Significance in Shinji's Cassette Player?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:37 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It goes both ways. One step forward, two steps back -- life's a one-two punch.

Ding ding ding, a winner is you.

Seriously, I don't understand why more people don't see Shinji's actions in 2.22's ending similar to his actions in EoE (though both were different circumstances of course): it's a mix of good and bad regarding what happened and why. As well as how likely or not that Shinji realized why his actions were wrong and how he can "grow up" from them. Repeating myself from another thread, but: in 2.22's case, it's good that Shinji valued a life, Rei's, (Compared to EoE where he didn't value any life--including his own until he realized his mistake), but he still has a ways to go before valuing all human life, including his own (what with his "I don't care about what happens to the world, I don't care what happens to me").

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see where the SDAT goes as a motif from here on out. I wonder if Shinji will "properly" give the SDAT for Rei to keep, or if he'll want it back? Would the SDAT be fixed somehow so Shinji could block out the world more (whenever he'd get out of Eva-01), or would he keep the broken SDAT by maintaining hope to reconnect with Gendo still? Pretty interesting that Rei possess the SDAT during the ending, not just with the loyalties shift (even though the SDAT and glasses were both Gendo's at one point), but also how she represented "the hope that people will one day understand each other" in NGE and EoE. Perhaps that's part of what Rei holding onto the SDAT at the end of 2.22 means, and not so much that she's running away like Shinji is (although there is Rei's own issues of not valuing her own life due to having clones).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:18 pm

That's one hell of a tape player if it can survive digestion / Angelic assimilation and some kind of weird metaphysical transference from 00's core interior through 01's palms into 01's entry plug.

Incidentally, there was no trace of the SDAT until Rei was pulled out of the tar pit. It wasn't there with her when she was just floating in limbo.

It's probably a stretch to say that the original object still exists. This isn't like in EoE: Shinji COULD come out with Misato's cross at the end because he never left the entry plug.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:17 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Because Rei is the one who's holding onto the player and Shinji has since abandoned it (Rei has basically swapped out Gendo's glasses for Shinji's SDAT), I'd say it symbolizes that she's running away just as much as Shinji. She's in the position of being caught between both of them, which wasn't really explored that much with the loyalty switch in NGE/EoE.

Perhaps it represents her moving on from her first other(gendo) to her significant other(Shinji).

Perhaps the fact that it is a broken sdat, it represents their anchor to an equally flawed reality that Shinji is running from (and that Rei is trying to break into).

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:37 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:That's one hell of a tape player if it can survive digestion / Angelic assimilation and some kind of weird metaphysical transference from 00's core interior through 01's palms into 01's entry plug.

I forget the exact phrase, but perhaps it's "willed into being" the same way Shinji creates his disembodied plug suit after being absorbed into Unit-01. Of course, it's all speculation... how much of Shinji and/or Rei still physically exist is debatable.

beaverteeth92
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby beaverteeth92 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:43 am

I think the tape player represents Shinji's inability to afford an iPod.

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:28 am

Nope.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:45 pm

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:The cassette player is kept because it was a big part of NGE. Having no cassette player is like having no Unit 01.

Having it originally belonging to Gendo allowed them to use it without conflicting with Cell phones and to show some attachment to his father.

Yeah, giving the player that backstory was a genius stroke of them because, it was cool futuristic stuff in the nineties which makes it perfect to be included in a Sci Fo, but ppl have I-Pods today.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:55 pm

To the above, I'm gonna agree with you. That backstory was genius. Though I, myself, was disappointed with Shinji not getting an IPod in Rebuild. After all the shit he's put up with, an IPod should be enough of a reward for being fucked ten times over.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:29 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:To the above, I'm gonna agree with you. That backstory was genius. Though I, myself, was disappointed with Shinji not getting an IPod in Rebuild. After all the shit he's put up with, an IPod should be enough of a reward for being fucked ten times over.

Yeah... 160 gigabytes, capacity for 40,000 songs... But he only needs room for two. ;)

(Besides, the perfect freedom of a gigantic empty hard drive would probably scare the crap out of him... At least until Asuka is kind enough to partition the drive in half. :smirk: )
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:26 am

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:To the above, I'm gonna agree with you. That backstory was genius. Though I, myself, was disappointed with Shinji not getting an IPod in Rebuild. After all the shit he's put up with, an IPod should be enough of a reward for being fucked ten times over.

I don't think he's sucker for shiny electronic helpers - He didn't even have a phone before he moved to Misato's. Then again, he probably didn't have anyone to phone.
Misato would probably buy him an IPod if he asked for one...

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:55 am

She would do a LOT of things if he asked... :guitarpunk:

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:09 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:She would do a LOT of things if he asked... :guitarpunk:

So, now you'll gonna pay for the brain bleach I'm going to forget that mental Image...

Well, to get back to topic: Did you notice that the player backstory thing was one of the few things about Rebuild that was planned from the start? When we get that flashback of little Shinji crying, 1.X shows us a little glimpse of the player:
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://img543.imageshack.us/i/splq.png/]Image[/URL]

Also, with the addition of Shinji's player, each of the NERV-Children carries a little keepsake of their own now. Rei has her glasses, Shinji his player, and Asuka her Doll.
Mari and Kaworu have no keepsakes we know up - In Kaworu's case, he truly has no connections with the past he needs a symbol of, he's not even wearing clothes most of the time (which also gives an impression of blankness) he really doesn't have anything parent-like.
As for Mari, we don't know anything about her backstory, but we have seen her personality and behavior - she has completely left "mundane" life behind. I doubt there was a school in the arctic ocean. She's obviously living somewhere in Japan after she lands there, but we're not show any domestic situations with her - We don't even see her private clothes, the one time she's not wearing a plugsuit, they put her in an uniform. When Mari steps on the screen, the wheels of fate are turning... I'd say she either doesn't want to remember her past life or doesn't think anything worth remembering happened.

Oh, and on the topic of Asuka's doll: It might be interesting to note that episode 22 shows Chibi!Asuka having picked up one of Kyoko's Dolls, or at least its head:
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://img96.imageshack.us/i/srp.png/]Image[/URL]

Asuka keeping the Doll is no idea new to Rebuilt - in fact, the only difference might've been that the Rebuild!Doll got to keep its head or was left in a state that allowed it to be reatached.
Oh, now I'm imagining little Asuka depressedly sewing the head back on in a corner, sadly whimpering "Don't hate me, Mommy..." :(

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:39 pm

Maybe it's a leap, but you could say that Mari's talisman is her glasses -- the difference being that they're something she physically needs, not a sentimental object. That is of course in contrast to Rei's glasses.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:42 pm

I think it's too early to assign meaning to anything around Mari, except for maybe The Beast.

I covered some of Shinji's SDAT Player in my analysis. I think the SDAT Player carries even greater significance after Rei picks it up from Shinji as it almost symbolizes her changes of alliance from Gendo to Shinji. (She replaces the glasses with the SDAT Player.) Also notice how she only seems to carry them around during battle:

MaskedOmega
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MaskedOmega » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:44 pm

He keeps playing songs 25-26 right? So it is probably just a comparison on how EVA fans have to keep watching episodes 25-26 because they do not understand it.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:18 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I think it's too early to assign meaning to anything around Mari, except for maybe The Beast.

I covered some of Shinji's SDAT Player in my analysis. I think the SDAT Player carries even greater significance after Rei picks it up from Shinji as it almost symbolizes her changes of alliance from Gendo to Shinji. (She replaces the glasses with the SDAT Player.) Also notice how she only seems to carry them around during battle:

We've already adressed this part - I personally think it's less a loyalty shift and more a change of Motivation. In both these instances, Rei risks her life. When she carries the glasses, she does it because its simply her purpose (assigned by Gendo) and because she doesn't think her life matters much. In the second instance, Rei is risking her life for a reason - For Shinji's sake. That she needs a reason to sacrifice it also implies that she regards her life as less worthless by then.
Also, guarding keepsakes is Rei's typical way of showing affection, it accentuates how much Shinji means to her...
And to continue with the keepsake motifs, try to put it in relation to Gendo's little speech at the graveyard about burying Memories and stuff...
Also, he burned all pictures and so on, but probably just left the player lying somewhere - Did Shinji pick it out of the trash (like Rei) or could Gendo not bring himself to dispose of it because it has served as a romantic keepsake before? Probably the former, can't imagine Yui with headphones. Still, it foreshadown how Gendo actually has the same problems as Shinji and also makes one think of how similar to Shinji Gendo used to look when he was younger...
Anyway, keepsake motifs are strong in Rebuild...

As for Mari's Glasses, she doesn't really show any real attachment to them, nor does she comment when they shatter, and she shatters them often - she just needs them to seeXD (Which sort of underlines the animalistic aspec of her - Many animals like dogs etc rely less on sight and more on smell. Also, ppl who are disabled in one sense often develop the others more) Mari's glasses exist mainly for the sake of making her stand out and shatterig dramatically, tough XD - Mari seems to be the "moving forward" sort of person (see her song), not one to dwell on memories.
PS: Did you guys hear about her rudimentary backstory Sadamoto mentioned in his interview? She was once meant to have lots of pets to show how she is pretty idiosyncratic despite having visited a strict, catholic school. They probably dropped the Animals (Much of Mari's character was overhauled several times) as they were part of the soldier like Proto!Mari that lives with Hikari, was at the social center, took poor Asuka's place and hated to live alone (As opposed to our final product who, as lampshaded by Misato, prefers working alone and is rarely seen talking with anyone), but the "strict upbringing/having to hide/repress eccentricies" bit could still very much apply, it could explain how she sees EVA piloting as a liberation, like she was freed from the place where she couldn't be herself by getting involved with project E and so on - hence no keepsakes. With Mari being Mari, it would probably be fine for them to give her no backstory at all, she is, despite being as far as we know, human, a bit of a mysterious sort of character like Kaworu and Rei (Interviews compare her to the former), but that backstory with the strict catholic school would really fit her character very well. Maybe even the pets because bond to nature/animalistic/not good with ppl etc(It might even have been a residential shool because EVA pilots equal parental abandonment. In fact, her father might've put her there after his wife's death (mandatory dead mother) just like Gendo - but that's too much speculation already. ) I DO hope they don't use the "pet tatoos", tough, that would be too Sue-like. IF she has those tatoos, they would be her keepsake, tough, leaving Kaworu as the odd one out. But I really hope they don't use the tattoo. It fit piloting-because-of-severe-reality-soldier-Mari, but not the final one.

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:47 pm

I like the tapes :)
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:56 pm

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:If Evangelion Q has flash backs, then I expect to see Gendo with the cassette player.

I also expect it to switch to tracks 25-26 when(I'm guessing this will stay) Yui gets absorbed by Unit 01.

The former - oh YES. That would be genius. Imagine young, beaten up Gendo with his leather jacket and the player... He already bore a shocking resemblance to Shinji in the original, giving him the player would only help to drive that point home.
The latter - not so much. He discarded it after the Yui incident.

Ricky O
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ricky O » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:30 pm

So, uh, just wondering.

You have an SDAT in LCL.

Is it broken? It's a liquid, isn't it? Those things probably ain't waterproof.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Metaphysical. Shinji was in the Entry Plug (during EoE and 2.0) the entire time, both Third Impact events deal with a lot of the metaphysical for the internal segments of it even as external real world events are happening.

And hi Fei. :3
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”