[Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Cases

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:53 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:How do you look at the game's text with a text editor? (Should I feel stupid for asking?)

Not really, it's a little tricky, especially on western OS without shift_jis as native 8 bit coding.
The PSP version has the the texts located under:
PSP_GAME\USRDIR\free\
there are two .bin files in this directory, f2info.bin contains the Classified Informations that you've translated in the past (I suppose that it would have been much easier to access them like this) and f2tuto.bin which contains some dialogues, presumably the tutorial of the game (I think that there was something like a tutorial in Shinji'1st scenario but I don't remember that well).
The main events are located in:
PSP_GAME\USRDIR\game\imtext.bin
While the game interface is located in:
PSP_GAME\USRDIR\btl\btimtext.bin
Weirdly it doesn't look like the locations (that danxviii translated in his demo) are in this file and I can't find them right now (they're surely hidden somewhere).
I didn't mess around with the PS2 version (actually I still have to check it out, I don't have a PS2).
Obviously you should either grab an ISO somewhere or rip it from your UMD, after that you should mount the ISO like a normal CD with DaemonTool or a similar image drive.
To read the text you need a text or hex editor that can switch to shift_jis encoding, I use Notepad++ as text editor (it's freeware) and 010 Editor as hex editor (this one is shareware, maybe there are freeware alternatives).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:51 pm

That all sounds quite complicated... I mean, I'm sure I could eventually figure it out, but it sure would be a time-saver (for me, not for you :tongue: ) if you could upload the texts somewhere.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:48 am

Maybe it sounds complicated because I'm not good at explaining things.
Anyway I've converted the files to UTF-8, like this they can't be used to hack the game but you can read them with basically any text reader. There are invalid characters (those files don't contain just the text, there are also other hex values, probably headers of some kind, maybe they should be modified when inserting back the text, to fix texts' length or similar issues) in the text and you can't understand who says what to whom so I don't know if it's useful for your purposes.
http://www.mediafire.com/?whyzz6yu9z4v9p8
For some reason Window's notepad doesn't read correctly btimtext.txt, it opens fine with Firefox (...) and Notepad++.

Anyway, I've already it asked in the past, but I'd like to ask it once again: does anyone know if there are some requirements for Kaworu's apparition in Asuka's scenario? I've played her scenario 4 times and I still didn't obtain the good ending, I suppose that Kaworu is really a requirement like SSD mentioned time ago (the funny thing is that he appeared during my playthroughs with Touji and Rei and I don't remember doing anything special).
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:39 am

Shinchan: The link you provided is for A2000A subtitles. :bigeyes:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:54 pm

UPDATE:
I've found a quite interesting page: http://homepage3.nifty.com/mana/eva2.html
The events conditions contained in this site are especially interesting, there's also the "Kaworu's appearance" one that I've been searching but I can't understand it, it says "悲嘆" (grief, sorrow) which is probably the moral of the character (this is an important hint) and then it says "エヴァパイロットが一名でも健在" which doesn't make much sense for me.
Another nice page of that site is this one, it looks like it's the transcript of the entire Asuka's playthrough (with the good ending).
Even if the site is in Japanese it looks quite interesting in my opinion (for those interested in playing the game), maybe we could add it in the link section of NGE2's wiki page.

OLD POST:
-------------
View Original PostReichu wrote:Shinchan: The link you provided is for A2000A subtitles. :bigeyes:

My mystake, here you go.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:39 pm

"エヴァパイロットが一名でも健在" is probably "at least one of the Eva pilots (must be) in good health". I have yet to play Asuka's PSP scenario myself, so I can't comment further at the moment.

Thanks for the files! I'll let you know how it goes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:58 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Thanks for the files! I'll let you know how it goes.

You're most welcome, I hope that they can be of some use.
View Original PostReichu wrote:"エヴァパイロットが一名でも健在" is probably "at least one of the Eva pilots (must be) in good health". I have yet to play Asuka's PSP scenario myself, so I can't comment further at the moment.

Thanks for the translation. Do you have any idea about the functioning of the moral system (weirdly called Anno AI or something like that)? To get her in that moral condition should I try to be grumpy with other characters, or maybe should I try to get her a little beaten-up in some battle? Well, I could simply use the good old "try and learn" system, I'm asking just in case you know something about it (I've tried searching infos in that site but I couldn't find anything useful for now).
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:59 pm

What I read about "Anno A.I." sounded extremely complicated... I only have the vaguest notions about it (like, what you do what during a particular episode will determine the "A.I" for the next episode and which events will happen, or something... and the title cards and music numbers that play at the start of the episode apparently have something to do with the A.I. you got), and I really have to do more research on it at some point.

Once I finish the current scenario I'm doing (Angel Attack), I'll take a look at Asuka. If you haven't solved your problem by then, I'll help out.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:29 pm

Sounds good, thanks a lot for your help, and everything else related to NGE2 that you've contributed in the last years, I really appreciate it.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:32 pm

I think I found a page that had Asuka's PSP-Eva2 events a few months back, though I thought it was a different website. Huh. (Maybe it was the exact same site, but I could have sworn it looked different!)

Thanks a lot for the text files! It'll be helpful with translating any random Free Turn/Battle scenes! (So much dialogue, waugh~) That reminds me, I think this thread has neglected translations of mine...I should comb through it sometime.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:26 pm

It looks like the atwiki's FAQ that I've posted time ago contains the conditions required to set the various Anno A.I., the one needed for Kaworu apparently requires hospitalisation and the destruction of Neo Tokyo 3, there's also some requirements regarding the AT but I can't really understand it.
落胆:A.T.30未満で時間経過(1時間につき6点)
    A.T.40未満で時間経過(1時間につき3点)
    入院中の人物がいる(残り入院日数×10点)
    第三新東京市の破壊度(そのまま加算)
    渚カヲル登場イベントが発生していない(話数×5点)

Other interesting infos are contained in this page but I still didn't check it well (anyway it looks like there's some contents that I've not seen anywhere else, for example there's a list of the title cards or "subtitles" like they're called in that page).
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:40 pm

For Kaworu arriving, you mean? I'm pretty sure that several times in my games, Kaworu arrived with Tokyo-3 being mostly fine and/or not always with a pilot in the hospital. Interesting....
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:46 am

UPDATE:
I've obtained the "Kaworu arrives" event with Asuka!
Anyway I'm not sure about the requirements, I left Asuka to "Arael's cure" (I didn't try to beat the impulse test at all), after that her A.T. was down to 20 (more or less) then I've said to Misato that she wanted to give up being a pilot but obviously I've allowed her to return when the Angel attacked and after that I got Kaworu's event.
I seriously doubt that escaping from Nerv is a requirement (SSD probably could confirm it) but I couldn't obtain the event after Arael's battle and actually getting totally owned by Arael couldn't be necessary as well (do you remember this part, SSD?). So I'm basically clueless regarding the requirements.
Anyway getting Asuka and everyone else back on track is really hard, after two battles things are almost normal but I still can't raise my AT over 60.
I'm wondering one thing: isn't it possible that those pages are referring to the PS2 version? The "Anno AI" status don't match as far as I can tell.
OLD POST:
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:For Kaworu arriving, you mean? I'm pretty sure that several times in my games, Kaworu arrived with Tokyo-3 being mostly fine and/or not always with a pilot in the hospital. Interesting....

Yeah, it's for Kaworu arriving. Actually I was remembering as well that Kaworu arrived with Neo Tokyo 3 still in one piece (at least Misato's home was still intact) but I've removed the comment from the post because I wasn't sure about it (while I have no idea about the hospital, I simply can't remember it). I wonder if the requirements are correct, it says "Dai san shin Tōkyō-shi no hakai-do" which really sounds like "Neo Tokyo 3's destruction" but I don't understand that "(sonomama kasan)", is it simply a "just added" comment?
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:40 am

Hyper Shinchan:

The Anno A.I. stuff above looks like some kind of 'point system'. I did a quick and cheap translation for fun.

Rakuten [Discouragement]:
Time passing when you're less than AT 30 (# of hours x 6 points)
Time passing when you're less than AT 40 (# of hours x 3 points)
Character in the hospital (Remaining days in hospital x 10 points)
Extent of Tokyo-3's destruction (Add on whatever it is)*
Kaworu Nagisa hasn't shown up yet (Current episode number x 5 points)

[* They probably elaborate upon this somewhere.]

Where it's describing how the points system works, it seems to say the following:
- When the points you've accumulated surpass 60, the corresponding mode will be executed in the following episode.
- The selected mode will halve the points you've accumulated in the next episode. [When you reach the next episode, all of the points you have so far will be reduced by half?]
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks a lot for the translation, Reichu. But maybe the Anno A.I. has been modified (like I mentioned before the names apparently don't match and anyway Kaworu didn't work like that, I've obtained him without changing the Anno A.I.) in Another Cases.
BTW, it's possible to change the Anno A.I. during a chapter or at least this is valid for the *romance* (I guess) one in Another Cases (this was something that I've already noticed in the past).

Anyway I've finished Asuka's scenario some days ago, it was exactly like I was suspecting, Kaworu's appearance (and possibly survival) is a requirement just like SSD said.
Actually the "all the Angels have been defeated, what should I do now, Mama?" line, mentioned by SSD in her old post, is said after Kaworu's battle, in my case he wasn't the last Angel and so Asuka was technically wrong (this was quite funny, I thought that I was going to fight the Eva Series but instead Sahaquiel appeared).
I've also obtained Kaworu fighting against the Eva Series (because Shinji was injured when he convinced Kaworu), I thought that it wasn't possible (anyway it's not a big deal, he just says one line when the JA Kai is activated).

goodlyoak
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby goodlyoak » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 am

I just got the game and i was wondering how do you get money with Shinji because i want to buy the unbreakable heart. Also since for some stupid reason Rei is forbidden from going to the store is there a way for her to get the special items or is money for Rei completely useless. Thanks!

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:39 am

View Original Postgoodlyoak wrote:I just got the game and i was wondering how do you get money with Shinji because i want to buy the unbreakable heart. Also since for some stupid reason Rei is forbidden from going to the store is there a way for her to get the special items or is money for Rei completely useless. Thanks!

The "unbreakable heart" isn't available since the beginning unless you've copied on your MS someone else's system save (I think there's one on Gamefaqs); Shinji doesn't get money automatically, you must ask for money to Misato after each battle, usually there'll be a special command when talking to Misato at home, use it and she'll give you some pocket money (it's really rare but sometimes she'll say "no money" in Engrish after blabbering something else). The same is valid for Asuka.

Rei, Kaworu and other characters (I don't remember exactly which ones, I'm quite sure that Kaji can't access it as well) can't access the store, you simply have to be careful with the impulse commands. They can use their money to purchase canned coffee, juice and the likes from the vending machines.

goodlyoak
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby goodlyoak » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:10 am

Thanks Hyper Shinchan I just beat the eva series in Shinji's story (which took about an hour) and Rei's story but for some weird reason I did not get the good ending on Rei's story. I did everything the walkthrough said and got to pick between two choices, but when Rei rejects Gendo i just get the regular End of Eva ending any ideas on what i did wrong.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:06 am

The walkthrough says:
Note: It seems like this method doesn't guarantee getting the good ending,
maybe there are certain random factors involved. (Thanks to KYG from GameFAQs
forum for warning me about it. Some research needs to be done.)

I'm not sure about this additional requirement, I didn't have any problem with Rei scenario and I've completed it at the first attempt quite some time ago; I've only one doubt: did you fight against Leliel during your Rei playthrough? Rei's event is somehow special (since obviously she doesn't have the usual "Mother's apparition", it was mentioned time ago in this thread, "Lilith" appears to tell her that she must obtain Adam's Fruit of Life), maybe it could be related to her good ending but if you had this battle then I'm pretty much clueless.

goodlyoak
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby goodlyoak » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:32 am

Unfortunately for me I fought with Leliel. Hmm... oh is it possible to have Rei self-destruct herself when you fight Armisael. Perhaps I have to be Rei III in order to get the good ending. Though it doesn't really matter because I'll have to start Rei's story all over. Guess I'll play with Asuka I think her story is 100% guaranteed to work. Although I don't really like Asuka. (sigh)

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”