Funi's 1.11 DVD and Blu-Ray missing Extras in later prints!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Funi's 1.11 DVD and Blu-Ray missing Extras in later prints!

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 pm

Split of a split, see here for context.~SSD

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Image

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Image

O___o Wow. Something very much so is amiss. For whatever it's worth, I remember buying my 1.11 copy at a Best Buy (or a similar store, possibly an online place) around the time it was first released.

Anybody know if Funimation has a proper means of contact? Or if they'd get a replacement disc? I don't think I have my receipt anymore but...

I'm glad to know this thread has a use, after all! :sweatdrop:

(Also: Is your copy of the 1.11 DVD reversed for Saigsu and Ravel when you try to watch the Rebuild of Evangelion 1.01 extra? I heard that's a common problem...)

But now I'm worried...does that mean some versions of the 2.22 DVD (or BD) are going to have this same problem while others aren't?
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:26 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:O___o Wow. Something very much so is amiss. For whatever it's worth, I remember buying my 1.11 copy at a Best Buy (or a similar store) around the time it was first released.
[...]
(Also: Is your copy of the 1.11 DVD reversed for Saigsu and Ravel when you try to watch the Rebuild of Evangelion 1.01 extra? I heard that's a common problem...)

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon. And, yeah. Those two features are reversed. Too bad about your disc, though. Hope you can get a replacement.

Funimation, I love how firmly established of a business you are and the quantity of titles you posses. But, dude! Get your head in the game, man. I've always preferred The Right Stuf subs over yours because they put some effort in to its aesthetics. And you're features are all screwed over.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:37 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I pre-ordered mine from Amazon. And, yeah. Those two features are reversed. Too bad about your disc, though. Hope you can get a replacement.

Funimation, I love how firmly established of a business you are and the quantity of titles you posses. But, dude! Get your head in the game, man. I've always preferred The Right Stuf subs over yours because they put some effort in to its aesthetics. And you're features are all screwed over.

I thought those two features were reveresed on purpose?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:09 am

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:I thought those two features were reveresed on purpose?

I wasn't aware that they might have been reversed on purpose, though that doesn't even make sense to me. I don't know why one would purposely attribute work to an artist who wasn't responsible for the work. That's doesn't even seem like pretentious Anno thinking, that's just unprofessional.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:03 am

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:I thought those two features were reveresed on purpose?

Yeah, and didn't someone say it was like that on the Japanese DVD & Blu-ray?
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

slkdragon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby slkdragon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:35 am

Hey, SSD, if you have any luck in that endeavor, would mind passing on any information you could? Looks like I got the same second disc you did. I really wanted those trailers, too.
Fair warning: I have the quirk of reading your posts with the voice of your avatar.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:38 pm

I posted on the Funimation forums (my pic and FFF4ever's comparison pic), hopefully somebody can get back to me on this and I can get a replacement disc somehow because an error on their end isn't cool.

If Funimation refuse to replace it, I have a friend who'd be interested in my copy and I could just buy myself a new one...But the new 1.11 DVD (and 2.22 DVD!) better not have the same issue as before or else I'll :lastresort: .

slkdragon: I think your best bet would be to post in this thread as well (registering is really quick): http://community.funimation.com/tm.aspx?m=486530

At least that way they'll see it's just not one person complaining and several people have this problem. (Which hopefully would push them in the direction to follow-through with a Disc Replacement!)

In remembering some more, I ordered my 1.11 copy from Rightstuf last November (when I lived in a different state no less), and according to their FAQ, they have a 90 day return policy.

So I believe [email protected] is who you have to contact (thanks to Dri for the information!)

[url]http://funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=faq[/url] wrote:There is a problem with a DVD / BluRay I purchased.
In order to get a replacement DVD or missing component, you will need to contact the store or online retailer from where you purchased. Our retail partners handle exchanges and replacements for customers. If you still have problems after you visit your retailer, send an email to [email protected], and they will walk you through the steps to receiving a replacement.

A Reply! ...Wow. :cringe: BOTH the Blu-Ray and DVD had changes after the first-printing! :shinji_boohoo: In other words, FreakyFilmFan4ever copy's is a first-print edition while mine's a later version.

Your disk is correct. A change was made to all disks after the first-run due to a contractual obligation with our licensor. I apologize for the inconvenience, but we are no longer producing the disk mentioned below.

Thanks,

Product Concerns

I really hope this means that whatever extras they have for 2.22 are the same extras they'll have for ALL the disks... I mean, yes there's going to be licensing issues but... ;_; Also, this is somewhat annoying for the fans who had no idea there WAS a change to begin with, but thems the breaks.

So I guess this means fans who want certain extras on their DVDs are going to be screwed out of them? The least you could do is post something about this somewhere, Funi! That way more people could have nabbed the first-press release when they had the chance!

This does bother me somewhat because principle of the thing and I'm anal-retentive like that.

For whatever it's worth, somebody started a thread on the Mania forums after my post(s) in the Funimation forums: http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1919774 Skimming the thread is what made me release that BOTH the Blu-Ray and DVD releases are missing extras with the later printings (eg, one guy said that he preordered the Blu-Ray had all the extras of the DVD release).

Maybe I should go ahead and buy Studio Khara's release of the films. :sweatdrop:
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Wow. That's gotta suck. Glad I pre-ordered my 1.11 last year when I did because it has everything on the first press release. Extra's wise anyway.
Last edited by Eva 04 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 pm

same here

my copy is a first run and until today, I didn't even play the second disc at all, so yeah
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:02 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote: :cringe: BOTH the Blu-Ray and DVD had changes after the first-printing! :shinji_boohoo: In other words, FreakyFilmFan4ever copy's is a first-print edition while mine's a later version.

Wow. So that's why my BD disc didn't have any of the same features that my DVD disc did. I got it well after it's disc release date to wait for a price drop.

Dude, if Funimation has to do something like that out of a contractual obligation to their licensor, they should have at least advertise the first edition disc prints as such, almost like a Collector's Edition gimmick or something. Put a "Collector's Edition" ad on the site or slap a "First Print Collector's Edition" sticker on the shrink-wrap around the DVD or something. That way we'd at least know.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:32 pm

If the side of your DVD/BD says something like "FN-09880" then it's an first print release. Good thing to keep in mind that maybe they could be found at stores...Maybe. (Supposedly at least, if somebody can confirm this for the DVD/BD, that'd be great.)

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:If the side of your DVD/BD says something like "FN-09880" then it's an first print release. Good thing to keep in mind that maybe they could be found at stores...Maybe. (Supposedly at least, if somebody can confirm this for the DVD/BD, that'd be great.)

reminds me of when I found a CD used and I had to ask them to let me see the disc to see if it was the pressing I wanted
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:48 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Dude, if Funimation has to do something like that out of a contractual obligation to their licensor, they should have at least advertise the first edition disc prints as such, almost like a Collector's Edition gimmick or something. Put a "Collector's Edition" ad on the site or slap a "First Print Collector's Edition" sticker on the shrink-wrap around the DVD or something. That way we'd at least know.

The only problem is that you have put the cart before the horse. Funi put out the first print in good faith believing that they had clearance for all materials included on the disc. Why would they put a special sticker on the 1st print run for something that they didn't think would be a point of differentiation down the road?

Conversely they intentionally made the 2nd print run's removed extras a silent omission because no one markets their current product as deficient, even if it is inferior to its original first print run.
Last edited by svenge on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:49 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Dude, if Funimation has to do something like that out of a contractual obligation to their licensor, they should have at least advertise the first edition disc prints as such, almost like a Collector's Edition gimmick or something. Put a "Collector's Edition" ad on the site or slap a "First Print Collector's Edition" sticker on the shrink-wrap around the DVD or something. That way we'd at least know.

Doesn't it sound more like they were forced to change the contents of the disk on later printings?
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:51 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:If the side of your DVD/BD says something like "FN-09880" then it's an first print release. Good thing to keep in mind that maybe they could be found at stores...Maybe. (Supposedly at least, if somebody can confirm this for the DVD/BD, that'd be great.)

My 1.11 DVD has all of the bonus features on the 2nd disc and the number on it is FN-09882.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 pm

Interesting, mine has "FN-09882" on it and it's a second-print release.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:My 1.11 DVD has all of the bonus features on the 2nd disc and the number on it is FN-09882.

The 1.11 DVD is FN-09882, the 1.11 BD is FN-09880. The 2nd pressing of each has a R1 appended to the SKU number on the laser-printing on the ring of the disc, I believe.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 pm

@ svenge and COACH: I would have thought Funi would have cleared the rights to anything within their releases before programming the discs, making one release a "Limited Edition" rather than an "Oops!" edition, but I guess not. Still, I feel some sort of notice to their customers of the change would be in order, even if just an apology or something on the web page. Maybe there was one, but I never saw it. Oh well. I'm not mad or anything. Just surprised. This is the weirdest thing to have happened to an official disc release I've ever purchased.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:27 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:The 1.11 DVD is FN-09882, the 1.11 BD is FN-09880. The 2nd pressing of each has a R1 appended to the SKU number on the laser-printing on the ring of the disc, I believe.

Strange, my disc has R1 on the laser SKU, and it's numbered FN-09882, and it has all the extras. What? Did I get lucky? Did I win the EVA lottery?
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:Strange, my disc has R1 on the laser SKU, and it's numbered FN-09882, and it has all the extras. What? Did I get lucky? Did I win the EVA lottery?

You win all of the 1.11 extras! :yippee:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”