Is there a way to apply the Evangelion metaphor to fathers?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Is there a way to apply the Evangelion metaphor to fathers?

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:20 am

I was just entertaining the notion of Evangelions potentially being the vessels for the pilots' fathers' souls, but then I realized that those wouldn't really be Evas anymore. The Oedipal imagery, the entry plug insertion and the womb, are all integral elements, but they'd be kind of inapplicable to the alternative. The problem is that the cockpit is a pretty common feature.

So: how would a paternal equivalent giant robot work? What traits do fathers have that would separate them from Evas?

The best I can come up with is a Tetsujin-style remote-controlled mecha, or something...
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:54 am

They could be piloted manually, most likely having the plug in the head or in a phallus like compartment.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:11 pm

This is a more difficult question than it seems to be at first sight. Oedipal undertones aside, the relationship between mother and child is much more unisex than the father/child one. The intimacy of the mother's womb is something that both sexes "experience" in the same fashion. There is no real analogy for that regarding a child's connection to the father.

So, to get something meanigful out of this would require changing the main character's gender to female, switching Oedipus to Electra, some penetration imagery aroud the way the pilot is connected to the mecha... maybe berseker state should be activated when an enemy tries to snatch away the pilot, tries to take her from the father (the enemies would all give the impression of being masculine in nature, of course) to copulate in some fashion.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:01 pm

They would have to drastically change the show to make it work. Not that it wouldn't be possible or anything.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:They would have to drastically change the show to make it work. Not that it wouldn't be possible or anything.

I'm wondering purely as a thought exercise, not how it would fit into the show.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

pen-pen
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby pen-pen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:45 am

Well, There is that 'absent mother' theme like most of Walt Disney cartoons goin on there...
BOOMZ!

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:44 am

We already have those, they're called predator drones. Nothing emulates a fatherly connection like piloting something from thousands of miles away.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:20 am

make father-evas drink beer for their external source power, and the cockpit has a father and son theme, pilots wear baseball gloves and wears a pair of boxers for pilot suits, then, instead of inserting the plug into the womb, have the father-eva smoke a cigar, and the plug is the cigar, so the pilot gets smoked into the eva...

i'm sewious

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:06 pm

How to make EVAs into fathers? Hmm...

1. Make the EVAs masculine and brawny! (perferably chubby or muscular)

2. Insert them into the stomach instead of the neck (way through a man's heart is through the stomach)

3. They'll go berserk if the child is threatened to be destroyed or taken away from the mech (Papawolf FTW!)

4. Finishing attacks would invole "raping" the enemies using the phallus (cause some men do think with their dicks)
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:43 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:How to make EVAs into fathers? Hmm...

2. Insert them into the stomach instead of the neck (way through a man's heart is through the stomach)

3. They'll go berserk if the child is threatened to be destroyed or taken away from the mech (Papawolf FTW!)

4. Finishing attacks would invole "raping" the enemies using the phallus (cause some men do think with their dicks)

what the fuck, man

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:41 pm

Seems quite strange and interesting.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

merri
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby merri » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:39 pm

That's where you can put the Progressive Knife. :D

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:39 am

I am disappoint. I might understand the first three, but dads aren't (usually) rapists. Come on, now.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Yue
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Yue » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 am

View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:I am disappoint. I might understand the first three, but dads aren't (usually) rapists. Come on, now.

True, but men are supposed to be more sexually aggressive.
When I say you are a monster,
When I set fire to your name,
It does not matter where they hear it from,
Whether truth or lies, it gets said all the same!

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Well, my dad really identifies with Gendo, so I suppose there are ways that Eva can apply to . . . Oh, you meant the bio-mech Eva.

The notion of what a father differs from culture to culture, so first you would need to find out what constitutes an ideal Japanese father and work from there.

View Original PostYue wrote:True, but men are supposed to be more sexually aggressive.

That is a dirty and offensive stereotype. Plain and simple.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 pm

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:That is a dirty and offensive stereotype. Plain and simple.

It would be dirty and offensive to assume someone is sexually aggressive just because they're male. Still, most sexual violence is committed by men, isn't it? Even taking various statistics-bending factors into account, I don't think it's wrong to say that men are generally more sexually aggressive than women.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”