Did Eva redefine you?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Korgan
Adam

Did Eva redefine you?

•      
  •      

Postby Korgan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:54 pm

The first time I watched Eva was a couple of years ago, just as I was beginning to get into anime. Watched the first few episodes over a week, then marathoned the rest + EoE in a single night. For the next several days, I felt not myself. Something spoke to me from the screen, softly but persistently. Before, I was a lazy, nihilistic loner, taking pride in my lack of care for others. I just went along with whatever happened, locked in my shell, with literally no friends or acquaintances beyond my family.
However, Eva just... showed me how wrong I've been, how people are only made real through their connections, how unique and how flawed they are under the identical surfaces. My rational mind was awed at Hideaki Anno's achievement, how he made me see myself in Shinji. And I felt like there was a sacred duty in front of me, one that I must carry now that I see clearly. I'm still a coward, still a loner, still afraid, hurt and disgusted, but now I know why I must help the people around me, refrain from hurting them, maybe do something more. I'm not yet sure what I'll do with my life, but I think I'll manage, as long as it does good.
And I tried to open up a little. I became nicer and more supportive to my family, I found a significant other over the net (by recommending him to watch Eva, no less - we had a good talk after he was through with it and found that we were made for each other). I got into religion (Gnosticism, in case you're curious). Hell, I think I grew up a good five years mentally, as a result of it all.
Well, did anyone else had a similar life-changing experience? I'd just like to know.
Sorry if this is a little unreadable.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:05 pm

I hardly changed like you seem to have, but I certainly changed. I got happier. I wasn't sad or depressed beforehand; I had a fairly average disposition and world view - albeit a cynical one. But that's never really been anything but useful.

I used to be too concerned with what people thought of me and wasn't particularly comfortable in larger groups of people. I was never really myself and felt I should be more like most other people among my peers (Drink, watch football, go to parties, yadda yadda yadda) but after Eva I thought "You know what? No. The world is a million times more complicated than alcohol and football and parties and whatever fleeting fad is currently doing the rounds and I'm not gonna pretend to like them because everyone else does in this fraction of a fraction of the world in a millisecond of time does." which I suppose has made me less social because I don't feel that I ought to meet with people for the sake of meeting with people, and yet it left me much happier to talk with people and now when I see and talk to friends it's because I actually want to, not because I see something wrong in being content with a computer, MSN and a game/ book/ film for company.

I guess I just feel freer and that the world's a little bit nicer than before.
Last edited by liquidus118 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Eva just deepened my spiritual understanding, made me a little more arrogant, but also gave me a person to feel very sorry about. Poor Shinji, I hope you find happiness in Asuka's arms on that beach. Providing she doesn't kick you in the nads. It has also given me something to be obsessed about too. And a whole new hentai fetish. Came with some good and some bad.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:37 pm

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Eva redefined me. It did influence my personal thoughts more than pretty much any TV show or movie has.

The thing about me is that during my worst points, I knew very well that a lot of my depressive, suicidal, and self-hating thoughts were really irrational. I knew they didn't make sense in the grand scheme of things and that I could live happier if I changed my attitude. But I just couldn't, it was too hard. However, Eva seemed to pull the emotional strings that I wasn't able to get to before. Somehow, my understanding of myself was just different, even though, like I said, I already knew the lessons taught prior to watching. I guess it was seeing the tragedies through characters that I had grown to love is what suddenly shifted me.

Korgan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Korgan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:42 pm

View Original Postsupershinjiasukashipper wrote:Eva just deepened my spiritual understanding, made me a little more arrogant, but also gave me a person to feel very sorry about. Poor Shinji, I hope you find happiness in Asuka's arms on that beach. Providing she doesn't kick you in the nads. It has also given me something to be obsessed about too. And a whole new hentai fetish. Came with some good and some bad.

Also, this. Damn, man, SxA is the hottest and the most heartwarming thing in the universe. I confess, I'm enormously attracted to both of them.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Not gonna get too intimate here, but yes, in a way it did, and at a time in my life when I needed it most.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:56 pm

View Original PostKorgan wrote:Also, this. Damn, man, SxA is the hottest and the most heartwarming thing in the universe. I confess, I'm enormously attracted to both of them.

I wouldn't say I am attracted, I think of Shinji like a brother or son almost, and that pretty much kills of attraction to Asuka on a mental level. But it sure is faptastic. I'm gonna get a root beer now.
Interesting Quote:
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:58 pm

I was about 30 years too old for that to be a serious possibility. Didn't stop it being an emotional kicking, though.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:02 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I was about 30 years too old for that to be a serious possibility. Didn't stop it being an emotional kicking, though.

Its good you can never get too old to have something like this move you. Lets face it, eva is universal.
Interesting Quote:

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:19 pm

This is a scale showing people's outlooks on life.
“Aw, fiddlesticks! I just lost my arm. Good thing I'm left-handed!” ←→ Idealistic ←→ Optimistic ←→ Realistic ←→ Pessimistic ←→ Cynical ←→ “Oh, God, kill me now!”

Where I was a day before Eva: “Oh God, kill me now!”

Where I was a while watching Eva: Cynical

Where I was after EoTV: Pessimistic

Where I was after EoE: “Oh, God, kill me now!”

Where I was after I rewatched EoE and understood it: Realistic

Eva pretty much saved my life.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:57 pm

View Original Postsupershinjiasukashipper wrote:Lets face it, eva is universal.

I really doubt that it's universal. Crazy trippy intrsopective philosophical mindfucks aren't to everyone's taste. Neither is not having every single answer spelled out in neon letters for them. Heck, the fact that it's an anime means the majority of Westerners wouldn't take it seriously, anyway.

MaskedOmega
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MaskedOmega » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:28 pm

It got me into a very philosophical state. After watching it, all I could do was keep researching to try to understand right after I got home from work for like a week. It has for sure changed the way I think and has consumed my life.

theobject
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby theobject » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:42 pm

Yes, but not to the point of emotional trauma. When I first was encouraged to watch it, I was so hooked that I watched I think the first 15 episodes in a day, then watched the rest plus EoE the next day.

I remember that for a week, I was pretty disoriented, and couldn't really think about anything other than Evangelion. Once things cleared and I understood the implications of the ending, however, I did feel much better about it. So, in the end, nothing major- I wasn't in a state of emotional distress before, and it helped improve my outlook on life. Slightly.

Although I really can't go more than a day without thinking/subconsciously making a reference to it.
Hello. I'm a noob.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:36 am

Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Leighton
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:19 am

Asuka certainly did the job for me.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:17 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I was about 30 years too old for that to be a serious possibility. Didn't stop it being an emotional kicking, though.

This (though knock a decade off in my case). Also, shows don't really do much to define me; the compelling ones might get me to think about and redefine myself, but that's about as far as it goes.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:34 pm

Absolutely, like no other work of art ever has

am not sure if it was a good thing :P:P:P

Rei Makes You Go Splat
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rei Makes You Go Splat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:20 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Absolutely, like no other work of art ever has

am not sure if it was a good thing :P:P:P
This.

Oh, the irony of being obsessed with Eva. I should be going outside and living my life, but ever since I discovered Eva, I've used up more time and money re-watching the series over and over again and buying more merchandise. It did change my worldview, so some good has definitely come out of my fandom.
Evangelion extends life. Evangelion expands consciousness.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:28 pm

It was amazing and it touched in a way nothing else has or ever will, but I don't think it really changed me.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 pm

View Original PostRei Makes You Go Splat wrote:This.

Oh, the irony of being obsessed with Eva. I should be going outside and living my life, but ever since I discovered Eva, I've used up more time and money re-watching the series over and over again and buying more merchandise. It did change my worldview, so some good has definitely come out of my fandom.

That is ironic. Anno would probably have a sad if he read that, considering the show and EoE in particular were saying "Go outside and stop obsessing over anime!".

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”