[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:12 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:http://www.meh.ro/original/2009_09/meh.ro213.png

WHITE
WHALE

HOLY
GRAIL

SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDA!

WHEN YOU SEE THE WHITE WHALE

BREAK YOUR BACKS AND CRACK YOUR OARS MEN!

IF YOU WISH TO PREVAIL!

THIS IVORY LEG IS WHAT PROPELS ME!

HARPOONS THRUST INTO THE SKY!

AIM DIRECTLY FOR HIS CROOKED BROW!

AND LOOK HIM STRAIGHT IN THE EYE!

WHITE WHALE, HOLY GRAIL!

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:07 pm

^that's hilarious :hahaha:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Misato makes a better Ahab.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:16 am

Jeff Buckley's Grace on headphones is a spine chilling experience.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:20 am

Listened to R.E.M.'s new album on Spotify. A lot better than I expected. :w00t:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:35 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Listened to R.E.M.'s new album on Spotify. A lot better than I expected. :w00t:

Spotify only available in 7 countries?? Hmm.....

Most likely will stick to their In Time best collection for a while... but I guess no harm if you can listen to it for free...
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:45 am

I've been listening to a lot of old Chinese pop music lately. Like, 1940's old. Still can't find the song that plays in the background of this scene of Wong Kar-Wai's Fallen Angels. It's not on the soundtrack...
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:44 am

Symbv, are you a fan of R.E.M.? I utterly love Automatic for the People, but haven't really got into their other albums even though I've owned Murmur, Reckoning and Reconstruction of the Fables for a year or two. Collapse into Now sounds great so far and might as well resurrect my interest in the band.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:56 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Symbv, are you a fan of R.E.M.? I utterly love Automatic for the People, but haven't really got into their other albums even though I've owned Murmur, Reckoning and Reconstruction of the Fables for a year or two. Collapse into Now sounds great so far and might as well resurrect my interest in the band.

I listen to too many types of music for my own good... X-p
For REM, I love Murmur and Automatic for the People the most. Reckoning is pretty good too.
If we come down to music from Athens GA, actually I love the neo-psychedelic sound of the Elephant 6 bands even more :-)

Bomby von Bombsville wrote:I've been listening to a lot of old Chinese pop music lately. Like, 1940's old.

Wong Kar Wai just loved those 40s Mandarin pop sound... It can be very nostalgic. One of my most favorite films is In the Mood for Love. The music complemented the film so much that it is hard to imagine what it would be like without the songs and music.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:04 am

Well, it's been a busy past month with new stuff.

Black Flag - My War
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity and Miss Machine
fireHOSE - If'n
Glenn Danzig - Black Aria
The Jesus Lizard - Goat
Lard - The Power of Lard
Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II
Minutemen - The Punch Line
Motorhead - No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
Radiohead - The King of Limbs
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:26 pm

My friend sent me a playlist that I'm listening to right now, it's called "Obscure Bob Dylan B-Sides."
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:08 pm

I've gone on another King's X kick, and I really wish someone around here would take a listen to them and report back. The more I listen to them, the more I fall in love. I've never heard a band infuse such easy-on-the-ears harmony and melodicism with such poignant lyrics and outstanding, but understated, musicianship. Nearly every album has at least one tear-inducing song, surrounded by others that are just pristinely crafted and get better and better with repeat listens.

I was listening to Ogre Tones last night, and their ability to go from the hard-driving rock of Alone, to the stripped-down elegant beauty of Honesty, to the playfully, jazzy, reggae-lite Bebop, to the pure pop catchiness of Hurricane, to something as profoundly sad as Sooner or Later is just amazing. How these guys never became the biggest band in the world will always elude me.

View Original PostTankred wrote:Though I've been listening to some Mastodon lately, I just keep coming back and listening to their albums over and over again.
I nearly burnt out on them. When Leviathan came out I thought they were the Second Coming, and Blood Mountain practically confirmed it. I think I've cooled quite a bit since Crack the Skye. I think my problem with them now is that they're becoming a mediocre prog band instead of that ultimate fusion of pure metal aggression and more sophisticated structures/melodies/harmonies/etc. I still think leviathan is their best, though both Remission and Blood Mountain have a lot going for them.

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Jeff Buckley's Grace on headphones is a spine chilling experience.
Indeed. Listening to them on a state-of-the-art headphone system is even better, trust me.

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Well, it's been a busy past month with new stuff.

Black Flag - My War
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity and Miss Machine
fireHOSE - If'n
Glenn Danzig - Black Aria
The Jesus Lizard - Goat
Lard - The Power of Lard
Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II
Minutemen - The Punch Line
Motorhead - No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
Radiohead - The King of Limbs
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
I've always dug Black Flag and Danzig, though I haven't listened to them a lot. You can't go wrong with DEP and Motorhead.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:04 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote: I still think leviathan is their best, though both Remission and Blood Mountain have a lot going for them.

I agree with ya about Leviathan, but personally I'm not that big of a fan of Blood Mountain. Yeah it has some great moments on there, but some of those riffs are just....stupid. The middle of that album gets kinda...not as a good as the beginning of the cd.

Been listening to Underoath's Disambiguation. I'm not usually into this type of metal, but hey this actually isn't too terrible.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:33 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I've always dug Black Flag and Danzig, though I haven't listened to them a lot.

Although I'd still say Damaged was my favorite of their albums, My War is pretty much one of the beginning points for sludge metal (especially the second side/last three tracks). And as for Black Aria, it isn't like any of the other Danzig stuff. It's...well, think dark classical meets keyboards. It's good, but completely different than the rest of his work (except for Black Aria II, of course).
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:50 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Have you heard anything from Thordendal or Alex Skolnick? Skolnick has a band now where he plays jazz(y) covers of classic rock/metal songs. I'd love to get your impression (although, I probably already know what it is). Thordendal's leads sound very similar to Holdsworth, at least on a superficial level.

I've heard some Meshuggah before, but that was a long time ago (late 80's). Don't remember much of his stuff. I've actually seen both Testament and Savatage in concert before when Skolnick was with them. It's been a long time but I remember being into their music. His trio was playing in NY at the Iridium (which is a great place), but I can't say I'm much into their stuff, I find it pretty awkward, like Pat Metheny awkward, sort of like watching a kid on a tricycle wreck awkward. It's not bad or anything, just not really into it. Which is sort of my problem with metal guitarists. It's not that they're talentless hacks who can only play really fast, the music doesn't really lend itself for them to do the things that I find impressive.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I've heard some Meshuggah before, but that was a long time ago (late 80's).
Are you sure? Their first album wasn't released until '91 and they didn't form until '87, so if you saw them it must have been when they were first touring around the time of their first demo...

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I find it pretty awkward, like Pat Metheny awkward, sort of like watching a kid on a tricycle wreck awkward.
Pat Matheny awkward? I thought he was a rather legendary guitarist? You must know something I don't.

Fair enough about metal guitarists, though. Do you think it's really a limitation of the music or just a general inability or unwillingness for those capable guitarists to incorporate the more impressive stuff into the music?
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Are you sure? Their first album wasn't released until '91 and they didn't form until '87, so if you saw them it must have been when they were first touring around the time of their first demo...

I didn't see them live. It was some mixed tape or something.

Pat Matheny awkward? I thought he was a rather legendary guitarist? You must know something I don't.

I'm just not really a fan of most of his stuff.

Fair enough about metal guitarists, though. Do you think it's really a limitation of the music or just a general inability or unwillingness for those capable guitarists to incorporate the more impressive stuff into the music?

Don't know. It's just a sort of ambiguous observation more than anything specific. I think these qualities make metal what it is, or even hard rock. Bill Steer was a pretty popular guitarist when I was in highschool, I liked him in Carcass, but I wouldn't call anything they do "impressive". But what they do and their sound makes them who they are, and in their case, I think when they tried to get fancy they sounded worse.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:49 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I'm just not really a fan of most of his stuff.
Aha. The only thing I've really heard is the album he did with Anna Maria Jopek.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:22 pm

I posted up something new today, a little song called "White Wash":

http://soundcloud.com/esselfortium/white-wash

Tl;dr: It's a hazy-sounding summery electronic tune with an 80s vibe.

Long, technical version:
It's an experiment: I set out to create a soundalike of the 80s-infused, hazy sound of sample-based chillwave songs like Washed Out's "Feel It All Around", but in an all-original composition rather than using the established practice of sampling and slowing down an existing 80s tune to do it.

As part of the process of creating this tune, I created a rack configuration in Reason with which to effectively "sample" myself, creating an entire song and then processing the mixer's resulting stereo output as though I were working with a sample.

I also used a hell of a lot of compression, reverb, and tape distortion. Because.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:I also used a hell of a lot of compression, reverb, and tape distortion. Because.

:lol: Overboard amounts of effects are ALWAYS necessary. The song sounds cool btw.

The new Explosions in the Sky leaked!! I'm about a minute into the second song and by god I'm glad they took they're time with this album. It's...soo beautiful.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”