[DOUJINSHI] Re-Take

Fanfiction, fan art, AMVs, and any other fan creations or Eva-related projects: share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

juaxoo
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 229
Joined: Mar 13, 2011
Location: Daten City

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby juaxoo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:33 pm

sex scenes r awesome i love it when Shinji forces on to Asuka it satisfies something within me... im interested in the story itself as well, the sex scenes r necessary but thats jsut a matter of opinions
but what i believe is everything's got a reason. sex is a big thing, sometimes viewed as unncessary by some, but sometimes little things change things bigly (excuse me for bad grammar)

edit: ok i jsut finished reading retake and i think this is too much about Asuka everything is about Asuka how she feels hoe she thinks etc
this would be better off named "Asuka's Re-take" than just retake. such deep storyline revolving around Asuka

Sik
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 32
Joined: Mar 22, 2011

awsome

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sik » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:20 am

I just fell in love with Asuka as "strong in the outside-tender heart" after Rebuild 2.0 and just saw the whole Retake on youtube and i think its freaking amazing!!, i cried and laught by separately and at the same time. About sex scenes... the first one showing how close A/S became was neccesary the rest dont, but dont really change the plot. Its refreshing to find so well made love stories about that beautiful red haired. :)
The Beast!

MaskedOmega
Adam
Age: 32
Posts: 53
Joined: Apr 17, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MaskedOmega » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:27 pm

I read this a while ago and I have to say this is an amazing doujinshi. It really gave me closure to the EVA series.

Leighton
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 138
Joined: Feb 13, 2011
Location: Asuka's apartment
Gender: Male

Evangelion Re-Take

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Leighton » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:46 am

Yea yea, i've been pretty damn ignorant to have only found out about the evangelion re-take doujin, but after read the first couple of volumes, i've conjured a question.

Why is there hentai?? (not that i disagree with its use)

(MY BAD - SHOULD I HAVE POSTED THIS IN THE EVERYTHING-ELSE SECTION?)

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 51
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion Re-Take

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby symbv » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 am

View Original PostLeighton wrote:Yea yea, i've been pretty damn ignorant to have only found out about the evangelion re-take doujin, but after read the first couple of volumes, i've conjured a question.

Why is there hentai?? (not that i disagree with its use)

(MY BAD - SHOULD I HAVE POSTED THIS IN THE EVERYTHING-ELSE SECTION?)



There is a Re-Take thread in Fandom Area section
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=1743

Perhaps mods could move it there.

The hentai is there to make the doujin sell. Particularly for a thick and expensive doujin (Re-take is divided into 5 volumes, and each volume is 5-8 times the length of a standard doujin), it is hard to sell in large volume. The author clearly loved Eva (particularly Shinji x Asuka relationship) very much but it was not a good idea for him to spend so much effort and nobody buys and reads it.

Re-Take is now sold at a reasonable price only because the original expensive doujin sold at enormous volume (by doujin standard) so subsequent republishing can afford to be sold at much lower price.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 9010
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Evangelion Re-Take

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:57 am

View Original PostLeighton wrote:Why is there hentai?? (not that i disagree with its use)

Because fiction has sex just like real life has sex, and some storytellers like to include more explicit depictions of sex in their works. I think in a lot of cases, it isn't really justified, but on occasion, it really is necessary and reinforces the plot and character development. Kite is a good example of this.

As far as Re-Take is concerned, it definitely isn't porn, but it is pornographic, if you understand the distinction.

If the pornographic elements aren't to your liking, or you feel they're unnecessary, they released a clean version of the series that omits the explicit sex. Although I haven't read the whole thing and compared, so I don't know well it holds up. I'm sure someone else has commented about it in this thread.
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Twitch]

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 51
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion Re-Take

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby symbv » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:33 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:If the pornographic elements aren't to your liking, or you feel they're unnecessary, they released a clean version of the series that omits the explicit sex. Although I haven't read the whole thing and compared, so I don't know well it holds up. I'm sure someone else has commented about it in this thread.


I own the hardcopy of both adult and all-age editions of Re-Take (in fact more than one copies of both -- show how much I love Re-take.. anyway..) and in my opinion the all-age edition is better streamlined because the author reorganized the order of certain scenes, particularly the part of Re-Take 0 which was a long take of Asuka's thinking back of events, and make it easier to understand and follow. Also, though the all-age version cut out all the depiction of explicit sex scenes, the part that Shinji and Asuka had sex was not changed, so the story flow is still the same. In fact I think some of the substitution of the sex scenes by something else (e.g. the locker room scenes) make the story less awkward, imho. This is not surprising given the all-age version was only made because of the tremendous success of the adult version. The author (Kimigabuchi) had time to think over the whole story and made the necessary clarification and editing for better storytelling.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 22877
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: Living in Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:35 am

Also, Kimigabuchi's Circle in general had drawn tons of hentai doujin (Asuka/Shinji or other anime series besides Eva, but his works are usually pretty depressing; He apparently drew some really depressing Negaima doujin and that Azumanga Daioh Drifting Classroom doujin), so Re-Take having hentai in it isn't surprising at all. Although fans did complain enough that the story doesn't NEED sex to make the point across which is why I guess he decided to go back and do All Ages.

Come to think of it, I believe Kimigabuchi's website has been down for awhile and I don't think he's done much in terms of doujin lately...

Anyway, the majority of doujinshi in Japan are hentai-based, whether or not it has a good story behind it. It might suck, but hey, sex sells, especially at Comiket. :tongue:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 51
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby symbv » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:40 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Also, Kimigabuchi's Circle in general had drawn tons of hentai doujin (Asuka/Shinji or other anime series besides Eva, but his works are usually pretty depressing; He apparently drew some really depressing Negaima doujin and that Azumanga Daioh Drifting Classroom doujin)


I bought Kimigabuchi's Negima doujin and had to sell it later because it was so depressing. (and I am a fan of the original manga). I think his Eva Re-Take is one of his most uplifting output....

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Come to think of it, I believe Kimigabuchi's website has been down for awhile and I don't think he's done much in terms of doujin lately...


I wonder what he is doing now...Would be nice to know if he is taking part in any doujin event like Comiket...

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Anyway, the majority of doujinshi in Japan are hentai-based, whether or not it has a good story behind it. It might suck, but hey, sex sells, especially at Comiket. :tongue:


My estimate is that at least 85% of doujin is hentai (i.e. sexually explicit)....
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MaskedOmega
Adam
Age: 32
Posts: 53
Joined: Apr 17, 2011
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion Re-Take

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MaskedOmega » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:50 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I own the hardcopy of both adult and all-age editions of Re-Take (in fact more than one copies of both -- show how much I love Re-take.. anyway..) and in my opinion the all-age edition is better streamlined because the author reorganized the order of certain scenes, particularly the part of Re-Take 0 which was a long take of Asuka's thinking back of events, and make it easier to understand and follow. Also, though the all-age version cut out all the depiction of explicit sex scenes, the part that Shinji and Asuka had sex was not changed, so the story flow is still the same. In fact I think some of the substitution of the sex scenes by something else (e.g. the locker room scenes) make the story less awkward, imho. This is not surprising given the all-age version was only made because of the tremendous success of the adult version. The author (Kimigabuchi) had time to think over the whole story and made the necessary clarification and editing for better storytelling.


If it is easier to understand the story in the all ages version then I will have to read it. I was kind of confused with the story and when I was reading some of the posts here they were mentioning stuff that I do not even remember being mentioned/implied in the story.

evafanatic
Adam
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 51
Joined: Jan 13, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby evafanatic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 pm

I just finished reading re-take and I agree with MaskedOmega that I got kind of confused throughout the story. Despite that however, it is a pretty damn entertaining doujinshi(and no, it wasn't because of the sex scenes) and provided a decent amount of closure.

I do have a few gripes with it which include:
*Rei - wtf did they do to Rei ?!? :???:
*too many sex scenes - even though they were pretty well drawn :) , I thought there were WAY too many sex scenes that were superfluous and it just made it seem like they were sex addicts; and no, I didn't know about the all-age version at the time(damn my ignorance) :( .

Anyway, despite the flaws(nothing's perfect anyway) it was quite a pleasant read-through.

Oh, I'm curious as well, how popular is Re-take in Japan?

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul
Age: 23
Posts: 664
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
Location: Somewhere over the rainbo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby tehprognoob » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:18 am

Sex addiction is a main theme, lol. Shinji, at the very end, thinks that he's dirty and "low" because seeing Asuka=boner. (Can't blame him!) And Asuka's just going along letting him have his way, so yeah, random sex all around. The sexathon before arael's attack is also probably reflecting on Misato's week-long sex session with Kaji.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 51
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby symbv » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:38 am

View Original Postevafanatic wrote:I just finished reading re-take and I agree with MaskedOmega that I got kind of confused throughout the story. Despite that however, it is a pretty damn entertaining doujinshi(and no, it wasn't because of the sex scenes) and provided a decent amount of closure.


Re-Take brought me closure indeed, and I will always thank it for that.

All-age version was clearer on the story line but it is still quite complex.

View Original Postevafanatic wrote:I do have a few gripes with it which include:
*Rei - wtf did they do to Rei ?!? :???:


This is usually the biggest criticism brought against Re-Take. The story basically sacrifice Rei in favor of focusing on Shinji x Asuka relationship.

View Original Postevafanatic wrote:*too many sex scenes - even though they were pretty well drawn :) , I thought there were WAY too many sex scenes that were superfluous and it just made it seem like they were sex addicts; and no, I didn't know about the all-age version at the time(damn my ignorance) :( .


As explained in my previous post, the sex scenes were there to sell the doujin. I also thought some were superfluous. The all-age version did not shy away from the sex between Shinji and Asuka but it did not show the acts explicitly. 


View Original Postevafanatic wrote:Oh, I'm curious as well, how popular is Re-take in Japan?


It is the legend of Eva doujin. Very rarely did adult doujin get all-age treatment, and both versions are still in print and quite available after all these years. This shows the popularity of this doujin.
Last edited by symbv on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JimmyWolk
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Age: 38
Posts: 603
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: here
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby JimmyWolk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:26 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I wonder what he is doing now...

http://www.google.com/#q=super+dreadnought+girl+4946&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=7c1a13eee0c8cf22&hl=en
Sorry for the google link, but there seems to be surprisingly little outside of manga reader sites.

1731298478
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Posts: 310
Joined: Nov 01, 2010
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby 1731298478 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Usually I don't read Eva doujinshi, but after seeing this thread, and especially symbv's comments, I felt like I had to read Re-Take. I read the all-ages version (I'm not sure how I feel about adult Eva doujinshi).

It's impressive and very beautifully drawn. It was an easy read, and I couldn't help feeling emotional while reading it, especially during the wedding scene, the airport scene, and the scene at the end in Germany.

The main complaint is with Rei's portrayal, but I was impressed by it. I don't think it diverged from the lines of the development indicated by Anno in EoE. The references to the manga were also striking. For some reason or other, the scene where Rei brings Shinji newspapers to fold especially stayed in my mind.

The treatment of Kaworu was, for me, a bit disappointing ^^; That's very understandable, though.

Well, I can understand how such a work can heal the wounds of Eva for many people. Because Eva probably inflicted many different sorts of wounds overall, it would be hard to heal all of them, and maybe impossible. Maybe some of them aren't worth healing, and maybe some of them would never heal. Still, from the physician's perspective, I imagine, it's impressive and a good start even to heal one wound.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 51
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby symbv » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 pm

^ I am very happy that you like RE-TAKE, 1731298478 :thumbsup:
Did you read in original Japanese?

Your comments are very much on spot -- it does heal wounds for many a fans and there are too many scenes that would could become iconic moments if it were ever animated (almost nil chance though) -- wedding scene, Shinji & Asuka & her baby under a tree, and of course the scene when Asuka made her lasting vow to Shinji in German (whence my avatar came)

The closeness of the drawing of the characters to the original anime/manga character design is a big plus. As is how close it follows the world and concepts as developed in EoTV/EoE.

Of course doujin will never attain any canon status but to me I will always treat it as good as canon.....
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:01 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Your comments are very much on spot -- it does heal wounds for many a fans and there are too many scenes that would could become iconic moments if it were ever animated (almost nil chance though) -- wedding scene, Shinji & Asuka & her baby under a tree, and of course the scene when Asuka made her lasting vow to Shinji in German (whence my avatar came)


Hmmm. I am of two minds on this; on the one hand, I am left wondering why wounds need to be healed, as NGE did not wound me. In the eyes of some it should have, given Asuka's fate and the general assassination of Shinji's character, but I felt such things were both necessary and essential for proper development of both characters. How could I complain, when the material is so useful?

But on the other hand, I am forced to admit that the attitude is predicated on the assumption that what comes after is good and positive, something which is most definitely not part of the show. If you look at the show itself you don't have that, and in that context...yeah, wounds make sense. We are left hanging, with our protagonists grievously wounded, so if we sympathize with them at all how can that not pass to us in some capacity?

I enjoy Re-Take because it addresses those characters. It gives us an AU, which is fine, but that is not its resolution, and not what makes it such a fine work. It is that fact that it says "yes, this is an Asuka, and she is an example of what might have happened had I done things right, but she is not my Asuka, the one I hurt, the one I betrayed, the one who rejected me. She is not the one to whom I am ultimately accountable. And that is why I have to go back." Re-Take is a fine work because it rejects the standard AU/fixfic interpretation and instead uses those things as props to develop the original characters (both of them) in interesting, productive ways. To that end I think it's an awful lot of fluff used to develop a bare smidgen of actual content, which is somewhat unfortunate. But that actual content is pure gold, and thus makes the whole damn trip worthwhile.

And, once it's done, Re-Take gives us the AU sans the Peggy Sue nonsense, which is really cute. You don't see that very often. It is so good and so pure that I cannot find the slightest bit of fault with it, even though it has nothing to do with NGE proper.

I think I've said these things before, but I don't care, because they're true, damn it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

1731298478
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Posts: 310
Joined: Nov 01, 2010
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby 1731298478 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:26 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:^ I am very happy that you like RE-TAKE, 1731298478 :thumbsup:
Did you read in original Japanese?

Unfortunately, just the all ages scan + English translation.
But I definitely want to read the original version at some point.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Your comments are very much on spot -- it does heal wounds for many a fans and there are too many scenes that would could become iconic moments if it were ever animated (almost nil chance though) -- wedding scene, Shinji & Asuka & her baby under a tree, and of course the scene when Asuka made her lasting vow to Shinji in German (whence my avatar came)

Of course doujin will never attain any canon status but to me I will always treat it as good as canon.....

It really shows you the passion fans felt towards Eva.
As far as the Asuka/Shinji relationship goes, I thought everything towards the end was really well done. I think imagery like that, even though it only depicts natural or "ordinary" events, becomes very affecting in the light of the trajectory of the series.
It's an impressive work.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Hmmm. I am of two minds on this; on the one hand, I am left wondering why wounds need to be healed, as NGE did not wound me. In the eyes of some it should have, given Asuka's fate and the general assassination of Shinji's character, but I felt such things were both necessary and essential for proper development of both characters. How could I complain, when the material is so useful?

But on the other hand, I am forced to admit that the attitude is predicated on the assumption that what comes after is good and positive, something which is most definitely not part of the show. If you look at the show itself you don't have that, and in that context...yeah, wounds make sense. We are left hanging, with our protagonists grievously wounded, so if we sympathize with them at all how can that not pass to us in some capacity?

I don't fully understand why I was wounded, but, for myself, I strongly empathized with symbv's words about Eva's conclusion. I also drifted away from Eva for many years because of it. I thought, as well, that Anno had intended that. Part of it is the feeling of being cut off suddenly and violently from characters with which you deeply empathized. I think at the same time I felt that the cut was not complete, and there was a kind of "phantom limb" which remained... Another part of it, I think, is the "end-of-the-world" feeling of the conclusion. In Re-Take, not only is Instrumentality stopped in the "dream world" but we are given an unambiguously positive interpretation of the end of EoE. Maybe this is therapeutic; I feel like there is something truly haunting about Anno's treatment of Instrumentality, not only in EoE but also in Rebuild and maybe especially in EoTV.

MaskedOmega
Adam
Age: 32
Posts: 53
Joined: Apr 17, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MaskedOmega » Sun May 01, 2011 1:41 pm

So I just finished reading re-take again and I have some questions.

So what was EoE Asuka trying to accomplish by talking with Shinji throughout the whole doujin? Was she messing with him because she is Asuka, but what she really wants is for Shinji to return back to EoE with her?

Also, what was this talk about Asuka getting an abortion near the beginning of after? I remember them talking about the surgery, but when did she get pregnant? Was this the same baby that was an angel that ate her mind? When the angel returned her mind, did she also go back inside of Asuka?

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 512
Joined: Apr 29, 2011
Location: Survivor Colony Somewhere
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Someone » Mon May 02, 2011 7:57 am

Right, what I want to know is: is this fancomic worth reading?
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.


Return to “Fandom Area”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 1 guest