June Newtype Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Ah, okay. Thanks a lot for answering my question. :)

(Regarding providing the text, if it's OCR-able, you could email it my way and I could have somebody proof-read the translation. But of course you'd probably have to go through different Interviews to figure out where it is.)

Anyway, I really do feel that this Newtype issue IS going to be the start of proper Q news, hopefully within the next 3 to 4 months. We'll see, of course.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue May 24, 2011 12:18 pm

Complete speculation, I know, but I wonder if parts of the film might be being retooled in the aftermath of the tsunami. Imagine if, say, the climax of the film involved a "blood flood" on a scale greater than the one featured in 2.0. I could see them deciding that the Japanese do not want to see certain things at this moment in time. If one were making an American action film in the months after 9/11, one would approach things differently than they would have on 9/10.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Tue May 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Warren: Yeah I've been assuming the same thing might be happening regarding a scene or two. I can't help but feel though that we've seen the vast majority if the destruction that will be occurring in these films short of a possible full blown Instrumentality. But still, if there's even one huge Angel / Eva fight in the movie there could very easily be a sequence or two that they choose to redo.

Maybe also, if they didn't already have one, they might include a bit more of a scene or two about the general population survivors of the last film relocating. If Toji, Hikari, et al ended up surviving, we might get just a bit more of them than we expected since that's who they represent.
Shinji embraces the otaku empowerment fantasy and dives headfirst into his mother's basement. -Chrad
Acts of man are better than acts of god. -Misato

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 24, 2011 1:32 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:If one were making an American action film in the months after 9/11, one would approach things differently than they would have on 9/10.

Incidentally, Metal Gear Solid 2 (a Japanese game with a US setting) was delayed so that the World Trade Center could be excised from cut scenes toward the end. Or was it that the cut sequences with the WTC were excised altogether...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 24, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm not worries about that - If anything, ppl would be more interested in a movies full of destruction that deals with human survivor's spirit, because, yeah, they can emphasize with that.
Also, if they can get away with guts and gore and semen, no one will mind a few sunk buildings...
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Tue May 24, 2011 7:03 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Complete speculation, I know, but I wonder if parts of the film might be being retooled in the aftermath of the tsunami. Imagine if, say, the climax of the film involved a "blood flood" on a scale greater than the one featured in 2.0. I could see them deciding that the Japanese do not want to see certain things at this moment in time. If one were making an American action film in the months after 9/11, one would approach things differently than they would have on 9/10.

It is quite possible, but it also depends on how close they are now in making the movie. Basically I am absolutely certain that if the movie is supposed to come out sometime this year, IT WILL HAVE BEEN POSTPONED. It may not get reported in the west, but many projects of anime that is apocalyptic in nature got nipped after 3/11 quake/tsunami/nuclear-incident. It is not just the aftermath of tsunami, but references about quake and nuclear destruction got highly sensitive. On the other hand, if they do not see much likelihood of releasing the movie this year, they could bet on the mood of the country can still take the stuff. I am stressing the mood of the country because most likely the fans will be all fine with it, but Evangelion is something that is known to almost all Japanese so they do need to be careful about what non-anime fans and the public media may say about it.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sanctus Scorpius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanctus Scorpius » Tue May 24, 2011 7:15 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Incidentally, Metal Gear Solid 2 (a Japanese game with a US setting) was delayed so that the World Trade Center could be excised from cut scenes toward the end. Or was it that the cut sequences with the WTC were excised altogether...

It was an entire sequence involving Arsenal (a mobile fortress) crashing through Manhattan. I don't think the WTC was destroyed in the sequence, but the towers were visible.
They also removed the American flags on the flag poles strangely enough.

It is not just the aftermath of tsunami, but references about quake and nuclear destruction got highly sensitive.

The Jet Alone episode must be awkward for some people now.

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed May 25, 2011 5:26 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:It is quite possible, but it also depends on how close they are now in making the movie. Basically I am absolutely certain that if the movie is supposed to come out sometime this year, IT WILL HAVE BEEN POSTPONED. It may not get reported in the west, but many projects of anime that is apocalyptic in nature got nipped after 3/11 quake/tsunami/nuclear-incident.

Interesting... so the tsunami could very well be the only reason for Q's delay? Like you said, no one can know for sure, but I understand if this is the case.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed May 25, 2011 5:44 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Interesting... so the tsunami could very well be the only reason for Q's delay? Like you said, no one can know for sure, but I understand if this is the case.

Well, the rumor around Japan fandom is that they were at the stage of finalizing the animation so most probably it was not ready for release this year (otherwise announcement and marketing campaign would have started at least 9-12 months earlier). Most likely the tsunami is not the only reason but it definitely had the effect of delaying whatever work they were doing. Most of the anime works were hit, some quite hard, by the quake/tsunami and instability/uncertainty during the aftermath (logistics and electricity are big concerns).
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed May 25, 2011 9:21 am

That they still normally publish stuff at all (like this article here - I hope there's a translation soon) is already admirable. I'd rather wait a little for Q than have it earlier but "toned down" because of the current situation.

Anyway, the more I hear about Q, the more I look forward to it. Completely new stuff. Yay! Kaworu. Yay! Lots of Mari, apparently. Yay. The children meeting. Hell yeah!

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Wed May 25, 2011 11:06 am

It seems like the Japanese are pretty sensitive to this stuff. I remember a singer's single had to be canceled due to imagery used in the song.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed May 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Well, who wouldn't be sensitive? America was after 9/11, and this tsunami covers a greater geological area than that. Many Japanese probably have a personal connection to the tragedy, even if they weren't near it on the day. As far as we can tell, the beginning of Q deals with the aftermath of Third Impact, and the destruction it caused. If the film has to be pushed back because the people don't want to see that on screen right now, I understand. Like Kendrix said, better a delay than a compromised movie.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed May 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Still, this thread is getting longer and longer and it still has no translation in it :( We won't be getting Q anytime soon, but let's at least enjoy/translate the little we have.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed May 25, 2011 8:26 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Still, this thread is getting longer and longer and it still has no translation in it :( We won't be getting Q anytime soon, but let's at least enjoy/translate the little we have.

Translation of what? Articles in NewType? Wonder if anybody made any scan....

Actually my take is even without Mar 11, Q would not make it to the big screen in 2011 because marketing campaign usually starts 9-12 months before the release date (and for a movie as big and high profile as Eva Rebuild it may want to have even longer marketing time) and by March this year we had not heard any news about coming release, which means the movie could never have made it in 2011. What happened on March 11 only complicate whatever the animation staff were doing and further delayed the release. Just bear in mind when they announce a rough time for the release (summer or fall say) you will still need to wait for almost one year to actually see the damned thing.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Jornophelanthas
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Thu May 26, 2011 8:17 am

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:It seems like the Japanese are pretty sensitive to this stuff. I remember a singer's single had to be canceled due to imagery used in the song.

Japanese society is indeed very sensitive to images of massive destruction, mostly as a result of nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945. You'll notice that a lot of the post-1945 popular media features (Japanese) cities being destroyed by monsters, natural disasters, aliens, and giant robots, as well as disasters brought about by giant alien robot monsters.

The entire disaster theme is sort of a cultural trauma.

Then again, I have no true understanding of what this means for the societal coping with the non-fictional disasters of the tsunami and subsequent nuclear reactor failure, and the implications (if any) this may have for yet another disaster anime (i.e. Rebuild of Evangelion).

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 26, 2011 2:00 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Translation of what? Articles in NewType? Wonder if anybody made any scan....

There's one on the first or second page of this thread(in a spoiler box), but the guy who posted em is currently busy cuz of Real Life.
Not sure if the text is legible like that, tough.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu May 26, 2011 8:26 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:There's one on the first or second page of this thread(in a spoiler box), but the guy who posted em is currently busy cuz of Real Life.
Not sure if the text is legible like that, tough.

Found them, thanks. Not legible except the titles. Oh well.

Guess we will have to wait for LIwarriorTKD to settle down after his move and fixing of his computer....
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

LilithInTheBasement
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LilithInTheBasement » Thu May 26, 2011 8:36 pm

They're not that sensitive. Their most famous media export is a dinosaur powered by nuclear bombs.

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu May 26, 2011 8:44 pm

There was nearly a decade between Hiroshima and Gojira. They had had some time to process the event.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri May 27, 2011 10:24 am

One of NGE's main inspirations was the Aum Shinrikyo subway attack. I don't think Anno or anyone else was being overly sensitive to tragedy, seeing as how NGE ends with the Aum-like suicide cult conquering the world and killing everybody. I doubt Anno or anyone else is going to do much altering of NME because of the quake, something which, devastating as it is, is practically business as usual compared to a nerve-gas attack.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”