ANN review of 2.22 BD

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Xard
Banned

ANN review of 2.22 BD

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:40 pm

Bottom line:

Evangelion 2.22 is one of the rare anime movies that is as much an event as it is a movie. It is a glorious and exciting redefinition of the original series which strikes new ground without sacrificing the depth, drama, intensity, or humor which helped make the TV series the enduring classic that it is. At times it feels like it is rushing things a little, and certainly those who have not seen the TV series will not get quite as much out of it, but it delivers wonderfully on everything that it is supposed to do. The final post-credits scene and Next Movie preview will only drive fans into a frenzy over the all-new content of the as-yet-unscheduled third movie, and as anime franchises go, that's never a Bad Thing.

The review

With BD out I guess many more reviews start to roll in now so maybe we'd need topic for "official" ones?

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:15 pm

that's a pretty complimentary review considering all the haters out there
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:23 pm

It shouldn't come as a surprise, given their high praise for the 1.11 BD.
Voluntary Illusion.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Theron Martin seems like an easy guy to please, but I'm not complaining; he's one of the better, and certainly one of the most personable, writers ANN has working for them. Also, we are partners in liking the Eva dub amidst a world of haters (including his boss).
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:31 pm

EvangelionFan wrote:It shouldn't come as a surprise, given their high praise for the 1.11 BD.
^yeah, but they seem to be the only "big" English-written publication that does not have a "but...this and this is wrong and/or silly", "WTF Mari, who is she?!", "why is Anno even doing this? what's the point?", etc., peppered somewhere

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:44 pm

You mean the only major English-language publication that attempts to assess products with some semblance of objectivity instead of cramming each article full of fanboy ranting/raving?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:59 pm

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:that's a pretty complimentary review considering all the haters out there

What? He should add extra criticisms because some people disagree with him? He's not responsible for what anyone else thinks of the film.

The entire review is spot-on, by the way. :tiphat:

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:06 pm

^well no, that would be silly, and would eat away at whatever personality or point of view the writer originally had, and that whole censorship thing
View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:You mean the only major English-language publication that attempts to assess products with some semblance of objectivity instead of cramming each article full of fanboy ranting/raving?
pretty much :nod:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:52 pm

Nice to see one of the ANN forum-members clarified that 2.0 had some Karekano pieces in there, heh.

Good review, I don't have much else to say.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:03 pm

That was a good review and I agree with it.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:53 am

I almost wish they would've panned it so we could see you-know-who ranting like a madman on the ANN forums.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:58 am

Justin Sevakis's original is fine too

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:that's a pretty complimentary review considering all the haters out there

Don't confuse hardcore fan audience (us, namely) with that of anime viewing public as a whole. I've read two dozen reviews of film over time and they've been universally very positive with few overhyping ones and few negative ones.

The perspective one gets from here is quite twisted.

Rebuild really is a flagship project for the damn industry as it has brought best of the best in the industry to work on it in general. Needless to say negative voices in Japan are few indeed.

Raito-kun is one of the most knowledgeable bloggers on the industry and animation know-how and I think his review of Rebuild is the best one I've read. Eva is retelling legendary (in Japan) story with the top notch, superb production values barely ever seen in the industry.

Quite frankly it would be downright bizarre if Rebuild wasn't grand success in its country of origin, which in the end is the only market that matters

(On 2chan the biggest complaint thread is about handling of Asuka and that's it. Go figure)

As for the technical side of Eva 2.0, it really reflects the absolutely awesome line-up of artists working for Studio Khara. Beginning with Hideaki Anno, Kazuya Tsurumaki and Masayuki, whose directing is on a level hardly ever seen in Japanese animation, with powerful visuals and measured scene compositions leaving no space for declining excitement. I don’t know if they handled the layout process themselves like they did with Eva 1.0 (where the three directors supervised the layouts), but it certainly looks that way as the shots and perspectives are that intriguing. This time many famous directors created the storyboard, including Hideaki Anno, Kazuya Tsurumaki, Masayuki, Shinji Higuchi, Junichi Sato (Aria, Princess Tutu, Kaleido Star, etc.), Masaki Tachibana (Tokyo Magnitude 8.0), Soichi Masui (Scrapped Princess) and Sayo Yamamoto (Michiko to Hatchin), who did great work in setting the basic mood without anything feeling out of place. Noteworthy are also the two art directors Hiroshi Kato and Tatsuya Kushida who did an amazing job in creating the beautiful art and scenery of the movie. Together with the large line-up of skilled designers (Anno, Tsurumaki, Mahiro Maeda, Takeshi Honda, Atsushi Okuda, Shunji Suzuki, Shoichi Masuo and Hidenori Matsubara among others, what shows how deeply involved the directors were in the project) they gave the Eva world profound and substantial aesthetics that make the movie a real work of art.

The animation itself is nothing less than spectacular and sometimes even beyond imagination, the animation directors paid high attention to create lots of exciting and believable movement, be it for the action sequences or the calmer scenes. The character acting is overall very convincing though not quite on the level of Ghibli or Satoshi Kon‘s movies, sometimes I felt that they consciously took a shortcut to save some troubles. But then again, in some scenes I was amazed at how sensitively the animation expressed the characters’ nature, be it the lively body language of Mari, the prideful and dominant presence of Asuka or the felicitous depiction of Rei’s reserved personality.
It’s hard to describe the epic battle scenes with words as they were realized with a care for details, realism and complexity not often seen before in anime (with Asuka vs. the MP Angels in End of Evangelion being pretty much the only comparable sequence), a truly unique cinematic experience with some shots that have never been attempted that way since they can’t be created in the usual boundaries of TV animation. You can clearly see Anno‘s influence in the battle scenes as nobody can match him in depicting action on a grand scale, that and Masayuki‘s fine sense for spectacularly choreographed and fast-paced action leads to a stunning and powerful mix that draws the viewers into the battles.

Chief animation director is once again Shunji Suzuki with Hidenori Matsubara, Atsushi Okuda and Takeshi Honda (mechanical animation director), who supervised the animation of the incredible line-up of key animators, ranging from Hideaki Anno, Kazuya Tsurumaki and Masayuki themselves to other veterans like Mahiro Maeda, Shoichi Masuo and You Yoshinari to Tetsuya Nishio, Tadashi Hiramatsu, Hiroyuki Imaishi, Akemi Hayashi, Sushio and the animation directors. Shoichi Masuo, famous for great effect animation, is correspondingly also the special effects director and did an incredible job as the explosions and such were among the best I’ve ever seen in animation, I suspect he did key animation on the final scene as it reminded me of a certain scene in Nadia #21 and it clearly showed his work style of using many different layers. There were also some incredibly detailed explosions which looked Anno-ish to me (purple). Near the end I also felt some Gurren Lagann vibes and think that Hiroyuki Imaishi (GL’s director) might be the reason, but otherwise it’s not easy to identify any individual styles as the directors assumedly intervened with the layouting and the animation directors created a strong uniformity (with some minor exceptions). So I have to wait for the key animation book to get to know who did which outstanding scene…

Reading the name list of people involved like this is pretty humbling (not to mention many folks like Yo Yoshinari weren't even mentioned here).

Quite frankly industry itself would love Rebuild to death for its technical virtues alone :lol:

tl;dr: Rebuild is very well received overall, don't be blinded by our old school fan perspective that can get really biting at times

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:40 am

Like Xard said, Rebuild has mostly been met with universal appraise. Most people have accepted it's a fun, fast-paced, more spectacle focused version of the classic anime OR they always wanted Eva to be less "deep & weird".

It's a fun franchise more focused on letting the audience have a good time than analyze what's wrong with the characters lives & in turn their own.

Only people I've heard who genuinely hate the movie are the diehard Asuka fans & those who live & breathe being pretentious about EVERYTHING.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Don't confuse hardcore fan audience (us, namely) with that of anime viewing public as a whole. I've read two dozen reviews of film over time and they've been universally very positive with few overhyping ones and few negative ones.

Yes, it's very popular. The general public certainly wouldn't be adverse to simplification decked out in pretty action and fan service. The critical reaction is just one of the many depressing things about Rebuild.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:24 pm

Considering that it outsold Michael Jackson, it would be very strange if there were no positive reviews - EVA was never meant to be hardcore stuff, you could even say that it is somewhat against the hardcore "You stupid kids dont get anything" mentality, as it tells anyone who claims that no one understands them that they're naive.
It's not like you can evade introspection and philosohpic statement by watching rebuild, it is still trying to tell you something about life.
It portrays teh drama in a different way, but teh drama didn't become significantly less.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:40 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Only people I've heard who genuinely hate the movie are the diehard Asuka fans & those who live & breathe being pretentious about EVERYTHING.

Yeah. Pretension's nice, but NME is a nice break. I really love it! :ting:

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:14 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Reading the name list of people involved like this is pretty humbling (not to mention many folks like Yo Yoshinari weren't even mentioned here).

Quite frankly industry itself would love Rebuild to death for its technical virtues alone :lol:

who supervised the animation of the incredible line-up of key animators, ranging from Hideaki Anno, Kazuya Tsurumaki and Masayuki themselves to other veterans like Mahiro Maeda, Shoichi Masuo and You Yoshinari to Tetsuya Nishio, Tadashi Hiramatsu, Hiroyuki Imaishi, Akemi Hayashi, Sushio and the animation directors.

Wut.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Huh. Looks like I missed it somehow. Weird.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:00 am

From the review the OP posted:
the oceanographic institute's layout distinctly (and certainly not coincidentally) resembles the Kabbalan Tree of Life, for instance.

Jebus so it does! How did I not notice that?

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:47 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Jebus so it does! How did I not notice that?

YOU SERIOUSLY DIDN'T NOTICE THAT??? OMGWTF WHAT KIND OF EVA FAN ARE YOU

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”