Which character do you empathize with the most?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:People have empathy for Rei for the same reason people have empathy for HAL in 2001:ASO. We start off by recognizing they're either not human (HAL) or a very strange humanlike entity (Rei), and they slowly reveal to us a deeper humanity than what's on the surface of any technical definition of what constitutes a human.

I dun get it (even though I sympathize for Rei). Do you mean that, because she isn't human, she is a human? I might need some explaining.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

BrokenEva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BrokenEva » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:46 pm

a mix between toji, kensuke, and Shinji
Evangelion 2.0 was AMAZING!!!

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Oddly enough, Shinji Ikari, because he always gets a lot of flak from everyone both in-story and in the fanbase no matter what incarnation he's in.

God, the kid can't catch a break.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:28 am

View Original PostStryker wrote:I dun get it (even though I sympathize for Rei). Do you mean that, because she isn't human, she is a human? I might need some explaining.
I'd say it speaks to the difference between first impressions VS last impressions. You might look at, say, The Elephant Man and recoil in horror, but those who got to know him spoke of his deep humanity. I think Rei's "oddness" makes us initially think of her as something different, not quite human, and there's a mysterious distance there. But when we get to know her we realize that the things she feels, the psychological crap she's dealing with, is the same as us, so we identify with a humanity in her that's deeper than our initial, more superficial, impressions. Going back to HAL, it's obvious he's a machine, yet when he starts pleading for his life, fighting for survival, and singing a song to assuage his fear of death, it reminds us of our own humanity.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

Re: Which character do you empathize with the most?

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 am

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:Which character, in your opinion, do you feel you relate to the most?

Shinji, without a doubt. Asuka is the one I sympathize the most though.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:18 am

I can empathize with Shinji within terms of him having to deal with females, so I can also empathize with the females he lives with. I was the second oldest child in my family and my older sister was 9 years older than me. I remember her being a 13 or 14-year-old when I was about 5 and being utterly confused over her whole growing up phases. (Being a 5-year-old male witnessing a 14-year-old girl going through puberty with no one in-between in age to bridge the gap was interesting.) And, of course, she's in her early 30's now. So I can see parts of my older sister in aspects of both Asuka's and Misato's story throughout the TV series.

GoGoGengar
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoGoGengar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:05 pm

I'd have to say Ikari Shinji-kun

Theshiggityshwa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Theshiggityshwa » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Asuka...
Self Isolation from society is the biggest parallel she and I have. Being alone or cut off is the scariest thing to me. Especially when it's your fault if you end up in that state of being.
Pursue happiness...
With Diligence...

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:51 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I'd say it speaks to the difference between first impressions VS last impressions. You might look at, say, The Elephant Man and recoil in horror, but those who got to know him spoke of his deep humanity. I think Rei's "oddness" makes us initially think of her as something different, not quite human, and there's a mysterious distance there. But when we get to know her we realize that the things she feels, the psychological crap she's dealing with, is the same as us, so we identify with a humanity in her that's deeper than our initial, more superficial, impressions. Going back to HAL, it's obvious he's a machine, yet when he starts pleading for his life, fighting for survival, and singing a song to assuage his fear of death, it reminds us of our own humanity.

I understand you now. I have that problem too.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:17 am

I don't know what sparked it, but I've been viewing Rei in more of a sympathetic light recently. Born for only one purpose and surrounded by things she will never fully understand. It's all rather sad isn't it?
Last edited by Trajan on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:24 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I don't what sparked it, but I've been viewing Rei in more of a sympathetic light recently. Born for only one purpose and surrounded by things she will never fully understand. It's all rather sad isn't it?

On mah wall 'o posts. But.. if thats why your sympathetic for her, would you be sympathetic for Naoko and Ritsuko as well (despite that they understand things)?
The Moats of Quotes

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:32 am

No, because both of them go bat-shit crazy and kill Rei (or in Ritsuko's case Rei's clones). At least Naoko had the decency to kill herself immediately afterward but Ritsuko decides to blow everyone up and take them with her (or at least attempts to). I understand where they're coming from but I can't be entirely sympathetic to them considering their actions. Besides Naoko probably had some involvement in Second Impact too.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:33 am

Very well. You know my reasons for being sympathetic.
The Moats of Quotes

pen-pen
Tunniel
Tunniel

Which character do see yourself as; or relate to the most?

•      
  •      

Postby pen-pen » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:38 pm

This may have been posted... If it has, please move as required.

Personally, the character I see myself as: is Shinji- not merely because I'm a guy, but because 'what' he went through during his adolescent years... the peer pressure, not being able to fit in... longing to become someone important... or a hero... sexual feelings or frustrations etc...

I guess that's one of the reason I love this anime so much.... the excellent Bio-Mechas are a pleasant plus!
BOOMZ!

ScottAsher
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ScottAsher » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:20 am

I can relate to Shinji in quite literally his entire personality. The fact he has an avoidant personality, feels like no one cares for him, that everyone secretly hates him, and that he's scared one day all his friends will betray and forget him. I feel the same exact way, even though I acknowledge there are some people that will most likely never leave me. No matter what, I fear they're just going to betray me one day. I've had it happen with a lot of people before too, so yeah. I also have parental issues too, though different things happened with me.

pen-pen
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby pen-pen » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 am

View Original PostScottAsher wrote:I can relate to Shinji in quite literally his entire personality. The fact he has an avoidant personality, feels like no one cares for him, that everyone secretly hates him, and that he's scared one day all his friends will betray and forget him. I feel the same exact way, even though I acknowledge there are some people that will most likely never leave me. No matter what, I fear they're just going to betray me one day. I've had it happen with a lot of people before too, so yeah. I also have parental issues too, though different things happened with me.

I believe nearly all of us goes through those phases in our lives..... some just have it easier, others more difficult or complex...
BOOMZ!

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Asami Sato » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:10 am

I empathize with them all: poor Shinji has been neglected by his family his entire life, Rei is an artificial being searching for self worth and meaning, and Asuka is so damaged, you feel sorry for her even after all the bullying she does to Shinji and Rei. And don't get me started with Ritsuko, poor, poor Ritsuko.
Avatar: Princess Azula, the sociopathic badass sexy bitch that will kill you by just glaring at your face.
When I get a boyfriend: "Together, we will be the strongest couple in the world! We will DOMINATE THE EARTH!"
"Zuzu! You don't look so good!"
"I support the shipping of TDSA and Aiko Heiwa." - Defectron

Sahara
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sahara » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:41 pm

I hardcore relate to Asuka. The “I don’t want to die” scene never fails to elicit an emotional response from me.

Her feeling that piloting the EVA (and being damn good at it) defines her existence is really similar to how I feel about my schoolwork. I have a reputation for being a top-notch student, and I used to stake my self-worth in my grades. So when I failed, or felt like I wasn’t working hard enough because I had other things (mostly emotional issues) on my mind, I would fall into depression. Just like Asuka did after her encounter with Areal. Her obnoxious attitude is just a way of coping—it’s evidence of suffering. I can relate to that also, to an extent. I never react conventionally when I’m upset. I just cover it up, mostly.

Oh my goodness, I almost forgot about Ritsuko. Her emotional woes really hit me hard. :(

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:26 am

Shinji and Asuka mostly for their family issues.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

FriedlCore
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FriedlCore » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:12 am

It's Asuka. Not only for her german origin but for her lived "Weltschmerz" we seem to have an affinity for.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”