Is Rebuild the aftermath of The End of Evangelion?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Re: Who cares about artistic integrity these days

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:13 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:"Totally wrong" is probably an exaggeration, no matter what the ultimate truth (or ambiguity) turns out to be. Ever see people trying to make sense of certain details in NME by conflating information from both series... even in spite of flagrant contradictions?

Personally in the past I did it unconsciously, after watching the Rebuild I was confused and I took some elements from NGE and considered them canonical in NME as well without even noticing that they were not mentioned (actually there are many *holes* in NME so far that force us to stop any debate for now, 2nd Impact, the origin of Evangelions, cores and souls, PWM and etc.).

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:35 pm

I have not seen NME, but from what I read so far I strongly believe that it would be even better if we do not try to analyze anything in the new movies using anything from the TV series or old movies. They should be treated as standalone works. And if there are holes or unexplained mysteries in NME, then it is up to Anno and his staff to sort it out before the end of NME movie series.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Well, there is a gigantic blood stain on the moon in Rebuild that matches up pretty perfectly for the way the moon gets stained with GNR's blood in EoE, so it's certainly possible. I hesitate to say for one way or the other though. Rebuild could be the sequel to EoE, it could have nothing to do with it, or there could be some massive mind screw explanation that ties every bit of Evangelion fiction together into one of President Polk's daydreams, we just don't know.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:04 pm

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:in Rebuild that matches up pretty perfectly for the way the moon gets stained with GNR's blood in EoE,

It doesn't match up exactly and are on completely opposite sides if you look at the screenshots closely, actually.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:14 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:It doesn't match up exactly and are on completely opposite sides if you look at the screenshots closely, actually.

But last time I checked there weren't blood stains on the moon, and linking it to the one caused by 3rd Impact in EoE is really tempting (together with Kaworu's references to precedent times and events).

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:16 pm

i'd like to think that it's some sort of star trek style reboot, which would make sense for new viewers. i hadn't watched a single episode of star trek before the 2009 movie, and i loved that movie. there may be a lot of things to discredit this, but i'm too lazy to go through old discussions :I
i want rebuild

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:18 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:But last time I checked there weren't blood stains on the moon, and linking it to the one caused by 3rd Impact in EoE is really tempting (together with Kaworu's references to precedent times and events).

Huh? There is blood on the moon in NME's Second Impact world. 1.11, remember?

And well.....

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:27 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Huh? There is blood on the moon in NME's Second Impact world. 1.11, remember?

I was referring to the NME continutiy as whole (the "last time" part was in reference to real world, sorry for the bad joke).
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:And well.....

I've lost that thread... actually I was considering possible as well that it *could* be related to NME's 2nd Impact...
A removed scenes can't be counted as canonical but surely it's a plausible explanation, I wonder if they'll insert it back in the future.
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:11 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:linking it to the one caused by 3rd Impact in EoE is really tempting (together with Kaworu's references to precedent times and events).

This post should be stickied or something. :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 pm

It's not like this issue has never been debated before...
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 am

Whatever the blood stain is or isn't, it's clearly meant to evoke the one in EOE, at least. It's not as if Rebuild's plot demanded that they splatter the moon, they went out of their way to do it. Why is anyone's guess.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:07 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Whatever the blood stain is or isn't, it's clearly meant to evoke the one in EOE, at least.

So...? Lots of other details are clearly meant to evoke things from the original series, regardless of whether the plot demanded it or not.

It's been pointed out many, many times that visual call-backs have a much simpler directorial explanation than substantiating the sequelist conspiracy.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:24 am

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:...there could be some massive mind screw explanation that ties every bit of Evangelion fiction together into one of President Polk's daydreams, we just don't know.

That's a damn lie and you know it! Rutherford B. Hayes is by far the most likely candidate, and if not him it has to be Martin Van Buren...
Last edited by svenge on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:56 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:So...? Lots of other details are clearly meant to evoke things from the original series, regardless of whether the plot demanded it or not.

Name one of those other details please, because I can't think of anything else that has been shoehorned in that isn't an EOE reference. Most callbacks to the original series involve things that are happening in Rebuild's present... that is, event X happened last time, so it's also happening "now". But the EOE references are different. As I've said many, many, many times, I'm not denying that some of these references have other explanations than the "sequelist conspiracy" *. But it also has to be acknowledged that they're going out of their way to put these references in for reasons unknown.

* That's a really odd use of "conspiracy", by the way. Do you think "sequelists" are organizing in secret to misinterpret Rebuild? Do you think they might be... RIGHT BEHIND YOU?

Gone now. But they'll be back. They're always close... watching.

GunmetalSnail429
Embryo

This might shed some light...

•      
  •      

Postby GunmetalSnail429 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:00 pm

I came across this picture awhile back, and it threw me off guard. I have no idea if this is actually going to play a part in 3.0, but you have to agree.... It is certainly interesting.....[url]http://miotd.com/2010/06/10/evangelion-anno-you-clever-bastard/[/url]

Let me know if your reaction was similar to this... :jawdrop:
God's in his Heaven because He's scared of our superior firepower...-Yui Ikari

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Old, Sequel Theory (Why aren't all those merged into some mega-thread?), etc, etc.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:02 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Old, Sequel Theory (Why aren't all those merged into some mega-thread?), etc, etc.

Because it'd be a lot of work? Yeah, anyway the image is old, some points were actually kinda meaningless, the blood stain has been demolished in the post that Reichu linked before, right now we have only Kaworu's statements that could give us some doubts (or hopes, for those that like this theory).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:53 am

Well, here is my arguements against this idea: If it were a sequel, wouldn't Shinji know who Asuka was? And if he did know, wouldn't he be surprised that her last name became Shikinami? Also, wouldn't of Asuka wore an eyepatch when she did show up, considering that, almost literally, a spear went straight through her eye/face?
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: This might shed some light...

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:05 pm

View Original PostGunmetalSnail429 wrote:[url]http://miotd.com/2010/06/10/evangelion-anno-you-clever-bastard/ [/url]

Let me know if your reaction was similar to this... :jawdrop:

The image at the upper left was also in Episode 1 of NGE, minus the red. To suggest that NME is a sequel to NGE because the silhouettes/outlines are the same would also suggest that NGE was a sequel to a yet un-made Evangelion prequel series, where all of this has happened before even Soryu. If fact, jumping from that logic, "Soryu" might be the second name attributed to that character, with "Shikinami" being the third name, as she may have had yet another name in the yet un-made prequel to NGE that NGE suggests through NME sequel logic. Then we would have to ask if Kaworu was doing things in the yet-to-be-made prequels, making the things he did in NGE the second time he had done anything, and in NME a third time, and if he know that's what it is he's doing.

In fact, this opens up all sorts of questions. Shinji's SDAT Player only stops at 26 supposedly because NGE is a 26-episode series. In NME, it continues onto 27 because it's supposedly a "sequel". To continue the trend of things getting longer as the sequels mount, does this mean that the yet-to-be-made prequels series will be only 12-13 episodes in length (the normal length for shorter anime TV series)? If so, would Shinji's SDAT Player only stop at 12/13? And if this was the case, why didn't Shinji think it was weird that his player continued on into tracks 25 and 26 in NGE? Gunbuster was 6 episodes. Does this mean that there will be yet another yet-to-be-made prequel that goes even further back then the original yet-to-be-made prequel that will be only 6 episodes long? If so, will Shinji's SDAT Player mirror this through the track numbers? How many names with Asuka have by then? Will her name even be "Asuka"? Will she even have red hair? What happens when we reach zero? Will there even be anything to watch by that point, or would that finally be the world without Shinji explored in The End of Evangelion? Will it be live-action?

Do I even care? :shrug:

Like I said, let the movies be what we know them to be right now. And if Anno reveals that they're sequels to NGE in the later films, I hope it's presented as a great twist! (Not likely, as it the twist would have been already spoiled by all of this speculation.) If he doesn't make the new films sequels to NGE in the later films, let's hope they're still great movies.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:15 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Well, here is my arguements against this idea: If it were a sequel, wouldn't Shinji know who Asuka was? And if he did know, wouldn't he be surprised that her last name became Shikinami?

It's possible that only one character remembers the precedent events, namely Nagisa Kaworu.
View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The image at the upper left was also in Episode 1 of NGE, minus the red.

Yeah, that's one of the many "meaningless" points that I've mentioned before, you can't build anything on mere omake/references or scenes that have been literally re-sourced from NGE for Rebuild 1.0.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”