What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby evaunit13 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:12 pm

i've been watching Bakemonogatari for the past few days, i love the style and it's been really entertaining. i lol'd hard at the Gaijin 4koma shot in episode 9 :lol:
i want rebuild

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:31 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:i've been watching Bakemonogatari for the past few days, i love the style and it's been really entertaining. i lol'd hard at the Gaijin 4koma shot in episode 9 :lol:

Bakemonogatari ranks as one of my most favorite anime and I have even bought the original light novels (now reading other books in the series too).

Not sure if you know about the prequel of Bakemonogatari, Kizumonogatari, will be released as a movie in next year. There were some discussion of it here:
viewtopic.php?p=430079#430079
viewtopic.php?t=11015
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:oh right, the magic OC whose existence I totally forgot because she was completely unmemorable. I think she just kind of told them to get out of there as the fortress was crashing. I kind of expected her to be the Winged Goddess too but one would have expected Folken to notice that if it were the case. And at the end Hitomi obviously does have actual wings, which I don't recall her ever showing

Looking at the site where there other interview was on...looks like I wasn't mindscrewed by it without reason :hohum:

SPOILER: Show
12. Who is the true Wing Goddess — Hitomi or Sora?

That's the million-dollar question, isn't it?

The characters in the movie all assume that it is Hitomi, but if you watch the film carefully, you will find many clues indicating that Sora is the real Wing Goddess. Note how Sora gives ambiguous answers to Folken's questions about the Wing Goddess' whereabouts. When he asks if the Wing Goddess is present in Torushina, she replies yes — which is true whether the Tsubasa no Kami is Hitomi or herself. Earlier in the film, Sora tells Folken that the Wing Goddess is on Gaia and has made her way to the other dragon, Van. But her wording leaves it unclear if she is referring to Hitomi, who has physically appeared in front of Van, or to herself, who is clearly starting to side with Van and the Abaharaki on a philosophical level. The proverbial smoking gun is the fact that at the end of the film, Escaflowne at one point appears to be dissolving and flowing into Sora.

The evidence in Prologue 1: Earth and Prologue 2: Gaea, on the other hand, appears to indicate that Hitomi is in fact the Tsubasa no Kami. In the drama, Sora frequently refers to Hitomi as the Wing Goddess in no uncertain terms. Either she is lying outright, or Sora herself honestly believes that the chosen one is Hitomi. However, some fans have claimed that the radio drama is not true canon because it was written before film production was complete. Thus, the argument goes, the drama cannot be used as proof one way or the other.

At Anime Expo 2003, Lizzard asked director Kazuki Akane about this issue point-blank. He responded that the ambiguity about the identity of the Wing Goddess is intentional, and that he wants fans to draw their own conclusions. He refused to say who is the real Tsubasa no Kami — perhaps Hitomi, perhaps Sora, perhaps both, perhaps neither. Perhaps there is no Tsubasa no Kami at all. Akane wants the fans to watch the film and decide for themselves. And that is as much of an answer as we shall ever receive.

this just leaves me wondering why they'd do it like that. What's the purpose... I don't remember the film well enough anyway :shrug:

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I mean SDFM was pretty happy (unless you're Minmay, lol) because even with the unavoidable cruelty of picking one girl over the other, it all works out and the loser is the better for having lost. Vision of Escaflowne was kind of silly in that regard: she stopped caring about one guy, aimed for the other, got him, and then left him because I MUST GO MY PEOPLE NEED ME. Which is always a bad excuse. And best guy ended up with the blah friend. At least the movie didn't pretend she had a choice, but...

Well I did leave out SDFM/DYRL on purpose (also, Minmay's great True End is in Flash Back 2012)... as for Escaflowne, it makes sense if one thinks about it and there was no other proper way to end it, even just for themes (tv series made this pretty apparent but I don't remember the case with movie that well):

For some reason a lot of fans equate a good ending with a happy ending. This is an immature way to view a story — any story. A perfect, happy ending would have been inappropriate for Escaflowne. Here's why.

The whole point of Escaflowne is that you have to love others and be honest with yourself, despite the fact that it won't always lead to a happy ending. Thus, tacking a happy ending onto the tale would have insulted the viewers and ruined the show's entire message.

Moreover, it would not have been true to the characters if Van and Hitomi had stayed together. For example, let's look at Hitomi....

* In the TV series, Hitomi never truly feels part of Gaea, and she does not ever lose her desire to return home. She has friends, family, and dreams on Earth that she has to return to, or else she'll lose everything that has made her who she is. She returns to Gaea the first time she leaves because she has unfinished business there. Once everything has been taken care of — and her love for Van acknowledged — there is no need to stay. That is, no need unless you count the selfish desire to stay suction-cupped to Van's rear end. That type of selfishness goes against Hitomi's nature. Staying to indulge her whims would prove that Hitomi wasn't who we thought she was, and that her love for Van wasn't true and mature in the first place. If love and trust depend on close proximity, then they aren't really love and trust.

* In the movie, Hitomi doesn't love her life on Earth — she wants to disappear. But her stay in Gaea allows her to rediscover her ability to care for others and her hopes for the future. If she didn't return home to use the new lessons she had learned, there would be no purpose in her having learned them in the first place.

Escaflowne tries to make the point that true, mature love can endure no matter what may occur to test it — and that it can stay true even if life doesn't turn out to have a perfect ending. Had Escaflowne been given that perfect ending, it would have been hypocritical. Have you ever been frustrated when you hear smart people saying calculus is simple, or talented artists saying that drawing should be easy for everyone? Had Hitomi and Van stayed together, Escaflowne's message would have been cheapened in the same way. The show can't send a message about the strength of love in the face of hardship if everybody has a happy ending by the closing credits.

Director Kazuki Akane has stated that that "perfect" endings are suitable only for fairy tales. Escaflowne is no fairy tale.

Overall I'm happy and content with the way they ended it despite my initial WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT reactions. It was the only right way.

Moving on moving on...

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee ep 2 was really nice watch. Better than first episode, in my opinion :)

I also started this (props for Dr. Nick)

jesus this cat may put Tonnura-san in shame when it comes to trolling

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:11 pm

I just watch the first episode of the 4 part Enma OVA Demon Prince Enma. So this is what a psychological horror or thriller is like, much like those clips of Death Note I've seen. Anyway, this didn't really have anything going for it aside from trying to be dark, psychological, and horrifying; not that any of that is bad mind you it just wasn't executed all that well.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:21 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Excluding original Macross (which was remarkably unromantic solution, according to Kawamori Hikaru chose Misa because he was no longer ruled by "fleeting emotions" :hohum: )

FOR REALS? He said that? lol

As for Escaflowne the Movie, although I do kind of enjoy the alternate portrayal of Shinji!Hitomi, the abrupt shift in the relationship between her and Van about half-way into the movie always left me feeling very, very perplexed... Not like there weren't any sudden shifts in that department in the TV series in a manner of speaking, but this was on a whole different level... O.O

As for the ending,
I seem to recall an interview with Yoko Kanno and Kazuki Akane being among the DVD extras for the movie edition. IIRC she was making fun of him for projecting his own issues with women onto the characters, making him unable to write an ending where they (any couple of them) actually stay together ... or something to that effect. Anyone recalls this?

Personally I think it can be considered a "mature" or "immature" ending depending on how you look at it... how you interpret it. Indeed the choice between the possible ending scenarios shouldn't even have to be a binary. I mean, Death, for example, could happen. :p

As for the whole "true love through the years and faraway" angle, really, it could be argued that it can be more difficult to tolerate and love your chosen grumpy guy on a daily basis as he chops off enemy heads and scratches his butt while belting out war-cries than it is to be in love with a faraway fantasy... :p

Personally, I think Hitomi going back to Earth might close the circle nicely in the movie version she has better chemistry with that hot movie!Yukari anyway, if only it were more... convincingly executed... BTW, IIRC they make a big deal of Van finally having found one person to trust... and she suddenly leaves. And he just stands there and smiles. Lol.

It might have been interesting to have them at least try to pull off different ending scenarios in the two versions of the anime though. Like, say, show us whether you can actually write a "happily everafter" ending and make it poignant!

View Original PostXard wrote:chance of homolust seems incredibly high though - you can read this as a positive or negative attribute...

Oh, that could be an interesting attribute, depending on how it is executed... :tongue:

I shall check out this Bunny Drop of which you speak of.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Watched Kamisama Dolls and Steins;Gate.

Kamisama Dolls was better then last week. It has reached the level of generic. Though there's still too much silliness and the music sucks hard.

Steins;Gate was great. Much was accomplished and even better Okabe took himself to task for how childish he has behaved up until this point. I really hope he doesn't backslide.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby evaunit13 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:21 pm

finished Bakemonogatari, it was good but it left me a weird taste, but now i'm highly anticipating Kizumonogatari. i thought everything in that first "trailer" in the first episode was going to be in the series, which is why i expected a lot more.

steins;gate made me look forward to next week, as always.
Last edited by evaunit13 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i want rebuild

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:22 pm

Watched two more first episodes of shows in the last few days.

First up is Welcome to the NHK. Fun on a bun; it's always nice to watch a main character's psychosis, the drunkish imaginary usually brings joy to me, the realistic viewpoint mixed in with the fantastic quality of the guy's personality should be interesting to watch, and I'm looking forward to watching more if I continue to, well, continue, since I want to know what on earth is going to happen to the guy.

As for the next one...well...

So I was watching Mawaru Penguindrum, I was, and I'm enjoying what I'm seeing. The brother relationship is always refreshing to see, the color style is bright, but original, and I see potential eye candy in the future, and the penguins should bring some fun comic material in the future. And then...

Survival Strategy.

Yeah, you're going to see me in the 2011 Summer Anime thread starting with the next episode.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:16 am

First episode of Kamisama Dolls -- if this is being typically front-loaded on the art and animation effort, I'm expecting plenty of QUALITY down the line. At least the paste-on CGI wasn't as terrible as in episode 1 of Bantorra; but there was something about the style that felt dull. While the OP and ED animation was crisp and quite contrast to the rest, the OP song was tedious and the ED rose to the level of forgettable.

And that klutzy tsundere imouto... The whole episode was all over the place in terms of tone and mood, mainly due to her baleful influence after shit started to go down.

I think I shall wait to hear whether it picks up down the line.

I fear Xard has been exposed to too many lolis in recent years -- put Shiba with the girls from Team Warrior, and she'd get the Lina Inverse treatment.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby evaunit13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm

i've been watching Nichijou, but as far as episode 4, i can't get into it. it's probably due to my dependency on subtitles that i don't get many of the jokes, i guess it's just not for me.
i want rebuild

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Bunny/Usagi Drop: I have to thank Xard for this one. Every word he said regarding the first episode, I agreed with (even the teary-eyed comment); the character's actions rang true, seeing the kids actually acting like kids is adorable, and you have no idea on how refreshing it is to watch an ADULT slice-of-life show for once. Whoever wrote the story clearly experienced what the audeince was watching, and I certainly commend him for starting the show with a funeral; truly a show that's aimed in a different direction.

Great opening them too might I add. Yup, definitely going to try keeping up with it.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Watched Blood-C. This show looks quite promising. I like the look of it and this version of Saya is a hugh improvement over the wimp from Blood+.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Just watched "Miniaunt Drops".

I cried, I laughed.

...and finally I became hungry.

Think I am going to check out Blood C...

Oh, also started yet another rewatch of Fafner last night... :sweatdrop:

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37 pm

View Original PostLiLi wrote:Just watched "Miniaunt Drops".

what is that? I can't find it on MAL or ANN

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:39 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:what is that? I can't find it on MAL or ANN

:lol: Mini-aunt = Rin.

Sorry I confuzzled you. :tongue:
Last edited by LiLi on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

tot411y 3p1c d00d

Postby Killer Bee » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:43 pm

Finished reading (playing?) the Fate/Stay Night VN for the first time without knowing anything about it beforehand. It was good, but took way too long to get into the swing of things. The high school antics in the beginning were cliche and boring; you'd think Sakura and Issei would become more important to the plot considering how much screentime they had and, considering Issei, the whole Ryudou Temple thing. I also thought the stereotypical RPG mechanics of the Servants and magic system were a bit silly and out of place, but this was my first visual novel and I enjoyed it overall.

After that I watched Unlimited Blade Works which was--excuse the phrase--totally epic.

...except for whenever they said "I am the bone of my sword." I think I snorted milk out my nose every time someone said that.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Re: tot411y 3p1c d00d

Postby Azathoth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:53 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:you'd think Sakura...would become more important to the plot

uhhhh

are you sure you finished HF
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:56 pm

View Original PostLiLi wrote::lol: Mini-aunt = Rin.

Sorry I confuzzled you. :tongue:

You know, I suspected that and thought "miniaunt" was some weird language for bunny but google didn't turn up with anything... oh boy do I feel stupid now :lol:

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Nobody likes Issei.

Postby Killer Bee » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:07 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:are you sure you finished HF

Never said I finished HF. After finishing the main game I watched the UBW movie; I haven't played the UBW or HF routes yet.

That's good to know she becomes important, though; too bad about Issei.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Just watched the first episode of Blood C. Don't exactly know what to make of this show yet.

Until now I had mistakenly thought that CLAMP had only contributed the character designs for the anime, but I couldn't shake the feeling that their hand was strong in the characters and writing.

I was reminded of a bunch of older CLAMP titles such as X, CCS and XXXHolic ('Saya is like the love child of Kamui and Watanuki with a touch of Sakura Kinomoto', is what I thought... :tongue:)

Checking the credits and finding out that Ohkawa Nanase is indeed involved in the actual writing and the Director is none other than XXXHolic's Mizushima cleared things up quite a bit for me.

Still, feels so so Clampesque and yet so all over the place in tone as it walks the line between comedy and srs bzns...

Return to “Old Stickies”