[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Rebooting after 100 pages

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:^yeah, I would stick with the bootlegged, unused versions of songs from the original unreleased album like "Good Vibrations", "Heroes and Villains", etc.indeed, Flash Gordon soundtrack FTWRon Wasserman does possess that power
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:09 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:52 pm

@ THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Ehh, I'm not just gonna stick to the bootlegs. You never know, it might actually be good. I'd rather check it out than be closed minded about it.

And even if it does suck, it'll include new material fans can work with into making their own version of SMiLE. Though, I could live happily ever after just with the Purplechick and Brian Wilson version of SMiLE....

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Closing threads after they reach 100 pages just to start a new one that's exactly the same is annoying and borderline retarded. Can you guys stop this bullshit?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Now Brik, they're not just doing it for the hell of it. They have very good reasons for restarting really long threads.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Which are what, exactly?
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Really long threads are hard to manage so cutting them makes things simpler for the mods. There were other reasons as well but I don't remember what they were. I'm sure a helpful mod would be willing the fill in the rest.
Last edited by child of Lilith on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:10 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Closing threads after they reach 100 pages just to start a new one that's exactly the same is annoying and borderline retarded. Can you guys stop this bullshit?

We have to, the forum times out and puts a huge strain on the server when threads that are heavily trafficked get over the 70-80 page mark. I can do a split from within the database where there's still a healthy overlap and not a complete restart, but not every admin has direct access to the database, plus, if I mess up the query I risk screwing up the thread permanently. The only other alternative is to restart from scratch like this thread. If we could afford the cost for a dedicated server host, we'd have active threads that are hundreds of pages and we'd have the forum search function, but a 4000% increase in hosting cost isn't on the table.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:13 pm

Stop using your logic, Ornette. You spoil all the fun.
Awesomely Shitty

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:36 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Here, have some Astor Piazzolla. Gotta love Piazzolla, both as someone who used to play cello and someone who just likes "classical" music (whatever "classical" means anyway). Both of these are played by Yo-Yo Ma because I like his way of playing them.

Libertango
Le Grand Tango

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Lonely Soul - Unkle

I've been finding myself listening to Unkle. a lot of the music can be related to Eva.
The Moats of Quotes

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:33 am

So, I'm listening to the stereo remix of Pet Sounds. It's a sin in the music world to mess with such a classic album in this way, but it's a sin that feels so good. I still love the mono mix though. Something magical about it that the stereo version doesn't have.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:07 am

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Something magical about it that the stereo version doesn't have.
It's more coherent. Stereo mixes of mono sound like they broke open a Faberge egg and scattered the pieces.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Leighton
Lilith

Postby Leighton » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:37 am

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:47 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:It's more coherent. Stereo mixes of mono sound like they broke open a Faberge egg and scattered the pieces.

Are you referring to douphonic stereo? I'm not talking about that. In the 90s, Brain mixed a stereo version for the 30th anniversary.

The more I think about the stereo mix, the more I realize the problem is that it sounds way too modern for the recording. The big benefit is that everything is cleaner and clearer, but that also is a bit of a flaw too because it ruins this wall of sound that Brian created, which was inspired by Phil Spector. It's interesting to have and hear both though.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:57 am

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Are you referring to douphonic stereo? I'm not talking about that. In the 90s, Brain mixed a stereo version for the 30th anniversary.
Even a remix is still taking the original mono recording and splitting them up. The result is always a bit awkward. It does clean everything up, but it still doesn't sound quite right. I've often said that for analytical listening I'll take stereo mixes over mono any day, but the original monos are almost always better for enjoyment listening.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:48 pm

I've been listening to Pink Floyd for like four hours straight.... :smokin:
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:16 pm

^ That's cool.

I was seduced by This Mortal Coil's Blood 2 days ago. Absolutely stunning no matter which track you pick. Mr. Somewhere is probably my favorite and by checking its "background" I discovered The Apartments and listened to parts of Life Full of Farewells - which I need to get asap. Such a haunting album.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:26 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:I was seduced by This Mortal Coil's Blood 2 days ago. Absolutely stunning no matter which track you pick. Mr. Somewhere is probably my favorite and by checking its "background" I discovered The Apartments and listened to parts of Life Full of Farewells - which I need to get asap. Such a haunting album.

I was heavily into This Mortal Coil when they first came out during my high school years. I think all their 3 albums were great.

If you love This Mortal Coil, you might want to check Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance too.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”