A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:37 am

And now there appears to be two sequels coming up in 2014 & 2015.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:04 pm

Thank god. We really needed two sequels to Avatar. Now if someone could hurry up and make a couple more Matrix sequels, we'd be all set.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:54 pm

No Battle Angel? Fuck you Cameron!
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:54 pm

the more I think about it, I can't honestly see how Avatar is sequel-ready

the first one alone said what had to be said and judging by what's been said, the sequels sound more like National Geographic/Animal Planet television specials dedicated to heavily exploring the wildlife and crap like that

besides, Cameron should wait about 7-8 years to make the sequels and instead make his other projects (The Dive and especially Battle Angel) in between said gap
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:22 am

I was hoping we would see BAA by 2013 or 2014. Looks like we have to wait another severals....ugh.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:04 am

Don't know why anyone's acting surprised. This was always Cameron's plan and he's been vocal about for almost a decade now.

He intends to make both an AVATAR Trilogy and a BATTLE ANGEL ALITA Trilogy. Some people suspected he'd alternate between the two but honestly that would be a bit detrimental artistically with the two having some overlap in Cameron's planning. They'd start stealing from each other and the possibility of Cameron losing momentum and interest in one over the other would be very possible. The second he started AVATAR it was pretty obvious he plans to stick with it till the trilogy is over.

And Cameron is one of the few men who has the perfect track record with blood pumping sequels- ALIENS & TERMINATOR 2- so I'm certain he'll be able to deliver something really special with AVATAR 2 & 3. Will they be true documents of the human spirit? No. But when did the Internet decide that enjoying a movie for being entertaining was a bad thing?

Then most likely he'll seriously turn to BATTLE ANGEL ALITA which people should expect no early than December 2018 or 2019 (the year of Blade Runner). Of course coming off what is already set to be the highest grossing trilogy of all time Cameron will have the most insane amount of opportunities to make the ultimate nerd film of all time. Then people will get the Hard R live action anime they've always wanted. But bigger.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Well, the pacing was really off in the first movie. It doesn't take "the internet" to figure that one out. (It shouldn't take 3 hours to tell a story with characters that shallow. It just shouldn't.) And the "Director's Cuts" are only accentuating that aspect. Though the last cut will also hopefully add the character connection that was so utterly lacking in the first film.

Though, I am hopeful that the sequels will finally give Cameron an excuse to say "We don't need to spend so much time 'introducing' the world of Pandora, since that was all done in the first AVATAR. So we can just jump right into the plot and characters for AVATAR 2." If that happens, the movies will probably get their pacing issues taken care of.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:47 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Don't know why anyone's acting surprised. This was always Cameron's plan and he's been vocal about for almost a decade now.

The surprise is less about Cameron's plans and more about the fact that sequels to Avatar are really unnecessary. Although, they may very well be good. But you're right, we shouldn't be surprised. After all, in Hollywood of today EVERYTHING MUST HAVE SEQUELS!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:08 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:After all, in Hollywood of today EVERYTHING MUST HAVE SEQUELS!

Now I'm beginning to hate Hollywood thanks to this.

Also, Mr. Cameron, how about making more ORIGINAL films next time.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:40 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:After all, in Hollywood of today EVERYTHING MUST HAVE SEQUELS!

Hollywood of today? Try Hollywood of ... however many past decades.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:17 pm

okay, I bought the Three Disc Blu-Ray edition and watched the Collector's Edition Extended Edition....

I'll have to say that all of the new inclusions really helped (especially the new Earthbound intro, which fixes the really shaky, cobbled together nature of the intro in the other cuts of the film) and all in all a better film, IMO
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:44 pm

I have not seen it yet, but other people who have similar tastes to mine say that the new scenes should have been left in in the first cut and some of the "Ooh! Look at that pretty spinning thingy!" scenes should have been cut
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:00 am

yeah

in fact, i've also heard that some of the deleted scenes should've been left in as well (have not really dived into the supplementary features of the Blu-Ray set yet), though it was supposed to be 190 minutes at the first place

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Not really about Avatar, but James Cameron is making a ass out of himself again.

http://worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=20251&count=0

This is what happens if you make a movie that made so much money. Cameron is being like "Look at me people, I made two of the highest grossing movies of all time. What I said goes".

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:33 pm

It sure is hypocritical for Cameron to say that.

But I do have to agree that there's a death of ideas in Hollywood & Battleship is a really stupid concept for a film. It's the Battleship brand name... WITH ALIENS!!!

Though I do hold a bone against Cameron for highlighting the laziest money grubbing "idea" in recent Hollywood history & then taking credit for it's inception:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FQDUX6X6-w[/url]

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:42 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:This is what happens if you make a movie that made so much money. Cameron is being like "Look at me people, I made two of the highest grossing movies of all time. What I said goes".

True. But, I kind of agree with him. Making movies about Battleship, the Ouija board, and Clue should be the territory of The Asylum's or an independent production, not a Hollywood studio production.

And yes, making movies is all about money. James Cameron should know that best.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:00 pm

I agree that Cameron should know better about saying what he said, though this does explain why he has avoided being involved in the Terminator franchise since T2 (along the Alien franchise since Aliens) and that he has never allowed a True Lies sequel to happen despite on-and-off rumors to the contrary, much to my chagrin on all counts

I also agree for the most part with Cameron on the fact that there is huge and borderline unreasonable resistance among the major film studios to put into production anything that lacks a "brand," but it's to be sadly expected considering how financially shaky they and their respective parent companies are and that less and less people are going to actual theaters

you would think by now that with the commercial successes of Avatar, nearly every Christopher Nolan film and practically every Pixar film ever made that studios would be more willing than they are to let new stories and characters come to the fold

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:20 am

James Cameron And Arnold Schwarzenegger Reunite

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/03/23/james-cameron-arnold-schwarzenegger-reunion/

James Cameron plans Avatar 2 training trip to Brazilian rain forest soon as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/mar/28/james-cameron-avatar-2-brazil

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:42 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:James Cameron And Arnold Schwarzenegger Reunite

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/03/23/james-cameron-arnold-schwarzenegger-reunion/
so is that long delayed True Lies sequel finally going to happen?

because I cannot imagine any other reason other than personal that Cameron and Ahnuld would meet up, I would be absolutely STUNNED if Cameron wanted to go back to the Terminator franchise, involve Ahnuld in Avatar II: The Quickening, or start some original project with him

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:07 pm

Dude, if Arnold is in AVATAR II I'll friggin' watch it opening night in 3-D theaters! If not, then I'll just wait for the $1.50 seats or something.

Return to “Film and Video”