Maya Is Really Bad At Her Job

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:51 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:"Hey, second impact was a lie; also there's some giant alien things coming, maybe soon, maybe in a decade, and we're completely structuring the city around this"

Ritsuko nonchalantly told Shinji about the 2nd Impact cover-up in episode #07, right out in the middle of Nerv HQ, so they probably all know about the magnificent exploding Angel 01.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Wait, is this discussion serious? This is serious, isn't it? Oh, you guys.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Jessemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:57 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Maya is bad at her job, just like Gendo is bad with relationships, just like Asuka is bad at communicating, just like Shinji is bad at accepting himself, just like Rei is bad at emoting and so on......

It's dysfunction junction, people. You're not allowed on the show unless you have glaring weaknesses for the writers to exploit mercilessly.

Well, Hikari and Kensuke seem to be fine for their age.
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:06 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Which is why Nerv should have put a Help Wanted ad in the paper...

I don't think Maya's interactions with Gendo was important enough in the film to warrant that. In fact, she never speaks to Gendo. Maybe Ritsuko would have but up a "Help Wanted" sign, but not Gendo. He hardly knows the chick.

Regardless, it wouldn't have mattered. Her whining never really hindered in the series anyway. She did her job no matter what.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:33 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:In fact, she never speaks to Gendo.

Time to watch #18 again, m'lad.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:46 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Time to watch #18 again, m'lad.

Oh, yeah! I forgot. Odd, since I've seen episodes 7- 19 recently just before watching 2.0...

The Abhorrent
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Maya Is Really Bad At Her Job

•      
  •      

Postby The Abhorrent » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:56 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Seriously. She questions everything. EVERYTHING. By the 50th "But sir, if we do that...", I'm amazed Gendo doesn't go down there and slap a bitch. Also, someone that breaks down and covers her face when she sees a monster fight probably shouldn't take jobs that involve monitoring giant monster fights.

Since when was blind obedience in any job description? Okay, it's apart of some jobs, but it's not an omnipresent ideology anymore.

Highly educated and qualified individuals are expected to act independently, and most of such individuals are less likely to defer authority to their superiors. If something is wrong, they won't stand idly by. A great example of such is (Professor) Fuyutsuki, who was going to reveal the whole conspiracy behind Second Impact before he was convinced that doing so was only going to cause more harm. As for the case of Maya, she was clearly not recruited by Nerv to be yes-woman. She clearly must have some level of expertise (presumably in computing) and is may also be Ritsuko's understudy or protege.

In other words -- she's a scientist (or whatever it actually is), not a soldier.

Nerv outwardly appears to be an organization which looks like it has a strong military component, but it's likely that the vast majority of the personnel are not apart of it. Everyone gets the bare necessities when it comes to weapons training, but they aren't conditioned to obey orders like members of the military. They know what's at stake, which is what keeps them going.... but no one is trained enough to be a soldier. They were all scared out of their wits and quickly slaughtered in EoE. And it's not just Maya who was frightened by the horrors of the series (though she's shown to be the only known member of the staff with a weak stomach), there were many shots of shocked faces during Eva-01's various berserk phases.

In any event....when an expert says something's wrong, they're usually right. In fact, professionals are expected to refuse doing any unethical orders.
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:What were people told these things were built in anticipation of? What did people think installing highspeed transportation chutes to the surface for the Eva's along with embedded weaponry waiting for them when they arrived exist for? Were thousands and thousands of people told "Hey, second impact was a lie; also there's some giant alien things coming, maybe soon, maybe in a decade, and we're completely structuring the city around this"
You don't usually ask questions when you're under confidential contract. The maintenance crew likely wasn't told anything, and most of the techs only knew whatever they'd heard on the job itself, probably. NERV conscriptors certainly didn't say "Oh and by the way, this is all top secret, but we're trying to schedule Third Impact. Would you be alright working under such conditions?" during the job interview.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Most of Maya's little outbursts merely seem to be "The goal isn't what I thought it would be, and nobody's telling me what it really is!" Hence the "But if we do that-" responses. Her head was concentrating on using the tools and techniques she knew to just do her job in a way that would best keep things on the level and safe. (Maybe the best term is "somewhat normal considering the task at hand".) Then Ritsuko comes in with all of these crazy ideas and experiments to perform on all of the Evas and Pilots, straying away from keeping things "on the level".

And I don't think she's protesting most of the time. There was only one conversation she had with Ritsuko where I thought she really didn't like where the project was headed. (It was the same one where Ritsuko mentioned "being sullied".) Most of the other times, Maya seems to deeply respect Ritsuko for achieving the results through what Maya would consider unconventional methods. So her outbursts seem to be more like "Why are you doing that? That's not congruent with our normal daily operations?", which Maya seems to be hired to do: Daily operations. Ritsuko's usually the one on the battle front when it comes to hauling the techno-babble around and making Misato's/Gendo's battle commands come through.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:44 pm

I like what The Abhorrent and FFF4E had to say in this thread, and I don't have anything to add partly because I'm still surprised this thread is serious.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Maya sucks. She's a flawed human being who possesses empathy and acts the way most people would when confronted with horrible sanity-bending events. What a horribly written character.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:30 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Maya sucks. She's a flawed human being who possesses empathy and acts the way most people would when confronted with horrible sanity-bending events. What a horribly written character.

I always take Maya as the conscience for the audience. If she sucks, then we all suck.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I don't have anything to add partly because I'm still surprised this thread is serious.

Yeah, I think this was supposed to be another "Character is This!" thread, and it quickly turned into somewhat of a debate.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:14 am

Yeah, I love how personally some are taking this. :lol: If business gets any more serious, we'll have to move it to "discussion". Again, as a plot device, Maya is great. She definitely serves a purpose. But she doesn't make much sense in-universe. The girl remains the only character Gendo actually RAGES at, when she refuses to enact the dummy plug system (if the board allowed me to upload pics, there would be an image of his "ARRRGH!" face here). I don't see how he'd keep her around after that, or at least start sexually harassing her.

Also, to the many who have made that argument that she's a nerdy scientist, not a soldier... I'm not so sure about that. EOE is clear about her military training. She was expected to know how to use a gun, even if it's not part of her job description. She's a scientist, but a scientist dedicated to learning how to kill stuff better. The real life military has people like that too.

I get that training for war is different than going to war, but her peers have no trouble keeping a cool head. The instruction she had to go through to work there must be massive. How could she not understand that her job is to help kill giants?

Also, Maya: you're the reason Misato died. If you'd had the guts to use that gun, you would have shot the guy that shot Misato. Because of you, her last action in life was a pedo-kiss.

Nice going Maya.
Last edited by Warren Peace on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:17 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Also, Maya: you're the reason Misato died. If you'd had the guts to use that gun, you would have shot the guy that shot Misato. Because of you, her last action in life was a pedo-kiss.

Unbelievable. Why, that bitch Maya was probably also responsible for helping sabotaging Ritsuko's work on the Magi.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 am

You obviously haven't read EOE's script. Anno wrote that little tidbit into the margins. In fact, "Nice going, Maya!" is a direct quote from that.

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:18 am

are we talking about her job as one of the analyst or ritsuko's lesbian whore lover?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:51 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Maya... If she sucks, then we all suck.

Nailed it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:53 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I always take Maya as the conscience for the audience. If she sucks, then we all suck.

Unfortunately Shinji in beginning of EoE is closer to typical eva fan than Maya...

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”