So, what IS Rebuild anyways?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jessemon
Lilith

So, what IS Rebuild anyways?

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:58 pm

I'm looking for a slightly more in-depth answer than simply, "it's a remake of NGE."

For example, are the characters different in any way? Are there any major thematic changes so far? Is this just a better produced version of NGE? Just from perusing this forum, it seems to me like Rebuild is just a way for Anno to make a technically better looking NGE with a tighter plot. Is that true? Is Rebuild even really worth watching?

I'm not worried about having lowered expectations; I'm pretty good about keeping my opinions of original works vs remakes/imaginings separate from each other. I'm just curious as to what exactly Rebuild is and why Anno is making it, if that makes any sense at all >_>
Last edited by Jessemon on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Re: So, what IS Rebuild anyways?

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:26 pm

View Original PostJessemon wrote:For example, are the characters different in any way?

Yes.

View Original PostJessemon wrote:Are there any major thematic changes so far?

Yes. Where NGE was a series about anime and the mindset it evokes in people, NME is a series about NGE and the mindset it evoked in anime. Anno's stated goal for the second movie was "to destroy Eva". That should tell you well enough where this story is headed.

View Original PostJessemon wrote:Is this just a better produced version of NGE?

Not really - that's not exactly its purpose and at some points the production is every bit as farcical as NGE. Kaji's English springs to mind.

View Original PostJessemon wrote:Just from perusing this forum, it seems to me like Rebuild is just a way for Anno to make a technically better looking NGE with a tighter plot. Is that true?

I hope not - and given what Anno and others have said about it, I think its goals are somewhat loftier than that. The plot is in some ways far more diffuse, actually.

View Original PostJessemon wrote:Is Rebuild even really worth watching?

Probably will be, once it's finished. As far as I'm concerned though, asking that right now is like asking, "Is it worth it to watch episodes 1-24 of NGE and then Death and Rebirth and call that good?" It's far from complete as a story and Anno is sure taking his sweet fucking time remedying that.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:46 pm

View Original PostJessemon wrote:I'm looking for a slightly more in-depth answer than simply, "it's a remake of NGE."

For example, are the characters different in any way? Are there any major thematic changes so far? Is this just a better produced version of NGE? Just from perusing this forum, it seems to me like Rebuild is just a way for Anno to make a technically better looking NGE with a tighter plot. Is that true? Is Rebuild even really worth watching?

I'm not worried about having lowered expectations; I'm pretty good about keeping my opinions of original works vs remakes/imaginings. I'm just curious as to what exactly Rebuild is and why Anno is making it, if that makes any sense at all >_>

No. Rebuild of Evangelion is what Anno wanted the TV series to be. And IMO,yes. Rebuild is worth watching especially the first two movies.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:19 am

SPOILER: Show

Please say it ain't so.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:48 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Not true; if you want to assert this, you'll need to provide sauce please.

You'll need to back up your claim of it not being true as well since this is what I believe.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:03 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:11 am

Possibly relevant.

Tsurumaki in the 2.0 CRC I think wrote:"To repeat," "to remake," "to want to change," "to have to change;" these things themselves become the themes of the story, and produce a new structure.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:31 am

View Original PostJessemon wrote:I'm looking for a slightly more in-depth answer than simply, "it's a remake of NGE."
A variation upon the theme of NGE is how I'd put it -- and I'm waiting for it to be complete before going any further.

If anyone else were doing it, the storyline in 2.x would be called yet another fanfic. On the plus side, the Ramiel battle in 1.x showed the benefit of advances in technology and budget.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:55 am

As far as I can tell, Rebuild is an attempt by Anno to retell Evangelion with a focus on the up-front science-fiction/action storyline instead of the dark, emotionally charged characterization, since the latter was born from personal issues that he's apparently moved past. It's an attempt to "clean up" the self-expression from his work.

"What if Evangelion was an awesome blockbuster instead of a work of art?"
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Jessemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:A variation upon the theme of NGE is how I'd put it -- and I'm waiting for it to be complete before going any further.

If anyone else were doing it, the storyline in 2.x would be called yet another fanfic. On the plus side, the Ramiel battle in 1.x showed the benefit of advances in technology and budget.

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:As far as I can tell, Rebuild is an attempt by Anno to retell Evangelion with a focus on the up-front science-fiction/action storyline instead of the dark, emotionally charged characterization, since the latter was born from personal issues that he's apparently moved past. It's an attempt to "clean up" the self-expression from his work.

"What if Evangelion was an awesome blockbuster instead of a work of art?"

Eh, this is what I was a little worried about. I'm not a huge anime fan (for example, I'll watch even the shittiest quality horror movies because I just have some weird fascination with them, but I'm not particularly drawn to romances unless they go above and beyond the normal tropes associated with the genre (ala The Fountain)), and I can honestly say that what drew me to NGE was the dark, emotionally charged characterization alongside the stunning images created throughout the series that seemed to elevated above being just an anime. I've also never liked the idea of an artist returning to past works to "clean them up" or "fix them," particularly since in most peoples opinions (including mine), the series was at it's best when it focused on characterization as opposed to the plot.

However,

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Possibly relevant.
Tsurumaki in the 2.0 CRC I think wrote: wrote:"To repeat," "to remake," "to want to change," "to have to change;" these things themselves become the themes of the story, and produce a new structure.

This is a pretty interesting concept, and those screen caps are interesting as well. And since I AM slightly addicted to Eva, I guess I'll give it a shot. Who knows, maybe Anno WILL pull another NGE on us >_>
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:23 am

"Rebuild" is tetralogy of four films that form together retelling of original series with modern technology, techniques and limitless budget. It's impossible to say where they're going as series is only halfdone but overall I'd say the story's aim is far more "Oedipal" and thus fits Anno's original intentions for Eva better. Shinji's relationship with Gendo and Rei is the focus of all, unlike in series where Asuka quickly stole the stage

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:33 am

"Rebuild of Evangelion" is a production title that everyone is still using for some reason. [/smart-ass]
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Marduk
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marduk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:19 am

View Original PostStrayn wrote:

Please say it ain't so.

Don't contaminate the new geekling!!! :gendo_kimura:
"Marduk's Law": "As a Rebuild discussion grows longer, the probability of mentioning the Sequel Theory approaches 1."
Anno Peractio: Age of Conclusion

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:27 am

Im all for speculating that Rebuild is a sequel/reboot/groundhog day style thing/alternate universe etc etc but theres too many gonks on places like Youtube taking the evidence of Karowu's words, the red stripe on the moon, the red waves shot et al and saying that THIS IS a sequel instead of saying that these are clues.

You dont know. Only Anno-sensei and maybe a few other folks know. So button it.

Ritsuko
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ritsuko » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:44 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Im all for speculating that Rebuild is a sequel/reboot/groundhog day style thing/alternate universe etc etc but theres too many gonks on places like Youtube taking the evidence of Karowu's words, the red stripe on the moon, the red waves shot et al and saying that THIS IS a sequel instead of saying that these are clues.

You dont know. Only Anno-sensei and maybe a few other folks know. So button it.

Alternate indeed

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:07 am

I'm not worried about having lowered expectations; I'm pretty good about keeping my opinions of original works vs remakes/imaginings separate from each other. I'm just curious as to what exactly Rebuild is and why Anno is making it, if that makes any sense at all >_>

It's not a remake or anything, it's an alternate, in the same way that EoE was an alternate to eps 22 and 26. It is part of the same work of art, with all the original cast working on it, and presumably Anno's way to make sure his message doesn't get misunderstood again, and according to Anno's initial announcement, "Eva as it was intended to be". (Look here)
I'm not sure if it is a more "spellt out" version of the original story, one that shows what could have been if the characters had taken different roads or, as the interviews suggest, more or less both.
Nonetheless, it shows the story from new angles and will make you fall in love with EVA all over again. There's also a badass new character who compliments the old cast perfectly! The old characters are mainly the same, but they do develop in slightly different directions over time... However, since a movie tetralogy doesn't offer as much screentime as a tv series, they focus on Gendo and the Children, instead of the other adult characters. The graphix are gorgeous and the main themes of solutude and growing up/taking your life into your own hands are explored in quite new ways, they use more visual metaphors now.
The first movie is pretty much the prologue arc with a few small, but sigbificant changes, but the second one, which covers eps 8 too 19 for Shinji's plotline, 9 to 23 for Rei's and 8 to 25 (in a way) for Asuka's, starts greatly diverging from the old series' plot.
And as it seems, the third movie will be ep 24 and COMPLETELY NEW STUFF, and the 4th one will have a brand new ending!
Just watch it, it's great.
Really GREAT!
You'll love it, expecially if you are a Shinji/Rei fan!
Last edited by Kendrix on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:20 am

View Original PostRitsuko wrote:Alternate indeed

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! BRAIN BLEACH!!!! WHERE THE FUCK IS THE DAMN BRAIN BLEEEEEAAAAACCH!!!!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:34 am

"To repeat," "to remake," "to want to change," "to have to change;" these things themselves become the themes of the story, and produce a new structure.

The same interview states that this meta-aspects entered the story "through the backdoor", they weren't planned, but just hapened.
Still "Correcting" what followed old EVAs creation WAS a factor, tough, they wanted to "destroy old EVA", "to change, to improve, to advance" WAS the main theme of the 2nd movie ("You can (not) advance", or "Break/Splitting")
as in "to change for the better", "not giving up/making a difference even if there are setbacks" and "becomming better human beings"- but this is just a fancy package for EoTVs "our destiny is created by your own perceptions. Change your viewpoint and you'll find that you can just move and change what you thought to be unchangeable".
In 2.X, some of the main characters, in fact, the two you'd last expect to, (let's not spoil the starter of this thread) DO change their viewpoints and step into action, however you may judge said action.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:16 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:according to Anno's initial announcement, "Eva as it was intended to be". (Look here)

According to the linked announcement, he says no such thing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”