Barrage of "break-up" lines in 26'

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Barrage of "break-up" lines in 26'

•      
  •      

Postby zeaven » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:24 am

Toward the end of 26' (specifically, toward the end of Komm Susser Tod), there is a scene that mixes live shots of flowing water, a swing swinging, and Shinji looking down, along with sounds from Tokyo-3 such as the subway clang and a phone out-of-service sound. In this scene, we hear various lines like "Grow up.", "Why don't you just leave me alone?", "I never loved you", "You wimp." etc.

However, I've committed a grievous sin and have only ever seen the series dubbed (be light with the flaming; I tend to burn easily).

In the dub, all these lines (there are about, oh, 30 of them or so) are voiced by Rei, Asuka, and Misato's VAs. This is in the middle of the Instrumentality scenes, so I'm wondering if these lines are supposed to be Shinji imagining the women in his life rejecting him in various ways, or if they were supposed to be the despairing thoughts of other people in Instrumentality all merging together and ADV was just too cheap to get more voices to change it up.

This is probably a very confusing question, but I think it's an important tidbit. There are only a few times where the other people on Earth not related to the story are even considered when Instrumentality is mentioned. I would get a screencap of the scene I'm talking about, but I don't have the DVDs with me at this time.

Any stabs in the dark would be appreciated.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:53 am

In the Japanese audio track I recall hearing Hikari's voice, but I could be wrong. It's really hard to tell as some of the voices a heard at the same time, and the train sounds in the background are kinda loud. I wouldn't doubt that the intention is the despairing thoughts of all the people in instrumentality, especially given the long munging of random images and splotches and bits of animation in the backgroun when this was happening.

Here's the Japanese track: http://www.tesuji.org/eoe_psycho_hate.mp3

BB's EoE translation wrote:I hate you. I could never like you. Goodbye, and don't call me anymore! Stubborn bastard... I have no intention of going back to you. I'm sorry,
but there's no way we could ever make up now. Idiot - I was only faking it (orgasm). Did you really think that? Honestly, take a good look at who/what you are. We're nothing more than friends. It'd be better if you'd never been born! Bye-bye - and while you at it why don't you just go and die? I wish you weren't here. Who is this child? I don't know this child. It makes no difference whether you are here or not. To put it bluntly, you're a nuisance, and meddlesome to boot. Don't follow me around anymore. It's no good, let's break up. To be honest, you don't just make me uncomfortable -- I hate your type the worst of all. Don't get me wrong... who would ever be with you. Go away! You have nothing to do with my life anymore. I HATE YOU! I don't need you!

I don't think Manga's subs included it all.
Last edited by Ornette on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:04 am

I assumed that it was supposed to be a reflection of Shinji's fear of intimacy. He's terrified of the notion that if he ever gets close to someone they're going to hurt him, and I thought that that scene was supposed to be Shinji going rapid-fire through all the ways he could be hurt by Rei, Asuka, and Misato if he ever tried close to one of them. That's what I took away from that scene at least.

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:42 am

Timstuff wrote:I assumed that it was supposed to be a reflection of Shinji's fear of intimacy. He's terrified of the notion that if he ever gets close to someone they're going to hurt him, and I thought that that scene was supposed to be Shinji going rapid-fire through all the ways he could be hurt by Rei, Asuka, and Misato if he ever tried close to one of them. That's what I took away from that scene at least.

I've always taken all the mind fucks in Instrumentality to be Lilith-Adam-Rei-Thingy's way of getting Shinji to accept Instrumentality. She showed him the worst side of his life (Which is why this scene is worse than anything else thus far, even his Angel induced inner-dialogue inside Leliel) to get him so depressed. By making him hear everyone tell him to die, and by everyone I do mean everyone, she\he\it hoped Shinji would return to favor and yell the same thing back at them, thus having the most important human to the process part of the process. This fails, thanks to Shinji's sense of loneliness inside the Sea of LCL\Black Egg and Kaworu's and Rei's guidance, along with Yui's final words of encouragment. That's why the moment the egg went bang Shinji almost immediatly drifted up-he now wants to live, 'see them again', thanks to this whole thing-whilst everyone else, don't want to, at the very least, yet.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:05 pm

From the outset, having seen the prospectus for Instrumentality from ep#25, I'd assumed that this was "all other parts played by members of the cast" as Shinji is dumped into Sartre's Inferno, as everyone in the world is spilling their pre-existing feelings of bile at their own nearest and dearest, with him (as our proxy) caught in the crossfire.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:39 pm

Ornette wrote:Here's what the NewType Filmbook

There is no such thing.

I don't think ADV's subs included it all.

Manga's.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:45 pm

Reichu wrote:
Ornette wrote:Here's what the NewType Filmbook

There is no such thing.

I don't think ADV's subs included it all.

Manga's.

gah, fixed.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:52 pm

well...the idea is that Shnji runs from pain... and if he had just stayed as the "one being..or god...or sex wit teh Rei...or whatever" he wouldnt haveta deal with pain anymore...

so i think thats sort of showing him the pain hes escaping from...

thats the pain...

theres nothing that more often can result in the most extreme and severe type of emotional and psychological trauma than being rejected by a girl your in love with...

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:13 pm

Yup, that's pretty much what I took from it as well. Shinji's seeing his fears of being hurt emotionally, in the form of hearing his lady friends break up with him. Instrumentality was a temptation for him because it would mean never being hurt like that, and potentially being hurt is why Shinji fears getting close to people.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:18 pm

But then he sees two of the people he seems to have been closest to, both apparently encouraging him to go back to the singular life he once led with words of hope, hope that people like him will learn how to interact without hurting each other.

On a related note, are those supposed to be manifestations of the real Rei and Kaworu, or just another self-projected vision in Shinji's mind? I'm inclined to go with the former, but those scenes are so odd that it's hard to be sure.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:55 am

BobBQ wrote:just another self-projected vision in Shinji's mind?

Are there any parts of Complementation which can be reasonably interpreted as such? After all, we are explicitly told in ep25 what is going on - all minds into one mind.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:08 am

It's a big confusing mess. Why do you think the movie is so controversial? :P

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:18 pm

Um.......that's wrong.
Bochan_bird's translations and translator's note wrote:I hate you. I wouldn't be caught dead with you! Don't get me wrong... Do you really think I could ever like you? You have nothing to do with my life anymore. Get away from me! ... and don't call me anymore! Stubborn bastard... Don't follow me around anymore. Your type makes me sick! I'm sorry... (laughter) We're nothing more than friends. Annoying bastard... Why don't you learn to give up? There's no way I'd ever go back to you. I HATE YOU! Go away! (laughter) It'd be better if you'd never been born. Dammit, get away from me! I hate you! You're a pain in the ass! (laughter)

(Translator's Note: The script printed in the Newtype filmbook differs slightly from the spoken lines as follows:
I hate you. I could never like you. Goodbye, and don't call me anymore! Stubborn bastard... I have no intention of going back to you. I'm sorry, but there's no way we could ever make up now. Idiot - I was only faking it (orgasm). Did you really think that? Honestly, take a good look at who/what you are. We're nothing more than friends. It'd be better if you'd never been born! Bye-bye - and while you at it why don't you just go and die? I wish you weren't here. Who is this child? I don't know this child. It makes no difference whether you are here or not. To put it bluntly, you're a nuisance, and meddlesome to boot. Don't follow me around anymore. It's no good, let's break up. To be honest, you don't just make me uncomfortable -- I hate your type the worst of all. Don't get me wrong... who would ever be with you. Go away! You have nothing to do with my life anymore. I HATE YOU! I don't need you!)

(Asuka's voice:)
Wimp...

I hear Misato's, Rei's(?) and Asuka's voice in that, but that's all.

After this scene occurs, when Misato says her, "You want to become one with me, don't you?" dialouge, is Asuka moaning in the background?? O_o That's what I thought I heard when watching Renewal 26' online, at least.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”