WTF is with Kaworu and Asuka (shipping)?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:03 pm

View Original PostFire_Flower wrote:Oh, come on guys this pairing makes no sense whatsoever,

It makes more sense than Asuka/Touji, and they hooked up in the alternate live action. Consider base compatibility. Asuka is a bitch, Kaworu is a douche. Kaworu is the only one who would put up with her shit.

View Original PostFire_Flower wrote:-They dont have any interaction in the anime

True, but the anime is just one part of the franchise. They have more interaction in the various manga series, NGE, GOS2, ISIK, Datenroku, and even Petit Eva. Not to mention various video games, fan fiction, etc.

Fire_Flower
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fire_Flower » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:29 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:It makes more sense than Asuka/Touji, and they hooked up in the alternate live action. Consider base compatibility. Asuka is a bitch, Kaworu is a douche. Kaworu is the only one who would put up with her shit.

I agree that Asuka/Touji makes no sense and Kaworu/Asuka doesnt make any more sense either.
No he wouldn't he would probably just ignore her completely

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:True, but the anime is just one part of the franchise. They have more interaction in the various manga series, NGE, GOS2, ISIK, Datenroku, and even Petit Eva. Not to mention various video games, fan fiction, etc.

Didnt I mention the manga too, plus the spin-offs dont count at all, and what's the point of discussing this, is obvious in Rebuild Kaworu is gonna die, and Asuka will "probably" end up with Shinji, so end of story

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 pm

View Original PostFire_Flower wrote:plus the spin-offs dont count at all

Sir, that is a bit unfair of you to say. They may not be as good as the proper anime, however they do have enjoyable moments in them, and I enjoy seeing Kaworu and Asuka interact with each other more than they did in the anime, which they would have if Anno had followed the orginal concept, which would have introduced Kaworu a few episodes earlier, like in the manga.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:53 pm

View Original PostFire_Flower wrote:No he wouldn't he would probably just ignore her completely

What in the series makes you think that Kaworu is the type of person to ignore people? He's just as much of a social retard as Rei, but merely extroverted; the concept of ignoring probably doesn't even phase him.

And unlike Shinji, if Kaworu ever developed feelings for Asuka, which he would because he's Kaworu, he would be completely open about it, like he was with Shinji.

Since the problem with the Shinji/Asuka pairing is that neither of them confess their feelings, Kaworu doing so with Asuka would seal the deal, that is, if Asuka ever felt anything back; it worked with Shinji. One of the primary reasons Shinji feels so attached to Kaworu is because Kaworu actually showed him true compassion and expressed sincere emotion. The same is plausible for Kaworu and Asuka.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:47 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:The same is plausible for Kaworu and Asuka.
That school of A/S shipper who justifies it on the grounds that "but they're so alike" should easily see A/K working exactly as S/K using the same reasoning.

Or if you consider Kaworu's function to be to seduce and thereby break a merely human pilot (or letting them seduce themselves to the same end), then whoever presents themselves works by definition.

>Asuka/Touji makes no sense

Actually, the more I think about it, the more depressingly plausible their on-and-off-again fuckbuddy relationship in the alternate live action sequence becomes. OTOH I don't think it's the stuff of fanfics as the romance quotient would be zero -- just a lot of mutually exploitative itch-scratching and dull familiarity.

---

PS -- this vid is cute http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNHYVZsHb4s -- lots of nice colour work on manga frames.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:59 am

Asuka/Kaworu is pretty cool, IMO.

But only if Shinji and Rei are coupled already.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:01 pm

evafanatic
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby evafanatic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Well that was an interesting(and quite amusing) read. All I can say is that this pairing isn't as weird as people make it sound, and I think they would get along quite decently.

and lol @ Rei holding a baby angel! That made my day :clap:

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:31 pm

That was actually quite well written. Although a Kaworu (or should I say, Cow-roo) and Asuka relationship would be unexpected, it actually makes sense. Although, I can't help but think the same with the R/S relationship: what of the children?
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Meh, I wouldn't consider Asuka X Kaworu to be a weird pairing. However, it has NOTHING on Shinji X Gendo! That's my pairing of choice and I'm sticking with it!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

evafanatic
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby evafanatic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote: However, it has NOTHING on Shinji X Gendo!
I like your taste son :thumbsup:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:54 pm

While I can see how fans like Asuka/Kaworu, I'm somewhat interested in the dynamics of Asuka/Shinji/Kaworu. (That probably sounds wrong and I don't exactly mean kink, but there is that too.) Probably not the thread for it, but there is how Kaworu (and Rei) represent Ideal/Instrumentality versus Asuka being Real/Reality...well, one way of looking at the series in terms of how Shinji relates to the other characters.

But anyway, people are free to pair whoever they want, and I agree that Asuka/Kaworu would be cuter and work better than Asuka/Toji. Hell, I actually translated a dou--OH MY GOD EM YOU LINKED TO THAT. :derp: I really need to work on 2002 Part A soon.

Your article made me smirk, I enjoyed it. Kudos to you, good sir. :tiphat:

By the way, it probably doesn't bother you, but that Asuka figure is technically Shikinami, not Soryu.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:05 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:By the way, it probably doesn't bother you, but that Asuka figure is technically Shikinami, not Soryu.

Yeah, I know. I wasn't speaking specifically about original series Asuka and Kaworu, just the characters in general.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:54 am

Clearly AsukaxKaworu is the OTP.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:23 am

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:Clearly AsukaxKaworu is the OTP.

While I really like Asuka/Kaworu, I think the OTP should be Touji/Hikari.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:38 am

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:Clearly AsukaxKaworu is the OTP.

Incorrect! ShinjiXGendo is the OTP!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:43 am

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:Incorrect! ShinjiXGendo is the OTP!

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:43 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:http://www.evamonkey.com/the-asuka-kaworu-pairing/

*casually walks away*

Hah, this is probably the only Asuka/Kaworu argument I've read that makes any sense. Nice job.

That being said, I still don't like the pairing because I feel so strongly about Asuka/Shinji. The show makes it pretty obvious that this is what is supposed to happen and I think it works well because while they might seem very different at first, they actually have a lot of the same problems and complement each other quite nicely. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed when I realized Rebuild doesn't seem to care about Asuka/Shinji at all.

Jessemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:37 pm

I completely disagree with his Asuka/Shinji argument (mostly the differences part), but other than that I liked it.

Also, whadda bout Kensuke??
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:16 pm

View Original PostJessemon wrote:Also, whadda bout Kensuke??

IMO, Kensuke belongs with Mari. And/or Mayumi. But Mari's a better match due to their love of Eva units. And glasses attract glasses. :tongue:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”