[TV] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:31 am

Apparently, Stephen Colbert gave a shoutout to bronies yesterday.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:05 am

Whoa, he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8WrKIvSEWI
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:12 am

^Excellent. Though I wish there was more.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:36 am

Longer version. Lower quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DAQTWvjd7E
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:51 am

Thanks, ZapX.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:26 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Lauren said he's a distant relative.

Very distant, like 52 times removed, from their aunt. She originally wanted to make him a duke, but Hasbro vetoed it on the grounds that no-one would know what a duke was. The Princesses have a bit of precedent in fiction thanks to the leader of the Federated Suns being called a prince or princess, but Blueblood . . . Yeah. So one more reason to dislike him, he messes up the Equestrian aristocracy.

Speaking of BattleTech though, have some Pinkie Pie.

SPOILER: Show
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:13 am

So yeah I sorta tried to show it to some of my other friends. They weren't able to make it past the opening theme. I was kinda drunk so when my friend was like "my little pony what the hell?" my response was just to tackle him and put some wrestling moves on him.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:34 pm

That's too bad. Maybe you should try again when you're sober. Or you could skip over the intro. I can see how it could be a little too advanced for beginners.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:05 am

Yeah might make a try at that

Anyway I posted something awesome in this thread speculating about if cutie marks are like periods

http://www.ponychan.net/chan/pony/res/35739741.html#35739907
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:15 am

You used a different name, but I'm pretty sure I figured out which one is you. :lol:

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:43 am

The reactions are priceless.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:03 am

I lol'd so hard at the reactions.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:56 am

No, clearly the appearance of a cutie mark signifies a magical branding of the pony in question into the predetermined niche on society that the divine dictators have chosen them to fill. It's a subtle form of brainwashing that affects a pony all their lives, but up until the moment their resistance has been completely worn away and the brand appears there is still hope for them to be free of the system's mandate.

Sadly, such troublesome foals are usually dealt with by way of 'accidents'.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:51 pm

^The game I played today chronicles their eventual fate.

Finally play the Story of the Blank Flanks. It was a fun if very short game. The only problem I had with it was that damn fast zombie. I'll admit I thought I was going to be stuck there for awhile.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:52 am

So I just saw "Feelin' Pinkie Keen". I feel a bit unsettled that FiP is apparently advocating belief in the supernatural.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:29 am

^The story takes place in a world with rainbow-farting cloud-walking pegasuses and anthropomorphic unicorns that can accomplish human human tasks by making items float around with their miracle horns. What did you expect?

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:01 am

I'm totally writing a one-shot for Equestria Daily's Luna fanfic challenge that's up right now. I'm looking at it being around 30,000 words by the time I'm going to be done. Gonna destroy the competition, yo.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:30 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:(...) What did you expect?

What I expect of all these kiddy shows: that they're packaged with various Aesops that are supposed to be somehow applicable to the viewers' mundane human existences.

The message of "Pinkie Keen" was clearly stated: "It's okay to believe in things that you can't explain". We saw the systematic defeat of Twilight's naturalism in the face of Pinkie Pie's clairvoyant Tourette's, to the point that she staked her survival on a "leap of faith" that saved her only through Goldbergian contrivance.

Considering all the problems getting kids to think critically these days, any sort of invitation NOT to do it seems like a fairly precarious Aesop to me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:15 pm

^Given the overcompensating degree to which materialism is proliferated in the rest of our culture--particularly on the internet--I don't see a problem with a cartoon acknowledging that there are limits to our understanding of reality. It isn't something specific to MLP, either. Just about every cartoon I ever watched as a kid had an episode involving such a message. "Act rationally, think logically, but don't do so in a way that blinds you," etc. It isn't a message of hopeless futility or irresponsible faith, it's one more embedded in the realism of how far our knowledge can take us.

Reichu wrote:We saw the systematic defeat of Twilight's naturalism in the face of Pinkie Pie's clairvoyant Tourette's, to the point that she staked her survival on a "leap of faith" that saved her only through Goldbergian contrivance.
Given the internal logic of MLP and the situation that Twilight was faced with, what other option was there? Sit around, refuse to believe in anything she can't see with her own flash-animated eyes, and get devoured by a hydra? The alternative was far-fetched but at least there was a chance for survival.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:56 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:So I just saw "Feelin' Pinkie Keen". I feel a bit unsettled that FiP is apparently advocating belief in the supernatural.

THIS
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Film and Video”