Rei's portrayal in rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:01 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Asuka Spaceboots thread, anyone?

Rei better not die. I love her too much.

:rolleyes: Of all the people to worry about . . .

Seriously, there's plenty more where she came from. Why get bent out of shape about it when she can easily be replaced?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: ENDING! B/ - Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:02 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:NME's tone thus far is "you stupid shits, we're trolling the fuck out of you and you don't even realize it." Destroying Eva from the inside will be far, far worse than Rei's death could ever be.

Will it?

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostHideaki Anno wrote:The original Evangelion was entirely created from my unembellished feelings and my improvised writings, so it was not completed according to a theory. As a result, I thought I would get other people, outsiders, to help me destroy it - Tsurumaki in particular. In addition, there's parts of myself that are different compared to that time. So, I tried to change [Eva]. It was a battle with my so-called past self, my self eleven years ago. It took a great deal of inner strength.

Hideaki Anno is at battle with his past self, and what has changed in that time? He's become more adjusted with himself, he's found happiness, thus, I can only assume that the way he intends to to change Eva, is to reflect that, much as Evangelion reflected his world 16 years ago.

Rebuild is to be a testimony of his triumph, just as NGE was of his failures.

Hyper Shinchan wrote:But I think that Enokido mentioned that Rei II is still going to die sooner or later, I hope that it's not going to be the case, though.

Are you talking about this?:

SPOILER: Show

Because "Rebuild of Evangelion" is basically a reconstruction of the TV series, we presume that sooner or later Rei II will die. If Shinji-kun were to save Rei II it would mean a significant departure from the TV series.

I think this fulfilled by what he states here:

Rei gets completely absorbed by the Angel. It's just as though she has died and entered the netherworld. The audience is thinking that Rei is dead. Despite this, Shinji pilots Unit-01 again in order to save Rei. He cries out "Ayanami!" and reaches forward, with an awful noise, through the front of the entry plug.

There's also this:

I felt the development of the second half of the TV series was incredible. Only, I was a little saddened by death of Rei II and her replacement by Rei III. For myself, I wanted that Rei who had repeatedly shared battles and encounters with Shinji to go on to the end.

Now granted, he doesn't have ultimate control for where the films are going, and everything for right now is in flux, I just don't see anything in the CRC (at least from what's been translated) implying she will die/Rei III is still apart of the plan. Though, please point it out if I missed it.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:05 pm

If Rebuild is not really a new experience because it doesn't detract ENOUGH

I'm not sure why there should be some arbitrary restriction on how far a work is supposed to deviate or not. I leave that up to the artist(s).

View Original PostReckoner wrote:I just don't see the value in the entire production.

Ticket sales?

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:08 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Why get bent out of shape about it when she can easily be replaced?

Because, its hilarious to see someone as stretchy as a pretzel fight Angels. And... wait for it... NOT DIE. Rei dying was a huge let down. If Rei III doesn't change so much, then I wouldn't mind. But in NGE, I felt aggravated that she "survived", and didn't remember much. In other words, I would prefer that she didn't die, because I wanted to see how much Rei II would progress as a character, rather then see her get so far, just to die, and start all over again.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: ENDING! B/ - Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:10 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Hideaki Anno is at battle with his past self, and what has changed in that time? He's become more adjusted with himself, he's found happiness, thus, I can only assume that the way he intends to to change Eva, is to reflect that, much as Evangelion reflected his world 16 years ago.

So far he's done that by giving fans what they think they want and making it really fucking awful. I don't know why anyone thinks he won't continue to do the same in the future.

Yes, Anno's gotten better. That just means his message is all the more relevant: Stop watching anime all the time and go outside you stupid little shits!

Rebuild is to be a testimony of his triumph, just as NGE was of his failures.

His triumph is trolling the fuck out of you. He did it in EoE, he did it in 2.xx, and he'll do it in Q.

View Original PostStryker wrote:Because, its hilarious to see someone as stretchy as a pretzel fight Angels. And... wait for it... NOT DIE. Rei dying was a huge let down. If Rei III doesn't change so much, then I wouldn't mind. But in NGE, I felt aggravated that she "survived", and didn't remember much. In other words, I would prefer that she didn't die, because I wanted to see how much Rei II would progress as a character, rather then see her get so far, just to die, and start all over again.

She didn't start all over again. Shinji just didn't associate with her long enough to understand what she remembered and what she didn't. Her otherness is waaaaaaaaaay overstated by Shinji and fans alike (as seen by her ultimate rejection of Gendo for Shinji's sake in EoE).
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:17 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Why get bent out of shape about it when she can easily be replaced?

Because each time we would need to "humanise" her again and the show has a limited amount of time.
View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Now granted, he doesn't have ultimate control for where the films are going, and everything for right now is in flux, I just don't see anything in the CRC (at least from what's been translated) implying she will die/Rei III is still apart of the plan. Though, please point it out if I missed it.

No, you've exactly pointed out the relevant excerpts of the CRC; you're right about his lack of control over the direction of the movie, anyway I suppose that at least at the time there was a similar idea around, of course they could have changed their mind, but I suppose that we can't know for sure.
Again, I hope that I'm simply wrong and they've totally scrapped Rei II's death for good.
EDIT:
View Original PostBagheera wrote:She didn't start all over again. Shinji just didn't associate with her long enough to understand what she remembered and what she didn't. Her otherness is waaaaaaaaaay overstated by Shinji and fans alike (as seen by her ultimate rejection of Gendo for Shinji's sake in EoE).

I disagree, her hate towards Gendo, her complete rejection of her own humanity, she was way different from Rei II.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:20 pm

I still want to see Rei II progress, rather then see her die and watch Rei III stumble up on her feet. I don't want her to change. Or, at least, if they are doing that, don't do it in the end. Give Rei III time to develop, so something redeeming comes out of her.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

evafanatic
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby evafanatic » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:45 pm

I've always saw Rei II's death in the original a bit sporadic and I think that's where all the sadness derives from. I mean, she basically just explodes, dies and then Rei III appears and doesn't remember any of the past events, which was pretty odd tbh.

With rebuild 2.0, I don't think much has changed at all - the absorption of Rei II was just another way of killing her off. But the thing is, she didn't disappear and die in the same circumstances as in the original; the events were done in a more upbeat tone (with the whole Shinji + Rei sequence) but even with it's optimistic ending(Rei getting supposedly saved) I still believe that the whole sequence was in vain and that Rei II really was lost.

I think any more progression on the character of Rei will be definitely be done by the incarnation of Rei III. This is all just speculation so take it with a grain of salt if you will.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:03 pm

View Original Postevafanatic wrote:With rebuild 2.0, I don't think much has changed at all - the absorption of Rei II was just another way of killing her off. But the thing is, she didn't disappear and die in the same circumstances as in the original; the events were done in a more upbeat tone (with the whole Shinji + Rei sequence) but even with it's optimistic ending(Rei getting supposedly saved) I still believe that the whole sequence was in vain and that Rei II really was lost.

Optimistic . . . ? Did you miss the part about near-Third Impact?

Seriously, if your reaction didn't mirror Misato's during that sequence you weren't paying attention. That wasn't optimistic at all. That was "Yeah, go Shinji!" followed by "Wait a minute, that ain't right . . . " followed by "Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?"

Near-Third Impact is bad! Pay attention!

[/rant]

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:11 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Seriously, if your reaction didn't mirror Misato's during that sequence you weren't paying attention. That wasn't optimistic at all. That was "Yeah, go Shinji!" followed by "Wait a minute, that ain't right . . . " followed by "Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?"

People is never satisfied; first they were all "Shinji, you have to do something by yourself", then they are "No Shinji! Everything but not that!". In fictions you can come to some conclusions only a posteriori (quite often it happens in real life as well), it was probably a good event, considered the results. Shinji would have started to follow the footsteps of NGE's Shinji if it weren't for this event.
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

evafanatic
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby evafanatic » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:12 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Optimistic . . . ? Did you miss the part about near-Third Impact?

Seriously, if your reaction didn't mirror Misato's during that sequence you weren't paying attention. That wasn't optimistic at all. That was "Yeah, go Shinji!" followed by "Wait a minute, that ain't right . . . " followed by "Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?"

Near-Third Impact is bad! Pay attention!

[/rant]
My bad, I didn't mean the sequence as a whole, just the Shinji saving Rei part.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

THE SCENARIO! BO

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:24 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:So far he's done that by giving fans what they think they want and making it really fucking awful.

... I don't see it. You sure this isn't just your opinion of Rebuild creeping out?

View Original PostStryker wrote:I still want to see Rei II progress,

As do I, but you know, I'm rather perplexed as to what Gendo could be thinking to plan for her to become quite this close to Shinji. It's like he's asking her to eventually betray him at this point. ("It's all according to the scenario").
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: THE SCENARIO! BO

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:30 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:As do I, but you know, I'm rather perplexed as to what Gendo could be thinking to plan for her to become quite this close to Shinji. It's like he's asking her to eventually betray him at this point. ("It's all according to the scenario").

Perhaps its that he wanted Rei to end up in Unit-01 like she is? There's a good chance she won't come out again, so maybe that's exactly where he wanted her, but couldn't get her there without Shinji. It didn't seem like his plans for her spoke to the idea of her coming back. Besides, he could always just get another one if not.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: THE SCENARIO! BO - B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:36 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote: Besides, he could always just get another one if not.

He couldn't get her soul back, in which case, her replacements would be totally useless as an Eva Pilot or for merging with Lilith. They could be used as dummy plugs... meh, that's it. Trying not to mine the gutter here.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: THE SCENARIO! BO - B/

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:41 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:He couldn't get her soul back, in which case, her replacements would be totally useless as an Eva Pilot or for merging with Lilith. They could be used as dummy plugs... meh, that's it. Trying not to mine the gutter here.

Oh, but now that you've brought it up, there's the fact that the spare Rei's don't need to be in a tank (if that brief snippet from the trailer is to be believed.) ....yeah, there's a lot of implications there.... Yeah, you're right, best to leave that alone.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:27 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:... I don't see it. You sure this isn't just your opinion of Rebuild creeping out?

So you didn't see Asuka's gratuitous panty shot right before we learned how broken and vulnerable she was? You didn't see the Asuka fanservice right before she got maimed via Bardiel? You didn't see Mari violate the hell out of poor Nigouki right after she rode to NERV's rescue? You didn't see Shinji "grow a spine" by making Rei's rescue all about him, right before he triggered 3I? You didn't see Kaworu's man love right before he stuck a spear in Shinji's back?

What show were you watching, then?
Last edited by Bagheera on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:32 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:What show were you watching, then?

One of the greatest show ever, for all those reasons (which weren't creepy in the least).
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:47 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:One of the greatest show ever, for all those reasons (which weren't creepy in the least).

Uh, yeah they were dude. I mean, obviously you don't think so, but you're cool with fucking your sister so you're not the best judge of such things.

But that aside there are all sorts of signs that we're supposed to think these things are creepy, and ignoring them doesn't make it any less so.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:55 pm

TOPIC (that's 2 threads now, wtf is wrong with you people?)

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Series Rei(s) Vs. Rebuild Rei(s)

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:24 am

Since the "Sohryu Vs. Shikinami" thread just resurfaced, I thought it would be appropriate to create a thread to debate the differences and similarities between the Reis of NGE and NME.

I'll start things off with a question: Is Rei any more or less aware of Lilith's soul within her in Rebuild than she was in the series? I think one of the most interesting references to this in both the series and Rebuild happens right before the battle with Ramiel, when Rei and Shinji are sitting next to their Evas, waiting for Operation Yashima to begin. When Shinji asks Rei what her reason for piloting Eva-00 is, she responds that she is a pilot because of her bond "to all people."

This response is the same in both the series and Rebuild. Does Rei mean that she is aware of her/Lilith's role as the progenitor of the human race, and is therefore acting in defense of her "children?" Or does she mean that she's piloting because of the bonds she's formed with others in her time as a human?

Rei is definitely aware of the fact that she is replaceable in Rebuild, but does she know the reason why? Or does she simply go along with everything because Gendo tells her to?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”