New Gundam Series Announced

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:29 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:The twist is that, as I mentioned in my previous post, this time it seems that it was not Bandai Namco who asked for a new show. All they asked is a new game, but the game-maker wanted a show to go with the game, hence the new show.

yeah I saw that. Still, it's telling they already have toy prototypes ready in such swarms (neither Macross or Eva has nothing on this scale pre-launch these mere prototypes show - Gunpla is huge biz and IIRC consists of 70-90% of Japan's yearly plamo sales so it's BIG).

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:First time I'm hearing of this.

Wut. This is common lore. Even wikipedia mentions it
Gundam was not popular when it first aired, and was in fact cancelled before the series was intended to end. The series was originally set to run for 52 episodes and was cut down to 39 by the show's sponsors, which included the original toymakers for the series. However, the staff was able to negotiate a one month extension to end the series with 43 episodes.

When Bandai received the licensing to the show's mecha, however, things changed completely. With the introduction of their line of Gundam models, the popularity of the show began to soar. The models sold very well, and the show began to do very well in reruns and even better in its theatrical compilation. Audiences were expecting another giant robot show, and instead found MS Gundam, the first work of anime in an entirely new genre, the mecha drama or the 'real robot' genre as opposed to the 'super robot' genre.

Bandai and other toy firms used to have huge grip of control over anime world (which also explains why most old mecha anime are little more than glorified toy commercials and thus not much different from Pokemon) though during late-90s record business took over as main sponsors.

This is why Anno designed EVAs the way they were designed, he wanted to create mechas that would be impossible to turn into succesful toys and thus he hoped to get free from control toy firms imposed upon his creativity. He was succesful as no one believed Eva toys could be a hit and thus toy makers did not have any notable "executive meddling" with original Eva. With Gundam it's occasionally painfully obvious the random enemy mecha of the week was thrown in only to boost toy sales.

It used to be completely normal for Bandai or some other company coming up with new robot toys and then get anime made simply to market them - this holds true for Gundam franchise too to quite the extent. It's not really any different from shows like Bakugan being made for kids to buy toys or some late-night fanservice show made to sell dakimakuras to otaku. Simple business.

Anno had this to say about it back in the day

"At the planning stage, director Hideaki Anno is reported to have said, "With recent robot anime series there have been too many instances of toy makers sticking their big noses in from the design stage so they can get a spec that is easy to turn into a toy. I don't want any interference from toy makers, so I'm going to design a robot that just cannot be turned into a toy."

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:This is also news to me.

Well for some reason I'm not surprised :hohum:

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:44 pm

which also explains why most old mecha anime are little more than glorified toy commercials and thus not much different from Pokemon

How does a series/movie not made by Disney possibly resemble a toy add?
With Gundam it's occasionally painfully obvious the random enemy mecha of the week was thrown in only to boost toy sales.

I surely never knew this.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:15 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:How does a series/movie not made by Disney possibly resemble a toy add?

Since when has Disney had patent to really lucrative business model? :lol:

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I surely never knew this.

Making money out of toy sales is probably the biggest reason ever for making any robot anime. Again, this shouldn't be surprising or weird to you

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:42 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:First time I'm hearing of this.

Actually, it isn't.

But yeah. Gundam, selling toys? Preposterous!

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:01 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:But yeah. Gundam, selling toys? Preposterous!

holy shit that place that appears around 1:00 with WALLS OF GUNPLA EVERYWHERE is a place I visited in Akihabara. The really funny thing is that it's sixth floor of this huge electronics shop that is basically Japanese Gigantti on steroids - other floors are filled with cameras, computers etc. but even in such "normal" shop the final floor is nothing but otaku stuff - ESPECIALLY plamos.

And out of plamos: ESPECIALLY GUNPLA

I took a picture of that "wall of Gunpla" because it was such a staggering sight. :lol:

That wasn't the most incredible place where I saw Gunpla crop up though. When I went to Zojo-Ji Temple there was this merchant alley with dozens of small boutiques that sold typical tourist haberdashery, clothes, food, sweets etc.

...and then there was a toy shop. I look in and behold, it's bloody Gunpla everywhere with few Yamato models thrown in :rofl:

In Japan you can't escape Gunpla even if you'd like to :lol:

TDSA, if you want concrete example of toy makers sticking their noses in mecha anime you don't need to look further than design of RX-78 Gundam. Tomino wanted it to be grey-whiteish (sounds a lot like Gundam Unicorn huh?) but in order to draw attention among super robot shows and be more attractive to children buying toys the bright, cartoony colour scheme of blue red and white replaced the original plans.

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:14 pm

sounds a lot like Gundam Unicorn huh?

No, Unicorn sounds more like off white with red lines (especially in Destroy Mode).
in order to draw attention among super robot shows and be more attractive to children buying toys the bright, cartoony colour scheme of blue red and white replaced the original plans.

Okay, I really want some actual evidence of this happening.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:23 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:No, Unicorn sounds more like off white with red lines (especially in Destroy Mode).

I didn't say Unicorn is identical :rolleyes:

Many people have said that Unicorn's colour scheme was inspired by initial RX-78 Gundam though. It would make sense certainly, because that's what I first thought when I saw Unicorn.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Okay, I really want some actual evidence of this happening.

There's this magical thing called Google.

Anyway, have you ever wondered why RX-78 is called White Devil in series by villains despite the fact it's mixture of blue, red and white? It should be pretty good hint - especially since Tomino's novelization of Mobile Suit Gundam retains the original gray-white colour scheme (which in turn explains why it is called White Devil!).

At any rate, way to focus on inconsequential.

This post is pretty good too :lol:

Not to go too far off topic, but I don't see how your friend could make that argument with a straight face. Point out to him that EVERY Gundam anime ever is made to sell toys. You think Bandai cares about continuing the story of the UC timeline? Unicorn already had model kits when it was still a novel. Given how they're trotting out every old suit from Z, ZZ and CCA they can find and making a model kit out of it, yes, Unicorn is just as much a commercial as AGE. Just because Unicorn has a "serious" story and atmosphere doesn't make it any less a toy commercial than something blatantly targeted at kids.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:31 pm

This is why RX-78-2 got its colours.

Tomino actually wanted it to be grey, but the grey colour scheme got relegated to the RX-78-3. This is from the Gundam wiki:

"The RX-78-3 Gundam is the closest to Yoshiyuki Tomino's conception of the Gundam. As he wanted to stress that it was a true military machine, a weapon of war a "real robot", he originally wanted it's entire color scheme to be dull and greyish, however Bandai had concerns that this would limit it's appeal to children and marketability as a toy, hence the final version in series follows the color scheme of the RX-78-2 rather than the RX-78-3."

Tomino does get his way with the enemy mobile suits though. Hence why they have more military colours, apart from Char's, of course.

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 pm

So THAT is why G-3 Gundam exists, interesting.
Anyway, have you ever wondered why RX-78 is called White Devil in series by villains despite the fact it's mixture of blue, red and white?

The same reason the Zondarians in GaoGaiGar keep calling it the "Black Robot", it's the color used the most or something.

I still don't see how these can be commercials though, they don't mention a price tag or where to buy them or anything.

Edit: How does this qualify as trolling? Now I'm confused.
Last edited by Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:59 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:So THAT is why G-3 Gundam exists, interesting.

The same reason the Zondarians in GaoGaiGar keep calling it the "Black Robot", it's the color used the most or something.

I still don't see how these can be commercials though, they don't mention a price tag or where to buy them or anything.

*sigh*

The reason just came up :rolleyes:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:49 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I still don't see how these can be commercials though, they don't mention a price tag or where to buy them or anything.

viewtopic.php?p=433501#433501

Stop playing the "I'm so stupid to understand anything" card. You are now trolling. If you want to keep pretending to be retarded, things are going to get messy.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:32 pm

even the figures released are being geared towards the younger audience, the 1/100s all have some gimmick that ties with a haro, the digivice phone looking thing, and an arcade machine, while the 1/144s are meant to be assembled without tools. the only traditional-build models are the 1/144 HG and 1/48 age-1 and apparently a master grade.

i don't like the looks of it, but apparently many weren't too keen on 00 when it was first announced (second season wasn't that great but first season was pretty good) so i guess i'll keep up with it for a few episodes to see if it's good.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:How does a series/movie not made by Disney possibly resemble a toy add?

transformers is probably the best example for an entire franchise created for the sole purpose of selling toys.
i want rebuild

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:52 am

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:transformers is probably the best example for an entire franchise created for the sole purpose of selling toys.

...While also being, at least in the case of Beast Wars, incredibly good despite such seemingly cynical origins. (I think this is what TVTropes would call a case of Tropes Are Not Bad... not that being toy-based is actually a trope, but apparently to TVTropes absolutely every pattern of reality that is repeated at least one other time counts as a "trope".)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:33 am

More Gundam Age plamo (plastic model)

There are even gachapon models in the exhibition

You can even buy parts of a Gundam !!

I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:07 am

Tomino wanted the original Gundam to be more gray...

Unfortunately, you can count me among those who was drawn in by the more colorful option. Sometimes, execs know what they're talking about. Luckily color choices are one of those incredibly minor things.

I say this because that red, blue, yellow, and white Gundam looks very attractive. Even if I don't ever watch the show, I just might buy the toy.

But nothing will ever take the place of SHINING FINGERRR.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 am

Eh I'd like to buy the model kits, but not the toys, then have them up on a shelf where I would put any model. :tongue:

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:50 am

i don't think ANY of the 1/100s are models, it's a modular system where you buy the core/normal age-1, then buy the limbs for the other ones at ¥1200 for a set of arms and ¥1300 for a set of legs, while the usually spectacular hg kits go around ¥1500 each.
i want rebuild

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:25 pm

Personally, Gundam would've appealed to me more had the RX-78 been mottled camo/pure black...
But the models...assembling without tools? Are the components...PRE- COLORED????
What has all that Gunpla Builder Beginning G taught the next generation gone to???

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:22 pm

I think the 1/100s are just some sort of buildable action figures. Supposedly they have some sort of scanable chip with them for use in some sort of video game.

There was a 1/144 HG of the basic Gundam on display at the show too. It looked pretty good, much better than its animated incarnation to be honest. I might pick up one of those and an HG of that sexy enemy grunt suit. I can't say I care for the color scheme on that one though. It'd look much better either in all-black or Zaku green.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Gundam the Origin to be adapated to anime

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:50 am

Hardcore Gundam fans, particularly those who loathe the new Gundam Age, your prayers may have been answered !!!

Summary from 2ch:

月刊ガンダムエース2011年8月号
ガンダム・ジ・オリジン完結。
Monthly Gundam Ace 2011 August issue
End of Gundam the Origin

そしてアニメ化発表!
制作はサンライズです!
And then announcement of anime adaptation
Production will be by Sunrise !

■機動戦士ガンダムTHE ORIGIN
アニメ化プロジェクト始動
巻頭の折込ピンナップで告知。
Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin
Anime adaptation project started
Announced at the folded pin-up at the beginning of the magazine

安彦さんとサンライズ・内田社長のロングインタビュー掲載。
there are long interviews of Yasuhiko and Uchida, head of Sunrise

○安彦さん
映像化によって、僕が提出した「最初のガンダム」は
「新しいスタンダード」になることでしょう。
それは今後長い間これからの世代を含む多くの人に愛されるはずです。
この巨きな仕事を担ってくださる方々に感謝し
期待を込めてエールを送ります。
Yasuhiko -
By way of adapting it into anime, I hope the "very first Gundam" I proposed will become "the new standard".
This should be something that henceforth be long loved by many people including the coming generations.
I would like to express my thanks to everybody who is shouldering this huge task.
I send out my support call filled with anticipations.

○内田社長
漫画という第一走者からアニメという第二走者が預かるバトンの大切さを
自覚し、その重責を担う覚悟を持って始動します。
We are aware of the importance of the passing of the baton from manga, the first runner, to anime, the second runner. It is with this big responsibility in mind that we are starting this project.
Last edited by symbv on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Return to “Anime and Manga”