of the manliest little girls to be imagined by Japan, but I don't hold out much hope.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Old Stickies”