(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:50 am

The project is going well. Admittedly, I haven't done much work since the end of June, but I had it mostly written down and all it really needs is some polish.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:48 pm

View Original PostChowwow wrote:Be careful with that: the Judges will be rating the entries based on how believable they are in context with the rest of the anime. Though we have seem many entries in the past that stretch the boundaries of what is possible, in the end they had to stay true with the spirit of an Eva. It would be cool to see an Eva utilizing some unique, one-off equipment into the universe, but this is Eva after all, and not Gundam.

Besides, the Angels seem to be the solitary sort: they come one at a time with no attempt at cooperation what so ever. Tf anything they would seem to be more prone to violence against each other, their goal being a matter of existence and non-existence after all.

Sorry Chow. I wasn't intending it to be a serious statement, just a means of conversing with Tehprognoob while trying my best to stay relevant with the topic. Those are some valid points I never considered, about angels I mean.

I shall try my best to behave... :shinji_boohoo:
Avatar: Eva Unit 6.66 LCFL (My original design)

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:33 am

The days of Presentations are coming soon! I'd like another progress report from everyone involved. I am also now taking requests for places in the Presentation schedule; you can request a date range (the beginning, middle, end, etc.) and I will try to fit you in based on your progress and the progress of others.

Registrations will still be open until Aug. 14th, though time will be tight by then.

On the home stretch guys, I can't wait to see what everyone's got!

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:26 am

Angel is prepped and ready. Eva still needs images and edits to write-up.

Ideally, I would order my presentations as Eva first- Angel second, so I'll try to be quick about the Eva.
With any luck, I might be able to kick off the show.

At the time of typing- Yes. That profile picture IS me. Though I am back to shaving and the antennas are longer now.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:38 pm

The info for my eva is finished. All thats left is to finish the drawings. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to the art so I'd say I'll be ready for a "middle" presentation at the latest. I shall keep you updated Chow.

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Drawings are 2/3 done. I'd like a late presentation for Eva, Angel and Lilim

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:33 pm

My Angel is coming along nicely. My drafting is set to be finished sometime tomorrow, and then I'm going on to edit it. I think I'd like a late start though to make some last minute decisions.

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

MillionsKnives
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MillionsKnives » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:41 pm

I'd like to enter. Wish I'd seen the thread earlier, but I'm such a geek I already have some sketches of *stuff* that I can hopefully draw some neater versions of before the 15th! I'd like to be placed pretty late in my presentation if its ok, since I've only got a few days atm

(I really think the amount of rules etc could be simplified down. It seems a bit other-thought and daunting for a bit of fun ^^; )

I'm excited to see everyone designs :D

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Isn't it due in like 3 days?? o_0 hurry mang

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:48 pm

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:Isn't it due in like 3 days?? o_0 hurry mang

Technically, he has a bit more time than that, but time will indeed be short. It's not that impossible though, so it's still up to him to enter.

I'll have a schedule set up by tomorrow. Anyone who is done now, I would appreciate their submission in advance.

While Judges are a little short this time around, I'm still expecting this year to be a hell of a ride. The wait is almost over, can't wait to see what we've gotten cooked up!

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 pm

Hey Chow, any idea on what this schedule will be like?

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:23 pm

Sorry that I was late with scheduling, I have no excuses for that. Big announcements today. MillionsKnives has been accepted for the Eva League of the Contest. To reflect this:

As of August 14, 8:28 pm EST:

Eva Designers:
    tehprognoob
    chazthesilencer
    Archaiel
    MillionsKnives

Angel Designers:
    tehprognoob
    chazthesilencer
    Combs
    Holy Diver
    AyrYntake
    Omegagouki

Judges:
    NemZ
    Omegagouki

And now:

Presentation Schedule for EvADC:
    Aug. 15: chazthesilencer (Eva)
    Aug. 16: chazthesilencer (Angel)
    Aug. 17: Archaiel (Eva)
    Aug. 18: Holy Diver (Angel)
    Aug. 19: tehprognoob (Eva)
    Aug. 20: tehprognoob (Angel)
    Aug. 21: Omegagouki (Angel)
    Aug. 22: AyrYntake (Angel)
    Aug. 23: Combs (Angel)
    Aug. 24: MillionsKnives (Eva)

Here we go!

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Evangelion Unit: DD by chazthesilencer

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:04 am

Now Presenting Designs for the Evangelions versus Angels Design Contest, 2011!

We kick off this year's Contest with another timely entry from chaz. It's part of a series, so listen up!

August 15
Image chazthesilencer

chazthesilencer wrote: NERV Product Evaluation. Item #3.16

PRODUCT NAME/SERIAL:
Evangelion Unit: DD

AKA:
"Dee-Dee" or "The Dog”

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5294/dd01q.jpg

On permanent Standby.

HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT:
Originally created as part of the ill-fated Project: Pigmy.
Pigmy’s goal was to create a smaller- therefore- cheaper Evangelion unit, allowing for easier repair and transportation.

Ironically- it ended up being harder to transport, harder to repair and more expensive to produce than any other Evangelion unit in the company’s history.
Due to the difficulty of its development and the numerous problems exhibited by the unit- the project was stressful and unpopular with the staff; working on the project was said to be “the dogs”, hence the unit’s nickname.

Towards the end of development, a merger took place between Project: Pigmy and Project: Wolf Fang, this merger saved both failing projects from being scrapped.
Despite numerous flaws with the finished model, DD was eventually approved as an operations unit- on the sole condition that it be used only in the most dire of emergencies.

No more units are expected to be made under Project: Pigmy ever again.

[URL=http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/5035/ddheight.jpg]Image[/URL]___[URL=http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6316/dd02o.jpg]Image[/URL]

STRENGTHS:
1__ DD’s armour is light-weight, allowing for quicker movement compared to the regular Evangelions.
2__ The “Wolf Fang” positron rifle attached to its shoulder is a compact and powerful prototype weapon, capable of firing a shot more powerful than any other weapon in our arsenal.
3__ Its size (roughly 1/2 that of a regular Evangelion) could be viewed as both a strength and a weakness- but its smaller size at least makes it a difficult target for enemy attack.

WEAKNESSES:
1__ DD’s most notable flaw is its malformed arms (possibly a side effect of the gene manipulation used to stunt the unit’s growth); because of these- it cannot handle any weapons or equipment.
2__ DD’s armour has been stripped down to the bare minimum, leaving it very poorly protected.
3__ In addition to the poor armour- its bones are brittle, cellular structure weak, has a slow regeneration rate and an unpredictable AT field, ranging in strength from weak to very weak.
4__ DD is incompatible with the regular Evangelion power cables, meaning it can only run on internal battery power.

The “Wolf Fang” is a potent weapon, but it has its own list of flaws-
5__ The rifle was very unreliable during its testing phase, successfully firing barely 40% of the time.
6__ Worse- the effective firing range of each shot was limited to roughly 200m (after which the shot scatters and loses all power).
7__ Worse still- the rifle can only carry one round at a time.
8__ Worst of all- the rifle cannot be reloaded without lab assistance.

The Wolf Fang was given the derogatory nickname: “the Dog’s bark”.

[URL=http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1280/ddturnaround.jpg]Image[/URL]___ [URL=http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7168/ddturnaroundhead.jpg]Image[/URL]

COMMENTS:
Members of staff have said on record-

“Dee-Dee is considerably weak compared to the other Eva units, showcasing barely a quarter of their proportional strength.”
“(the) A.T. Field is unstable and unpredictable, not to mention terribly weak.”
Development Engineer Dr. Tom Yum Goong.

“Its cellular structure is very frail and it could deteriorate at any moment. Maintaining it will come at a huge cost to both manpower and resources.”
“We’ve seen a poor rate of cell regeneration, too. It’ll be a nightmare to repair this thing should it ever be damaged in battle.”
Project Supervisor Dr. Kuwabatake Sanjuro.

“It has a short activation time, it can’t handle any weapons, it’s poorly protected, too weak and too unreliable to plan any strategy around.
If it runs out of power, gets damaged, fails to shoot or fails to score a hit - it’s done for.
…but if we really do get into that bad of a pinch, it just might be the game saver we need at the last moment.
As long as it can move- I suggest we keep in our reserves, there may come a day when we just might need it. Let’s just pray that day will never come…”

Field Operations Major Katsuragi.

PILOT:
Kenichi (Kenny) Deikirudo
Kenny is a poor American child. He is not too hopeful of his chances of survival.

===============================================

Product Evaluated by Chazthesilencer

And with this, the bar is set!

Next time:
Image chazthesilencer (Angel)
Last edited by Chowwow on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:59 am

sounds underpowered....
Like, a reaction to the "evas are too OP" thing.

Was that the 3D you used? You have an amazing amount of time. Would have liked a few more mechanical details, though.

And Chow, should I send in mine tonight, then?

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Delightfully quirky Chaz! Great job!

Hmmm, constructive criticism.... I'd say that a little more info on the mechanics would be nice, particularly how DD is incompatible with umbilical cables or any recharging mechanism.

I don't see how anything can stand out better than this but I guess e'll have to wait and see.

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:25 pm

A handicapable Eva? Brilliant! Excellent work Chaz.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Huaddaheul: the Angel of Nourishment by chazthesilencer

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:26 pm

We follow up on the work of the King of Quirk with another one from chaz:

August 16
Image chazthesilencer

chazthesilencer wrote:Excerpts from the diary of Huaddaheul; the Angel of Nourishment.

^File photo of the author (taken during primary school). Author plans to update image soon, as he no longer requires braces; see video footage here.
Written by Huaddaheul. Illustrations by Huaddaheul. Edited by Chazthesilencer.

=====================================

Entry 01   SPOILER: Show
Dear Diary,

When I’m zapped to earth I hope I can meet Ms. Squid sometime, God said she was a major influence on my design.

Food won’t be a problem on my travels, I can always eat my cheese flavoured tentacles if I get hungry…which is never, actually.

It shouldn’t be long now. I’m so excited!

Entry 02   SPOILER: Show
Dear Diary,

I’ve come to life! Now I begin my journey to find Lilith.
I don’t see how finding Fraiser’s ex-wife will benefit me, but God insisted on it…so, whatever.

Entry 03   SPOILER: Show
Dear Diary,

Interesting day.

I’d been levitating around the planet by myself for a few weeks, then I suddenly ran into this bunch of ADAM look-alikes. There were three of them: purple, red and blue. A colourful bunch…

I extended my tentacles for a handshake and grasped the purple one’s hand- but he started flailing around like I was attacking him or something; unfortunately- he ended up getting completely entangled by my multiple tentacles. .
With a little shaking I managed to set him free, but his costume was already damaged from the heat of my tentacles by then.

The other two started a game of soldiers and began shooting their toy guns at me.
My AT Field kept me safe, so I wasn’t too bothered, but kids really shouldn’t play with such dangerous toys. I confiscated the guns, but they instantly melted in my tentacles.

They all ran off. Not the greatest of first impressions…

Entry 04   SPOILER: Show
Dear Diary,

I was killed today!
What’s up with that!?

I ran into the ADAM-trio again, this time though- they were playing hide and seek, hiding behind hills and tall buildings.
I could sense them pretty easily, but I didn’t know that one of them had brought a much bigger toy rifle this time- it was so powerful that it shot a hole right through my belly! Thank goodness my core is located at the bottom of my body (protected by my stronger tentacles) and the shot missed it.
I confiscated this dangerous rifle but it melted again- I really should learn to control this heat-reflex…

They weren’t playing very nice, so I decided to make use of my burrowing ability and drilled my body into the ground. My body and core was shielded by the earth and safe from any other pranks they might play.

Whilst underground I felt a metal plate or something below me. Strange.
I burrowed down a little deeper, drilling through the metal as I did so (my extra-strong tentacles surrounding my core made light work of the plate) but I soon came across another layer of metal…maybe something important was buried beneath me?

Beats me.

I kept digging my way down until I felt a tugging on my tentacles- they were still sticking out of the ground above me and the ADAM-trio must have taken me for a carrot or something and decided to play farmers.

They eventually pulled me out of the ground- although it must have burned their hands really badly, not to mention taken a lot of effort.
All three were tangled in my tentacles by the time my core was out of the ground, but a fourth playmate had joined the game. (S/he had a ribbon: “Best in Contest” I think it said. Cute.)

I still had a few tentacles free, so attempted another handshake- unfortunately s/he blasted my exposed core with a new weapon at point blank range.

“That’s an unusual way to clip the roots!” I thought to myself.

So now I’m dead. Bummer.

I don’t think many people have died in the middle of a game of “farmers”, but now I know better. Kids these days should stick to playing video games, it’s much safer than playing outside.

Bedtime now. If God allows it- I think I’ll have toast for breakfast tomorrow.

That was.... that. And so progress marches on!

Next time:
Image Archaiel (Eva)

We're doin' great so far! Let's carry that momentum!

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:22 am

What the hell?
The Angel...just...
looool?

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Pahahahahahahaha! You art the KING of Quirk Chaz! xD

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:53 pm

^^ Ah, just the reaction I wanted :] Now I can die happy.

^ :worship:
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Return to “Fan Works”