Mana: the Girlfriend of Steel - What do you think of her?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:07 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Weird!

From the story "The Blabber" (here)

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Well that's an interesting viewpoint. I guess my initial view that i will probably never understand how that mind of yours works was dead on.

In this respect it isn't all that different from someone we know quite well...

Shinji:
Nobody cares whether I exist or not... Nothing will change.
So, everybody just die.

only with a few notches more of grouchiness mixed in.

@The Bastard King
VHEMT are in some senses institutionally misanthropic; though the word is typically used to indicate a level of fellow feeling akin to Scrooge.

@Topic
Having only seen stills from the GoS game, I remain entirely agnostic about Mana, or perhaps slightly inclined to favour her if she manages to distract Shinji.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:25 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Well that's an interesting viewpoint. I guess my initial view that i will probably never understand how that mind of yours works was dead on.

In this respect it isn't all that different from someone we know quite well...

Shinji:
Nobody cares whether I exist or not... Nothing will change.
So, everybody just die.

only with a few notches more of grouchiness mixed in.

I can't understand Shinji on that one. I had my suicidal period, but I never thought all of humanity should die.
Mr. Tines wrote:@Topic
Having only seen stills from the GoS game, I remain entirely agnostic about Mana, or perhaps slightly inclined to favour her if she manages to distract Shinji.

Wouldn't that be bad for Asuka? You know some random tramp succeeding where she failed.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:37 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Wouldn't that be bad for Asuka? You know some random tramp succeeding where she failed.

Depends on whenabouts in continuity. Getting the two of them out of starting their mutually destructive spiral would be no bad thing, even at the cost of a smaller crisis earlier (a variant of which ended up in my major "I have no choice but to write this" Asuka angst-fic).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

The Bastard King
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:49 pm

It is a little strange, how she manages to do to Shinji what half the cast of Evangelion failed to do themselves, and only in a couple week's time. She even gets Shinji to not freak out when she says she loves him in front of everyone during one scene, and to my knowledge she hadn't said as much up 'till that point.

But it's s'alright, since at the end of it Shinji's set back into his second-arc depression stage. The Shinji we all know and love in a non-sexual fashion.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:34 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Reichu wrote:Mana is a tramp, and I could mathematically prove that she is evil if I had advanced mathematical skills.

Was this what you were looking for :D

GoS was the product of time and money. As a formula

GoS = Time x Money

Also GoS = Mana, so

Mana = Time x Money

But we also know that time is money, so substituting

Mana = Money ^ 2

Knowing that money is the root of all evil (money = _/ Evil), we substitute to get

Mana = Evil

QED

This is a mathmatical joke to prove that women=evil. my high school math teacher told it in class once. though it is used quite well in this situation. As for the character herself, i like the character design. Other than that, i have no idea what she is like. i own, but havent played the game (yet).

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:41 pm

She's a lame character.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:46 am

*loads shotgun*

You were a good girl.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:50 pm

I think she's cute/allright. Not that I'm a big fan of hers, but I don't think she deserves all the hate.

I do prefer Mayumi, tough. Because of cuteness and the existance actual plot. also, the game she's in allows for a S/R ending and is less chlichéd/has everyone more IC.

None of them are contestants compared to Asuka or Rei, but meh, they're cute enough.

Still, the "additions" are named Maria, Mayumi, Mana, and Mari (don't think she counts, tough, since she's been inserted by the original makers)... Why do all their names start with M?
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:45 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Still, the "additions" are named Maria, Mayumi, Mana, and Mari (don't think she counts, tough, since she's been inserted by the original makers)... Why do all their names start with M?

Not all of them: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Extracanonical_Characters

Lucretius
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Mana is Asuka with a more "acceptable" personality and Rei's pageboy haircut.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Eh, she's okay. She clearly isn't troubled enough to pass muster as more than a secondary cast member though.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

juaxoo
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:46 am

Shinji and mana wouldn't be able to couple for a long relationship, it was because of the firey spur moment that sparkled really greatly but would end with a bang.

mana was getting close to Shinji for the sole purpose of spying and getting intel from him from nerv at the very beginning, there wasn't first sight love, or any other kind of affection.
i really don't think she would be a great partner for Shinji. maybe her personality is better than Asuka or Rei's, as in easier to love and adore.

mana is only good for in her own franchise girlfriend of steel 1, nothing else. but still i personally really love the eroge (girlfriend of steel series), it turns the eva universe into a not-so-fucked-up one

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:34 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:you mean this ending?

That.... is the *coolest* 404 error I have ever seen. O_o :)
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:55 am

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:That.... is the *coolest* 404 error I have ever seen. O_o :)

It took me a while to type up the MCP's script because I had to transcribe it from the movie. It was before the time when you can easily find a script of Tron on the internet.

But I suspect the image is this, based on the replies following it:

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:02 pm

Pretty, boring, and duplicitous. Say what you will about Rei and Asuka but at least they're honest.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:01 pm

I . . . know nothing about her. I am dead serious. I have never seen any Let's Plays of the game she's in, I've never seen any substantial intel on her in any wiki, and the best intel I have on her came from a frickin' music video. Oh sure, I know her fanon characterization as the hard cursing, beer drinking, aggressive lad-ette cyborg voiced by Katee Sackhoff fairly well, but I don't squat about her canonical self.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Sanctus Scorpius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanctus Scorpius » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:35 pm

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:hard cursing, beer drinking, aggressive lad-ette cyborg voiced by Katee Sackhoff...

You just made Mana sound way cooler than she should.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:50 pm

I dunno. I like her direct, bubbly personality. (And I don't think she's that similar to Asuka... )
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”