Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:27 pm

All this talk about copulation disgusts me. And it reminded me of reading some of uji ga waita works. I really did not need to know that.

Have just finished reading (I read any newly acquired manga series/volume within a day, so. Those listed here I read the most recent volumes quite recently.)---
Sailor fuku to Jyuu-sensha (Sailor uniform and heavy tanks. Waiting for volume 7)
Hyougemono
Jinki series (finally got hold of Jinki Shinsetsu final episode)
Bullet the Wizard (the same author as Gunsmith Cats)
Zero In vol. 12 (I enjoyed the series but cannot believe it just concluded within 12 volumes. I really hoped it would have gone on for longer)
Lotte no Omocha (Interesting as a concept, but very average)
Kagerou Meikyuuu (Also known as Amnesia Labyrinth- original concept done by the author of Haruhi- interesting mystery, but I sense a lot of Kinoko influences here)
Tonnurasan (Very strange cats.)
Deus X Machina (Decent. Hopefully the second part will give more background and keep up the pace. The little shota annoys me.)
Billy Bat (Same author as Monster. I like the fact that he tries to tie in the major conspiracy theory.)
Soukai no seiki (Same author as Sailor uniform and heavy tanks. Military plus moeness plus historical ifs is right up my alley.)
Oniichan Control (same author as Karin. Bit of yandere, but otherwise, facepalm all the way through)
Toloveru Darkness (I do not even know why I am reading this.)
Yondemasuyo Azazel-san (I like it very much. The author must hate humanity so much. I agree.)
Koharu no hibi (For me the antics get boring after a few chapters. Yandere is now boring for me. Well, something verging on yandere anyway)
Sket Dance (Interesting shounen. Everybody who knows me compares myself to the boy in glasses. The concept for this is quite interesting as it gets away from the premise of the big 3 which I hate to the guts)
Hyouryuu net cafe (Very good until it reached the end. Its like you murder people, but they are not actually dead. I do not really like it when that happens)
Btoom (Bombs, bombs everywhere. I like it, even though many of the characters are a bit too... bland. Main character should really get some backbone when there are bombs everywhere)
Adamas (Very good as long as I keep on reminding myself that these things cannot really happen.)
Nanimokamo Chiagatteimasu (By jove this is a copy of Destroy Revolution. Why.)
Arachnid (Assassins with strange powers everywhere, based upon a certain mental deficiency. Interesting but gets strange a lot of times.)

I thought the anime world is bad, but the manga world is slowly featuring more rubbish. Why oh why.
I feel old

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks to LWB I just started reading Franken Fran. While I'm not really a fan of gore it is quite a good series. It's a bit like the original fairy tales.. while it's dark and not exactly happy, there's a lesson to be learned that makes you better off in life. She also has a twisted view of things like love...
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:50 am

Finished reading Kaoru Mori's Emma last night. It's pretty much the best comic ever published, classics be damned. I can't get over the feeling of elation that it elicits just by a casual glance. First, her artwork pulls you in with hopelessly likable character designs, then she develops these characters in such a way as to sink her teeth into your heart and skull, and then she shoots her roots into your eyes and down your retinas with ridiculously detailed page spreads and heart-renderingly emotive panel sequences and facial expressions that make you froth at the mouth, take to heavy drinking, and babble incoherently about how incredibly you were manipulated down a wild ride of Victorian Era romance and maids and how its only huge glaring problematic flaw was that it isn't any more.

Because the chicks are all hot and the stories are all amazing and the characters are all nuanced and all I can do to satisfy this insatiable lust for more of her work is to keep rereading it.

Dcmac
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dcmac » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:55 pm

I finished up Love Hina today. I've seen parts of the anime as a kid and I re-watched the series last year, but I've never read the manga up until now. It probably had to do with bikini girls on the covers and my young age, I couldn't possibly buy it. :p

It was really good, much, much better than the anime. It kinda makes me wish I had read it sooner.

So now I'm looking to either try out Negima or start reading My Bride is a Mermaid.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:45 am

Usagi Drop volumes 1 and 2 were really, really good and I need to read rest eventually. Reading these also showed just how superb job Production IG has done with anime adaptation because quite frankly I think the anime version is slightly superior. Anime lacks some of the bemusing wit and internal monologues of Daikichi but on the other hand many sequences are expanded on and it's not before you see Rin animated and voiced by that adorable 10 year old girl that you truly know what a wonderful surrogate father-daughter relationship she and Daikichi has. And chapter 1 was nowhere near as moving as episode 1 (which it was, basically)

Good stuff all around in any case.

But oh boy did I fuck up big time :cringe: :cringe: :cringe:

Not only did I buy Usagi Drop 1 and 2, I also finally succumbed after years of struggling and purchased Berserk volume 1

AGKMASKGNAÄSGASKNGASGNAGOA

It was fantastic. I want - no, need - more :facepalm:

bye bye moneys...

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:53 am

View Original PostXard wrote:bye bye moneys...

Implicating that you have money.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:54 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Implicating that you have money.

Actually I now have, again. Being broke is so August :hahaha:

Worst part is that I'm going to live next 20 years in fear. Will Miura kick the bucket or lose himself in the world of Idolmaster once and for all? The dangers are real...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:19 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Will Miura kick the bucket or lose himself in the world of Idolmaster once and for all?
Although Miura has said tha Berserk is about 2/3 done, there seems to be some sentiment that story-wise it jumped the shark long ago.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:30 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Although Miura has said tha Berserk is about 2/3 done, there seems to be some sentiment that story-wise it jumped the shark long ago.

I don't know, there's occasional complaint on /a/ but in general it seems to be case of people following the story progression slowly month by month who feel like this while those who get to "catch up" more freely don't have as much to complain about. In other words there seem to be less complaints in retrospect about each story section and it's the current one that always gets snarkier replies.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:36 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Although Miura has said tha Berserk is about 2/3 done, there seems to be some sentiment that story-wise it jumped the shark long ago.
^This.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:13 pm

I am reading Kimi ni Todoke right now. I am also reading the Evangelion manga.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:27 am

For those who have been reading my posts recently it is clear what manga I am reading currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
YURUYURI

One recent scene that I love:

SPOILER: Show
Read from right to left

(Chiatsu)- Akari-chan... Hmm.....

Chiatsu -- Shall we join hand....
(group) -- STOP!!

Kyouko -- It should be my hand!
Yui -- Should be me!
Chitsu -- It's me!
Akari -- Well well everyone...
I don't have three hands ~~~~

Akari -- Kyouko-chan, thumb
Yui-chan, index
Chiatsu-chan, middle... shall we?

(next page)

(group) Nice one!
It's a bit difficult to walk, but it's so nice!
And we are all holding hands now!

Akari -- By the way, if we do this with the left hand, it will be Fleming's Left Hand Rule.
(group) -- Akari-chan, you know so much!!

Akari -- I am good at science.
Anything you don't know, you can ask me.
Chiatsu -- Akari-chan. You are so cool !!

(someone) -- So why is the sky blue!?
Akari -- ......

Akari -- Because you are so cute !!
(group) -- Akari-chan, so cool !!

OMAKE

SPOILER: Show
Drawn by Namori sensei for another great episode of YuruYuri (ep.11)
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:44 pm

currently I am reading bleach, naruto and d grey man (it’s release schedule better get better soon or I may drop it). I’m also going to read psyren I heard it was pretty good (also heard it’s done too so that’s a plus)
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Read the newest chapter of gantz, oh boy what the hell was that?

:rofl:
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Western, not manga, but I just picked up Orc Stain by James Stokoe.

uh...lolwut. most drug-obsessed thing I've read since Fear and Loathing and most genitalia-obsessed thing i've read since Berserk. On top of a take on orcs which is actually genuinely awesome. How can you not like a race led by THE ORCTZAR which uses smoked slices of trophy cock as currency. And it goes without saying that I could sit there looking at any given page for minutes on end, lineart is absolutely godlike and colors are psychedelic wonderland of eye bleeding glory. Normally I'm a really big fan of b&w manga stylings and I'm first to defend them, but for some stuff it just doesn't work. you can't drink hallucinogenic crab secretions in black and white.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:21 am

I've been reading Idol Pretender lately.
You can never have enough genderconfusion idol manga, huh.
AKB49 is currently pretty good too.
Bakuman has been kind of crappy lately.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:21 am

^
AKB49 changed the way I looked at that girl group, not just a bunch of hot babes with long legs and school uniforms; down inside, they're human. Furthermore the manga tries to go behind the scenes, of what it takes for those girls to make it right out in the world.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

A Chinese Wife and an Otaku Husband

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:34 am

^
Those girls really put a lot of effort and heart into their idol role to sing, dance and entertain. Almost everyone of them has her unique character, which is apparent when they are not singing or dancing. Even though it may be a persona they build for public consumption it still holds a glimpse of how they are really human.

======

Not sure how many in the west knows about manga based on real life of international marriage. This one A Chinese Wife and an Otaku Husband 中国嫁日記 is the talk of the town (at least in 2ch) about the marriage of a Japanese otaku + illustrator to a girl from China. A lot of cross-cultural humor and personal fun. Contrary to the myth that right-wingers with prejudice against China (and Chinese) dominate the net in Japan, the publication of the 4-koma manga caused many 2ch-ers to come out with their heartwarming experience with their Chinese wives.

The English article about the manga
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 809mm.html

The original blog that is the root of the manga
http://blog.livedoor.jp/keumaya-china/ (Japanese)
http://blog.sina.com.cn/chinawifecn (Chinese)

now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 am

^
That looks real interesting.

Finally finished up Aria.
;_;

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:52 am

^ I presume by that you mean you have also finished reading Aqua as well?

Oh yes, the otaku husband Chinese wife manga is really interesting. You can also check their blog (Chinese or Japanese) to read some of the 4-koma manga as well.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Return to “Anime and Manga”