[LAEM] What happens if they butcher it?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

consrv4us
Embryo

What happens if they butcher it?

Postby consrv4us » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:15 pm

I wonder if a very bad adaptation of a the series would ruin the reputaton

of the original anime itself.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:41 pm

It's likely that everything that some people know of Evangelion will be from the live action film(s). If it does terrible, or is really lousy, people will likely assume the same or similar of the Evangelion anime. So yes, it is very possible that this project, if unsuccessful, could tarnish the reputation of Evangelion. But when you think about it, a show has to have a reputation in order to be tarnished. So instead of indifference, there will be negative reputation. I trust the anime fans to know better than to judge Eva based upon an adaptation. It's the normal public you should be concerned about. But even with them, it doesn't really matter, they don't matter as far as Evangelion is concerned.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:25 pm

On the flipside, if the movie is good and does well, then it won't that generate more interest in the Anime?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:51 pm

Timstuff wrote:On the flipside, if the movie is good and does well, then it won't that generate more interest in the Anime?

It could; it could also merely generate a market for many, many more live-action films based on anime, thereby opening a door for mainstream consumption of anime culture almost EXCLUSIVELY through live-action remakes.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Ripple_in_Eternity
Adam

Postby Ripple_in_Eternity » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:13 pm

You've thought that through, eh Hexon.Arq? But could anime in general ever truely be mainstream? Infact, would we want all those idiots that complain about minor details in mainstream stuff to come to anime? Would that ruin it for you too? If they butcher it, no idiots complain. If they make it orgasmicaly, mind-blowingly awesome, the rain of idiots with the internet will flood this site with topics like " wHaT if shiGi waz kewl?!?1?" If that should ever happen, it would ruin Eva for me. There are more variables than the hypothetical failure of the LAEM to consider when asking how Eva's popularity will change in the future.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Mundane » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:44 pm

MY AVATAR! :o
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby zeaven » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:46 pm

Your point might be valid if we assume that all people who watch anime are inherently intelligent and mature, or that anime attracts these people.

So, let's not assume that, because it's definitely not true. If the live-action movies maintain the introspective/thoughtful nature of the series, dumb people will not understand it and will not like it the same way they don't like more cerebral action movies. And I doubt the live-action movies will reach the same depth as the series, just because... well, I'm not sure. But that's not to say it won't be deep at all. Let's hope it is.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:42 am

If by not as deep we are to mean "it might cause less p1$$y arguements amongst viewers than the Anime did", then that will probably be true. But if you mean the integrity and intelligence of the plot along with the deep characters and dramatic elements, then hopefully it will not deviate far from the Anime. It's true that there's only so much that you can pack into 3 2-3 hour long movies, but that doesn't mean that they'll have to sacrifice what makes Eva great (the characters).

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby zeaven » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:45 am

But they'll probably remove some of it, turning something phenomenal into something just really good.

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby AuthenticM » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:35 am

If LAEM is butchered, it will be ADV's reputation that will be tarnished. If I were in their shoes, I'd just make sure as hell it doesn't flop.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Darius
Lilith

Postby Darius » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:29 am

It is true...this movie can open a door that could possibly open many other doors...Hopefully it will all go into place like the domino effect...Let's say the movie succeeds...people like Eva more..more Live-Action movies are produced because of the success...and probably a lot more things to happen.

But me personally, I'm hoping they don't butcher it for the sake of viewing...Probably like a bunch (if not all) of everyone in this forum.

That is my assumption of course, I just hope its true =)

Ripple_in_Eternity
Adam

Postby Ripple_in_Eternity » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:17 pm

I honestly hope it will be mind-blowingly, orgasmically awesome. If not, I'll stick to EoE and D&R...

treeoflife
Embryo

Postby treeoflife » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:22 pm

Actually, despite how much I love Evangelion, I'm not looking forward to this live-action movie nor am I expecting it to do well. They've set some high expectations for it, and I think those expectations will be shattered if and when this project arrives. EOE and D&R will always be my favorites. But for the show's sake, I hope it does well with the general public.
Rummaging for answers in the pages.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:30 pm

I actually did not like D&R very much. The "death" portion served well enough as a big recap episode between the show and EoE, but it felt very jumbled to me and didn't give me any of the fun I had while watching the show. And the "rebirth" portion was pretty much just a spoiler for EoE, so there's no reason to watch that part at all. It's a good enough recap, but as a movie it's not so great.

I actually have a lot of hope for the movie, in fact it's got me downright excited. I think it will not only be a great opertunity to introduce more people to Evangelion, but also I think it could be a great payoff to people who have been fans for years. Matt Greenfield and Richard Taylor are looking at it with the commitment that the project needs, and I really hope that that commitment results in a good movie.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Szmitten » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:38 am

Like AuthenticM said, it would be ADVs reputation tarnished.

Trowa_Ayanami
Lilith

Postby Trowa_Ayanami » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:21 am

Simple, find out where the director lives and do the same as what Japanese fans did to Anno and write death threats on both letter form and on his wall.
Spike Spiegel: Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I've been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see patches of reality, never the whole picture. I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was over.

The follower of the Shinji/Rei paring

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:04 pm

Trowa_Ayanami wrote:Simple, find out where the director lives and do the same as what Japanese fans did to Anno and write death threats on both letter form and on his wall.

No, we must take it a step further this time. Meet me outside the director's hous...mansion, and blackmail him into giving all the profits he made on the movie back to the fans he/she ripped off.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Themaninblack » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:32 am

One Word

Dune.

Its Adaption Sucked (as did the first Lord of the Rings trilogy). Yet Dune is still highly thought of. Same deal With Eva any pubilicty is good pulblicty.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:18 am

To ADV,

Be advised:
If this mission fails...if we are unsuccessful...we have no future.

(cant remember waht anime i heard this line from...long time ago)

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby poetic_assassin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:17 pm

Well, if they butcher it, they butcher it, There's nothing we can do about it. But hopefully if the original director's of Evangelion have a say in it, maybe they can keep it in line. I'm more worried about it getting lost in The Movie Void.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”