[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:05 am

I didn't even know that Explosions in the Sky was working on a new album. Let's hope it will be on Spotify asap.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Sepulcural Voice
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Sepulcural Voice » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:27 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:, and in their case, I think when they tried to get fancy they sounded worse.

Do you mean their later melodeath era, like Heartwork by chance?

While on the subject, i've actually never been much of a Carcass fan - sure, they're hugely influential upon tons of extreme metal bands (they basically spawned entire throngs of imitators to this day, like Impaled and Exhumed), but I think i've posted before that only Symphonies of Sickness really grabs me. It's a lot more cohesive and well put together than Reek of Putrefaction, but it's also at the same time more energetic and filthy than the later, more reserved works like Necroticism and the aforementioned Heartwork. (though admittedly Necroticism is a fine album, but I find that most of the songs aside for the absolutely amazing "Incarnated Solvent Abuse" are literally all 1 to 2 minutes overlong.)

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:33 pm

in all honesty, the length of the Necroticism songs is not as bad as say...the length of the songs on Death Magnetic ;)
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Just recently:

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited: I guess this album is pretty much classic. Somehow, despite having megahippie parents, I never really got much exposure to Bob Dylan as a kid beyond the basic few songs that everybody knows. So this was my first time listening to "Like A Rolling Stone". You can go ahead and crucify me now...actually though it's a great album and it's not difficult to see why he's such a big thing. There aren't many people who can carry a folk rock song for very long - the closest thing we have to Dylan today would be John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats, a very talented writer and a good musician in his own right, but I can't imagine him going on for a full eleven minutes as Dylan does is "Desolation Row".

Earthless - Rhythms from a Cosmic Sky: I mean you can probably guess what kind of music this is. Very serviceable psychedelic jazz fusion, aimless and with its head in the clouds but that's half the point isn't it?

Devin Townsend - The Hummer: Townsend jumped from metal to ambient with the mediocre Devlab but this second attempt is certainly a step forward, far more cohesive and almost melodic at points, and with a rather remarkable section of Leonard Cohen reading from the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Like all things Townsend, it's unabashedly cheesy except when it seriouses up, and it's well up there with his better metal albums.

Tristania - Beyond the Veil: Pretty undistinguished gothic metal with some doom influence. Nice production but nothing to write home about.

Kimonos - Kimonos: Mukai Shutoku of Zazen Boys fame makes some more straightforward rock, and god damn is it good. This is the first time in months I've listened straight through to any album genre-tagged simply as "Rock". Not so reminiscent of Zazen Boys as of Shutoku's previous project Number Girl, but not even so much that - if there's something that it reminds me of it's probably The Pillows' work on the FLCL soundtrack.

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss: Relistening. You know I'm really not sure how many black metal artists can get away with putting the word "light" in an album title :lol: Better still if it's actually a good album. Not the equal of Filosofem but in fairness no Burzum album is - I'm tempted to say no black metal album of any kind is. Man, what the hell happened to this guy that he lost his touch? Actually you know what don't answer that

Actually I posted as I was still listening to this and so forgot to mention how much I love Tomhet. This is how you switch from black metal to dark ambient. Why couldn't he do so well on his prison albums? Equipment limitations?

Up next:

Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Apocalypse
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond
Sylosis - Edge of the Earth
Seigmen - Metropolis
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées
Long Distance Calling - Avoid the Light
Omega Massif - Geisterstadt
Isengrind/Twinsistermoon/Natural Snow Buildings - The Snowbringer Cult
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:01 pm

^ Can't ever go wrong with Dylan. Ever. You should proceed to buy every single album of his, like, right now (ok, at least the 60s stuff).
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:05 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:^ Can't ever go wrong with Dylan. Ever. You should proceed to buy every single album of his, like, right now (ok, at least the 60s stuff).

As well as late-90s to this day ongoing magnificent, incredible Reneissance.

And 70s shit like Desire and DEFINETLY Blood on the Tracks which might be his best album and one of the best of all time (I can never choose between Highway 61 and Blood on the Tracks)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:16 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:(I can never choose between Highway 61 and Blood on the Tracks)
For me it's Basement Tapes and Blonde on Blonde. Freewheelin' is a damn-near perfect album too; probably the best of his pure folk stuff. I'm a bit surprised you'd prefer Highway to Blonde. Both superb, certainly, but I think the latter is denser and more complex. To put it another way, I think Highway plays better when you're newer to Dylan, but over time I find myself coming back to Blonde more and more and finding new subtleties.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:18 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:For me it's Basement Tapes and Blonde on Blonde. Freewheelin' is a damn-near perfect album too; probably the best of his pure folk stuff. I'm a bit surprised you'd prefer Highway to Blonde. Both superb, certainly, but I think the latter is denser and more complex. To put it another way, I think Highway plays better when you're newer to Dylan, but over time I find myself coming back to Blonde more and more and finding new subtleties.

Blonde on Blonde and Basement Tapes would be just behind Blood on the Tracks and Highway 61 for me...I haven't listened much to Freewheelin' actually, although of course it's great album.

ohwait, Bringing It All Back Home might be my third favourite, actually. :think:

I have a soft spot for Desire too as it's the album that got me into Dylan. Flawed but still with some damn great songs...Sara in particular.

As for Highway 61 Revisited vs. Blonde on Blonde... wellllllll, I'm not sure if I have any clear reason. It does boast my two all time favourite Dylan songs (Like A Rolling Stone and Desolation Row) and I don't anything from Blonde on Blonde quite compares to those two...

I don't know, I won't throw a fuss if you take Blonde on Blonde over Highway. In any case we're talking about some of the best albums ever recorded so putting them in precise order is quite redundant anyway

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:31 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:In any case we're talking about some of the best albums ever recorded so putting them in precise order is quite redundant anyway
Very true.

The interesting thing about Blonde VS Highway is that I think the latter has slightly stronger songs if you were to match its best up with former's best, but the former just works better as an album. Go figure.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:53 pm

It's too bad Dylan always sounds like he's whining. First 2 Mahavishnu albums are great, the rest of them not so much so.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:14 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:It's too bad Dylan always sounds like he's whining.
Blasphemy!

That's really the only complaint I've ever heard about him. I guess because I grew up with him I just accepted it as a normal way of singing so it's never bothered me. Besides, his artistry transcends any antiquated notions of singing well.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:06 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Like all things Townsend, it's unabashedly cheesy except when it seriouses up, and it's well up there with his better metal albums.

:lol: So true. But the cheesyness is what makes him great. Personally I prefer some of his stuff with SYL to be honest. Kids chorus' singing "God Damn I need it!!!!" always make me giggle.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:12 pm

View Original Postschismatics wrote::lol: So true. But the cheesyness is what makes him great. Personally I prefer some of his stuff with SYL to be honest. Kids chorus' singing "God Damn I need it!!!!" always make me giggle.

SYL is hit and miss for me - a lot of the time Devin just seems too mad for his musicianship to come through, and I've never been a huge fan of sounds as heavy and extreme as SYL's. But as with most of Devin's work, when they're good they're damn good.

And yeah, Devin's cheesiness seems to scale directly with the quality of what he's making...
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:34 am

So, today I stumbled upon a song by a Japanese jazz rock'n'roll big band known as The Thrill. While I couldn't find much of their work floating around, I was hooked by the first song and immediately bought an album. They've apparently done some work on anime, such as Blue Submarine No.6, but I've yet to listen to any of that.

If you haven't heard these guys yet, I strongly recommend them. Here's the song I first heard before buying an album: Speed Jazz. For those who are familiar with The Thrill, what do you think of them?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:So, today I stumbled upon a song by a Japanese jazz rock'n'roll big band known as The Thrill. While I couldn't find much of their work floating around, I was hooked by the first song and immediately bought an album. They've apparently done some work on anime, such as Blue Submarine No.6, but I've yet to listen to any of that.

If you haven't heard these guys yet, I strongly recommend them. Here's the song I first heard before buying an album: Speed Jazz. For those who are familiar with The Thrill, what do you think of them?

I had no idea they did the songs on Blue Submarine No.6, now this stuff does sound awesome. Now my parents are gonna be forced to hear me listening to speed jazz instead of the typical metal!

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:54 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:So, today I stumbled upon a song by a Japanese jazz rock'n'roll big band known as The Thrill. While I couldn't find much of their work floating around, I was hooked by the first song and immediately bought an album. They've apparently done some work on anime, such as Blue Submarine No.6, but I've yet to listen to any of that.

Huh. This track is unexpectedly quite awesome. :gasp:

Reason I say "unexpectedly" is because Blue Submarine No.6 has horrible soundtrack that doesn't fit in at all with the action. When OST is bad in anime usually I can just ignore it but in this case it meshed so weakly with action on screen it became yet another aspect of the series I hated. :/

But that track is pretty nice indeed....strange

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Born of Lilith » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:04 am

Does anyone know who sings this song and what anime it came from (if it came from one at all)? I found it while looking up music from NGE and I'm fairly certain that it isn't from anything Eva. But the song is awesome and I'd love to hear more from whoever sings it.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:15 am

View Original PostBorn of Lilith wrote:Does anyone know who sings this song and what anime it came from (if it came from one at all)? I found it while looking up music from NGE and I'm fairly certain that it isn't from anything Eva. But the song is awesome and I'd love to hear more from whoever sings it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQK7s_pxe4

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Born of Lilith » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:24 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQK7s_pxe4

Wow, Megumi is a really talented singer. Thanks for the link! ^_^
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:52 am

Started going through the discography of Anna Maria Jopek. Thanks to Kutta for the indirect recommendation; she's pretty awesome!

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”