what's your web browser and favourite add-ons.

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:40 am

Is there an award for the nerdiest browsers out there? :wink:

With integrated AdBlock and full HTML5 video support, although it has become a little unstable since the transition from Gecko to Webkit. Too bad I can't get nspluginwrapper to work with the damned 64 bit native flash plugin anymore.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Firefox compiled with xulrunner, wifi functions, alsa, and libnotify. The addons that I use are keyconfig, perapera-kun, tineye, ad-block, flash-block, edit cookies, and faviconize tab. Since xulrunner, flash has never crashed Firefox, which is something that used to happen all the time on linux. I usually have the same instance of Firefox running for over a month at a time with no problems.

I wonder why my Firefox always leaks memory like hell. I guess it's due to all those Web Developer/Firebug kind of extensions I keep running all the time (I know, I'm too lazy to use a different profile just for them)

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:56 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:If I get into a pinch, I also use Lynx.

Real men use Links.

Actually, real men telnet to port 80.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:03 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Real men use Links.

Actually, real men telnet to port 80.

Nah, real men browse the web just like Richard Stallman does ;)

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Chromium all the way. It's lighter than Chrome, and is tailor-made for Linux. I add on the extensions that I need to, but not too many, or that just slows it down. I use Awesome Screenshot: Capture & Annotate, Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller, GMail Sender's Picture Extension, Ozone, Pimp.my.Gmail, Shortcut Manager, Smooth Gestures, StayFocusd, Turn Off the Lights, and WOT. Oh, and don't forget the Eva-01 theme. Well, it's not that many.
Last edited by AshPhoenix on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:03 pm

Firefox with Adlock Plus, NoScript, CoolPreviews, CoolIris, Screengrab, Image Zoom, Yahoo Toolbar, and spell check :grin: (English/United States and German/Germany) . For a theme I have the Space Shuttle Night Launch.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:31 am

Firefox + GreaseMonkey, duh.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:11 am

View Original Postath wrote:Nah, real men browse the web just like Richard Stallman does ;)

The irony here is that back in 97 when the first 2 way pagers were being developed, SkyTel gave us a bunch of their pagers to play around with. You got 4 direction cursor button and "enter", and 4 or 5 lines of LCD screen, and the thing was larger than my wallet. You can send it email and it can send email, it took a little while for it to actually get to/from the pager though. So we wrote a fake SMTP server that knew how to parse stuff after the "DATA" command, and we rigged up a web gateway, among other things like looking up phone numbers, that fetches a webpage, converts the HTML to some simple formatted text (including list handling), split the page into manageable chunks because the SkyTel pagers only handled emails of up to some certain size, and then encoded the links using SkyTel's special "reply" email formatting so when the webpage got to your pager, you can use the built in "reply" function to follow the links (which were just preformatted emails that fetched the URL).

We were all browsing the web (what little of it there was) using our pagers all week and when SkyTel caught wind of it, they weren't too thrilled because all the data had been crushing their network. But that didn't stop them from stealing our idea and running with it. So anyways, we were browsing the web using emails 10 years before Stallman.

TaintedHero
Adam

Re: what's your web browser and favourite add-ons.

•      
  •      

Postby TaintedHero » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:59 pm

View Original PostJUSTINBAILEY wrote:Do we have any mac users that have stuck with safari? How does it stack up to Firefox and Chrome?

I Rarely use safari, firefox seems to have problems on my mac. I am not much for add-ons except for maybe a custom skin. One thing firefox doesn't do well on a mac is large pictures in scroll boxes in posts. It wont let me scroll, there are other things that bugged me but I've forgotten what they are. I use chrome at the moment.

Chrome did stop functioning a few days ago and I went to safari while I contemplated what to do with my screwed up chrome. Re-installed and back to new!
"It's frozen, I can't get it to work", "Thats because it doesn't have a touchscreen, it's an ipod classic..."
Danger Please: Do not imitate a rapist!

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:06 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:We were all browsing the web (what little of it there was) using our pagers all week and when SkyTel caught wind of it, they weren't too thrilled because all the data had been crushing their network. But that didn't stop them from stealing our idea and running with it.
oh man, you and your pals should have tried to jump the gun on that and invented some kind of mobile web browser before smartphones were even on the market, you could have made whatever Research In Motion, Ericsson, Handspring/Palm, Nokia, Google or Apple's iStuff would have come up with on the smartphone front look as popular as OS/2
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:47 pm

Web-to-email gateways were pretty common in the mid-1990s.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 pm

^technically true, but then crossing it with the form factor of a mobile/wireless device would still have been killer
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Firefox, with the Lavafox add-on.

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:44 am

Firefox with the Flashblock and ReloadEvery add-ons.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:49 am

I love me some Firefox, yesiree. I've often caught myself spending a little too long playing with themes. Though I've played with Safari and Chrome, they never really did it for me. To be honest, though, I'm probably just used to Firefox and unwilling to change, considering I've been using it since the day I stopped using AOL (seven years ago, if I recall correctly).
I frequently herp where I should derp. Also music.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:13 am

I use Firefox for normal browsing and Opera for manga reading and when I'm playing games and don't want Firefox eating my PC speed.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Sexy Firefox 4 is out. It'll take some getting used to but I like it.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:05 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:It'll take some getting used to
Swapping the order of open in tab/open in window is throwing my muscle memory. And it breaks the current Linkification and 4chan extensions.

Better Privacy, Stylish and Greasemonkey are my core add-ons, the latter with a ton of 4chan scripts (including my own enhanced version of the YouTube URL replacer which is online at http://pastebin.com/TMuk2WYn)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:09 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:Sexy Firefox 4 is out. It'll take some getting used to but I like it.

Does it modify any of your bookmarks/config files/dbs when you upgraded? I could compile firefox-4.0-r1 in a different slot and try it out but if it messes with any of my files I'm afraid I can't easily go back.

Light
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Light » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:18 pm

I think I'll wait until all of my extensions get an update before making the transition to FF4. Sure hope it's faster than 3.6 as they make it out to be, because if I remember correctly the main buzz about FF3 was a huge performance increase compared to older versions, but in reality I found it to be marginal.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:36 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Does it modify any of your bookmarks/config files/dbs when you upgraded?
No idea -- but that sort of thing is what VMs are for.

Also, for the hell of it, a rough-and-ready EGF version of the youtube Greasemonkey script -- http://pastebin.com/zy392Waa : useful for this thread http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=1600

Save as whatever.user.js, then file > Open File and install
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”