June Newtype Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon May 09, 2011 10:58 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/cello2.png/]Image[/URL]

Here ha can be seen bowing with his right hand and using his left to hold notes on the fingerboard. He is playing the cello with a right-handed "stance". This is from the series, but i think it's one of those instances where there is probably no contradiction between NGE and NME.

Crux is, it's not a guitar. The player's handedness does not alter the way the cello is held or used. Common believe is that it's actually advantageous if you are left-handed playing it orthodox. There are rare cases of people holding the bow with the left.

I doubt Anno had that ever considered though.

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:I could have used a less elegant example of Shinji using his right hand, but every joke gets old after a while.

Heh, I was actually waiting for that example so I could tell by own experience that this does not prove the dominant hand. EVA-01 shooting with his right would probably be a better way of illustrating, I guess.

View Original PostLIwarriorTKD wrote:In terms of who illustrated the 4koma, if I understand the credit properly it should have been done by Anno's wife.

As for the epic portrait of Anno/Gendo reigning terror over the rest of the cast... I'm not so sure :emogendo:

Ah, that's pretty cool.
Last edited by Fireball on Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 09, 2011 11:02 am

Fireball, just pop the show or movies in. It would probably take a very forced appraisal of things to determine that Shinji is anything but right-handed. If they'd intended for Shinji to be left-handed, it would be REALLY obvious: e.g., the Shinji-piloted Eva-01 would be slaying Angels with a left-handed grip, and Nerv might have even been nice enough to put the prog knife in the right pylon. (And the show would also likely have been squeezing Shinji's manual orientation for all the sinister symbolism it was worth.)

After lots of squinting, I've determined that the "Work! Work! Work!" pic is by Hidenori Matsubara. (He supervises the character animation or something. nonoriri knows more than I do.)
Last edited by Reichu on Mon May 09, 2011 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Mon May 09, 2011 11:06 am

That big illustration is the EPICNESS!!

Too bad about any Q news being shot, but at least we know that they are working on it. And interesting that Khara isn't a household name yet (though it's not entirely surprising). Maybe when I get my animation studio running, I can strike a partnership with them to help them out.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon May 09, 2011 11:20 am

View Original PostLIwarriorTKD wrote:As an independent company they say it is difficult because they handle all of the aspects of the production cycle including distribution of their content.
What is the definition of "independent" in Japan in regards to filmmaking? In the United States an independent film is one that's produced without much help from a major film studio... and "major film studio" means Disney, WB, Fox, Universal, MGM or Paramount. Since these are all American companies, I'm sure most countries have a different idea of what makes a film studio independent.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon May 09, 2011 11:32 am

Sure thing, Reichu. Case in point I mentioned EVA-01 and was actually recalling the insistent focus on his right. (twitch, blood etc)

So, Matsubara did the picture eh? Good to see the guys haven't lost their humor.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon May 09, 2011 11:59 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Fireball, just pop the show or movies in. It would probably take a very forced appraisal of things to determine that Shinji is anything but right-handed. If they'd intended for Shinji to be left-handed, it would be REALLY obvious: e.g., the Shinji-piloted Eva-01 would be slaying Angels with a left-handed grip, and Nerv might have even been nice enough to put the prog knife in the right pylon. (And the show would also likely have been squeezing Shinji's manual orientation for all the sinister symbolism it was worth.)

I was going to mention it as well. Not because I don't think Shinji is right handed, but that someone who's classically trained will always bow with the right hand for violin/viola/violoncello/cello/contrabass, so it's not really an example.

Moyoco Anno is Anno's wife. She's a mangaka. Drew a manga about Hideaki Anno 2 years or so ago. Their last names are written differently.

So the people at Khara all wear "Rebuild" T-Shirts?

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon May 09, 2011 12:04 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:So the people at Khara all wear "Rebuild" T-Shirts?

That their shirts say that and not "NME/NTE" is all the justification I need to keep calling the series "Rebuild".

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon May 09, 2011 12:23 pm

Whats the little cartoon strip featured Anno on the facing page say? Something about him signing autographs maybe?

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon May 09, 2011 12:27 pm

People wrote:LOL cello n00b

Well, i learned something today.
Last edited by SaltyJoe on Mon May 09, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 09, 2011 12:28 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:That their shirts say that and not "NME/NTE" is all the justification I need to keep calling the series "Rebuild".

HEHEHE TRIUMPH!

...I want a T-Shirt like that.
Please?

I also want someone to draw the EVA cast in these T-Shirts.
And a naked Rei III who doesn't get a T-Shirt because she isn't in Rebuild.
(Any justification for a naked Rei is valid)

So, anyone translate the comic strip`?

Also, did anyone pay attention to which hand rebuild!Shinji holds his knife in? They might've just changed it because they didn't have the idea earlier. Or the artist of that pic got it wrong - never mind, it's still an awesome pic made of win. Or his right hand is already sore of scribbling too much, so he's using the other one, prompting Rei's expression.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 09, 2011 12:40 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:That their shirts say that and not "NME/NTE" is all the justification I need to keep calling the series "Rebuild".

"Rebuild of Evangelion" stopped being the title a long time ago. Their T-shirts don't change that. ;p

From what I can gather, "Rebuild" is not the film series itself so much as the process of making it. They use it as a verb, even (e.g., "rebuild suru"). Ultimately, there is probably a bit of "lol Japan / engrish" going on.

Kendrix wrote:Also, did anyone pay attention to which hand rebuild!Shinji holds his knife in?

It's still right.

I honestly wouldn't read too much into the left-handed thing. Like I said, it could easily be an in-joke about Shinji Higuchi slaving away at storyboards.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon May 09, 2011 12:55 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:"Rebuild of Evangelion" stopped being the title a long time ago. Their T-shirts don't change that. ;p

Somebody forgot to tell the people who are making the movies :lol:

C'mon, give in. Calling them "NME/NTE" is lame. Lame! And it's going to look silly in ten years to call them "new" (even if the final installment will be coming out at about that time, nyuck nyuck). And what if they go crazy and make another set of films? We'll spend a lot of time explaining that, no, we don't mean the NEW new movies, we mean the OLD new movies. No, not the OLDEST movies, the ones that ended with EOE. We're talking about the middle movies, which are the "new" ones, but not the latest ones.

In other words: Rebuild 4evuh :headbang:
Last edited by Warren Peace on Mon May 09, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Mon May 09, 2011 1:01 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Fireball, just pop the show or movies in. It would probably take a very forced appraisal of things to determine that Shinji is anything but right-handed. If they'd intended for Shinji to be left-handed, it would be REALLY obvious: e.g., the Shinji-piloted Eva-01 would be slaying Angels with a left-handed grip, and Nerv might have even been nice enough to put the prog knife in the right pylon. (And the show would also likely have been squeezing Shinji's manual orientation for all the sinister symbolism it was worth.)

After lots of squinting, I've determined that the "Work! Work! Work!" pic is by Hidenori Matsubara. (He supervises the character animation or something. nonoriri knows more than I do.)

Yes Matsubara is one of the 4 animation directors for NME (or at least for 2.0), considering that his "style" is most prominent within the films (and he does a good deal of the official art associated with NME along with Honda) I'd say he is the overall character animation director/supervisor to Honda's mechanical animation direction, with Suzuki and Okuda having hands in both along with effects, clean-up and whatever else that pops up. I think Suzuki might be chief AD though, but they don't have that credit for 2.0 (he was credited as such for 1.0 I believe) so I'm not sure if that's the case.
Last edited by Nonoriri on Mon May 09, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 09, 2011 1:03 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:
I honestly wouldn't read too much into the left-handed thing. Like I said, it could easily be an in-joke about Shinji Higuchi slaving away at storyboards.

In that case, poor guy. Someone should get him a cookie... and put it in front of his face à la carrot-on-a-stick so he'll draw faster. In fact, do that with everyonein the Khara building.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 09, 2011 1:18 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Somebody forgot to tell the people who are making the movies :lol: (snip)

Errr... Did you read my post, son? :p

Anyway, I'm not sure what the big deal is. "Rebuild of Evangelion" is just another "RoE" to get lost amongst the overabundance we already have (and, knowing Khairax, we'll only see more in the years ahead). It even has the potential of outdating itself in time (what do you call a rebuild of a Rebuild)? The "new" thing isn't as outrageous as you're making it sound. For example, have you ever heard of something called the "New Testament"? How about the "New Deal"? I'm sure you can think of additional examples in this vein without my help.

Funimation isn't endorsing the production title overseas (as they rightfully shouldn't), which pretty much says it all.

Back to the article.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon May 09, 2011 1:31 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Errr... Did you read my post, son? :p

Yeah... daughter. Those are the people making the movie, and they're wearing Rebuild shirts. Point Warren Peace. They didn't follow up the New Deal with "Even Newer Deal" or the New Testament with "Rebuild of Jesusgelion" (shut up Mormons you don't count). I wouldn't bet against there being Eva films past the Rebuild series, so it could be a problem in the future.

Anyway, back to topic. We'll meet back here in twenty years and I'll be all "told you, sucka!" and you'll be like "I knows it, holmes".

Sanctus Scorpius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanctus Scorpius » Mon May 09, 2011 1:33 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:(what do you call a rebuild of a Rebuild)?

The Redux of Evangelion?
The Refrain o-wait.

Shame about the article not giving much info on 3.0 itself apparently, though a full body shot of Solidus!Asuka and Evil god!Anno were nice to see.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 09, 2011 1:46 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Yeah... daughter. Those are the people making the movie, and they're wearing Rebuild shirts.

"Khara employees wearing shirts saying 'Rebuild'" does not mean "new Eva movie series is still officially called 'Rebuild of Evangelion'". The movies are referred to as 'Evangelion Shingekijouban' in Japan, they have been for years, and no amount of wishful thinking will change this. You don't have to like it, but accepting it is probably the best thing for your dignity. :p

Once you've gotten past this hurdle, THEN you can attempt to explain the shirts, but not a moment sooner.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon May 09, 2011 1:49 pm

who cares what's their official title, that Khara uses Rebuild shirts is as good endorsement as any for continuing to use Rebuild in discussion because it's much clearer and not yet another stupid combination of letters. We already have enough those

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Mon May 09, 2011 2:12 pm

http://oreno.imouto.org/post/show/181095/bodysuit-eyepatch-honda_takeshi-neon_genesis_evang

HUGE version of the cover.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”