Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

DanAwful
Adam
User avatar
Age: 38
Posts: 75
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DanAwful » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:51 pm

I don't get it. What are you trying to say exactly?

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Posts: 524
Joined: Jun 13, 2009

Re: Who ever wrote the dub script for 2.22...

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:25 pm

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:Who ever wrote the dub script for 2.22 Must have looked up to Amanda Winn-Lee.

The only reason I didn't like it in EoE was because it was inconsistent with the series...

Edit: There is swearing. More than I expected.


There wasnt that much swearing. There were about 3 swear words total. The word fuck was used near the begining,the word shit was used in the scene before the Eva 03 scene,and the word Basterd was used when Mari was battling the 10th angel. That's 3.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 670
Joined: Oct 20, 2009
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shogo-Kun » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Just finished watching it.

IT WAS GLORIOUS!!!! Funimation did another beautiful job on Evangelion! The voices were top notch, especially the VA for Mari. It's by far the most beautiful dub of Evangelion I've ever seen! Dare I say... PERFECT?!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Fallingtogrey
Adam
Age: 32
Posts: 89
Joined: Dec 20, 2009
Location: Not Specified

Re: Who ever wrote the dub script for 2.22...

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Fallingtogrey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Dunno.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

Jayfive
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 42
Posts: 1099
Joined: Oct 16, 2010
Location: Ormskirk, Lancs, UK
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Funi's latest youtube trailer is the WHOLE of the Unit 03 vs 01 fight.

Guess they dont feel the need to suprise anyone :S

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Posts: 524
Joined: Jun 13, 2009

Re: Who ever wrote the dub script for 2.22...

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:34 pm

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:More like 5 or 6 times. More swearing than the last film, again inconsistencies is the problem I have with it.


Uh,no. I didnt hear that much swearing. And saying it was 5 or 6 times is a bit exaggerated.

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 89
Posts: 1737
Joined: May 28, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:22 pm

"Just... fucking... DIE!" > "Just... DIE!"

DanAwful
Adam
User avatar
Age: 38
Posts: 75
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Gender: Male

Re: Who ever wrote the dub script for 2.22...

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DanAwful » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:04 pm

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:More like 5 or 6 times. More swearing than the last film, again inconsistencies is the problem I have with it.

That's it? That's really your biggest problem with the dub?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 22888
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: Living in Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:42 pm

The aforementioned Clip 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6A1S5kn_OI (Shinji versus Baridel/Eva-03)

There are 3 other versions up (not sure what the differences are, didn't check) which are only 6 minutes long, but the above link is 9 minutes long.

________

To be honest I had a difficult time hearing some of the lines, I'm not sure if they were muffled or what. Overall this scene wasn't too bad. I was pretty impressed with Spencer's voice-acting. (Looking forward to hearing him in the 10th Angel battle sequence!)

People who complained about the supposedly unnatural-sounding dialogue should be happy, because we get:

SPOILER: Show
"Shinji, why aren't you fighting?"

"Because...Asuka's still in there, dad. I can't...!"

"Listen. That is an Angel, and that is all that matters."

"No, I can't do it! You can't make me murder Asuka!"

"Then you're going to die."

"Fine! I'd rather die than kill her!"


I did chuckle slightly at Spencer's voice doing that high shriek thing during the delivery of "What the hell are you doing, dad!" I don't know if his voice just goes too high or what, but some delivery of his shrieks and screams I just can't take with a straight face.

Gendo and Fuyutsuki's voices don't really fit IMO (though I don't think they fit in 1.0 either) while the Bridge Bunnies are so-so.

I don't know if it was just because it's a Youtube video, but I was surprised the lyrics for Today is the "Day for Goodbye" weren't on the screen. I personally feel the lyrics for that and "Please Give Me Wings" should be included in the dub because it helps provided a better understanding of the scenes, IMO.

Grant and Spencer's screams at the end...Now THAT was an excellent job. I had chills down my spine, the same feeling from watching 2.22 in Japanese. (Though when first watching 2.22 in Japanese, both Eva-03 battle and the Operation Rescue Ayanami sequence made me cry. >_> )

...God, rewatching this scene again reminded me of just how fucked up Nerv (well, Gendo, really) is.

(And that silly banter with Spencer and Mcfarland made me giggle. Silly but amusing. "You're not collecting NME?! Pfft, forget you, man!" :lol: )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Posts: 524
Joined: Jun 13, 2009

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:46 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I don't know if it was just because it's a Youtube video, but I was surprised the lyrics for Today is the "Day for Goodbye" weren't on the screen. I personally feel the lyrics for that and "Please Give Me Wings" should be included in the dub because it helps provided a better understanding of the scenes, IMO.

Grant and Spencer's screams at the end...Now THAT was an excellent job. I had chills down my spine, the same feeling from watching 2.22 in Japanese. (Though when first watching 2.22 in Japanese, both Eva-03 battle and the Operation Rescue Ayanami sequence made me cry. >_> )


Yeah. Just wait until the battle with the 10th Angel. I thought Spike did a very good job. And the reason there arent any subtitles I'm guessing is most DVD players have that option so they figure,why bother?

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 89
Posts: 1737
Joined: May 28, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:08 pm

The second subtitle option will translate the songs and a few signs while leaving out the dialogue. I'm still partial to Tristan McAvery, but am warming up to the new Gendo. Maybe because of the character's greater range in this film (so far as Gendo has range). The cemetery scene was very well done. For some reason, the dinner conversation between him and Rei struck me as less comical than the Japanese take.

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 9010
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:22 pm

"POINT BLANK, SHITHEAD!"

BEST LINE EVER -o-;
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Twitch]

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 2838
Joined: Dec 19, 2010
Location: Tamriel
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trajan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Narm Charm at its finest.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 89
Posts: 1737
Joined: May 28, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:55 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:"POINT BLANK, SHITHEAD!"

BEST LINE EVER -o-;


I demand that a bumper sticker be printed post haste!

Fallingtogrey
Adam
Age: 32
Posts: 89
Joined: Dec 20, 2009
Location: Not Specified

Re: Who ever wrote the dub script for 2.22...

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Fallingtogrey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:42 am

It makes sense.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 2021
Joined: Apr 12, 2008
Location: Mirai Gajetto Kenkyujo
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Who ever wrote the dub script for 2.22...

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:55 am

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:Like I've said, There was no swearing in the last film at all. You rather have it or you don't. Stop being inconsistent.


Things got real in 2.22 though. The first movie was just a warm up while the second took a step in the serious direction (in terms of drama and action).
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

gatotsu911
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 1646
Joined: Dec 17, 2010
Location: US of East Coast
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:00 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I don't know if it was just because it's a Youtube video, but I was surprised the lyrics for Today is the "Day for Goodbye" weren't on the screen. I personally feel the lyrics for that and "Please Give Me Wings" should be included in the dub because it helps provided a better understanding of the scenes, IMO.

There were subtitles for the songs during the screening I attended, which I think you can safely assume to mean that there will be subtitles for the songs on the DVD.

Spencer's screams can sometimes be a bit funny out of context, but the fact of the matter is that's just his voice. Generally speaking, I've always been so immersed in whatever version of Evangelion I've been watching to find any of his shrieks Narmy. He does let out one during the post-Unit 03 scene that tickled me, though, but as always it trods a fine line between comical and chilling.

Also: OH NOEZ, NOT CURSING IN MY EVA!! Gore, dismemberment, nudity, rampant sexual symbolism, pseudo-incest, and emotional destitution are A-okay with me, but naughty language is where I draw the line!!

Also, just for the record, I recall some number of "bastard"s, "goddamn"s and possibly even a couple "shit"s being thrown around in 1.0.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Azathoth
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3495
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
Location: somewhere under noctis labyrinthus

Re: Who ever wrote the dub script for 2.22...

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Azathoth » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:05 pm

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:Like I've said, There was no swearing in the last film at all. You rather have it or you don't. Stop being inconsistent.


That strikes me as silly. There was no swearing in 1.11, sure, but when 2.22 contains at least one instance I can recall of Mari saying "Shit" in the Japanese version, isn't it appropriate to involve a little profanity in the English dub?

POINT BLANK SHIT HEAD is hardly high drama, sure, but come the fuck on it's a dub
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Travosaga
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 39
Joined: Mar 30, 2011
Location: Jersey Shore
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Travosaga » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:06 pm

I was very pleased with the dub. The Evangelion dub (movies and series) are the only dubs I'll watch. Everything else just seems lacking in quality or the voices don't seem to fit right.

Actually, the only thing I didn't like about the funimation version was the packaging itself. The original Japanese blu-ray box is the real classy plain orange while the international version has the same orange box with the ugly blue stripe across the top letting everybody know it's a blu-ray. It really stands out and is kind of ugly. Oh well. I own the Japanese version too so I'll just keep that one on display.
Last edited by Travosaga on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Know thyself.

DanAwful
Adam
User avatar
Age: 38
Posts: 75
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DanAwful » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 pm

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:Like I've said, There was no swearing in the last film at all. You rather have it or you don't. Stop being inconsistent.

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:OH NOEZ, NOT CURSING IN MY EVA!! Gore, dismemberment, nudity, rampant sexual symbolism, pseudo-incest, and emotional destitution are A-okay with me, but naughty language is where I draw the line!!

I think the problem Fallingtogrey has is that apparently the first dub didn't have any but the second one does. It doesn't make much sense to me why this is a problem though. Certain situations call for certain responses. I haven't seen the dub of 2.22 yet (should be arriving today or tomorrow) so if your argument is that the cursing is unnecessary than I'll have to wait until I hear for myself if the cursing feels intrusive and unnecessary or if it fits in fine.


Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests