Umm.. WOW!

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
max3000
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby max3000 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:13 am

/Pulls out his twin Desert Eagles
Last edited by max3000 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:37 pm

No! Stop it now! The scene is bad joke! It holds no special significance what-so-ever! If people here start dissecting it like it's got some type of hidden meaning I WILL GO ISANE!
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:38 pm

That picture is the reason I love Evangelion.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Xanatose
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xanatose » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:57 am

I've been meaning to mention this before. I noticed this a while back after it was pointed out to me by someone. It's a pretty quick flash in EOE, but no faster than several of the other things that just pop up on screen that are meant to be noticed, so I see no reason to assume this means nothing. It seems overly pessamistic and cynical to assume Anno had no intention behind this scene beyond attempting to "mind fuck" the audience. While I'll agree that Anno tends to enjoy it, that doesn't mean there isn't a method to his madness.

The view that he made EOE as desturbing as he did just to get revenge from unappreciative fans is mostly an old view held over from the initial release. It seemed that people couldn't accept an unhappy ending, even though it was later revealed by others involved that it was a mutual decision of the production team. I've read entire essays penned on the premise that the movie should have been happy, but that Anno is sick and twisted, and hell bent on revenge, he hijacked the climax and turned it against those who didn't appreciate the final episodes of the series. Oh the horror! :wink:

I say it's time to let go of the negativity toward the director and accept EOE as what it is -- a desturbing movie about desturbing topics. That said, I'm sure this scene must mean something, but damned if I know what. :roll:

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:24 am

Oh god, I guess people will come up with all kinds of bogus theories because of this. Like "Shinji is a clone of Rei!!!!1!!1!11111" and shit like that.

NeonZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NeonZ » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:57 am

The Dummy plugs are empty, souless, shells, right?

In EoE, it's stated that your mind can shape your form, but you need an AT field to keep that form(but the dummy plugs obviously don't need one)... so, maybe, the form of the entry plugs is completely controlled by their mind, which is copied from Rei's.

Maybe, when they saw Shinji, who had made strong impressions on Rei, they began to focus on him, changing their shape.

Yes, it's weird how this wasn't shown in the series, only in a flashback. I may be completely wrong...

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:18 am

First off I would like to say that EoE, IMHO, is in fact a happy ending--just not the puppy dogs and ice cream happy that many have become accostomed to :)

Second, as to the breasted Shinjis--if this in fact is happening while Rei is merging the souls than it may just have been an attempt by Anno to represent how people were loosing their seperate forms. Rei and Shinji were begining to merge into one. It is somewhat like when he and Rei are sitting in the pool of LCL and their lower halves are merged together. It seems to me this was just another way for Anno to represent the dissolution of atomistic bodies during instrumentality....but I could be wrong ;)
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:33 am

coff wrote:Oh god, I guess people will come up with all kinds of bogus theories because of this. Like "Shinji is a clone of Rei!!!!1!!1!11111" and shit like that.

no, Rei was part Lilith. Lilith could be anyone as we saw in EoE with her looking like Kaworu. Rei loved Shinji as such she wanted to be with him. well...i think you can piece and patch from there
a man within the trap of one sided love is a man torn beyond his imagination.
-----------
Reason = Virtue = Happiness

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:08 am

bp32 wrote:Second, as to the breasted Shinjis--if this in fact is happening while Rei is merging the souls than it may just have been an attempt by Anno to represent how people were loosing their seperate forms. Rei and Shinji were begining to merge into one. It is somewhat like when he and Rei are sitting in the pool of LCL and their lower halves are merged together. It seems to me this was just another way for Anno to represent the dissolution of atomistic bodies during instrumentality....but I could be wrong ;)

I like that theory. I'd agree with that and I also like ShoKenju's idea too.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:27 pm

:eyes glow: Cripes...I can...feel my...sanity slowly breaking...going BERSERK!!!!!!:let's out a roar, then gets down on all fours. Karma Burn proceeds to tackle the nearest passer-by and begins to devour his/her heart in order to gain the power of an S^2 organ!:
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:56 pm

Theri are to many people looking at every fram of this anime already. People please just watch it and enjoy it or don't. Going over every fram will not spell out the plot or make the meaning any clearer.

DD

" It is better to let somthing that has finished end"
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:40 pm

As soon as you think you have it all figured out...

In EoE, Shinji was more or less insane during the time that scene happened, and it was all in his mind's eye. During those moments, Rei actually appeared to him in many forms (Such as the many Rei clones being reminiscent of sperm). I think the question is what Rei represented to him, while bearing his own face.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:33 pm

Never fails. Here come the explanations. Never goddamn fails, does it?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:52 pm

:!BERSERK!: Cripes on toast! You people are presistent! There is no explanation for this scene! The explanation is in your imagination...it doesn't exist! You precieve that there is an story based explanation but there isn't!

It's a joke! It's Anno's joke for his fans to analyze and pick apart in some hope of finding a shread of truth or another venue to deepen the story with! But it's already deep! Cripes, it's so deep no one except Anno himself will ever truely see the bottom of it!

We can only see what we think there is! That's the magic of it all! The meaning is what you make of it. That is Anno's joke! And ya know what, it's getting pretty funny! :!BERSERK! Goes back to devouring the S^2 organ...munch munch munch munch:

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:07 pm

Karma Burn wrote:We can only see what we think there is! That's the magic of it all! The meaning is what you make of it.

Which is exactly what I'm doing, so I'm not quite sure I see what your point is.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

kosure
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:37 pm

Shinji is a pretty pessimistic guy, to say the least. This might just be a visual representation of what hes feeling. The hes feeling like hes just an empty vessel, that he has nothing good to contribute.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

calm down, karma burn, it's okay buddy...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:43 pm

...This might just be a visual representation of what hes feeling. The hes feeling like hes just an empty vessel, that he has nothing good to contribute.

...Either that or he sees himself as a hot chick (shivers) don't want to get into that.

This is just one of several WTF! moments that crop up throughout Evangelion. They don't in themselves hold many answers but bring up some questions you might not have thought before.

True it is a mind game Anno is playing with us, but it's okay Karma burn, some people like to play these mind games into infinity.

I myself am not sure what the image means, I'll have to think about it. But whatever answer you come up with will have to suffice. There is no definate answer here.

Which is why I love Eva so much.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:40 am

I noticed that a long time ago. Still, it is quite bizarre.
I can only take so much retarded.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:05 pm

:x ...Why do I even try...you people are analyzing a joke as if its some integral part of the story. It's Anno's little joke for his die-hard fans who love to analyze every part of eva. And you've fallen for it. Anyways, I'm done reasoning and I'm just moving on to ignoring.

Xanatose
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xanatose » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:16 pm

Karma Burn -- or should I call you Captain Kill Joy? -- there's no reason to get upset just because some people like to analize this show. That's why this forum exists, and what this particular forum section is about: "Evangelion Discussion"

In actuality, I agree with you. This scene may not have any special significance in the sense that some may assume. That is, it may not have a specific meaning, but rather it may be open to a variety of interpretations that make multiple theories regarding it perfectly valid. In that sense, it makes perfect sense for people to analize it, because they may well find an answer that does suit them individually.

The members of this forum are free to pick apart every angle and screen shot to their heart's content, because that's part of what the show is about. It was made to be ambigious to a degree; allowing the audiance to analize it on their own time, making the show somewhat interactive. This is not to say that the production team, or Anno himself, are purposely playing "jokes" on the viewers. Rather, they are inviting us to formulate our own ideas regarding the show and its messages. We are hardly "falling" for anything. Rather, the members who have been a part of this thread are agreeing to take part in the dialogue which this series kicked off.

But anyway, I'm glad your moving on, as all this pent up frustration can't be good for you, or this forum. Now I'm not like Evamonkey (I don't close threads quite so quickly :wink: ), so this thread is going to stay open for those who want to keep discussing that shot in EOE.

Here's wishing luck to them. Maybe they'll find individual answers that they can feel confident in -- or, barring that -- at least maybe they'll come to a state of contentment.

It's a Zen thing. Finding the answer may not be as important as the process you experince while contemplating the question. In a way, NGE is a Zen experince. Damn you, Anno. :roll:

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”