[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm discovering U2 for the first time. Are they the best band of the past thirty years like so many people say? I can't answer that yet, but they're surely up there.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:32 pm

No way in hell.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:53 pm

Spacemen 3 - Sound of Confusion. Pretty awesome 80s space-rock. Reminds me vaguely of Echo & the Bunnymen.

Also picked up Space Metal by Ayreon's side-project Star One, which is fucking hilarious and greatly listenable just as you'd expect from him - also if you haven't seen at least half of the movies/shows which the songs are about you are small time nerd. although I must confess I'd never heard of Blake's 7 before this album - must be more of a Euro thing

Also picked up Of Natural History by the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - no idea what to expect, I've heard so many different things about them, but I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I'm discovering U2 for the first time. Are they the best band of the past thirty years like so many people say? I can't answer that yet, but they're surely up there.

I never could get into U2, but I love Coldplay for some reason.

If you're really into U2, you might like this. They kinda go through The Edge's (man, "The Edge" is an awful stage name) style and some of his gear ( :woot: ).

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:40 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I'm discovering U2 for the first time. Are they the best band of the past thirty years like so many people say?
Only if you ask Bono.

I like U2 but they are massively overrated.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Based on what I've listened to, they're top five but not "numbah one!" like their fanboys proclaim.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:00 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Over time that's become one of my favorite DT albums. Top 3, at least. These days I actually prefer side 1 to 2, perhaps because it was a bit more musically adventurous. The Glass Prison is one of their best heavy songs, Blind Faith is one of their most tasteful and aesthetically accomplished epics, Misunderstood has some of their best instrumental textures, and Disappear is one of the most unique songs they ever did, something in the vein of Radiohead. The Great Debate is the only sub-par work there. The second side is consistently strong, but I think Solitary Shell and Goodnight Kiss are the only standouts.

Although I've only had Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence since January I have a feeling that it'll age better than Images and Words has for me - I think I can agree with you about side one feeling more adventurous, and I differently agree that The Great Debate isn't as good as the rest of the songs on the album but I like it a little more than The War Inside My Head.
Voluntary Illusion.

Leighton
Lilith

Postby Leighton » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Since we're drifting off into the rock genre. Im wondering if anyone here listens to Led Zeppelin?

I'm a fan of 70's music by the way - funk / soul / rnb and classic rock :)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:18 pm

View Original PostLeighton wrote:Since we're drifting off into the rock genre. Im wondering if anyone here listens to Led Zeppelin?
Duh. They're one of the bands in my liftetime that, at one point, I had a real obsession with. Haven't listened to them in a while because I got kinda burnt out, but I still love them. Houses and Graffiti are two of my all-time favorite albums.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sepulcural Voice
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Sepulcural Voice » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:24 pm

III and Physical Graffiti are probably my favourite Led Zeppelin albums. I actually find Presence to be a pretty underrated album at times; "Achilles' Last Stand", "Nobody's Fault But Mine", and "Tea For One" are really some of Led Zeppelin's absolute strongest songs. I have to give them a relisten, it's been a while since I listened to Zeppelin's discography straight through.

I'm not a big fan of In Through The Out Door, it's really a very inconsistent album and it doesn't really have enough highlights for me to really justify listening to it more than a few times every year. That said, I fucking love "In The Evening", that main riff is easily one of the greatest rock riffs ever.

What's everybody's opinion on Slowdive? I checked this band out, since they were one of the biggest shoegaze bands way back when and I have to say that I really like Soulvaki quite a bit. It's certainly quite different from what My Bloody Valentine brought to, a lot cleaner and more dream-alike, but certainly with a similar emphasis on simple yet entrancing melodies and a consuming sound. I need to give it more listens but it's a very good release.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:56 pm

View Original PostSepulcural Voice wrote:I actually find Presence to be a pretty underrated album at times; "Achilles' Last Stand", "Nobody's Fault But Mine", and "Tea For One" are really some of Led Zeppelin's absolute strongest songs.
Achilles' Last Stand may be the best thing they ever did, especially when they play it live. Nobody's Fault... is kickass as well, but the rest of the album is pretty forgettable, IMO. ITTOD is just meh.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:07 pm

David Lynch has released new music, some stuff previously unreleased, including music from Twin Peaks, the song he with Jocelyn Montgomery and Angelo Badalamenti entitled And Still, and stuff from Inland Empire.

Other than that, I've been listening to The Beatles. The remasters are definitely decent.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Yeah, I listen to some Led Zeppelin.

Though I've been listening to some Mastodon lately, I just keep coming back and listening to their albums over and over again.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:05 pm

A part of my recent music order arrived on Thursday (the rest should have arrived on Friday, but DHL screwed up big time) and I've been obsessed with my copy of the FictionJunction live album.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:15 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:David Lynch has released new music, some stuff previously unreleased, including music from Twin Peaks, the song he with Jocelyn Montgomery and Angelo Badalamenti entitled And Still, and stuff from Inland Empire.

What? When did this happen? Link, please? Google has failed me.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:40 pm

TOO HYPED TO SLEEP

Pokemon: The Missingno Tracks

[Edit:]

Lololol  SPOILER: Show
"Did you get more wood?"

"OHH YEAHHHH"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1mhQVyeUC8&feature=channel_video_title
Voluntary Illusion.

Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby 1731298478 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:14 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Based on what I've listened to, they're top five but not "numbah one!" like their fanboys proclaim.

It's becoming harder and harder to corrupt new souls.

One of the best U2 albums, at least in my view, is the collaboration album with Brian Eno. This is a kind of successor to Eno's "Music for Films," with some of the tracks actually being used for films (IIRC, "Heat," "Beyond the Clouds," and "Ghost in the Shell"). A number of interesting videos have been made for the songs from the album using footage from films - mainly, I think, by one individual. Some of these are Slug, Your Blue Room, Ito Okashi, and Plot 180.

A few other songs more or less in this vein: Promenade, Yoshino Blossom, Alex Descends Into Hell..., and Never Let Me Go (Bono + Jon Hassell).

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:53 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:What? When did this happen? Link, please? Google has failed me.

http://davidlynch.com/

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:15 am

Jurassic Park theme REALLY SLOW!!!

I don't know why but that really struck my fancy for some reason.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:23 am

View Original PostTankred wrote:Yeah, I listen to some Led Zeppelin.

Though I've been listening to some Mastodon lately, I just keep coming back and listening to their albums over and over again.

http://www.meh.ro/original/2009_09/meh.ro213.png

WHITE
WHALE

HOLY
GRAIL

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”