A couple Reiquarium pictures in more detail

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
someguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby someguy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:04 am

I had actually considered a graveyard; Googling Japanese cemetary or graveyard gives many images of cemetaries that are clearly made to resemble small cities, although I don't have any idea if this is common. If it is a graveyard designed to resemble a city it could explain why some see buildings in the image, but I don't think this is a city-style graveyard even if it is a graveyard.

Although I'm pretty sure Christianity is very uncommon in Japan, and it would be unlikely to see so many crosses in a Japanese cemetary.

Well, while we're drawing on the image, I'll throw together another possibility I see and post it.

edit: Well, here ae several things I see in the image. I'm not sure if any of them are right, nor whether they all go together. Some of them seem like the object I see by themself but don't fit the surroundings, like the hand (where the heck would it be coming from?)

IMO, the simplest, fastest, and best way to find out what this is will be to post it on 4chan every few days until someone there guesses what it is. I've solved complicated questions I couldn't figure out through Google in minutes using 4chan :P
<\-=/>

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:39 am

At some point, some of these filtered images need to be added to the Wiki article (in addition to the originals, of course, not in place of them.)
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:36 am

I've been playing around with these a bit as well, and unfortunately it seems that the shot must have been completely redone because there's no way to get all the lines of the DC to overlap the OA Reis. Even working with one Rei at a time and masking the rest out doesn't work cleanly... it's like everything is slightly warped, or perhaps redrawn from a tracing?

Regardless, it's way too much work for what it's worth, and it's entirely likely we still wouldn't know what the hell this is even if all the Reis were gone.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:10 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I've been playing around with these a bit as well, and unfortunately it seems that the shot must have been completely redone because there's no way to get all the lines of the DC to overlap the OA Reis. Even working with one Rei at a time and masking the rest out doesn't work cleanly... it's like everything is slightly warped, or perhaps redrawn from a tracing

I don't think you want to match it up with OA, but with the director's cut from Platinum. That cut is identical except the overlays have been removed.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:28 am

I was using the files in the 'library' link provided earlier, wherever they came from.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:17 am

The whole scene was reanimated in the DC version; more than just adding nipples to the Rei-tachi. Back when I tried this, I used frames from just before or after the overlay appeared, as the best guess at the background then available.

The main thing that strikes me about that image we're baffled on, is that the more it got extracted from the Reiquarium, the less I can see a consistent sense of perspective in it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

someguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby someguy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:35 am

I've been playing around with these a bit as well, and unfortunately it seems that the shot must have been completely redone because there's no way to get all the lines of the DC to overlap the OA Reis. Even working with one Rei at a time and masking the rest out doesn't work cleanly... it's like everything is slightly warped, or perhaps redrawn from a tracing?

I brought this up already :P .There is a rippling water effect on the version with the image overlays EDIT: Although looking at the clip again the ripple only seems to effect the overlays and not the Reis. I'm not sure why the JPEGs on the wiki have distortion and shearing on the Reis. Regardless, by rotating and scaling and moving one of the clips I was able to get it to line up almost perfectly with the other, to the point I was able to make the filtered version of the entire clip.
Last edited by someguy on Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
<\-=/>

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:40 am

There's also the added complication that the reis are in layers moving at different speeds so pulling comparison slides from elsewhere in the same reel creates as many new problems as it solves. Oh, and there's a soft gradient overlay that stays with the camera going from the diagonal corners, so pasting together different shots to fill the screen ends up with obvious color matching problems.

Basically while I probably could remove all the reis from the picture if I was willing to spend several hours with it, by the time I got done it wouldn't be so much a cleaned up image as a new matte painting based on the original, and thus probably still completely useless for figuring out what was is really in the dang photo to start with.

someguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby someguy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:43 am

Did you see the two clips I posted with the entire video filtered? If you want, I can grab the same frame from from both versions of the shot, as I did with the latest version of the mystery image. They still don't line up perfectly but it eliminates the parallax problem as best as can be done.
<\-=/>

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:54 am

Oh fine, I'll give it a little more time if you send that my way. I didn't think to rotate it though... must not be much of an angle for individual parts to still line up really well while everything else is a bit off.

Deyno
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Deyno » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Come on guys
You can do this
The mystery can't win to you
:asuka_thumbsup:

someguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby someguy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:43 pm

I originally rotated it one tenth of a degree but for this version I ended up using corner pin to distort it slightly.

Here are two correspoinding frames already roughly lined up: http://imageshack.us/g/171/rno.png/
<\-=/>

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:28 pm

This is based on the last version that was posted:

>cropped the unfiltered edges away
>used healing brush to erase the reiquarium (probably a little still there)
>applied a light gradient overlay to even out the tones a bit
>fine-tunned highlight/shade levels to bring out the contrast

...still looks like a campfire surrounded by rocks to me.

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:41 pm

...I'm still seeing a graveyard. Where's the fire?
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:46 pm

okay, more like a campfire that isn't lit yet, just a pile of wood waiting to be lit up.

The other thought i had is that the bottom right is a cleat on a ship with some sort of rigging tied to it, the rest is broken ice, maybe with a sub rising in the middle? Grasping at straws here.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:48 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:This is based on the last version that was posted:

Excellent! This looks more and more like an excavation. The "kneeling man" now looks like a giant head and shoulders. On the middle left I see people who are dwarfed by the head (perhaps a couple of people on the right too). There's some sort of excavation equipment in the middle. The stuff at the top looks like support buildings or perhaps more equipment.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

One after the other. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:43 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Excellent! This looks more and more like an excavation. The "kneeling man" now looks like a giant head and shoulders. On the middle left I see people who are dwarfed by the head (perhaps a couple of people on the right too). There's some sort of excavation equipment in the middle. The stuff at the top looks like support buildings or perhaps more equipment.

So are we looking at the excavation of Adam the 1st or second time? Or perhaps for the lance?

And does it appear to anyone else that these images were going chronologically? If so, that could help provide context.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:03 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Image
The dark area in the middle now looks like there are boxes irregularly arranged on a dark surface rather than being a heap of stuff; but it doesn't gel in perspective with the trees+obelisk+length of curtain wall in the top left quadrant; and neither with the phone booth and cabin in the top right.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:27 am

something else i noticed... the 'seat' doesn't exist.. it's just a shadowed area created by the hunched over Rei in the deeper background that for whatever reason wasn't made transparent. The bracket, however, is meant to be there.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:51 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:This is based on the last version that was posted:

I didn't see it before but I see it now, the kneeling man in the white shirt. Also what looks to be a statue on a ledge behind him.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”