Next Gainax Anime is Likely Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Next Gainax Anime is Likely Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:40 am

Ian K (from ANN forums) wrote:Here's what we know about the unnamed GAINAX project:

The basic rundown is, it takes place in 20th century England, and the main characters are a boy and a girl who wander around collecting magical books. It's based off of a novel.

On the same day, we got this news item:
Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian Novels Get Anime
The story centers around a young man named Huey who inherited a musty old estate, as well the entire book collection contained therein, from his grandfather. Huey meets Dalian, a girl in a black dress who is quietly reading in the basement piled high with books. Dalian controls the gateway to the Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian, the forbidden books of demonic wisdom.

Hmmm. Coincidence?

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:08 am

looks like Ian K from ANN got his info from this interview. Only piece relevent to new Gainax shit is this bit near the end, so I've quoted the rest for clarity's sake:
You mentioned that Gainax's next project (after Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt) is going to be based in 20th century England. What else can you say about that project now?

Actually in the end of June in Japan we're going to release all the information. The basic rundown is, it takes place in 20th century England, and the main characters are a boy and a girl who wander around collecting magical books. It's based off of a novel. The setting is supposed to be 20th century, but the story begins right after World War I as the character is telling the story. I want to keep that building style of the 20s, but it also has to be modern enough for cars, and they didn't really have cars in the '20s much, so right now I'm going back and forth.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 am

NAveryW, you called it. My hat's off to you.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

New Gainax Anime in July(?)

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this the first image we've gotten of that British(ish) set anime Gainax announced way back before Panty & Stocking?

http://noteanimation.blog2.fc2.com/blog-entry-1128.html

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:18 pm

One of the first images I suppose. It is based on the light novel Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian so it would not be as crazy and oddball as P&S.

Here is the website for the light novel
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/dantalian/

On the other hand, nothing much is found in Gainax website. The latest news about Dantalian is just some news on new volume of novel or manga (or ask you to buy Comp Ace or New Type to find out more about the anime -- Kadokawa !! :angry: )
http://www.gainax.co.jp/company/news/cat337/
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:08 am

O_o Suddenly I reminded of Victorique... the novel covers do ring a bell.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:18 am

The sheer gothic lolita cuteness of the female lead makes my eyes roll uncontrollably, but I'm still kind of excited for this. I'm surprised GAINAX decided to do an adaptation...
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:22 am

What is it with anime and LOLLATIN in their titles lately?

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri May 20, 2011 3:02 pm

Ah, a show about the joys and dangers of book collecting.

Color me interested.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:11 am

PV for Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian is out
http://youtu.be/fc7U3VHakgY
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

busterbeam
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby busterbeam » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:51 pm

I'll probably just watch the Osamu Kobayashi episode and ignore the rest
aaaaaa

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:12 pm

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:I'm surprised GAINAX decided to do an adaptation...

Looking at the preview page (and taking into account the fact that it is an adaptation) part of me gets this sinking feeling that this will be another of Gainax's mediocre "in-betweeners" that they crank out to make money for original projects (see also: He Is My Master, Shikabane Hime). I'd love to be wrong though.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Mediocre? I heard that Shikabane Hime was actually pretty good.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:20 pm

Really? Everybody I've talked to who's seen it says it's mediocre. I caught a few minutes of it on the Funimation channel a couple months back and what I saw did nothing to dissuade that notion.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:24 pm

I know ANN gave it a good review, and I seem to recall reading numerous post from users who agreed. I even at one point planned to buy the series, but thanks to some financial concerns I never did. Some day, maybe. . .
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:31 pm

ANN gives everything a good review, unless it is truly one of the most astonishingly awful pieces of animation ever produced or the writer deigns it necessary to turn their "review" into a diatribe on political correctness (looking at you, Casey Brienza). They're the IGN of the anime world.

Anyway, if you want to check it out I think Funimation's streaming the entire series on their website and/or Youtube. Or they were a while ago, I dunno if they took it down.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:36 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:ANN gives everything a good review, unless it is truly one of the most astonishingly awful pieces of animation ever produced or the writer deigns it necessary to turn their "review" into a diatribe on political correctness (looking at you, Casey Brienza). They're the IGN of the anime world.
Oh I know. That's why I also looked to see what people where saying about. There wasn't a hugh difference between the two, so I decide to give the show a shot.

Anyway, if you want to check it out I think Funimation's streaming the entire series on their website and/or Youtube. Or they were a while ago, I dunno if they took it down.
I think I'll just wait to buy it. I really don't feel comfortable watching something I could just as easily purchase.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:37 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I know ANN gave it a good review, and I seem to recall reading numerous post from users who agreed. I even at one point planned to buy the series, but thanks to some financial concerns I never did. Some day, maybe. . .

Did you read the Shikabane Hime manga? I quite enjoy the manga but never checked the anime (and did not realize it was made by Gainax). Perhaps I should give it a look....
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:45 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I think I'll just wait to buy it. I really don't feel comfortable watching something I could just as easily purchase.

Man, I remember when I could afford to buy any anime series I was even slightly interested in. Boy, those were the days. But those days aren't these days. These days I only buy series if I know I will enjoy them, and even then I rarely have the money. Most of my anime viewing nowadays is limited to whatever's on TV (namely Adult Swim or the Funimation Channel), whatever's on Netflix Instant, and whatever is being screened at the nearest anime club. Not that I'm trying to discourage you from purchasing if you're interested; lord knows the R1 industry could use the support.

But, anyway. Back on topic. Who knows about this newest series? Maybe it'll turn out fine, maybe it'll be a disaster, probably it'll be a relatively forgettable footnote in Gainax's history. I'll be waiting for their next major endeavor, myself, whether that's Panty and Stocking season 2 or some totally new project. Or, hey, how about those Abenobashi OVAs that Hiroyuki Yamaga mentioned exactly once a couple years ago? I'd like to see those.
Last edited by gatotsu911 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:46 pm

Did you read the Shikabane Himemanga? I quite enjoy the manga but never checked the anime (and did not realize it was made by Gainax). Perhaps I should give it a look....

Unfortunately no, but I've heard good things about it.

You should give the show a shot. From what I remember the anime and manga where said to be comparable in quality.

Man, I remember when I could afford to buy any anime series I was even slightly interested in. Boy, those were the days. But those days aren't these days. These days I only buy series if I knowI will enjoy them, and even then I rarely have the money. Most of my anime viewing nowadays is limited to whatever's on TV (namely Adult Swim or the Funimation Channel), whatever's on Netflix Instant, and whatever is being screened at the nearest anime club.
Yeah, I remember those days. My anime purchasing has really fallen off in recent years. Though occasionally I'll still buy something.

But, anyway. Back on topic. Who knows about this newest series? Maybe it'll turn out fine, maybe it'll be a disaster, probably it'll be a relatively forgettable footnote in Gainax's history. I'll be waiting for their next major endeavor, myself, whether that's Panty and Stockingseason 2 or some totally new project. Or, hey, how about those AbenobashiOVAs that Hiroyuki Yamaga mentioned exactly once a couple years ago? I'd like to see those
I for one am hoping this show turns out to be good. Gainax could use a few more hits right about now.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”