Unit 02: Why Four Eyes?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

Unit 02: Why Four Eyes?

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:13 pm

(Note: This has probably been asked before but it never hurts to ask a question twice so...)

I've never really understood this...I mean Unit 01 has 2 eyes and Unit 00 has one (or I think that's what that's suppose to be, Wiki says it's an optical lens so :shrug:) but then all of a sudden we get 4 on Unit 02?? Is there a meaning behind this or is it the animators having fun?? I looked on the wiki but there was really anything about it there about it. (It just says it has four eye, nothing else :ehh:)

zuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby zuka » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:04 pm

I imagine if there's a canonical reason it's just explaining away the fact that it looks awesome
Eva is the only anime I've ever watched, so I'm sorry if I don't get your jokes.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:23 pm

Unit 00 actually has two eyes, it's just that there's only one viewport in the helmet. As to why Unit 02 has four - technically speaking the green things aren't its eyes, just the cameras the pilot normally uses to see with. However, whenever it berserks or semi-berserks it can be seen to have four eyes (resembling Unit 01's eyeslits in form) underneath the four cameras...so I don't know. I guess someone at Gainax (or Nerv-Germany if you like) thought it looked cool.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:28 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:As to why Unit 02 has four - technically speaking the green things aren't its eyes, just the cameras the pilot normally uses to see with. However, whenever it berserks or semi-berserks it can be seen to have four eyes (resembling Unit 01's eyeslits in form) underneath the four cameras...so I don't know. I guess someone at Gainax (or Nerv-Germany if you like) thought it looked cool.

Yeah and the fact that they confirm it in EoE when the Mass Production Eva's rip it to shreds... :harpy_liplick:

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:28 pm

It's been occasionally suggested (with no actual evidence) that the number of eyes has something to do with the Seele emblem:

Unit-00 (1 eye) + Unit-01 (2 eyes) + Unit-02 (4 eyes) = 7 eyes, the same number as on the Seele emblem. Short of someone on the Eva staff confirming that this is intentional, there doesn't seem to be any way of proving it.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:37 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Short of someone on the Eva staff confirming that this is intentional, there doesn't seem to be any way of proving it.

Then I now declare this thread: THE "WHO CAN COME UP WITH THE BEST THEORY BEHIND UNIT 02'S FOUR EYES" THREAD!!

POST AWAY! :asuka_thumbsup:

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:39 pm

View Original Postcd603 wrote:Then I now declare this thread: THE "WHO CAN COME UP WITH THE BEST THEORY BEHIND UNIT 02'S FOUR EYES" THREAD!!

POST AWAY! :asuka_thumbsup:

it has two eyes but wears glasses
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:40 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:It's been occasionally suggested (with no actual evidence) that the number of eyes has something to do with the Seele emblem:

Unit-00 (1 eye) + Unit-01 (2 eyes) + Unit-02 (4 eyes) = 7 eyes, the same number as on the Seele emblem. Short of someone on the Eva staff confirming that this is intentional, there doesn't seem to be any way of proving it.

I suppose, but how do Unit-03 and Unit-04 fit into that?

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:50 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:it has two eyes but wears glasses

glad to see someone caught that...

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:34 pm

I feel like it's probably the same reason they decided to make 01 purple and 00 white. That is, none in particular aside from cool looking designs.

But if you want to fanwank it, I suppose you could say that they made each Eva differently to test all kinds of different designs and make future units better, or something like that.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:04 pm

View Original Postrhfxz1s wrote:I feel like it's probably the same reason they decided to make 01 purple and 00 white.
I've often wondered if the decision to make 01 purple was just serendipitous, considering that purple is the color you get when you mix blue and red, which just happens to be the colors associated with Asuka and Rei, and, metaphorically, the choice that Shinji is forced to make. The theme of being stuck in the middle between two streams is a general motif in the series.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I've often wondered if the decision to make 01 purple was just serendipitous, considering that purple is the color you get when you mix blue and red, which just happens to be the colors associated with Asuka and Rei, and, metaphorically, the choice that Shinji is forced to make. The theme of being stuck in the middle between two streams is a general motif in the series.

It also gives you Misato's hair color - an early hint as to Unit 01's relationship to Shinji. And Yui, as the idealized mother figure, also strikes something of a middle ground between Asuka's other and Rei's false mother.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Kodaemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kodaemon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:43 pm

Sadamoto comments in Der Mond how he originally drew the various Eva designs in white, but thought it made them look like Gundams or Patlabors no matter how interesting the designs were. So that's where the concept of a different colour for each Eva comes from. Don't ask me what that means for the MPEs.
just a signature

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:47 pm

Everything looks unique with a dick head.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:58 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:It also gives you Misato's hair color - an early hint as to Unit 01's relationship to Shinji. And Yui, as the idealized mother figure, also strikes something of a middle ground between Asuka's other and Rei's false mother.

Eh? Misato has black hair. The intent (or so it appears) was to render her with blue-black hair, which shows up on real people. If you catch it in the right light it actually does look kinda blue (do a Google image search, scroll past the obvious dye jobs, and you'll see a few good examples. There's a wikipedia page on the topic, too).

And people should go watch 21' again (around the 14'46" mark in my copy). Unit 00 has far more than one eye; looks like five in front and four on top to me, with lenses covering both groups.
Last edited by Bagheera on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kodaemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kodaemon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:17 am

Edited with screenshots.

Gendo refers to it as Unit 00, but I'm not entirely sure it's not one of the failed prototypes, which are shown with various different lens configurations in EoE.

just a signature

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:24 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:It also gives you Misato's hair color - an early hint as to Unit 01's relationship to Shinji. And Yui, as the idealized mother figure, also strikes something of a middle ground between Asuka's other and Rei's false mother.

I think you're taking this a bit too far...

zuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby zuka » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:57 am

View Original PostKodaemon wrote:Image

Holy crap, I'd never noticed the skull one before. That is incredibly, incredibly creepy
Eva is the only anime I've ever watched, so I'm sorry if I don't get your jokes.

Jessemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:21 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:I suppose, but how do Unit-03 and Unit-04 fit into that?

They don't need too. We never actually see Unit 04, and Unit 03 is only around for 2 episodes (though I think we only actually see it in the 2nd) and is becomes an angel and is destroyed before it does anything.

For all intents and purposes, Unit 00-02 are the only true Evas we see throughout the TV series, so it makes sense that the artist might slip in the whole 7 eye thing. It doesn't mean it has any relevance whatsoever to the narrative. It's just a clever aesthetic choice by the artist IMO.
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:36 am

I made up an explanation to cover the four eyes, blue skin, and indigo-colored blood in one go -- for no reason other than to amuse myself, of course.

Basically, Kyoko was some sort of ultra-eccentric bioengineer who was designing completely artificial proteins and having trouble finding takers. A military deal fell through, and she ended up at Gehirn instead, "improving" the Eva genome with her delightful creations. The proteins were basically targeted toward optimizing particular physiological processes -- the sorts that would have made awesome soldiers even better, and presumably would work just as well on a cloned super-human intended for combat.

While Kyoko had more or less perfected the integration of her proteins into standard animal test subjects, the Eva genome didn't respond quite as well to tinkering, and every single attempt to grow Eva-02 was plagued by weird mutations like body parts splitting all over the place. The most usable clone had four eyes, and the other mutations were amenable to simple surgery.

One of Kyoko's creations was an enhanced blood cell with an artificial blue protein (not IRL copper-based hemocyanin -- but damned if I know how the Kyoko version functions), which existed alongside the usual erythrocytes (RBCs) and gave Eva-02's blood its distinctive indigo color. The Eva's bluish-gray skin doesn't seem to be a direct result of the blood (or else those huge vulva eyes would look more purply than pink; who the fuck knows), so maybe whatever pigment colors the blood is in the skin, as well. Yeah, sure, why not.

As pointless as that all sounds, indigo-colored blood with unpredictable bioengineered properties has all sorts of interesting applications. For instance, did you know that routine administration via the alimentary canal can result in pituitary dysfunction, nymphomania, and sterility?
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”