The Gainax Cash Cow, or, Why The F*!& Did I Buy That?!

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Holy Diver » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:26 am

View Original PostXard wrote:I'm afraid real "Eva wine" would be LCL...

Introducing Eva Wine! It tastes like blood! Try it today!
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Someone » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:19 am

Hay, this wine has a picture of a person on it!
....ew, why is it all orange and gooey?
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

Dirty Mick
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Dirty Mick » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:42 am

View Original PostXard wrote:saw this on /a/

[URL=http://img38.imageshack.us/i/1308668006250.jpg/]Image[/URL]

I want it

I'd go jogging in the dead of night wearing that thing zipped all the way up, traffic be damned. :shifty:

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Then I'd better pay my respects now rather then later.

RIP, Dirty Mick :resurrect:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sharaz Destler » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:04 am

"Like the hoodie? It makes me dead when I'm...jogging at night."
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Sarge133
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Sarge133 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:42 am

You can has Angel cake, Asuka, and a Progressive knife, all in the same box!

Anime News Network

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:12 am

You may now acquire black suitcases with the choice of either a Rei or an Eva-06 print.

SPOILER: Show

Although they appear different, the specs for both are the same and cost an impressive 26,040 Yen. You can find articles for them on the Gainax Official Shop Side-Eva site.
Voluntary Illusion.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Just nabbed myself the All's Right With the World doujin (since I received God's In His Heaven from a friend a few years back), as well as the Evangelion & Eva 2 Anthology.

Both look like they'll be hilarious, can't wait. :) (I generally prefer books or CDs/DVDs to figures anyway.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Oh, good Lord. Never has this thread's title been more appropriate for me than now. Here's what I've gotten recently:

First, Groundwork of Evangelion for NME 1.0 and 2.0. The groundwork books in general are easily some of my favorite Eva purchases, and they reliably deliver a lot of bang for the buck. I got these through Amazon JP and got them within two days of purchase. Not too shabby for an international order (shipping was ouchy, but not as bad as I expected).

Next, I got MCE's movie tickets and mini-posters. He threw in a copy of the Japanese version of the first NGE disk as well, which was really cool. I didn't quite know what to expect with these, but they've proven to be a pleasant surprise. They're a bit of history, I suppose.

Finally, I got the CRCs for NME 1.0 and 2.0. This was...painful. Very painful. I could only find them at Amazon JP, but not through the main site -- third party sellers only. Worse, they wouldn't ship out of Japan. Since I don't know anyone in Japan, that left me with one option -- a mail forwarding service.

Here's what you need to know about such services: they often don't give you a choice in shipping options. Also, they don't tell you much about the packages they receive, so if Amazon decides to ship things separately you might not know it beforehand (which means you might miss a chance to consolidate orders, as I did). These two things meant the shipping costs for these books was...ghastly, frankly. I paid more for that than I did for the Groundwork books (including shipping). I would have passed if I'd known, but by the time I'd figured it all out the books were already paid for.

On the upside, the CRCs are absolutely gorgeous. My film clips were nothing special (don't even see the point of those really, as it's not like the movies were shot on film anyway), but the books in general are very cool. I'm glad I have them. Next time, though, I'm getting them as soon as they come out, and I'm getting 'em through Amazon directly instead of a third party. That will make me feel a little less bloodied when all is said and done. :spout:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:59 am

HOT DAMN -- Misato in a Plugsuit! :nosebleed:
http://www.e2046.com/product/11327

And y'all with them girls in risque positions... :nosebleed: :nosebleed: :nosebleed:
(NSFW) http://www.e2046.com/product/14121 (NSFW)

Anyone still in love with Asuka might check out this number:
http://www.e2046.com/product/14198

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:31 am

Those are all on the old-er side, but nice to see them still being sold (or re-sold) in stores. :lol: Misato figures are usually nice, sucks they have to be so rare.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Chroma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:44 pm

Where do you guys buy all this cool (and, admittedly, not as cool) stuff? Online? At expos?

Also, I'd totally buy the wine *coughLCLcough*. Probably the Rei one, then the Unit 01 one.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:38 am

Being new to Evangelion I don’t have that much of a collection (just got into the series back in April) but I must say it is coming along. I have the platinum collection, 1.01 dvd, the 2.22 blu-ray. The mangas I have are volume 12 of Sadamoto’s manga all four volumes of campus apocalypse and volume’s 1-7 of the Shinji Ikari raising project. Now let me tell you a story which happened to me this week. So I go to the chapters web site and find out that one store in my area has all six volumes of angelic days. So naturally I thought “yes I can get my hands on it” but I decide to wait a week before going there. When I get there I find out that the day before someone bought all six volumes!!! (and the store only had one copy of each). So at this point I’m pretty pissed (at myself mostly because I waited a week) I then decide to go to amazon.ca to see if I can get it there. So I find out that they have volumes 1, 2, 5 and 6. Then I become a little more pissed (because I can’t complete the series yet). So I order said volumes. I then go to the movie section of the site and see that they have one copy of Death and rebirth left in stock and I thought yes!!!!! So I go get my credit card to order death and rebirth and the angelic days volumes. When I get back to my computer I find out that someone just ordered that death and rebirth. So I rage for an hour but then calm myself down because I think to myself at least I got the angelic days.

So what do I plan to buy now well........

I need to get a copy of EoE (but that will never happen unless they rerelease it) :asuka_sad:

A copy of 1.11 on blu-ray

A copy of 2.22 on dvd

Angelic days volumes 3 and 4 (if I can even find any copies)

A copy of death and rebirth that won’t be robbed from me :asuka_geh:

Some figures (I have no idea where I am going to get these)

The master grade unit 1 model kit

I must say that I am a huge fan boy of this series (even though I just got in it). I never ever thought that I would ever want figures but I now do (just for this series) hell I even want some plushies. But these last few months have been hard on my wallet but oh well this is my first super fan boy experience so I’ll let it slide (:
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:51 am

Check Amazon (not Amazon.ca, just Amazon). Don't be afraid to buy used. There are currently 8 copies of EoE available used on Amazon for under $40. There are 7 copies of Death and Rebirth available for under $10.

Yes, you'll have to pay extra shipping, but at least you'll have it.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks for the advice Bagheera I will buy EoE used when my wallet recovers a little (I just hope I don’t have another death and rebirth and angelic days incident). Also while I was on amazon.com I looked at other volumes of Sasamoto’s manga and I saw the price of volume 9, 500 dollars!!!!!!!!!! :gendo_kimura: I mean I heard that volume 9 was rare but 500 dollars holy crap that’s expensive (I hope viz reprints the series when it finishes whenever that happens)
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:55 am

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:Thanks for the advice Bagheera I will buy EoE used when my wallet recovers a little (I just hope I don’t have another death and rebirth and angelic days incident). Also while I was on amazon.com I looked at other volumes of Sasamoto’s manga and I saw the price of volume 9, 500 dollars!!!!!!!!!! :gendo_kimura: I mean I heard that volume 9 was rare but 500 dollars holy crap that’s expensive (I hope viz reprints the series when it finishes whenever that happens)

Go here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Volume-9-Yoshiyuki-Sadamoto-/190516717097

Buy quickly.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:32 pm

I just found some Evangelion Dakimakura's while watching this.

xDDDDDDDDDDDD
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

SpearofLonginus
Lilith

Postby SpearofLonginus » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm back after a very long haitus. (Or at least I'll be stopping in over the next few months.)

I haven't gotten anything new Eva-wise except a DX Eva@School Rei who refuses to keep her head on if I even tap her. ^^; But I actually packed all my non-Lance Rei's so I could display my Murkrows for Autumn.

I'm going to Oni-Con at the end of October and if my Fullmetal Alchemist obscession isn't fulfilled, expect a horde of Rei following me home, as per any con I attend. <3>> I still need to get Campus Apocalypse, too...

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Appartenly, Kara has some kind of Lawson (Japanese Supermarket) collaboration going on:
http://www.lawson.co.jp/campaign/static/eva/
If you buy two or more pieces Eva-related merchandise(Eva Carddass masters, in her case), you get an Evangelion clear file for free.
Here´s my Asuka one a Japanese friend gave me, because they were all out of Rei
:lol:

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby svenge » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:16 pm

I finally completed my Japanese pre-Renewal video collection!
I already had the 7 original DVD volumes (KIBA-1 ~ KIBA-7, which had only the NPC versions of 21-24)
as well as the LD and pre-Renewal DVD versions of the movies (KILA-9401/4 + KIBA-105/6)
but now I have the OA versions of Episodes 21-24 with my Genesis 0:X Laserdisc!

In case you're wondering, the 2 LDs on bottom are "Macross: Do You Remember Love?" and "Macross: Flash Back 2012".

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”