Evangelion 3.0 (Lack of) Updates

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Draconis
Adam

Postby Draconis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:31 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:This line is quite haliarious when taken out of context!

Wtf is a Noriko.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:49 pm

View Original PostDraconis wrote:Wtf is a Noriko.
Noriko was a person who--
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:03 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Noriko was a person who--

--wanted to become a space pilot. We're talking about the same Noriko, right?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:57 pm

What is it with the apostrophe and the PM?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Some hilarious math from the internets

β,B, or BETA is the second letter of the alphabet, meaning it's 2. EVA-02 is a definite 2.

So, add 2+2 and you get 4, and from the 3.0 you get 4+3 = 7! EVA:02'β is EVA-07! Makes PERFECT SENSE!
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:06 am

Newtype cover + Eva-02 lantern design = this movie will have a lot of (focus on?) Asuka. Cue the about-face from everyone who whined about how Anno had abandoned her.
/baseless speculation

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:12 am

For what it's worth, back in 2010, Anno drew up a sketch of God mode Eva-01, and designated it as EVA:01 α. Pic in the spoiler tags.

SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/eva01alpha.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Maybe he just thinks that Greek letters look cool. Or perhpas these letters denote some sort of hierarchy between the Units regarding their role in Seele's ritual and blah blah blah. "P. M." almost certainly stands for Production Model.

These sketches make me wish that Anno put away directing for a while and did some animation for serious.

Newtype cover + Eva-02 lantern design = this movie will have a lot of (focus on?) Asuka. Cue the about-face from everyone who whined about how Anno had abandoned her.

If promo images and other various illustrations were indicative of content, NGE would be a girl's love series centered around Asuka and Rei with Shinji as a minor supporting character.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 am

You have a pretty good memory SaltyJoe, it could be quite possible that it's simply an alternative designation for each Eva (even though I wonder which letter should be given to 00 in this case).
Also, I completely agree with you about the promotional material.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:42 pm

I can see it now:

>Asuka posters everywhere for 3.0
>3.0 releases.
>Little to no Asuka.

Stay gold Anno, stay gold....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Chroma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:12 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I can see it now:

>3.0 releases.
>Little to no Asuka.

'Course.

Could we really expect Anno to do anything different?
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:16 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I can see it now:

>3.0 releases.
>Little to no Asuka.

More likely he'll give us all the Asuka we've ever asked for, but only give her to us in ways that would make you want to slit your wrists. Most likely a depressing scene where the world ends to a joyous rendition of "Fly Me to The Moon".

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Chroma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:29 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:More likely he'll give us all the Asuka we've ever asked for, but only give her to us in ways that would make you want to slit your wrists. Most likely a depressing scene where the world ends to a joyous rendition of "Fly Me to The Moon".

I like to thing he's going to utterly destroy her, worse than he did at the end of the series/in EOE. Like, everything that can go wrong will go wrong. Did you see that confident smile at the end of 2.0 when she had her
SPOILER: Show
eyepatch
? Yeah. That's going to be the only time she smiles in the entire movie, besides when she cracks.

And it'll be set to "Kom, Sutter Tod" instead.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Yeah, right. B[

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:48 am

View Original PostChroma wrote:And it'll be set to "Kom, Sutter Tod" instead.

If it follows the current trend of replacing the soundtrack in dramatic moments with childhood diddies, I think you can expect something closer to this.

And if you study the lyrics, you'll realize the Germans, like Hideaki Anno, are rather keen on traumatizing children from a young age. It's a match made in Instrumentality.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Re: Yeah, right. B[

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:55 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:And if you study the lyrics, you'll realize the Germans, like Hideaki Anno, are rather keen on traumatizing children from a young age. It's a match made in Instrumentality.

I don't know about Anglo-Saxons but many Italian kid's songs are quite traumatising as well.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Yeah, right. B[

Postby Chroma » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:47 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:If it follows the current trend of replacing the soundtrack in dramatic moments with childhood diddies, I think you can expect something closer to this.

Oh God. A song like that is gonna be paired with something really traumatizing.

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:And if you study the lyrics, you'll realize the Germans, like Hideaki Anno, are rather keen on traumatizing children from a young age. It's a match made in Instrumentality.

I love you.

Mr. Pointy
Embryo

Postby Mr. Pointy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:59 am

Asuka is going to get shot to pieces by SEELE goons. And then in Eva 4.0, she'll come back as The One.
fatbloodyfinger.blogspot.com - Hideaki Anno approved!*

*Not approved by Hideaki Anno.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

The "New" Big O, B)

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:23 pm

View Original PostMr. Pointy wrote:Asuka is going to get shot to pieces by SEELE goons. And then in Eva 4.0, she'll come back as The One.

She's going to travel through the multi-verse, killing off Soryu and all the other alternate versions of herself in order to became a godlike being?

Never has the phrase "Saving Asuka from herself " been so apropos... Do you think the Quickenings will include cross-shaped explosions? Or just bring on the urge to jump up and down like a maniac?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: The "New" Big O, B)

Postby Chroma » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:16 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:She's going to travel through the multi-verse, killing off Soryu and all the other alternate versions of herself in order to became a godlike being?

Never has the phrase "Saving Asuka from herself " been so apropos... Do you think the Quickenings will include cross-shaped explosions? Or just bring on the urge to jump up and down like a maniac?

Cross-shaped fo' sho'. I've grown fond of those, and having Asuka cause them by killing AU versions of herself would be cool.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:29 am

Gentlemen, gentlemen! You're thinking far too small! The obvious thing would be for Asuka to team up with hundreds of her AU selves to wage war on the Rei clones. It would be like an LOTR battle, but with naked and giggling pasty girls.

Someone call up Issei Mataloun and get this script in Anno's hands STAT!

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

THE BIG OPRAH! B)

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:16 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Gentlemen, gentlemen! You're thinking far too small!

Cast ye in the name of God, you're right! Forget the explosions, the Quickenings will instead fatten her up, then just slap black paint on EVA-02, and tell Chiaki Konaka we got the climatic conclusion to The Big O right here.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”