How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

LoCooLaidman
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LoCooLaidman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Saw pictures of Rei everywhere, but I had no idea what she was from. Few years later, my older cousin buy's the platinum edition of NGE, so I borrow it and in an all-nighter (school night too) I was drawn into the world of Evangelion. I was so lost that the next day I was in a stupor. When I came back to my senses, I found out there was EoE, and went back into a stupor (this time it lasted a week). And so now i've moved onto the Rebuild series, but all in all, End Of Eva was the main draw.

Obstermaxmaster
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Obstermaxmaster » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Well, I first got into Evangelion after seeing the Funimation blog all hyped-up about the 2nd Rebuild movie. I watched the TV series and movie in 2 days. The end of EOE left me feeling empty inside and it took me a while to get over it; but I still enjoy Eva being one of my favorite anime to watch.
I WISH DAYLIGHT SAVINGS NEVER HAPPENED SO WE CAN WATCH MORE KARE KANO ~ C.A.P. ON SKYPE

Safeas112
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Safeas112 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:02 am

I had recently been introduced into the world of anime by a friend, I was hooked on it and was (am still) searching and searching for good animes, My friend recommended it to me and at first I was very cautious of it. After buying a Naruto Shippuden Dvd, I checked the little booklets that are in there and I happened to find Evangelion in there. Thanks to the little preview I decided to watch it and here i am, 26 episodes, 4 movies later addicted to Evangelion :).
''Admiration is the furthest thing from understanding''.
''If miracles only happen once, what are they called the second time?''

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:35 am

I first got into Eva because it was first shown on TV back in 1995 :lol:
Last edited by symbv on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:25 am

saw it on TV when it was airring, was so confused at the time, then they were selling acton figures and everywhere was of eva, and i just fell in love with it

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Had heard about it for years on the Interwebz; saw a few minutes of an episode on Adult Swim; was instantly convinced to shell out for a box set; started watching the series; fell in love with it by around episode 4; never looked back since.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:04 pm

I think I st- er, borrowed my brother's copies of the first two DVDs when I was sick from school back in '09. I proceeded to watch up to episodde 20 on youtube, and I still haven't finished yet. Dx
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:07 pm

It's never too late to finish, just watch the last 6 eps (although be sure to find the director's cut versions) and finish with EOE.

Dark_Firestar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dark_Firestar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:01 am

I first fell in love with Neon Genesis Evangelion when I was but a wee lad on a road trip with my family somewhere. We drove though this dying town somewhere and lost in some neighborhood when I locked on to some eyes. Red Eyes. After that I had dreams of this girl with red eyes and blue hair. Some time after I road my bike to the library one fine day to pick up some random Anime, and I saw Death and Rebirth. Saw them same red eyes and took it home with me and became the Eva Fan I am today.

Travosaga
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Travosaga » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:11 pm

It was an impulse buy for me. I was at a fleamarket buying bootleg episodes of Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon sometime in the mid 90s when episodes past a certain point weren't available here yet and I saw some bootleg copies of Evangelion. Bootlegs cost me 25 dollars for 3 tapes each with 3 horrible quality episodes on it done with some really bad subtitles. I decided to give it a try and picked up the first 3 episodes along with a Dragonball Z android saga tape and a Sailor Moon S tape. I fell in love and it's been an obsession ever since.
Know thyself.

makinami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby makinami » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:04 pm

Watched it as it aired in Japan, on satellite TV here in the US. I maybe understood every fifth word; it was in the days when I only knew fantard Japanese.

The best part? Somehow missing episodes 25 and 26 as they aired, and couldn't find them elsewhere. Fast forward to a year later, when the only reasonable (read: not becoming homeless from importing laserdiscs) choice I had was to buy them on VHS. Dubbed in Cantonese.

And you thought you disliked episodes 25 and 26.
(Actually, I was pretty okay with it. I have a pretty high tolerance for Anno trolling.)

EdmundC
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EdmundC » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:20 am

I'd heard about it a lot, but didn't get the opportunity to watch it until I was recovering from back surgery. I incurred subsequent surgeries (staph infections will do that to you during a moist summer...) and through that hellish period I managed to watch the entire series including the movies.

And I think EoE contributed to some fever dreams...

Xous
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xous » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:44 pm

The way I first got into Eva was through Toonami, I think. I remember there was a time they showed the first episode back when they were showing episodes from random anime titles. (On Wikipedia the closest I could find to this was "Giant Robot Week", which happened during the last week of February 2003.) I believe I had heard of Evangelion before then, but I'm not sure where...

Anyway, a while after I saw the first episode on Toonami I got the Platinum Collection of the anime and I've been hooked since.

MaskedOmega
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MaskedOmega » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:16 pm

I remember seeing it on adult swim or something when I was younger and now I just finally got around to watching it. I have now become an addict.

GoGoGengar
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoGoGengar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:56 pm

I watched Asuka's battle against the MP EVAS and it was really cool and I watched it many times with zero understanding. One day, after watching it one more time I decided to watch the first episode of NGE and I got hoocked

toastyotaku42
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby toastyotaku42 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:44 pm

View Original PostTheMessiah wrote:no, seeing as to my knowledge were all guys, i think my avatar is quite refreshing

I'm actually a girl but I think it's fine

on topic
I got into eva because I heard cruel angel's thesis and I couldn't get it out of my head! I watched the first episode on the internet and then I was hooked. I watched the whole show within 2 weeks and eventually watched EoE and Death and Rebirth. Ever since then I have been collecting lots of eva stuff. I also think about it a lot.
In the morning or at night it is such a great delight to eat green cereal -AD Police Files

What if it did. What if it didn't. What if the world were made of pudding -Story From North America

Miuzaki
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Miuzaki » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 pm

I really dont like mecha at all, i prefer martial arts, hand to hand combat. But i soon found this to be TOTALLY irrelevant with eva.

I saw an AMV named Odno i to zhe, i was a Ramms+ein FREAK, LONG before i knew of Eva, so of course i liked it.

I saw the depressing and tragic psychological aspect. I loved the characters just for their design. (thats Yoshiyuki Sadamoto for ya)

I decided to try somthing new so i watched DEATH(true2) cause it was a recap. I was completely unable to refrain from watching the anime. I was dissapointed as hell from the ending, i then found out about EOE, i watched it.

Every thought, saying, moral, ideal and way of life i knew of before was utterly shattered.

Eva completely tore my mind apart and as i built it back up. I saw the existence of a new me.

funeral_fog
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby funeral_fog » Mon May 02, 2011 8:51 am

Well it all started on a dusty dry Monday Night in Australia.

I was grooming my kangaroo's watching The Biggest Loser, I think. When I panned channels past ABC2. I caught my first glimpse of Death Note. After watching episode 2, I was intrigued. I needed to learn more about "Anime". And so I went to the internet.

After doing a bit of research (read: reading Top Anime of All Time lists) one name kept popping up. Neon Genesis Evangelion. Perhaps it was fate, but flipping through the TV Guide I saw that End of Evangelion was scheduled to air late night on SBS.. I can't remember when >_>

After watching it, I was floored. It hit me like a truck. The pure misery of the whole thing, the confusion, the panic, the self loathing and screaming, it was all what I had been looking for. I just didn't know it until then.

So time went on. I eventually ordered the Platinum Set for myself, and had myself a little Eva marathon. It impressed me even more, everything was completely new to me. Each episode was better than the last. Then I got to episode 26... and killed a few children.

Yada yada, found Evageeks eventually, had my mind blown by just how much I had actually missed in this show, re-watched it about once a week for lord knows how long, eventually ordered a Region 1 copy of End of Evangelion off Amazon for about 80 bucks including postage, got a hold of 1.11 and 2.22, still buying the manga as we speak, and here I am today!

Evangelion ruined my life. It got me addicted to Anime! I'm glad I found it though. I'm still nagging everyone I know to watch it, and I've got a few anime disbelievers hooked on it as well. And time goes on...
Ya gotta watch out for those Terminator Maids, y'know..

Akhbar_25
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Akhbar_25 » Sun May 08, 2011 2:36 pm

I was starting with Anime.

A friend of mine told me about the Series.

I started looking for images and information then I watched the complete show.

And from that moment Evangelion has been my favorite Anime.
"He was aware that he was still a child"
"Don't be"

illustriusCheese
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby illustriusCheese » Sun May 08, 2011 3:59 pm

My dad rented a disk for me back when I was six because I loved giant robot shows

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”