SPECULATION: Q/3.0 + ?/Final as one release?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:17 pm

oh shit

【緊急速報】バルト9で行われているヱヴァ破TV版上映後のミニイベント(司会:伊吹マヤ、ゲスト:加藤夏希)で、Q+?は一度に上映らしい。 #eva0826

it's possible that I'm just failing at Japan forever right now but

>Q+?は一度に上映らしい。

doesn't this mean Q and the final part will be screened at the same time?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Your part in green states "It seems that Q and ? will be screened together".

Hrmm. :sachi_blink:

Who's Twitter account is this? Don't believe I'm following them yet.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:04 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Your part in green states "It seems that Q and ? will be screened together".

Yeah, I read it right then...

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Who's Twitter account is this? Don't believe I'm following them yet.

dunno, it was posted in ANN comment thread as "confirmation" that Q and Final bill be aired together. But I don't know if that's official twitter of some kind. If it isn't it's probably worthless (and my worries unfounded)

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby JoeD80 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:26 pm

The official Khara twitter only mentions Q:

khara_inc wrote:株式会社カラー:『ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:Q』 2012年 秋 公開

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:50 pm

This may or may not shed light onto that tweet -- http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-3630.html
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kaname Langley
Asuka's Cousin
Asuka's Cousin

Postby Kaname Langley » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:53 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:This may or may not shed light onto that tweet -- http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-3630.html

:w00: :w00: :w00: fanorgasm mode activate!
Only losers consider the possibility of defeat without even trying.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:54 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:it's possible that I'm just failing at Japan forever right now but

>Q+?は一度に上映らしい。

doesn't this mean Q and the final part will be screened at the same time?

Your interpretation is not wrong but there is another interpretation:
THERE IS NO FOURTH MOVIE !!!!

Anyway, it is from the talk in the mini-event in the theater (Vald9, the same one Xard saw Macross Frontier movie) after the showing of the TV version of 2.22 which was hosted by Natsuki Kato, an otaku talento, and Miki Nagazawa, seiyuu of Maya.

加藤「次ってなんか二つあるんですよね?」
Kato - So there will be two movies next, right?

長沢「Qと?の四部作だったんだけどひとつにまとめてQになりました」
Nagazawa - It used to be a four part series with Q and ?. But now [the two] were merged and became Q.

加藤「Qで終わり?」
Kato - So it ends with Q?

長沢「終わり…だと思います。そこまでは聞いてないです。どうなんですかね?」
Nagazawa - I think... it ends [with that]. I have not heard about that far. So how would it become?

Given Nagazawa was only a seiyuu for a minor character, it is not clear how much she knows about all the plan and schedule of the project, but what she said gave enough concern that perhaps NME will only have 3 movies instead of 4.

There are more about the talk event. Apparently the voice acting part has not started at all yet. Also the story will move swiftly to a grim direction and it is expected to cause divided opinion. Many in 2ch are worried about a second coming of the nightmare of EoE....

And yes, http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-3630.html is part of what I have referenced in writing the above.

Last note: 2ch also complained quite a bit of 2.22 got cut in the TV version -- anyway...
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:01 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Many in 2ch are worried about a second coming of the nightmare of EoE....

....Wow. :cringe: Funny, since that information of the new preview was shown, I've been intrigued. And yet worried that Shikinami (and others) won't be properly expanded upon. Q being merged into Q/? would certainly be soon (and part of the reason of my worry, depending on how long the running time of each part--and the running time altogether would be), but fit the JoHaKyu naming theme quite nicely.

There's about 3 Angels left, Shikinami and Mari need proper exposition, mysteries need to be (mostly) properly explained... Even if this is as brilliant as EoTV and EoE, I don't want New Movie Edition to end the same way as those endings (hopeful but no resolution EoTV, bittersweet and open-ended EoE), either. An all new ending needs an all new ending, darn it!
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:05 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Also the story will move swiftly to a grim direction and it is expected to cause divided opinion.
So, what's the difference to 2.x? :P

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:07 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Last note: 2ch also complained quite a bit of 2.22 got cut in the TV version -- anyway...

The version that was shown on Japanese TV was 2.0, not the 2.22 DVD/BD (the extra footage from 2.22 wasn't included). 2.0 TV was instead tweaked with the audio/visuals to have the same quality as 2.22.

DemonSpade
Adam

Postby DemonSpade » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:10 pm

I am hoping for a double feature like EoE was, but at least 3 hours long. It's time to wrap this up, if not, some of us won't live long enough to see Final.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30425762&postcount=2056
Seems like even the people at gainax/Khara think that the story is too dark. the second coming of EoE? :w00:
Last edited by DemonSpade on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby qu4d » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:10 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Also the story will move swiftly to a grim direction and it is expected to cause divided opinion. Many in 2ch are worried about a second coming of the nightmare of EoE....

who would NOT want that? damn, i want to get my brain fucked as never before... 2.22 was already almost as impressive as EoE

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:12 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Anyway, it is from the talk in the mini-event in the theater (Vald9, the same one Xard saw Macross Frontier movie)

Best film theatre I've ever been to...I want to see some film on the biggest screen one day...

This explains why バルト9 felt so familiar...but I interprepted that as "World9" and had no idea what that could possibly mean :lol:

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Also the story will move swiftly to a grim direction and it is expected to cause divided opinion. Many in 2ch are worried about a second coming of the nightmare of EoE....

ANNNOOOOOOOOOOO :w00t:

In any case, I'm not entirely happy with this. Two films still to go and I wouldn't be worried...but only one? Is that really enough to cover anything?

Then again, I was worried how on Earth they could possibly put in whole second cour of MacrossF (and material from the first too) into Sayonara no Tsubasa but it worked out just perfectly. Guess I should have more faith...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:16 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Many in 2ch are worried about a second coming of the nightmare of EoE....
But that's what most of us would be wanting! Guess that's the cultural divide about "serious" anime at work again.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Linked forum post wrote:Still from the same event, Katô said that some people in-the-know find the plot for those last parts to be "too dark". Guess we shouldn't expect a Disney ending.

LAST B Rei'S ARM ENDING CONFIRMED! HEAD FOR THE HILLS! :derp:

Although, just because the stories are dark doesn't mean they can't end on hopeful or happy notes. Hmm. EoTV and EoE's endings are plentiful hopeful, just very open-ended. Which isn't a bad thing just...not the same thing thrice with open-endedness. It's time to give the characters proper closure. Please.

And also for consideration, the fact they took 3 years to work on Q does make sense if they're going along with the "Air (Haha.) Q and ? back to back" idea from years ago and properly working with the 序破急 naming/thematic scheme.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:25 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:The version that was shown on Japanese TV was 2.0, not the 2.22 DVD/BD (the extra footage from 2.22 wasn't included). 2.0 TV was instead tweaked with the audio/visuals to have the same quality as 2.22.

Then I wonder why they decided to use 2.0 instead of 2.22 for TV broadcast -- worry that no one would buy 2.22 if they can record it from TV? Also I have a feeling that they were talking some cuts that go beyond the difference between 2.0 and 2.22....

View Original Postqu4d wrote:who would NOT want that? damn, i want to get my brain fucked as never before... 2.22 was already almost as impressive as EoE

I for one. Brain/Mind fuck is not what I go for anime these days (not even in EoE days 14 years ago). Anyway, very few people (in Japan at least from what I read in 2ch) expect an absolutely happy ending. To be honest, I did not even watch 2.22 but it is good to know I should set my expectation when I finally get myself to watch NME.

View Original PostXard wrote: In any case, I'm not entirely happy with this. Two films still to go and I wouldn't be worried...but only one? Is that really enough to cover anything?

Actually 2.22 seems to cover the bulk of the story in the TV already, so I was thinking whether 2 full length movies are needed to end NME unless we have some long mind trip again. And now this news seems to confirm what I was thinking all along. Besides it will fit perfectly with the original thinking of Jo-Ha-Kyu steps from classic Japanese performing art.

Mr.Tines wrote:But that's what most of us would be wanting! Guess that's the cultural divide about "serious" anime at work again.

EoE was a nightmare to me, honestly. I would never ever ever want to go through the same turmoil again, please. I am not sure about what cultural divide about "serious" anime you were trying to say (or who are "us"), but that thing had a "serious" effect on my life -- and on balance not necessarily for the better. Anyway, since I now took care to isolate my feelings I would no longer be so readily caught up by Anno's trick.

As I said before: Anno is not to be trusted :stubborn:
Last edited by symbv on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby JoeD80 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:26 pm

It seems to me that the reason part 4 was named "?" in the first place was because it would take place after "急" and that Khara was planning to not properly fit it in to that structure.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm still a little skeptical, but this would explain why the production is taking so freaking long.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Sephizim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:48 pm

There’s no way they can wrap up the story in a satisfying way in one movie. Unless it was a long movie, they haven’t built the plot up enough to wrap it up in just two hours.

Of course, now that I’ve said that, watch as they do just that…

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:53 pm

I wonder how this will effect the release price?
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”