Next Gainax Anime is Likely Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:05 am

I was under the impression that Gainax was just coming off of one of their biggest hits in years (PSG). Whether you personally like it or not, there's no denying that it was a big success for them.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:13 am

It was a hugh hit? I knew it did fairly well, but I had no idea it did that good.

I liked the show quite a bit, actually. Stocking being my favorite.
SPOILER: Show
Even if she is a demon.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:20 am

Well, I mean, it's obviously pretty popular, and the merchandise seems to be selling well (judging by the fact that there's so much of it). I don't have any hard statistics though. (Have the DVDs/BRs even gone on sale yet in Japan?)
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:26 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I was under the impression that Gainax was just coming off of one of their biggest hits in years (PSG). Whether you personally like it or not, there's no denying that it was a big success for them.

Hate to say it, but despite huge enthusiasm generated overseas and very evident love Gainax feels about PSG (just look at their website), the BD/DVD sales are under 2000 mark which would put it in "Failure" category. The OST album, though, made it into top 10 in Oricon album chart in its first week though. And there were enough people who watched the show and felt inspired by it enough to draw doujinshi -- I was surprised by the space devoted to P&G in doujin stores, whole section of shelf I mean, after the show ended (early this year). My interpretation is that fans found it entertaining to watch it on TV but did not love it to the extent to buy its BD/DVD. Given that the dependence of anime (particularly original ones like P&G that is not adapted from some game, light novel or manga) on BD/DVD sales, I really wonder how Gainax recoup their cost of making P&G. So I mark P&G as one project that Gainax just indulge themselves in doing, instead of intending it to be a commercial success, which seems to be more a secondary goal. Sort of like FFCL. And this is also noted by fans in Japan, where Gainax now has a reputation of the most wacky anime studio :)
Last edited by symbv on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:27 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:(Have the DVDs/BRs even gone on sale yet in Japan?)
I think they have, but I'm not completely sure. symbv would know for sure.

Edit: It seems symbv ninja-ed me.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:37 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Hate to say it, but despite huge enthusiasm generated overseas and very evident love Gainax feels about PSG (just look at their website), the BD/DVD sales are under 2000 mark which would put it in "Failure" category.

Well, that's a bummer. Maybe (hopefully) it'll turn into another one of those anime series that sells better in the West than in its home region. We'll see when it hits R1 next year. I know I'll probably be getting it.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”