Evangelion:DEATH(true)²: Komm Susser Tod screenshot

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Evangelion:DEATH(true)²: Komm Susser Tod screenshot

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 pm

In http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/oldeva/1999-February/025652.html , Jamieson writes:

I've been investigating this for a while now. I've been pretty sure
that this scene was a direct result of Shinji's complementation and
therefore never occured in reality. However, last night, I made a
startling discovery. While watching "Evangelion:DEATH(true)²" (as I
religously do, ya know :P) I noticed something very disturbing during
the scene where Shinji first meets Kaworu on the beach. There is a very
quick cut of Asuka flashed and looking at it now I am positive it is a
view of Asuka from Shinji's perspective in the coffee-pot scene.
The cut is of the camera looking down upon Asuka, sitting at the dinner
table- head in hands- from her left. This would be exactly how Shinji
would have seen her in the EoE scene. The whole thing seems very
peculiar to me, though.

I don't think I have a copy of (true) to look through for the cut, and the screenshots generated for the Commentary project are all of the TV series of course. Does anyone have a screencap of this? (Or can confirm this?)

Viking
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Viking » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:58 pm

I can confirm. I'm going to sleep ( at least four hours ) so I'm not gonna post any image, but there are two shots.
The first one seems to be one of Misato, while the second is for sure of Asuka.
The two shots together last less than a second...

Bye
俺は素人でもない。スペシャリストだ![ フルメタル

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:13 pm

It's supposed to be Asuka after the "Kaji's dead" scene which was also included in DC24 after being in Death.

Asuka during "Kaji's dead": (Also in Episode DC24'. And speaking of, this DC scene also includes the knocked over coffee pot from EoE.)

Then a few shots later when Shinji's at the lake before meeting Kaworu, we get:

Misato mourning Kaji:

Asuka mourning Kaji: (Which is one of the many "twisted retakes" EoE's Pre-Instrumentality and Instrumentality proper alludes to. Another being the Episode 15 kiss scene.)

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:11 pm

:( Not seeing their faces makes them look even more sad.

Also: :gasp: Wow, this is my first time seeing these! Almost 10 years after first seeing the product. Always something new turning up every week or so, when I hang around here. :grin: Thanks for these, of course.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:25 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:It's supposed to be Asuka after the "Kaji's dead" scene which was also included in DC24 after being in Death.

Really? Her clothes are different, and I have a hard time imagining her changing after hearing of it. I kind of figured she left the house pretty soon after that confrontation instead of just sitting around.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:07 am

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:Really? Her clothes are different

I mentioned that her clothes were different, but I guess I edited that out of my post when first writing it. "Kaji's dead" (Asuka slaps Shinji (slap in DC24' and Death, gunshot in Mangle *facepalm* ), Shinji tells Asuka what happened, depending on DC or Death, we see the EoE coffee pot, Asuka looks stunned.) is when she finds out the news, yes, but I thought it was obvious that Asuka mourning is at a different/later point in time.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks for the screenshots, SSD.

You both make good points; I'm inclining to the idea that the scene is in fact in Instrumentality, and the mingling of various scene's clothes and cinematography is intended to bring together the multiple scenes into a single gestalt piece.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:14 pm

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:Really? Her clothes are different, and I have a hard time imagining her changing after hearing of it. I kind of figured she left the house pretty soon after that confrontation instead of just sitting around.

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:28 pm

You know, it just occurred to me why the clothes in the Roman bath scene made me take it as a suicide scene - it seemed exactly like the stereotypical jump-off-the-roof scene where the jumper has carefully taken off their shoes and neatly arranged them on the roof. (And I seem to recall reading of the suicide wood by Mt. Fuji that the taking off shoes is also standard for hangings and the like.)

Also: good point about the clothes. We see her mourning in real life in one set of clothes, she has another set of clothes at her bath, so regardless of whether the later scene is a true memory or Instrumentality encounter, she did change clothes.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”