What are you currently playing?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:03 am

I justed started No More Heroes 2. Great stuff.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:20 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I've never understood the appeal of 'achievements'. Isn't the experience of doing something awesome in a game reward enough? Is it some sort of online bragging rights thing? OCD-like need for completeness?

DCUO had the right idea: more achievements you had, the power powerful you got. WOW gave you vanity pets.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Crysis has caused my computer to Blue Screen of Death twice now, so it's safe to say I will not be playing it anymore.
I'll be playing DA2 tomorrow, though. I'm sure I'll enjoy being disappointed by it and having a good bitch about it, according to the reviews so far.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Dragon Age 2?

I never liked that series, always prefered Mass Effect.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:04 pm

I prefer the characters and story of Dragon Age Origins, but the gameplay, graphics and locations of Mass Effect 2 (Never played ME1). Mass Effect 2 is the only game where the graphics and locations have actually impressed me, now that I think about it.
I felt the characterization was too rigid (Get ally, do their mission, they now like you) which is the main thing that makes me prefer DAO's characters. The story disappointed me for some reason, ME2's suicide mission was a million times better than DAO's last fight against the Archdemon but the build-up to the climax of DAO felt much more important to me. Maybe it was because the army you see is one you knew you'd assembled yourself, not to mention that I found the end boss of ME2 to be a bit silly
SPOILER: Show
I mean, a giant Terminator? Really?

Whether I buy ME3 or not is entirely dependent on how I feel about DA2. If DA2 sucks then Valve will be the only developers I trust to make good games.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:20 pm

To each, their own.

I thought Mass Effect 2 was actually a very good sequel to the game, apart from a lack of some freedom, it generally improved on itself from Mass Effect 1, though I'd of prefered to have most of my squadmembers with me from near the start of the game, like in ME 1.

Hopefully you can keep your squadmembers if they they've all survived when you transfer your save from Mass Effect 2 to 3.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:26 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:DCUO had the right idea: more achievements you had, the power powerful you got. WOW gave you vanity pets.

This sounds like the sort of thing that's really a "win more" condition... the sort of thing that rewards people who don't need any more help with overpowered stuff, essentially ruining any lingering challenge the game might have had.

Like in Fallout New Vegas, for example... if you kill the legendary deathclaw you get a unique grenade-firing minigun, but since that's the baddest mofo in the entire game anything more than what you've already got is just pointless overkill.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Teague » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:52 am

Well, it took over a year, but my Final Fantasy marathon just came to an end. I through to XIII.
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:01 am

Must... get... to level 60, paragon/renegade on insane.... GODDAMN MASS EFFECT.

schismatics
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate

Postby schismatics » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:30 am

Loco Roco 2 has been destroying my soul and my free time.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:56 am

Bayonetta (XBOX360) (Fast-paced, somewhat tough and so oversexualized it's bordering on parody...yep, I'm digging this one.)
Fallout: New Vegas (XBOX360) (Oh yes indeed, this be a great game.)
Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA) (I'd been feeling the nostalgia bug as of late, so...)
Rock Band 3 (XBOX360) (Yup, still playing it.)
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (NDS) (A nice little overlooked gem in the RPG department.)
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:08 am

BIONIC ARM

BIONIC ARM

BIOOONIIIIC AAAAAARMM

OOOOUUUUH!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mSbHE5iHUQ&feature=youtu.be

:rofl:

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:31 am

Atom Zombie Smasher. Coordinate relief efforts in a 3rd world country against the tide of relentless undead.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 am

Dragon Age 2.
I don't care if it's "dumbed down" I'm enjoying it a whole bunch. It did have a pretty dull start, though.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:51 am

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:Dragon Age 2.
I don't care if it's "dumbed down" I'm enjoying it a whole bunch. It did have a pretty dull start, though.

I swear, these goddamn modayrn gamers have absolutely no standards for RPGs...

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:59 am

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:Dragon Age 2.

Why!?

Of all the decent WRPG's out there...

You choose Dragon Age 2?! :headdesk:

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 pm

In fairness, DAO was fun. You'd kind of have to be living under a rock to miss the outcry over DA2 though
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

The Abhorrent
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby The Abhorrent » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:11 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I swear, these goddamn modayrn gamers have absolutely no standards for RPGs...

View Original PostTankred wrote:Why!?

Of all the decent WRPG's out there...

You choose Dragon Age 2?! :headdesk:

I suppose it was only a matter of time before some mentioned DA2.... and the vitrol started flying. Somewhere between the fandom expecting a masterful work which exceeded Origins' absurdly high benchmark and the game being merely above average (but still enjoyable, provided you're willing to look past the former), I suppose.

Please, try to remain civil on this one. Even if the game was disappointing for you, don't add fuel to fire that's been sweeping the internet for the past week.

As for myself, I too have been playing Dragon Age II and it has been enjoyable if not particularly outstanding. It's very much the equivalent of ME2 to it's original, combat has been improved but some of the other features like a strong central storyline & full-party customization have regrettably been trimmed down. Currently on hold right now; unfortunately it isn't as engaging as it's predecessor, and I'm pondering if I want to do things a little differently.

Aside from that, I've dabbled a bit in Halo: Reach on a whim. The Forge feature in particular has always been a fun thing for me, allowing one to build their own levels with the many building blocks available (digital Lego essentially). Reach made a huge upgrade for the feature over Halo 3. Threw in a couple campaign levels too, very fun. I also tried the demo for Beyond Good & Evil HD, and it appears to be a unique & enjoyable experience which I intend to be playing through fully sometime soon. Replaying Final Fantasy IX is still on my to-do list, got a bit frustrated climbing up Cleyra's trunk a few weeks back and haven't been back since. Several other old classics have been creeping into the back my mind as well.
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:16 pm

View Original PostThe Abhorrent wrote:I suppose it was only a matter of time before some mentioned DA2.... and the vitrol started flying. Somewhere between the fandom expecting a masterful work which exceeded Origins' absurdly high benchmark and the game being merely above average (but still enjoyable, provided you're willing to look past the former), I suppose.

I-it's not like Bioware has done good RPG since Hordes of the Underdark expansion pack to original NWN. :uhh:

Dragon Age is extremely average "RPG" whereas DA2 is even further dumbed down console kiddy fair

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Taking a break from Mass Effect to play Red Faction 2, not a bad game, though the first in the series is the best.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”