Commentary: Episode 06

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:18 am

EvangelionFan's Contribution!

Scene 01
#001: Eerily, the appearance of the fuzzy forcefield reminds me of the spray can brush in MS Paint.

#004: Ritsuko's general surprise face makes its once-per-episode appearance... a regurgitated side-angle from Episode 05. Speaking of regurgitation, here comes Unit-01 out of the ground:

#018: What goes up must come down. Makes you appreciate that 'regurgitation' remark I made before, no?

#024: And now Misato has her turn at riding the mini-elevator we first saw in Episode 01 #188

#039: Do we know anything about the properties of LCL as a gas, or is it breatheable but otherwise inert like normal/liquid LCL?

#043: Looks like the obligatory nosebleed Shinji didn't get in Episode 05 Scene 05 has finally caught up with him.

#045: Ramiel: Operation 'Phallic Motif' Engaged

Scene 02
#060: Bet you can't stop us this time... especially now that our train has a tank attached to it.

#063: ... and what is it exactly that you see? All we see is that it shoots anything that looks like an Evangelion or a tank. So the obvious solution is to disguise an Evangelion as something that isn't a tank or an Evangelion, and then, Ramiel won't shoot it at.

#077: Is there anything outside of the show that says how the armor plates were prepared?

#082: Colour-wise, this is a fairly cool shot, and it fits the tone of the episode so far.

#100: Unit-00: "Hey, what's going on in here?"
JDSF: "Nothing much, but can you put the roof back when you're done?"

#101: Although Rei coming across in episodes 01-04 as a fairly punctual girl, here we can hear that she really isn't; and it reinforces her clumsiness that we saw in Episode 05 Scene 05.

Scene 03
#119: Something I always wondered: if the shield has a gap in it for sight, won't excess heat/energy from Ramiel's laser pass through it and severely damage Unit-00?

#128: Shinji Breathes! ... Haters Gonna Hate.

#130: [Should there be a space or a full stop after Ritsuko's name in the first sentence of the description? It's a little weird to read, that's all]

Scene 04
#133: Rei: "Hello. I have come to suck your blood!"

#134: Is Rei reading it because she can't say it in her own words, because she has a respect for authority, or because she likes the official nature of the text? All of the above, I believe.

#138: Rei has no reaction to Shinji's bare-nakedness. If I recall correctly, this little gag is not included in Rebuild 1.0.

Scene 05
#152: At this point, you'll be glad to know that Evangelion Unit-00 is responsible for the wasting of New Tokyo-3, and Evangelion Unit-01 becomes the host for the instrumentality of life on Earth. Clearly, excitement is the appropriate response to their appearance.

#168: "Look at us, we can stand infront of a light source so that our features are obscured by shadows! Aren't we cool?"

Scene 06
#183: She's naked- oh, wait, she's behind a courtesy screen. Nevermind, show's over... nothing to see here.

#185: She's taking off her underwear, the show is back on!

#187: Sadly, fans would have to wait until Rebuild 1.0 to see how exactly one gets into a plugsuit. And better yet it would be accompanied by partial nudity, glorious animated partial nudity.

#197: And how exactly is Pen-Pen able to get out onto the veranda, let alone climb up onto the rail?

#205: A bond? Sounds sexy. Sadly, as anyone who has seen The End of Evangelion will tell you, it's not.

Scene 08
#271: Phallic Motif of Penetration: Achieved

#284: From a technical perspective this cut isn't particularly complex, aesthetically however, it's probably my favourite cut from this episode.

#299: It's a cool-looking targetting system. I wonder if the folks that made those NGE games back in the 90s' tried to copy it; maybe The Eva Monkey can tell us.

#305: Ramiel: HURK! AHH, I'VE BEEN PENETRATED

Scene 09
#321: Rei: Ughhh? You interrupted my nap.
#325: Rei: I was having a perfectly good nap, but you had to come along and wake me up. What are you babbling on about, anyway?
#329: Rei: Oh geez, now he's crying. How do I make him stop?
#338: Rei: ... So he just wants me to smile? If that's what it takes for someone to get a nap around here then fine, I'll comply... but there had better be a good bed and breakfast deal in it.
Voluntary Illusion.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 am

#119: Something I always wondered: if the shield has a gap in it for sight, won't excess heat/energy from Ramiel's laser pass through it and severely damage Unit-00?

I think that is exactly what happened to Unit-00... Though I don't know if that hole is for sight, or just where the landing gear used to be. A model of the space shuttle I used to have had a slot in *exactly* the same position, but I don't know how accurate it was. Here's a nice high-res shot of the underside of Endeavorer:

http://www.sciencebuzz.org/sites/default/files/images/Endv.jpg
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:15 pm

#134: Is Rei reading it because she can't say it in her own words, because she has a respect for authority, or because she likes the official nature of the text? All of the above, I believe.

...This plan has just been thought up. Rei is reading it because she didn't really have any time to learn it by heart. She has probably only just been told herself.

#034: Shinji's Synch ratio at this point wasn't high enough for him to sustain any physical injuries yet, but his psyche was still put though considerable strain - And perhaps reacted with a nosebleed. A nosebleed is something which involves ketchup (and as such allows the writers to show us that Shinji is badly hit this time), but it is also something that you can get for 'mental' reasons (One example for such a reaction being the sight of naked girls).
It is the most effective way the writers currently have to visually show us that Shinji's seriously injured here without using actual physical wounds yet. It is worth a mention that they DO give him a small first-degree burn (or at least a skin irritation, we see a red spot) in Rebuild.

#082: I wouldn't say 'maternal', but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks she looks worried.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Noriko is my wife
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Noriko is my wife » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:03 pm

View Original Postath wrote:It looks like ADV did a few mistakes there. I remember that I was surprised when I transcribed the credits of #06 from the Platinum DVDs and I found that they were identical to those of #05, except for the additional voice cast.

The staff list for both five and six is actually from episode nine.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:57 pm

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:I think that is exactly what happened to Unit-00... Though I don't know if that hole is for sight, or just where the landing gear used to be. A model of the space shuttle I used to have had a slot in *exactly* the same position, but I don't know how accurate it was.

It could be from the landing gear, but given the position of the slot and the indents around it I'd say it was put in there afterwards so it's likely for sight. Also, although the shuttle image is awesome, keep in mind that space shuttles are a two-stage and booster launch system - the transcript for the episode explicitly says the shield is a hand-me down from a single stage booster system (link).

View Original PostKendrix wrote:...This plan has just been thought up. Rei is reading it because she didn't really have any time to learn it by heart. She has probably only just been told herself.

Hey now, I wasn't criticising her. Yeah, she has only recently been told the plan, but she doesn't have to read from the text: as she read it she could have paraphrased with 'We' instead of 'Pilots Ikari and Ayanami', but she doesn't, likely for any one of the reasons I said above - and script-writing point of view, it reinforces her impassive/stoic nature.
Voluntary Illusion.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:36 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:it reinforces her impassive/stoic nature.

More importantly, I would say, it emphasizes the sense of alienation from herself which will be hammered home at the end of the episode, where she genuinely doesn't know how the entity Rei Ayanami should be behaving in this situation. Of course that alienation will become even more significant later, as Rei becomes aware of the Lilith-self within her and its increasingly powerful will to death.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:33 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:It could be from the landing gear, but given the position of the slot and the indents around it I'd say it was put in there afterwards so it's likely for sight. Also, although the shuttle image is awesome, keep in mind that space shuttles are a two-stage and booster launch system - the transcript for the episode explicitly says the shield is a hand-me down from a single stage booster system (link)

Ah. The Ritsuko from my Platinum DVDs says it's "borrowed from the space shuttle," and I hadn't clicked into that part of the episode guide until earlier today.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:24 pm

About 134: How about Rei not paraphrasing the lines because she simply doesn't see any logical reason to/ is unaware of the fact that this would sound odd to most poeople? It's definitely also a possibility.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:04 am

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:Ah. The Ritsuko from my Platinum DVDs says it's "borrowed from the space shuttle," and I hadn't clicked into that part of the episode guide until earlier today.

Ummm... Is that line about the Space Shuttle from the dub? The Platinum subtitles have:

"Yes. It's a hand-me-down from a single stage to orbit rocket."

Anyway, I had a conversation with Shin-seiki yesterday, and he pointed out something that should have occured to me instantly:

Shin-seiki: That shield couldn't possibly be from the Space Shuttle. The Shuttle's reentry shield is not a single piece; it's made of thousands of individual tiles glued to the shuttle's bottom. Not to mention the fact that a shield designed to deflect the friction heat of reentry would be useless against a beam weapon.

Me: Wouldn't that would apply to a single-piece shield from an SSTO as well?

Shin-seiki: Yes, the whole idea is ridiculous.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:23 am

With regards to the SSTO's heat shield...

1. It's shaped like the Space Shuttle, bar the slot for vision. While being shaped like the Space Shuttle is no big deal- one assumes that whatever SSTO used that heat shield had a similar aerodynamic configuration, hardly an uncommon thing in and of itself- the slot for vision seems a bit funny. Unless someone knocked out that segment of the heat shield keeping an Eva in mind, there's no reason why that gap should exist. Space Shuttles have no such slot in their Thermal Protection System, or they'd all suffer the same fate as Columbia.

2. The heat shield is obviously not made of tiles like the Shuttle TPS, as you stated. Just for the record, US Shuttles had around 24,000 and the Russian Buran had 38,000. However, both the Americans and the Russians have been looking into the possibility of a metal Thermal Protection System, which would have either been in one piece or would have consisted of overlapping panels that slid over each other with the heat of reentry. The present rate of technological progress in spaceflight means that a metal TPS will take quite a while to arrive, but the idea has been around for a long time. Nothing irrational or ridiculous about the one-piece heat shield we see.

3. The final statement you made is a good point. The Space Shuttle TPS consists of tiles that are 90 percent air, and those tiles withstand both high temperatures and dissipate heat very fast. You can put a blowtorch to those tiles and hold them in an ungloved hand ten seconds later (their interiors will still be glowing red, but the exteriors will be cool enough to hold). A metal TPS should be able to dissipate heat very fast and retain its integrity better than a TPS made of tiles. However, like you said, it won't be of any use against Ramiel's nuclear-powered death ray. The plasma during atmospheric reentry is a consequence of ram, or compression heating, and is spread evenly over the entire surface instead of being concentrated at a point. And judging from what Ramiel did to Eva-01's chest, using that SSTO heatshield really is nonsensical. It'd work, but it'd be a lot less effective than shown, practically speaking.

It's worse in Rebuild. That "Enchanted Shield of Virtue" in 1.0 is plain ridiculous...even if Ramiel's mountain-melting beam took its own time getting through it, how come the heat bouncing off the shield didn't cause Eva-00 to sink into a stream of lava? Both Evas should have been drowning in lava, by rights!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 pm

@Kendrix & esselfortium

Re: The Shinji/Rei/Asuka dynamic and Shinji never looking away from Asuka's hooters (Cut 138):

In Magma Diver he stares directly at them from the end of Cut 051 to the end of Cut 059, looking away only when she flaunts them even more blatantly by deliberately cupping them and asking her thermal expansion question. I think Kendrix is on the right track here. If it were Rei (not that she would behave that way) he would likely have realized he was staring and looked away much sooner.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:12 pm

#100: This is what Rei does to unfamiliar ceilings.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:30 pm

I´ll contribute some more (and probably something more meaningful) when I got some more time.

#007: I always loved how Eva-01´s head jolted upwards when the lift stopped.

#010: I always wondered why the ray of light isn´t perfectly in the middle of Ramiel´s mid-section.

#066: This cut shows nicely how the A.T. Field totally disregards the laws of physics/reflection.

#079: Are my eyes failing me or is that the same Ritsuko as in Cut #077?

#091: Cuts like these really make me appreciate the new movie versions.

#094: I always wondered why they didn´t just build a self-propelled positron rifle, like that mortar thing earlier.

#185: Aww yeah.

#209: I love how she talks about being bound to the Eva and then having her stand in front of the moon in that beautiful cut.

#229: I never really understood how that graph worked.

#302: I always wondered how Shinji could fire at Ramiel when Rei´s in the way blocking Ramiel´s beam with that bulky shield and all.

#305: Why does the Angel BURN?

#335: Hey, they got his glasses right. At last.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:49 pm

I wrote:#66: An example of how much reflection NGE demands.
#313: The still shots make it look like the Evas are going doggystyle. Hell yeah!

Was it inappropriate or did you guys just miss my post?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:05 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Was it inappropriate or did you guys just miss my post?

I was still trying to make up my mind whether 066 was funny. 313 is definately in, I just haven't got to that cut yet.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 am

^Appreciate it. 66 isn't as funny as it could have been if it was put on Ramiel's first appearence with his surface reflecting the sky, but that was commentary 5, and I wasn't around here. Just leave 66 out, I'm happy with 313 already.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:25 pm

In 183-189 Shinji seems to make no effort to peek at Rei's naked silhouette.

@Kendrix, does that tie into your theories about the different ways that he treats Rei and Asuka?
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:35 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:In 183-189 Shinji seems to make no effort to peek at Rei's naked silhouette.

@Kendrix, does that tie into your theories about the different ways that he treats Rei and Asuka?

In this situation, he's wondering about whether he'll live to see the next dawn or not. His sex drive can wait. I don't think this scene has anything to do with this.
- It is worth a mention, tough, that Rebuild expands this scene not only by making the curtain green, giving us a nice fanservice shot and Shinji wondering whether he's worth being protected, but also by another instance of Shinji catching himself glancing at Rei (as she discards her clothes, I think) and quickly looking away.

EDIT: (184) Oh, and @FreakyFilmFan4ever Wouldn't the steotypical way be exactly the other way around? Rei probably doesn't see any logical reason why she can't just pick up the clothes from the ground when she's done fighthing Ramiel. Her spread-out uniform on the bed from ep. 5 was in a similar state. You're most likely right about your other statement, too - Anno repeatedly used similarly 'neatly folded uniforms' in a "might not be comming back context", for example, with Asuka in the baththub in episode 24, and Rei III in EoE. And man, you know someone is nervous when they neatly fold their UNDERPANTS. (181)
Last edited by Kendrix on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:27 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:And man, you know someone is nervous when they neatly folf their UNDERPANTS

Indeed...
Only before a swimming competition it is that I fold my underwear...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:24 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:In this situation, he's wondering about whether he'll live to see the next dawn or not. His sex drive can wait. I don't think this scene has anything to do with this.
- It is worth a mention, tough, that Rebuild expands this scene not only by making the curtain green, giving us a nice fanservice shot and Shinji wondering whether he's worth being protected, but also by another instance of Shinji catching himself glancing at Rei (as she discards her clothes, I think) and quickly looking away.

What my question boils down to then, is would he have peeked, or even stared, if it had been Asuka's silhouette instead of Rei's?
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”